Anyone else taking a break from Disney World after going for so long?

We came home 3 years ago with the same feeling, but still re-booked for 2014 and had one of our best trips yet. Are there changes, sure. Do I like them all, no. But I can't find anywhere else we want to go. We always compare to Disney. So we decided that is where our hearts are and we just this week finally bought DVC.

We went just about every year from when I was in 3rd grade until I graduated high school...loved every minute, amazing memories. Then I didn't go from 18 to 36. My husband and I went to a ton of other places in our 20s (Hawaii, Sedona, New Orleans, LA, NYC, etc etc), but my husband knew my heart belonged to Disney and once we had little ones I'd want to go. So when my boys were just about 4 and 6 in 2014 we went back to WDW with my parents, DH, and my boys...and then we went to DL in 2015...and then WDW again this past April...and we are going to WDW again next week (happy dance, 9 days!). That being said I have been thinking maybe we will take a break after next week's trip and try some other places. I'd like to do the Carribean and get back to the southwest (I love it there as much as I love Disney, but in different ways obviously). I do have a trip to FL planned for next April, but down in the Clearwater area and we aren't planning Disney. So, I hear what you're saying and have some of the same feelings, but I won't be surprised if I book disney again sooner than I think I will.

I don't know how the rest of the world is reacting to this stuff. I can only speak for myself and my family. We have been going to WDW for 34 years, together and separately. I would look at my Quicken program over the last 16 years and get the exact amount of money I have spent in the last 16 years alone on my Disney trips. I'm thinking that would have put a nice cushion on my retirement situation. I patiently waited for 25 years to get my children married and with children of their own to do something that I promised myself I would do on my first trip and that was to take all of them, my children, their husbands and their children to WDW as a family unit. Accomplished in 2008. That gives you some idea of the love we all had for the place.

Now, I have one day left on my traditional 10 day, non-expiring, park hopper from back a couple years. I may use that in February when I go primarily to see Universal and use up that day. After that I really do not have any idea when or if I will return. I no longer feel the same way that I used too. I know of no one in my family that has any plans to attend in the future. They have spoken about Universal, but, not about WDW. I know that is just one family that was hooked on a place that we all loved. There is a good chance that we are unique in our feelings, but, it seems unlikely. I am really sad about what has happened to the place. I don't begrudge their need to make a profit and have defended that often, but, when they completely disregard the people that have been the core for years and years in favor of new money from people with no understanding of what Disney Co. meant to people over half a century, then I cannot help but not care anymore either.

I share your sentiments. I'm resigned to the fact that Disney will never be what it once was. Although it was hard at first to admit that, it's sunk in the past couple of years. And at this point, I'm okay with that. I had an absolutely amazing childhood, parents who took me to Disney every year, and I got to experience the park in what I consider "the golden age of Disney." Golden ages never last unfortunately but sure am glad I got to experience it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter