Another toilet training thread😝

stephk1981

DIS Veteran
We leave for our next trip in 16 days( added on 5 nights, yay!). DD will be 2 a few days after we check in. A couple of weeks ago we got her new potty seat. I didn't think she'd use it right away........but, for the past week she has been using it without us really pushing her to use it. Exciting! However, I didn't really count on her being potty trained. She won't go on ' the big potty' and won't sit on the potty insert I bought on Friday. She will only use the little potty. We are really close to the trip. Do I just keep her in diapers in the parks? She tells me when she needs to go, but I don't think we could make it back to the resort. Do I cart a toilet training potty around with us🤣? Or just stop encouraging her to use the toilet until we get back from our trip? My DS took forever to toilet train and finally wasn't fully toilet trained until nearly 3, so I thought it would take much longer! Any suggestions welcome!

Last edited:
Use pullups for sure. You don't want to have to pack tons of clothes to change accedents. Imo just go with the flow and if she requests her little potty tell her you don't have it the only option is the bigger one. See what happens. Maybe take a few trips to the mall see how she does.

Use pullups for sure. You don't want to have to pack tons of clothes to change accedents. Imo just go with the flow and if she requests her little potty tell her you don't have it the only option is the bigger one. See what happens. Maybe take a few trips to the mall see how she does.
I will look into pull ups! She has been allergic to every diaper we tried until Honest brand. I think they make trainer pants too though. Thanks!

Don't stop encouraging it, I made that mistake last year and we're still in diapers...

She's probably afraid of falling in, but when I made it clear I would hold her, my daughter got less afraid of that.

I would personally stick with diapers/pull-ups. I know someone who did cart a potty around WDW and it seemed crazy to me. Not what I would want to deal with in the parks all day. Also, she might be more likely to have accidents in just underwear if she’s in a such a busy and stimulating environment like Disney.

Is she wearing underwear at home? If you want to encourage her to go during the trip and not totally go back diapers, I would put a pull up over the underwear. That way if she has an accident you’re only stuck with dirty underwear and not the entire outfit.

Do they have smaller toilets in the baby care centers? I know Disneyland does, not sure about Disney World. My LO doesn't pee in the big toilets either. We just did a long weekend trip to DL and I put my almost 2 YO in diapers for the park days - out of laziness on my part, I didn't want to take her to the baby care center every 2 hours :lmao:

I told her diapers were only for the parks, and she went right back to peeing in her little toilet once we got home. Pull-ups are a great idea, we just already had diapers.

I'd get a portable potty seat (or bring your insert if it is the kind that folds up) and encourage her to use it. Bring pull-ups for her to wear in case she decides she wants nothing to do with it.

I have not experienced potty training at Disney, but have for other trips. I would definitely do pullups for the parks but keep trying to encourage her try to go in the park bathrooms. When my kids were small we gave them a few mini M&Ms as a reward. They got a few for #1 and a few more for #2. My son had a harder time with it so for him we would give him the mini's even if he just sat for a while. I also bought a smaller travel potty for when we were away from home. It was smaller to pack in a bag and now my kids are fully potty trained but I keep it in my car just in case! Its a big joke in my house that I have a potty in my car, but ya never know when someone will say they have to go!

I would personally stick with diapers/pull-ups. I know someone who did cart a potty around WDW and it seemed crazy to me. Not what I would want to deal with in the parks all day. Also, she might be more likely to have accidents in just underwear if she’s in a such a busy and stimulating environment like Disney.

Is she wearing underwear at home? If you want to encourage her to go during the trip and not totally go back diapers, I would put a pull up over the underwear. That way if she has an accident you’re only stuck with dirty underwear and not the entire outfit.
Lol...I was definitely joking, I am not carrying a potty around......plus through bag check...oh gosh, that must have been a conversation when the bag check security guy found that!
She is currently still just wearing her diaper, she tells me she has to go and we run into the potty to go. It has only worked at home, when she says she has to go, that means in 20-30 second warning normally. I just have been taking her diaper on/ off. She goes a lot......as in every 20-30minutes too. She's always peed all the time, but I've definitely noticed it more the past week and half since I've been taking up most of my day taking her back and forth to the bathroom.
I will bring the potty seat to the resort. we are only a few hours away, so we drive and can load the car up! Thanks!

Don't stop encouraging it, I made that mistake last year and we're still in diapers...

She's probably afraid of falling in, but when I made it clear I would hold her, my daughter got less afraid of that.
She probably is! I bought the potty seat insert like we had with our DS so that the hole doesn't look as big......She just won't sit on it yet :( maybe I can try bribing her with a candy if she sits on it lol!

Do they have smaller toilets in the baby care centers? I know Disneyland does, not sure about Disney World. My LO doesn't pee in the big toilets either. We just did a long weekend trip to DL and I put my almost 2 YO in diapers for the park days - out of laziness on my part, I didn't want to take her to the baby care center every 2 hours :lmao:

I told her diapers were only for the parks, and she went right back to peeing in her little toilet once we got home. Pull-ups are a great idea, we just already had diapers.
They might have them in the baby centers, I don't know if we'd make it there bedore she goes though🤣. I don't want to lose progress, but I think I will probably just use pull ups like many of you have suggested in the parks. If she'll go on the pottyinsert I have, great, if not. Oh well! When in the room she can use her little potty. Thanks everyone!

Lol...I was definitely joking, I am not carrying a potty around......plus through bag check...oh gosh, that must have been a conversation when the bag check security guy found that!
She is currently still just wearing her diaper, she tells me she has to go and we run into the potty to go. It has only worked at home, when she says she has to go, that means in 20-30 second warning normally. I just have been taking her diaper on/ off. She goes a lot......as in every 20-30minutes too. She's always peed all the time, but I've definitely noticed it more the past week and half since I've been taking up most of my day taking her back and forth to the bathroom.
I will bring the potty seat to the resort. we are only a few hours away, so we drive and can load the car up! Thanks!
I thought maybe I was the weird one for never even considering carrying a potty with me! I was quite shocked when my friend told me she did it.

I would just keep encouraging her at home until you leave and then continue while you're there. She can use the little potty at the hotel. Maybe she'll try on the regular toilets while you're in the parks. She might surprise you. Disney is pretty magical, lol!

If she is still in diapers, I’d keep doing what you are doing and stay away from pull-ups. They do not help with potty training. When you get back, since she goes on the little potty, have her just go bare bottomed, and tell her she can use the potty when she has to go.

I put my son in pull ups and took him to the bathroom ALL THE TIME. I think we found literally every bathroom in MK and Epcot. 🤣😆 He was fine. He used the big toilets no problem. No accidents in the pull ups. However, each kid is different. No one can make sweeping recommendations for you (like use pull-ups for sure vs never use pull ups.)

Another vote for not stopping what has already been started re: toilet training. Seems counterproductive.

I've no idea what height are the toilets the baby care centers but there are videos at youtube showing the facilities. commodes that are lower in height than others. Also, I'd check the park maps for ADA and companion/family stalls.

HTH.

Last edited:
A different suggestion. Little girls can pee in a cup. I used frozen orange juice cans, but a small flexible plastic or paper cup will work too. Hold it as close as possible. Make sure you practice at home. Hope this helps.

I put my son in pull ups and took him to the bathroom ALL THE TIME. I think we found literally every bathroom in MK and Epcot. 🤣😆 He was fine. He used the big toilets no problem. No accidents in the pull ups. However, each kid is different. No one can make sweeping recommendations for you (like use pull-ups for sure vs never use pull ups.)
You are right!Every kid is different, it's been so long since I've done the toilet training thing. I'll come prepared but go with the flow! Thanks ☺️

A different suggestion. Little girls can pee in a cup. I used frozen orange juice cans, but a small flexible plastic or paper cup will work too. Hold it as close as possible. Make sure you practice at home. Hope this helps.
That's a pretty inventive idea!She actually might go that way....I will try that this week at home. What sort of cups will I be allowed to take into the parks? I'm guessing they need to be paper? Especially at AK? Thank you!!!

No way would I cart a potty seat around the parks. I'd put her in pull-ups and if she asks to go, great, take her and just put her on the regular toilet (my kids went straight to regular toilets at barely 2 and tiny, they were fine) but I certainly wouldn't worry about it if she doesn't. My kiddo was potty trained a full year when we went to Disney and she absolutely flipped out at the auto flushing toilets (even though ours wasn't flushing, the others were loud) tried holding it in, had accidents, etc, it was a mess. She had been trained so long it didn't even enter our mind to bring pull-ups but overstimulation will do that to you. Let me tell you, dealing with accidents at Disney is not fun, so whatever you can do to avoid that, do!

Definitely use pull ups and encourage regular potty as much as possible. If you are driving, take a small potty for your room. We used to tent camp when the kids were little and took a small potty with us and kept it behind the tent for DD when she was about that age. I would let her wear her big girl panties in the room if you use them at home. (Pull ups weren’t a thing for my first couple kids so I rarely did the pull up thing with the other 2) I wouldn’t expect everything to work perfect. Praise when she does go and just tell her it’s ok if She doesn’t. The only thing I would truly avoid is telling her to “just go in your pull up” I always tried to get them to the bathroom and if there was an accident it was ok but it was “an accident” not an on purpose “pee in your pull up” type of thing. If she doesn’t do well just pick up where you left off when you get home. Have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter