Anyone else taking a break from Disney World after going for so long?

Pacolovestacos

DIS Veteran
Curious if anyone else feels the same way as I do. But I went to Disney every single year from about the age of 14 to 30ish. Went with family, sometimes with friends, sometimes with a girlfriend. Absolutely enjoyed it but I've decided to take a hiatus mainly for 2 reasons:

1) I started taking other types of trips (both international and domestic) and decided I was missing out on too much of the world by focusing on Disney so much

2) This will be controversial but it seemed like every year my level of satisfaction with Disney was dropping. It was always still a fun trip but with the increase in prices and the drop in what I was getting for my money, I decided it was time to stop.

Will I go to Disney World in the future? Absolutely, I might even pop down for a weekend occasionally. But to go for 7-10 days right now, I just don't see it for me. Maybe after some new things are put in place, I will.

Anyways else, anyone else feel the same or am I strange? :)

I always felt that a yearly trip was absolutely necessary but now, too expensive and too many negative changes. Will still go back but probably not every year.

Curious if anyone else feels the same way as I do. But I went to Disney every single year from about the age of 14 to 30ish. Went with family, sometimes with friends, sometimes with a girlfriend. Absolutely enjoyed it but I've decided to take a hiatus mainly for 2 reasons:

1) I started taking other types of trips (both international and domestic) and decided I was missing out on too much of the world by focusing on Disney so much

2) This will be controversial but it seemed like every year my level of satisfaction with Disney was dropping. It was always still a fun trip but with the increase in prices and the drop in what I was getting for my money, I decided it was time to stop.

Will I go to Disney World in the future? Absolutely, I might even pop down for a weekend occasionally. But to go for 7-10 days right now, I just don't see it for me. Maybe after some new things are put in place, I will.

Anyways else, anyone else feel the same or am I strange? :)

This is the first year in over 6 years that I didn't go over the summer. Last trip (two Augusts ago) there were too many walls, closed attractions, etc. for it to justify how much it cost. Not sure if I'm heading down next summer - and if I do, it will be a short trip, with Universal as a part of it.

While I occasionally envy those that go more often, I like my "go every 5 years" plan. This has happened since I was 5, and I have no problem sticking to that. It is often enough to keep me happy, but spread out enough that even the old favorites seem shiny and new.

We live in the Midwest all our lives. We've been over 40 times to DW. We went multiple times in the same year. Last trip was 4 years ago. I'm not missing it. I will probably return for another trip there in the next two years. When we go back it will be a shorter trip then in the past. I'm still a fan, but costs have soared and I agree the return is not as good as it was in the past for us.

Now, if we go it has to be with a special event going on like Food and Wine Festival or the Christmas season. That way we get a little more for our money. There are extra activities for those times of the year.

We have ventured out taking other trips and we are just as happy if not more so. In most instances these other trips have been for less money than going to DW. Even if we take a more expensive vacation somewhere it's still a better vacation than going to DW all the time.

I think we have created a balance now. I felt like a Disney fanatic before.

For us, we can't afford multiple trips everywhere every year. We've decided to expand our horizons beyond Disney. In a way Disney is artificial and there is so much natural beauty in this world and we want to see more of it.

DH & I went to Disneyland in May, spent 10 days in Disneyworld in September, and are going again in December for a 5 day Christmas trip. Maybe we have had to much Disney this year, but it hasn't been the same as it used to be. We have booked bounceback for next September but cut trip back to 7 days. I just feel like the price is getting out of reach. So many things are down for refurb or entire sections behind walls for new lands that take Disney years to finish. Also found this year that rides were constantly broken down. FP+ has caused long lines in other rides that were a walk on so matter where you go there is always a line. Less and less rides every year but prices go up. Avatar is finally going to open this summer so at least there will be something new next year. I think that maybe the time has come to find other vacation spots and only go every few years.

Glad I'm not the only one. I still love my occasional weekend in Disney but I've noticed that 2/3 days in Disney gives me my Disney fix while keeping costs down and freeing up vacation days for other adventures. Spent 2 days in Disney Tokyo after not having been to any Disney park for about 2 years and I find myself not even really thinking about the next Disney trip.

Nope. I'm in disagreement with many people who post here about WDW becoming more disappointing, etc... I love it now, in my mid-40's, as I did 35 years ago. Maybe even more. I think it's wonderful, don't find it disappointing, and the crowds...while they are bigger...don't get in my way of having a good time. The price sure stinks, but that's it. Otherwise, I'm a very happy WDW "apologist". When we lived in PA, we could only afford to go every 2 or 3 years. When we moved to GA a few years ago, we were thrilled to be closer. We bought an AP in June of 2015. So from June 2015 to July 2015 when our AP expired (long story about the "extra" time, but it was only 10 days), we took trips of the following length.
17 days
3 days
4 days
5 days
4 days
17 days

So we got a total of 50 WDW days out of our FP+. When it expired in July, the only break we decided on was our wallet. Otherwise, we would have renewed in a heartbeat. We're renewing in June and can't wait!!

Yes, there are other places we'd like to go...back to Atlantis in the Bahamas, Las Vegas, etc...but right now the focus is WDW and we're quite happy.

The next time we go, hopefully in February, it will be a year and a half, which is a long time for us. We were going twice or three times a year for a while.

I have to say, I am more excited for this upcoming trip than I have been for a Disney trip in a while. I think for me personally, less frequency might be the key to enjoying it more.

I think our onsite days are over though. I just can't pay those prices for what you get in return and I hate being locked into the Disney food. We always have a car so the benefits of the transportation aren't there for us.

We shall see :)

Yes and no. I took my first trip in 1980 and took trips sporadically throughout the years until my DS was born. From 2005 until now, we go down multiple times a year. It began with week-long yearly trips and turned into multiple, shorter stays. We also go on other trips (we've been to Europe multiple times, Alaska, Carribean, etc.) and only do WDW on a discount. We typically go to, for the most part, experience new attractions and/or shows and focus on those on our trips.

Nope, I've been going for over 30 years and instead of decreasing my trips, which started as every other year then went to every year, now I go twice a year. I still take trips elsewhere when I can get my honey to go but WDW is the perfect place for a solo traveller to go.

I understand what you are saying. The last trip we took was a short weekend trip, and I swore I'd never do that again. I did not feel like I got the value for my money compared to past trips. There were walls everywhere, to the point it became a game for me to see how many pictures of different ones I could get. But what really bothered me, were the long lines for absolutely everything. Small World 40 - 60 minutes in February??? Then we had issues with the FP system. Luckily, I took screen shots of them. The trip was the most hectic and rushed, I have ever been on. It was a pain trying to run from one FP reservation to another to an ADR, and the we'd end up with dead time in between that wasn't long enough to do anything. We walked and backtracked more, waited longer, and did less by probably half then ever before. By the time the trip was over, I said never again. If we go back it will be for 7-10 days at the least. No more yearly shorter trips in between. I don't see how to make the new FP system work well for our family any other way, and it is going to be awhile before I can save up enough for a big trip.

We have tried to take breaks in the past, and have never been able to stay away for as long as we say we will. Even now, we are trying to save up and not take a vacation until 2018 so that we can go to Hawaii for our 15th anniversary, and yeah, we just went in August and I am getting the itch to go back next year! I'll be in San Diego in March for work, so Disneyland is a possibility.

I have gone almost every year and sometimes twice a year since 1988 and I have no plans to take a break.

I just went in September. I'm going back in April.
And I'll be at DLR in June.

After April we have decided to TRY to stay away until December 2018 (The holiday season is our favorite time to go.)

I have been to England twice, France twice, Italy twice, and Switzerland once.
I have also been to Hawaii once.
Even after those trips I still want to go "home" to Disney World.

I don't know how the rest of the world is reacting to this stuff. I can only speak for myself and my family. We have been going to WDW for 34 years, together and separately. I would look at my Quicken program over the last 16 years and get the exact amount of money I have spent in the last 16 years alone on my Disney trips. I'm thinking that would have put a nice cushion on my retirement situation. I patiently waited for 25 years to get my children married and with children of their own to do something that I promised myself I would do on my first trip and that was to take all of them, my children, their husbands and their children to WDW as a family unit. Accomplished in 2008. That gives you some idea of the love we all had for the place.

Now, I have one day left on my traditional 10 day, non-expiring, park hopper from back a couple years. I may use that in February when I go primarily to see Universal and use up that day. After that I really do not have any idea when or if I will return. I no longer feel the same way that I used too. I know of no one in my family that has any plans to attend in the future. They have spoken about Universal, but, not about WDW. I know that is just one family that was hooked on a place that we all loved. There is a good chance that we are unique in our feelings, but, it seems unlikely. I am really sad about what has happened to the place. I don't begrudge their need to make a profit and have defended that often, but, when they completely disregard the people that have been the core for years and years in favor of new money from people with no understanding of what Disney Co. meant to people over half a century, then I cannot help but not care anymore either.

Went in September and will heading back in December. I am definitely conflicted about going so soon but the grandkids will all get to be together (all are coming in from different part of the country).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter