Anyone have an Australian Shepherd?

There's an Aussie down the street from us and it loves to run up and down the fence chasing after the cars as they go by. It's a corner lot on a busy street and the dog just goes and goes and goes.

There's an Aussie down the street from us and it loves to run up and down the fence chasing after the cars as they go by. It's a corner lot on a busy street and the dog just goes and goes and goes.

Sounds like he needs a better job!

We have a 3 year old pure bred Aussie. Jake is blue merle (white, black & gray) with blue eyes. Beautiful dog. We got him at the Humane Society - 20 bucks (including neutered). He is deaf. Idiot breeders bred two blue merles, got the recessive gene - realized he was deaf (and now basically worthless -to them anyway) and dumped him.

We had just lost our collie-beagle mix of 11 years (my dog) and DH went to the shelter to see what they had. I wasn't ready for another dog - wasn't over it. My boys (7 & 9 at the time) took one look at Jake and said we had to get him - he was adorable and so affectionate. They said once people found out he was deaf, they wouldn't want him and he'd end up being put down. Couldn't say no to that. :)

He was a challenge - they are herders. Spent the first few months being "herded" and having my ankles bit. Thankfully, he outgrew it. There was the usual chewing that puppies will do. Liked to jump on and over furniture. We crated him and he picked up housetraining pretty easily. Training was not easy, he doesn't hear "NO". Everything is hand signals so there always had to be eye contact. Fortunately, they are a breed that is always watching. He listens pretty well, picked up the hand signals pretty easily. He can sit, lay down, give his paw and will come when we signal. Aussies are VERY, VERY INTELLIGENT. They needs LOTS of exercise and space to run. Jake is the most affectionate, gentle and loving dog I've ever seen. Very friendly. He is one of the most agile dogs I have ever seen. He also burps, likes to sleep in the bathtub on occaision and waits by the door to drive the kids to school with me. He can get a bit of a stubborn streak. He does shed a lot.

We had one issue with destructive behavior. After about two years, when he was left alone he would knock things over. Lamps, chairs, garbage cans. loose items on tables. So we went back to crating him when we're gone - problem solved.

All in all, as a puppy he was a challenge. They're an energetic breed. The nipping can be an issue with small kids - our special circumstances with his deafness were challenging and sometimes frustrating. There were days I wanted to take him back. We all hung in there and he's become a member of the family and really has turned into a wonderful dog - we love him more than anything and can't imagine his not being with us.

I have pm'd the Op. I was confusing breeds. Our friends have had two Australian Cattle Dogs -not Australian Shepherds. Apparently, the Cattle dogs have lots of dingo bred into them which makes them very active and wild. Carry on. My bad.

We have a 3 year old pure bred Aussie. Jake is blue merle (white, black & gray) with blue eyes. Beautiful dog. We got him at the Humane Society - 20 bucks (including neutered). He is deaf. Idiot breeders bred two blue merles, got the recessive gene - realized he was deaf (and now basically worthless -to them anyway) and dumped him.

We had just lost our collie-beagle mix of 11 years (my dog) and DH went to the shelter to see what they had. I wasn't ready for another dog - wasn't over it. My boys (7 & 9 at the time) took one look at Jake and said we had to get him - he was adorable and so affectionate. They said once people found out he was deaf, they wouldn't want him and he'd end up being put down. Couldn't say no to that. :)

He was a challenge - they are herders. Spent the first few months being "herded" and having my ankles bit. Thankfully, he outgrew it. There was the usual chewing that puppies will do. Liked to jump on and over furniture. We crated him and he picked up housetraining pretty easily. Training was not easy, he doesn't hear "NO". Everything is hand signals so there always had to be eye contact. Fortunately, they are a breed that is always watching. He listens pretty well, picked up the hand signals pretty easily. He can sit, lay down, give his paw and will come when we signal. Aussies are VERY, VERY INTELLIGENT. They needs LOTS of exercise and space to run. Jake is the most affectionate, gentle and loving dog I've ever seen. Very friendly. He is one of the most agile dogs I have ever seen. He also burps, likes to sleep in the bathtub on occaision and waits by the door to drive the kids to school with me. He can get a bit of a stubborn streak. He does shed a lot.

We had one issue with destructive behavior. After about two years, when he was left alone he would knock things over. Lamps, chairs, garbage cans. loose items on tables. So we went back to crating him when we're gone - problem solved.

All in all, as a puppy he was a challenge. They're an energetic breed. The nipping can be an issue with small kids - our special circumstances with his deafness were challenging and sometimes frustrating. There were days I wanted to take him back. We all hung in there and he's become a member of the family and really has turned into a wonderful dog - we love him more than anything and can't imagine his not being with us.

You are amazingly patient and successful with what was probably quite a handful for a long time!

I have pm'd the Op. I was confusing breeds. Our friends have had two Australian Cattle Dogs -not Australian Shepherds. Apparently, the Cattle dogs have lots of dingo bred into them which makes them very active and wild. Carry on. My bad.

I got your message and I responded! Thanks for clarifying!

Y'all I want to thank you for sharing all of your thoughts of this terrific breed. Warts and all. I talked to DH about all you guys were saying (I don't know why I thought mellow couch potato like my girl Stella-SHEPHERD-LINDA!!! The name has SHEPHERD IN IT!!!) about needing a lot to do or problems will arise. We are now thinking that adopting one of these dogs would not be fair to the dog or our family. We don't really have a big enough yard to do any kind of extensive ball throwing, no fence, we could only go for walks on a leash. No dog park either. And it gets hot to boot. So we may go back to looking at either another Bernese Mountain Dog or possibly just a plain old lovable Golden.

I really, really want to thank you guys for giving me all your input. It helped me out a lot!

Y'all I want to thank you for sharing all of your thoughts of this terrific breed. Warts and all. I talked to DH about all you guys were saying (I don't know why I thought mellow couch potato like my girl Stella-SHEPHERD-LINDA!!! The name has SHEPHERD IN IT!!!) about needing a lot to do or problems will arise. We are now thinking that adopting one of these dogs would not be fair to the dog or our family. We don't really have a big enough yard to do any kind of extensive ball throwing, no fence, we could only go for walks on a leash. No dog park either. And it gets hot to boot. So we may go back to looking at either another Bernese Mountain Dog or possibly just a plain old lovable Golden.

I really, really want to thank you guys for giving me all your input. It helped me out a lot!

As much as I love Aussi's I realize they are not for everyone and it looks like you made the right decision! Good luck in your search and post pictures of whatever you get!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter