Any "crunchy" type people here??

Wonderful topic.

My only comment is if you choose not to vaccinate, please, please, please reconsider and read up on the absolutely amazing gift that vaccination has been for mankind. Better yet, talk to some older folks who remember what the 1950's were like during the summer, when polio swept through towns and kids couldn't go out an play. Read about what diphtheria does to a child and what a horrible, agonizing way to die it is. I could go on and on, but simply put, please learn about the benefits of vaccination.

Yeah, I have two in diapers so there is no way I would be doing cloth at WDW.. Sometimes you just gotta use sposies! I do plan on wearing my baby though. I am taking a double stroller, so when Ryan falls asleep and he just gets too heavy to carry I can lay him down and my toddler will ride in the front. He hates the stroller though.. I have spoiled him to the sling. :D

Anyone else here baby wear in the parks? Can you wear them on rides like dumbo and such? Rides that don't move real fast I guess I should say. lol

We brought cloth the first two cruises and firtst WDW visit we did. After that is was disposables.
I wore my babies in a sling. A big sling I ordered online from a mama. It was great. It helped so much on the islands and at WDW they just nursed in the sling while riding HM and such. They loved it and I loved it!!!

Well...the good thing for those parents who choose not to vaccinate is that most other kids are vaccinated. Their kids are kind of protected by proxy since they (hopefully) won't be exposed to most diseases that other kids are vaccinated for. ( I totally believe in vaccinating, but also think parents have the right to choose...I just hope they do their research on both sides of the argument for the reasons listed in the previous post)

I really don't wanna debate vaccinations here on a disney board.. That said please don't think us that do choose our vaccines or do not vaccinate at all are dumb or uneducated. My first two children are totally vaccinated. Then I have my third child who got up until her 12 mo shots and my fourth hasnt been at all.. If you wanna learn more why I do not please do research too. I never ever questioned them until my son got the chicken pox 2 years after getting the vaccine.. And it was NOT a small case either. Then when I started researching I was shocked. Certain vaccines are related to certain illnesses and besides do you honestly know what is in these vaccines they give to our children?? It's disturbing. I'm not saying anything about anyone who does vaccinate, it's certainly a parents choice but I wouldn't be anymore afraid for my child if half the world didn't vaccinate then I do now. I'm not totally against them either, I just wish the CDC would give a better schedule then they have now and change some of the ingredients they have in these vaccines. I can see why adults need the Hep B vaccines, why my 2 day old baby? There is no reason why they need it that early. It makes no sense to me.

Well, I tend to describe myself as Sprinkled With Granola. ;) Which tends to mean that some people think I am incredibly out-there, while others think I am basically main-stream, depending on their point of view. Btw, I tend to think of Attachment Parenting as listening to your children and parenting in the way that works best for everyone in your family, not a laundry list of things to check off. If your baby sleeps better in a crib, it isn't AP to force that baby to co-sleep! (Just as a for-instance, fwiw)

Well, I tend to describe myself as Sprinkled With Granola. ;) Which tends to mean that some people think I am incredibly out-there, while others think I am basically main-stream, depending on their point of view. Btw, I tend to think of Attachment Parenting as listening to your children and parenting in the way that works best for everyone in your family, not a laundry list of things to check off. If your baby sleeps better in a crib, it isn't AP to force that baby to co-sleep! (Just as a for-instance, fwiw)

That's how I feel too.. Not all my children have co-slept with me! If they do better alone, then so be it!! I miss them but everyone is different.

I really don't wanna debate vaccinations here on a disney board.. That said please don't think us that do choose our vaccines or do not vaccinate at all are dumb or uneducated. My first two children are totally vaccinated. Then I have my third child who got up until her 12 mo shots and my fourth hasnt been at all.. If you wanna learn more why I do not please do research too. I never ever questioned them until my son got the chicken pox 2 years after getting the vaccine.. And it was NOT a small case either. Then when I started researching I was shocked. Certain vaccines are related to certain illnesses and besides do you honestly know what is in these vaccines they give to our children?? It's disturbing. I'm not saying anything about anyone who does vaccinate, it's certainly a parents choice but I wouldn't be anymore afraid for my child if half the world didn't vaccinate then I do now. I'm not totally against them either, I just wish the CDC would give a better schedule then they have now and change some of the ingredients they have in these vaccines. I can see why adults need the Hep B vaccines, why my 2 day old baby? There is no reason why they need it that early. It makes no sense to me.

My thoughts exactly!!! I would hate for this to turn into a flame/argument thread:sad2:
I wanted to post something along the lines of of course I researced and read books about vacc or not! That is why I didn't vacc.!!!
Same with circ., organics, etc. I know so much and have found out so much about both sides of everything!
I do what I do because I could not do anything different. I vacc my first son, 11 years ago and not my 2nd because of research I had found out. My daughter cut her toe on a rusty metal vent and I got her a Tet shot and it was the worst 24 hours !!! If I put that stuff in my kids again I wouldn't be able to stand it, I would have a pannic attack!!!
Anyway, I am just so glad we can make these choices that we want to make...
and hopefully this thread won't turn into a debate because I don't look down on people and judge them for vacc or circ or formula feed., etc. It's their choice and is what works best for them and hopefully no one else will come on here and put us down or judge us either:)

Sorry if my post was interpreted negatively (spell?). I did not mean it that way at all!!! I was not implying that people who don't vaccinate do not do their research...I'm sure most do. I can see both sides of the argument and truly believe it is each families choice. Now, just don't send the wolves after me...

Sorry if my post was interpreted negatively (spell?). I did not mean it that way at all!!! I was not implying that people who don't vaccinate do not do their research...I'm sure most do. I can see both sides of the argument and truly believe it is each families choice. Now, just don't send the wolves after me...

:goodvibes No worries!! I just didn't want a debate!! This is supposed to be a happy forum!! LOL I have enough debating to do on the other forums I belong too. :lmao: :lmao:

:goodvibes No worries!! I just didn't want a debate!! This is supposed to be a happy forum!! LOL I have enough debating to do on the other forums I belong too. :lmao: :lmao:

Candice, just an FYI - we've had many, many debates about vaccines on the DIS. Sometimes they are over on the Community Board, but we've had them on the Families Board, too. Most everything you can think of has, at one time or the other, been debated or at least heartily discussed here on the DIS!!!!

BTW, I would consider myself very mainstream as a parent. I breastfed my first daughter for 4 months, cloth diapered with real cloth diapers I bought myself and laundered at home, and used a Snugli on occasion as a transportation device more than a parenting choice. Otherwise I vaccinated, would have circumcised if I'd had boys, put them in cribs, switched to formula when they weaned, etc. My younger daughter was breastfed for 3 months and never wore a cloth diaper!!

Me!!! I nursed my first for a year and a half, my second two for 3 YEARS!!!!! I only used cloth diapers (bummis) until they were about 2 and a half and then I felt bad because they were peeing in such volume I had to use lots of liner and they had this big wad between their legs:rotfl:
I baby wore all my three babies, co-sleep (and stilll sleep next to them in the same room) Did not butcher, I mean circ either of my boys, I didn't vaccinate, had a natural wonderful water birth and have been eating organic and natural foods for 10 years since I started working in a health food store! The last 10 years I have only purchased Bio-kleen and Seventh Generation products for laundry , dishwasher and dishes, Aubrey organic shampoo, soap and lotion. On top of all that I homeschool, more like unschool actually and when my babies were born they didn't get eye drops, I brought and used my own blankets and hats, and they didn't get a bath in the hospital. My youngest now 5 just started wearing regular shoes occasionally (crocs) they always wore robeez and softstar shoes.
I haven't met too many people as "natural" or "alternative" or "unconventional" as us..and I love it and will never change;)

Bolding mine.

This seems pretty snarky and judgemental to me. I hope you did not mean it as a slam to those of us who chose to circumcise their sons.

I'm semi-crunchy, and semi-not, and I would NEVER in a million years slam something some other parents did, simply because we did not believe in it.

Bolding mine.

This seems pretty snarky and judgemental to me. I hope you did not mean it as a slam to those of us who chose to circumcise their sons.

I'm semi-crunchy, and semi-not, and I would NEVER in a million years slam something some other parents did, simply because we did not believe in it.

Actually I didn't write it to slam anyone, and as I stated a couple of posts above I don't judge others on their choices:) I'm just glad we all get to make our own.
I actually wrote that because when my first son was born, our family doctor for years asked me if I wanted to circ. him. At that point in my life I was totally conventional, didn't know any different. I just thought that circ. was just what you did when you had a boy. My doc told me if I wanted him circed then he would get me another doc to do it because he thought it was butchering. He had done it for years and made lots of money doing it but just couldn't anymore. When he told me it was butchering I said no way then, even thought I did no research and knew nothing of doing it or not. I just chose not to thank god and am to this day still thankful I had that doc and he said those words!!!
I thought as I wrote that it might offend some, or cause flames and I meant to go back and change it... I will do that now, I can see where it would be offensive to some and I like others want this to stay a pleasant thread:)

Well- I guess you'd consider me crunchy- I birthed my first child in a hossy w/o drugs, my second was a homebirth, I nursed DD! until 3 1/2, DD2 just weaned at 3, used cloth diapers, coslept with each baby until age 2, we don't vaccinate, eat organically when possible, used gentle discipline for the most part.

I am going to attempt to get this thread to turn a corner.............here is a recipe for homemade laundry soap.........someone was talking about the high cost of natural products..........also if you don't have the inclination to make your own........and you live near a trader joes.........their liquid laundry soap is generic Ecover........

i just throw
1/3 c borax, 1/3 cup baking soda, and a squirt of dr. bonners liq soap ( like 2 tbsp) right into the washer.......

here is another way to make powdered laundry soap cheap
1 cup grated Fels Naptha soap
1/2 c borax
1/2 cup washing soda
just mix it all together, and use about 1 Tbsp for a washload, more or less depending on the washer and size.

we don't use any chemical products here, all natural, I make a lot of what we use, soap etc........

Just an honest question - are words like sposie and hossy part of a "crunchy" vocabulary used on other boards? I have never heard them before.

Just an honest question - are words like sposie and hossy part of a "crunchy" vocabulary used on other boards? I have never heard them before.

while i've never heard the term "hossy" used for hospital before, "sposie" referring to disposable diapers part of my vocabulary. i learned it back when i was researching cloth diapers before my son was born. i saw it on livejournal, i think?

"Sposie" is used all the time on the other cloth diapering boards I go too.. "Hossy" I hear all around in main streamers and those who home birth.. Just a short word for hospital. LOL

Candice, just an FYI - we've had many, many debates about vaccines on the DIS. Sometimes they are over on the Community Board, but we've had them on the Families Board, too. Most everything you can think of has, at one time or the other, been debated or at least heartily discussed here on the DIS!!!!

Thanks Liz! I had no idea it has ever been discussed here! I'm not now making my way to the community board, it seems like I stay here. LOL I just didn't want a heated debate, I wasn't sure what the rules are and didn't want to get in trouble.

I'm pretty crunchy in some ways, but not in others.

I had drug-free natural childbirths, but in a hospital. I breastfed my DD until she was almost two and plan on extended breastfeeding with DS. We're vegetarians and do mostly organic at home, but I don't stress myself out about it when we are out and about (I'm talking about organics, not vegetarianism...that's 100%). I love babywearing, but my 18 pound 3 month old might end up in the stroller more if he keeps gaining weight the way he has been! I delay/selectively vaccinate.

We don't really co-sleep. DS naps in our bed a lot and he'll sleep in our bed sometimes if he wakes up in the middle of the night, but he is in the crib for his long stretch during the night. I use disposable diapers. After much debate and thought, we ended up circumsizing him. We didn't finalize our decision until after he was born. I'm still not sure if we made the right decision, but not much that I can do about that now.

I guess I'm selectivly crunchy....we co-sleep, breastfeed, baby-wear, trying to buy more organic. I like to use homeopathic remedies and massage when possible, but am not opposed to modern medicine. We do vaccinate. I had aspirations to use cloth diapers, and even was given some nice ones as hand-me downs, but working 40 hours it has been hard to pump enough milk in the time I have and I feel like I'm doing all I can. I felt like time-wise I had to choose between 'in put and output' so pampers it is!

I don't know if this is "crunchy" or not, but lately we have been paying more attention to where our 'stuff' comes from and trying to support companies with fair labor practices (ie not sweatshop made) and companies that support good works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter