Anti-Disney

MOUSEANDALL

Mouseketeer
OK. So, I'm at work and excited about my trip to Disney. A co-worker heard me talking about my plans and proceeded to tell me how they went and it rained all week they were. She will NEVER EVER go back again. And, all the bad stuff that happened. First, I don't think she did her research so she probably went during Hurricane season. Second, I just felt like someone just burst my Mickey balloon. I just said,"Too bad" and walked away. But, it kind of bummed me out.:(

Maria

Even Disney can't control the weather. :rolleyes2 We never let the rain stop us. One year we went to AK on a drizzling day....wore our ponchos and walked on every ride. That was our best day at AK ever. Look at the bright side.....one less family in the parks:thumbsup2

OK. So, I'm at work and excited about my trip to Disney. A co-worker heard me talking about my plans and proceeded to tell me how they went and it rained all week they were. She will NEVER EVER go back again. And, all the bad stuff that happened. First, I don't think she did her research so she probably went during Hurricane season. Second, I just felt like someone just burst my Mickey balloon. I just said,"Too bad" and walked away. But, it kind of bummed me out.:(

Maria

I know Disney is magical, but I wasnt aware they were able to control the weather!!

Don't let her burst your mickbubble!!! I agree with PP, one less person/family we have to wait behind in line!!

The time I booked in August was the only week that we really available for us as far as time goes. I don't care if it's hot, rainy, crowded, or whatever. I just plan to go and enjoy seeing my child experience the magic!! I will buy rain pochos and sun screen so I will be prepared. :) I can't control any of those things above, just my attitude toward them, and I have decided to make happy memories!!!

:confused3 Disney hasn't learned how to control the weather yet, shame on them. LOL! I just love it when people blame Disney for bad weather and poor planning. It rained a bit on our last trip also but we still had a blast.

I try not to let these sort of people get to me. We were there last month and had quite a few 'bumps' in our vacation and I needed to change our plans around at the last minute. Each of my kids ended up being sick at one point or another. so I spent a LOT of my evenings washing clothes and hanging out in the laundry room, and it even rained a lot towards the end. My husband laughed when I bought ponchos before our trip, but he didn't laugh when I pulled them out of the bag whilst in the park. The rain did not stop us from having a great time with the kids, whilst so many other people ran and hid from the rain.

I think that there is a huge difference between people who plan and prepare for the trip vs those who don't.

A few days ago my husband was speaking with someone who said that he had a bad time in WDW, because the lines were so long and he didn't want to pay extra to use fastpass. And he still does not believe my husband that it is free and is jealous that we had hardly any long waits at all.

One less family in the parks. Some people go without any research or planning. They run into snafus and then blame Disney. So they vow never to go back. There's no changing their minds. The only thing I would have recommended you do different was smile when you said "too bad."

Even Disney can't control the weather. :rolleyes2 We never let the rain stop us. One year we went to AK on a drizzling day....wore our ponchos and walked on every ride. That was our best day at AK ever. Look at the bright side.....one less family in the parks:thumbsup2

Oh, didn't you know Disney has a dome they can put up to stop it from raining in the World? Silly you.... :rolleyes2

Actually, I love going in the rain. Well, a gentle rain. Not such a big fan of hard driving, downpours with thunder and lightning. But rain generally lowers the crowds. DD and I rode Dumbo as a walk-on the first evening of our last trip because it was raining. It had downpoured while we were at dinner at Ohana. But after dinner, it had lessened to more of a drizzle. The MK was almost empty.

I would have been tempted something snarky like "Yeah, I'm sure it never rains on anyones vacation anywhere else" and then reminded her that Disney doesn't control the weather, but after it happened the first time, I learned that it's not worth even bothering to do that.

But really, different strokes for different folks. Several of my friends took their families to Disney World for vacation (and one of my brothers, too), and all came back saying that it was too hot,too crowded, too expensive and 'not that much fun'. I think they just didn't plan well, didn't know what to expect and/or had bad attitudes. But then again, these same families always rave about how FABULOUS their vacations at the Jersey Shore or Myrtle Beach or camping/hiking are. And to me, those vacations sound like pure torture.

Its not for everyone, and there's no point trying to defend your vacation choice to them. It's also not worth trying to explain to them why they probably didn't enjoy it (poor planning, lack of ADRs, not knowing how to use fast pass, etc) I'm not likely to change their mind about where I love to vacation, and they aren't going to change my mind about what I consider to be a fun vacation.

Different strokes for different folks. We go every August for the past 8 yrs!! We love that time of yr. Is it hot? Yes, Does is rain? Yes. We find that it works for us. Its hot at home too. People look at us like we have 4 heads when we say we go every yr in aug.

Out of 8 yrs of going we only hit one year with a tropical storm. let me tell you it rained every day-- and not just sprinkles down pours and windy. It was in 08- tropical storm Fay. We had our 9 day trip and it rained every day all day. Our return train (Autotrain) home was cancelled due to the storm and flooding. We opted to stay at WDW then try to drive thru the storm on the way home. To this day it is still considered the best trip ever. We constantly talk about how great of a time we had. We extended our trip 5 days till the next available train had space for us. We moved from OKW (dvc'ers) to CR (garden wing). We had purchased annual passes for that year and we just kept going. It was a blast!!

I have friends that just dont' get disney. They visited and said they never go back. One family their kids didn't like the rides another family had gotten sick and just had a miserable time. Which is fine with us. Others didn't do the research and just winged it. My boss just doesn't get it either.

Let it roll off and remember that there is more people that enjoy it than they did. Don't let it bum you out. You know what it is all about. THey missed the boat on it.

Why do you care what she thinks about Disney? There are probably millions of people who don't like WDW and that's OK. I have no desire to ever go to NYC, but I hear lots of people like it.:laughing:

I feel bad for your co-worker's family -- I can only imagine what she says to them. I hope she doesn't discourage family members from going to the parks.

I don't think you'll be able to change her mind on this one. Some people are just stubborn in what they think is the truth.

I'm glad you found a support system here on the dis boards.

I guess I would try to be sensitive to your co-worker regarding discussing your plans and the wonderful trip you've had when you get back to work. Why make things uncomfortable for everyone?

My best friend in the world took his family to WDW a few years ago and hated it.
The kids didn't want to ride anything and the DH complained all the time.. no fun at all. :( I think that WDW can be overwhelming at times and if your not totally prepared you can get easily frustrated...

Its too bad because I love going to Disney with other families and would have enjoyed his company and I honestly think that our family could help his family have a BETTER time a WDW but he's never going again. I certainly never bring it up other than were going to WDW on vacation..

Luckily I have other friends/families that love to go as much as us.

One thing I learned in life (and it took me a looong time) was not to be concerned with what other people think or say. You love Disney, you're excited about Disney, so who cares what she thinks!! I know it's easier said than done, but I have learned not to let other people's bad attitudes affect me. It took lots of practice b/c I have a sister in law who is always saying negative things pertaining to anything in my and her brother's life. I let it roll off my back now. Sorry if I'm rambling a bit but I would just suggest trying to forget she even said that to you. Your Disney trip will be what you make of it, and I'm sure it will be filled with fantastic memories!! :thumbsup2 And yes if you have other co-workers you can talk to about it, that'd be great. I know how fun it is to share your love of Disney with others, I am fortunate that I have a boss that loves Disney like me... but aside from him no one else at my job could give a rat's butt. :confused3

Ahhh. A rain cloud over the parade. I love those people. I have discovered that about 90% of naysayers, who have negative negative negative to say about Disney, are just jealous. You're excited, they have to bring you down, so they pull out their horror stories. That's when you give her a knowing little smile, and say, "I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your Disney trip, but I have planned for a time of year where rain isn't a problem, and I KNOW we are going to have a blast! I can't wait!".

What I love, is the people who start talking about the cost of a Disney vacation. People who have never gone, and don't even really know what it costs. People who don't know my finances and have no business bringing up the cost. Yes, it's not cheap, but it's not as expensive as most people think it is.

I hated Disney World the first time we went. We went during spring break and did no type of planning. We spent all of our time standing in line and waiting standby at restaurants. The bad outweighed the good.

Of course it was this way because it was our first time there in a very busy time with no plan and slept until 10am because this is vacation. :rotfl2:

We were not ignorant people, we had just never been to any type of place like Disney World and had no idea the amount of people that were going to be there and also the sheer size of the place. I told people that I hated and loathed the place for months after that. :stir:

Luckily we did eventually go back with a plan, but I can understand when people say they hate it, and I know exactly why. But it has no effect on how I feel on my upcoming trip. I know we will have a great time :yay: and I could care less about whether or not they like the idea of going back. You know what I mean?

The last time we went my boss was telling me how he thought it was a terrible idea to go - that he would rather go skiing or to the beach.... it kind of bothered me but I just let it go because it was our vacation. Not his.

:sad2:

Don't let your co-workers opinion of Disney affect your excitement. A vacation is what someone makes of it and she obviously didn't make much of hers. Rain is definitely a damper :lmao: but if that's the worst that happened, so be it.

Last fall I planned a trip to The World for a co-worker, her husband and their 3 teenage children; none of them had ever been and all of them had always wanted to go. I couldn't wait to hear about how much fun they had but instead heard nothing but stories of disappointment. "It wasn't what we expected, at all, and I don't know how you can keep going back there." Her opinion, not mine. I was disappointed that they didn't fall head over heels in love with my favorite place but to each their own! I took her stories with a grain of salt and spent 7 fantastic days and nights there a month later. :cloud9:

A couple Mays ago it was practically flooding, it rained so much and so thoroughly. If she went then, I can sort of understand her misery. I remember reading posts of people talking about it, and even die-hards were having troubles with all the rain.

A few days ago my husband was speaking with someone who said that he had a bad time in WDW, because the lines were so long and he didn't want to pay extra to use fastpass. And he still does not believe my husband that it is free and is jealous that we had hardly any long waits at all.

I would be simply forced to bring in a simple park map that explains FP, or pull up the page on the website about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter