Anti-Disney

Two possible answers.

1) If you care about her ever trying again: "I'm so sorry you didn't have a good time. If you want to try again I'd be happy to share my planning tips! We have solutions to lots of those problems that would make it much more magical next time!"

2) If you don't: "Sorry you didn't enjoy it. We're going to have a blast. Pass the bean dip."

Don't let it get you down. I'm guessing poor planning had a big part in her negativity. And if she says anything about it again- especially the rain part...I'd probably respond by saying "why would you go to WDW without ponchos and other rain provisions? I mean, it's FL...it rains." I'm sure it will tick her off, but the reality is that you can't win with people who refuse to plan and just want to be negative about it. If she acted like this towards you b/c she knows you're a WDW fan, don't let her win by ruining your excitement. You are going to have an amazing trip and in the end, that's really waht matters. :goodvibes

I know of a family that went recently with her kids. She wasn't impressed and was disappointed. She didn't like the fact that you had to wait in line to meet a "person in a suit"...she was hoping that Mickey Mouse would just be wandering the park. She said that she was expecting more and waited her whole life to go......but I don't think they planned much..even though I was throwing tips left and right....You know you love Disney and that's all what counts! :) Have a great trip!

Get your joy back! Negativity is such a bummer, no pun intended. When you get back, just tell everyone what a great time you had. Attitude, over altitude.

I like bumbershoot's suggestion. Brush it off. Different people have different experiences and expectations. I've often had a blast at DLR in the pouring rain. I have a friend who, when I was mentioning planning our upcoming trips already, also talked about their kids' vacation at WDW and yeah, it was great but she wants to hopefully not go back for the pre-packaged kind of experience. I told her I like prepackaged. :rotfl:

Don't let anyone rain on your parade; you know you'll have a great time! Too bad some people don't get it, but kind of glad or everyone would always be there and make the crowds crazy!

my sister is anti-Disney for some reason. Before my most recent trip she went on and on about how horrible and evil a company Disney is b/c they're so expensive that they discriminate against people who can't afford to bring their kids and they're supposedly "for kids" but they're so expensive that not even all kids can go, therefore = evil. :rolleyes2 Then when I stated that they're not really "just for kids" - that a lot of adults go without kids, and that led to another rant about what kind of adults would go without kids? :rolleyes2:rolleyes2 What else........ oh yes, the families who go every year - she can't imagine why anyone would want to go EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR; Once every 5 years should be plenty sufficient. :rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2 Oh - and people who go for longer than a week. She can't imagine why anyone would subject themselves to that, 3-4 days is LONG ENOUGH for her. :rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2:rolleyes2

I said I thought the state of Hawaii was discriminatory b/c we can't afford to go there. :laughing:

LOL - you guys made me laugh. :rotfl2: Thank you!

Yes, I have brushed it off. My family will have a good time, rain or shine.

Maria

We have been there numerous times during hurricane season and it's still AWESOME!!! My BFF's dh was anti WDW but he FINALLY caught the fever! I work w/ people who complain about it. I am sarcastic so they quickly shut up w/ my comments. Cheer up! Enjoy your WDW fever!

I said I thought the state of Hawaii was discriminatory b/c we can't afford to go there. :laughing:

:rotfl:

Ireland discriminates against me in the same way, as do New Zealand and Australia. Not to mention the fact that the last two in my list went and put HUGE oceans, with even longer over-ocean time than Ireland and WA, between us, making the plane trip entirely too long and nerve-wracking for me. :upsidedow

I still want to give that co-workers a map with the FP explanation!

:rotfl:

Ireland discriminates against me in the same way, as do New Zealand and Australia. Not to mention the fact that the last two in my list went and put HUGE oceans, with even longer over-ocean time than Ireland and WA, between us, making the plane trip entirely too long and nerve-wracking for me. :upsidedow

I still want to give that co-workers a map with the FP explanation!

Spare a thought for us......we have to cross those HUGE oceans just to go see a mouse.

:sad: <--- And that is why there is so much water in those oceans!

:scratchin Just had a thought that I was trolling without adding any value to the OP......

OP - I don't even try to defend Disney to anyone. I spend my time here sharing the love with like-minded friends-in-a-box. I let everyone else have their own opinion. Afterall, everyone is entitled to their own opinion (no matter how wrong it might or might not be....;)) and I don't always like what everyone else likes (no matter how wrong it might or might not be....;)).

So, whenever I go on holiday to see the Mouse, I don't even rave about that part of the holiday. I talk up everything else and then casually mention that we are also going to Disney for a bit.

And if anyone has anything negative to say, I just listen, put on my teflon and kevlar suit, and shrug it all off when they finish.

We all love Disney....share it here....and don't worry about what anyone else might say about it. The truth is out here! ::yes::

OK. So, I'm at work and excited about my trip to Disney. A co-worker heard me talking about my plans and proceeded to tell me how they went and it rained all week they were. She will NEVER EVER go back again. And, all the bad stuff that happened. First, I don't think she did her research so she probably went during Hurricane season. Second, I just felt like someone just burst my Mickey balloon. I just said,"Too bad" and walked away. But, it kind of bummed me out.:(

Maria

She was mean to rain on your parade.

But not eveyone likes Disney, or needs to like Disney.

And some people simply set themselves up for failure. They don't plan, they don't do any research. They don't know about fastpasses or EMH. They assume they'll show up when they feel like rolling out of bed, hit the parks, and they'll be the only ones there. I think that's the case with the vast majority of people who go once and have a horrible time. Yes, it's possible to not like Disney. But you're tilting the odds when you don't plan.

Rain happens-- everywhere. You bring ponchos. And you don't let something like weather ruin your vacation plans. We were in Disney the day Tropical Storm Faye rolled into Orlando. It was great-- we had the Magic Kingdom to ourselves.

The person you work with has never learned the abilty to make lemons into lemonade-- how very sad.

I, too, have had similar conversations with people at work about my upcoming disney trip. More commonly is "you're taking all your kids to disney?!" I have 3-so, uh, yeah. Taking them "all"-no one is staying home in the closet....by the way... we aren't the DUGGARS. lol.

I get, "you're taking a baby to disney world?"-yes, been there 2x with one. No biggie.

I get, "are you taking walkie talkies so you guys can split up?"-Um, my kids are 7 and 5. I think NOT.

"Aren't they going to drive you crazy?" or just plain "Are you crazy?"-to which I answer- "Yes," and "yes".:rotfl:

I follow this up by the fact that I LOVE disney world and would be going with or without kids.

To each their own!!

I am excited and counting down already...and don't care who knows it!:dance3:

I'm the crazy Disney obsessed one at Disney World. I've a had a couple of co-workers roll their eyes and shake their heads. But I totally, get that. I can't see them at WDW either. Their just not those kind of people. I think we are a special select group. I'm proud to be part of the club and Maria- I say WELCOME!

My name is Jennifer and I have a problem. I'm addicted to a Mouse...

Different strokes for different folks. We go every August for the past 8 yrs!! We love that time of yr. Is it hot? Yes, Does is rain? Yes. We find that it works for us. Its hot at home too. People look at us like we have 4 heads when we say we go every yr in aug.

Out of 8 yrs of going we only hit one year with a tropical storm. let me tell you it rained every day-- and not just sprinkles down pours and windy. It was in 08- tropical storm Fay. We had our 9 day trip and it rained every day all day. Our return train (Autotrain) home was cancelled due to the storm and flooding. We opted to stay at WDW then try to drive thru the storm on the way home. To this day it is still considered the best trip ever. We constantly talk about how great of a time we had. We extended our trip 5 days till the next available train had space for us. We moved from OKW (dvc'ers) to CR (garden wing). We had purchased annual passes for that year and we just kept going. It was a blast!!

I have friends that just dont' get disney. They visited and said they never go back. One family their kids didn't like the rides another family had gotten sick and just had a miserable time. Which is fine with us. Others didn't do the research and just winged it. My boss just doesn't get it either.

Let it roll off and remember that there is more people that enjoy it than they did. Don't let it bum you out. You know what it is all about. THey missed the boat on it.

We were also there when Tropical Storm Fay decided to pay a visit. We were in Ft. Wilderness, and the tenters and pop ups and a lot of trailers quickly disappeared. We have a MH, and were a little leary of falling limbs, etc. but actually it never got too bad - was a lot of flooding then (they've since fixed a lot of that problem there). Every morning, we had a brochure on our door keeping us updated on the storm, and what we should be doing. They said if the winds went beyond 35mph sustained, they would have us move to a hotel, but they didn't, and we did fine. We are from south LA, so were used to hurricanes and TS's, so knew what to look out for. One thing we weren't going to do was drive home in it :scared1: We had quite a time dodging the frequent downpours and just went with the flow ::yes:: (can't quite say like you though that this was one of our best trips ;)) But heat and summer thunderstorms are part of the deep south and we just deal with it :woohoo:

OK. So, I'm at work and excited about my trip to Disney. A co-worker heard me talking about my plans and proceeded to tell me how they went and it rained all week they were. She will NEVER EVER go back again. And, all the bad stuff that happened. First, I don't think she did her research so she probably went during Hurricane season. Second, I just felt like someone just burst my Mickey balloon. I just said,"Too bad" and walked away. But, it kind of bummed me out.:(

Maria

something else must have happened OR Disney is just not in her blood yet :confused3 people have came back and say they wore out and they did not get on rides well they also did not check touring plans or read anything before they went :worried: I am always glad to help people but some think they know it all and go ahead and then become haters of Disney for say "it rained" well now that is not Disney's fault.:confused3 and you also know there is a lot to do if it rains (of course we all hope it don't but that happens at home as well or the beach) People also love to say Oh your going there AGAIN :stir:and I am like yep I am...:banana:then the next question is how do you afford it? well again do your home work...go when free dining or when and if can find decent discounts. stay in a moderate or value resort. like we started out in deluxe years ago and then to mods and then to values and have now went to POP last two trips and this one coming up. we have a pool and hot tub at home and if want to just lay around we can go to the Marriot Hotel here. we uses to go to the beach and rent a condo and spend way more on getting groceries and buying crap than we ever do in WDW. don't let anyone rain on your Mickey Parade.:love:throw her a little pixiedust:

We were also there when Tropical Storm Fay decided to pay a visit. We were in Ft. Wilderness, and the tenters and pop ups and a lot of trailers quickly disappeared. We have a MH, and were a little leary of falling limbs, etc. but actually it never got too bad - was a lot of flooding then (they've since fixed a lot of that problem there). Every morning, we had a brochure on our door keeping us updated on the storm, and what we should be doing. They said if the winds went beyond 35mph sustained, they would have us move to a hotel, but they didn't, and we did fine. We are from south LA, so were used to hurricanes and TS's, so knew what to look out for. One thing we weren't going to do was drive home in it :scared1: We had quite a time dodging the frequent downpours and just went with the flow ::yes:: (can't quite say like you though that this was one of our best trips ;)) But heat and summer thunderstorms are part of the deep south and we just deal with it :woohoo:

I totaly understand the storm and the need for safety but leaving my MH wouldn't bw an option for me:scared1: I might send the wife and kids off but I ain't leaving.
BTW I have also never left my car on the side of the road when I have had problems::rolleyes2

You can see why some people do not like Disney or WDW for that matter. I have friends who have classed it as 'fake' and 'tacky'. I hate it when people say bad things about a place that I am so fond of but I suppose WDW does not appeal to everyone.

I must say, I have no sympathy for people that go to WDW, don't plan, and have a bad time. Even with a little research you can get so much more out of your holiday. Deciding whether to stay onsite or offsite- for us, onsite was magical. The free dining plan we got made our holiday so much better too- meeting characters and enjoying delicious food. I just cannot see how people can spend thousands of pounds or dollars on a holiday and not make the most of it, plan, or even research the place they are going to.

I have had friends who have gone and not known about Fastpass until they came back and moaned about how awful their holiday was, and how bad the queues were. I have also known people who went in August and complained about the heat, humidity and rain. If they'd have done just a tiny bit of research they would have found that out before they'd have booked for that time of year! :rotfl:

We went in August and loved it. I guess the heat does appeal to some people, like us! Being from rainy, cold, cloudy England, we just loved the Floridian weather :goodvibes

I have found that 98% of people have been excited for our trip and remembered theirs fondly or hoping for a chance to go at least once. 2% did not have a good time thought it was overpriced and over commercialized. While I couldn't tell them differently they did not do any homework on the Disney day and only did one day choosing to do AK, :confused3 I am pretty sure with only a day I would not choose that park, I did not ask at what time in the morning they showed up but they though the lines were too long for the rides and they had my grandparents who thought there was too many people and too much walking.

I smiled at their trip and said I was sorry they didn't think it was a great trip and while it bummed me for a smidgen I am over it! And getting excited with my kids for our adventure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter