Animal Kingdom Park...is it worth it?

AK is not a park to skip. We loved it on our trip and that was before the Lion King show started running.

We would not miss going to AK as we love all that it has to offer.

Sacrilege I know, but I'd personally skip MK before I'd skip AK. But it's definitely a personal preference. When I go to WDW it's not about the rides or even the shows, it's about the details that go into the overall ambiance of the various parks. With AK, the details are astounding and I love the animals as well. I believe that the only way to truly enjoy AK is to take your time and savor the ambiance. If commando touring is your style, then you may miss much of what makes AK so special. At least by trying it this year, you'll know for sure if you ever want to go back. I think you will. :)

Is this a trick question?

I would skip MK before I skipped AK.

Definitely, without hesitation, go. Find time for it. It's the best :lovestruc

Honestly it really depends when it comes to Animal Kingdom. Some love it there, some hate it there. It seems like the thread is reflecting a lot of positive votes so far :) For me, AK is sort of 'meh'. If you have not seen the park or attractions in a long time, then I would say definitely do it. There are some really amazing individual attractions that are fun to experience. My family does love Dinosaur, Bugs Life, Everest, Rapids, Safari, Festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo the musical, the petting zoo, etc..

With all of the "amazing attractions", you might wonder why I don't love the park then. Simply, it's the overall atmosphere that just doesn't do it for me. Here's my personal reasons why AK is at the bottom of my park list and why children might not enjoy it as much as another park:
  • It's like a jungle - and (imo) not a pretty jungle! It's predominantly standard Florida foliage (pine trees and palmettos) that encroach upon you in many areas of the park. Lots of greenery and little to no flowers. If you are not used to this type of terrain, then I suppose it could be considered pretty. But, for me, it feels too much like just being outside in my own backyard. I suppose most of it is kept natural for the animals, but there is a lot of room for improvement.
  • Lack of visual interest. The key attractions are spread out quite a bit, so you'll be on the move a lot in AK. Unlike the Magic Kingdom where there is something fun and interesting to discover with each step, the AK leaves a lot of dead space in between. Again, it could be nice if you want to appreciate the natural foliage... but, like stated above, it's subjective to personal preference.
  • Lack of Animals. Here's where you start to think that I'm crazy, if you don't already :) Really, if you want to observe animals, you're probably likely to have a closer encounter at your local zoo. There are some really awesome animals to see at the AK, but a lot of the high profile ones (like the elephants you mentioned) are on the Safari. The problem with the safari is that it's just a drive-through the savannah and, at best, you only get to see your favorite animal for about a minute. There are a couple of trails, like Maharaja Jungle Trek for tigers, bats, and birds or the Pangani one for gorillas and meerkat, that you can walk to see some other animal exhibits, but the trails are very long and views vary. I can appreciate that "exhibits" such as these are better for an animal's quality of life though! But, children expecting to get up-close views of their favorite animals might be greatly disappointed.
  • Current Construction. There is always some sort of construction going on in all of the parks, so it's really unavoidable. But, there is a LOT of construction going on in the AK (as of August 29th when I was just there) Here's a peek of what's going on. Most of what you'll encounter is the, much needed, Rivers of Light construction. Hopefully this will be finished in time for your April trip. But, I do feel a bit a bit bad for people who don't get to visit the park often and long-awaited trips with massive construction projects : /
Ok, I'm done playing the devil's advocate for now - promise :) I just thought it might help to see another point of view as to why some people don't rate AK as high on the must-do park list. As I stated at the beginning though, there are still many reasons to love AK, especially if you don't get to go often. It's definitely a park worth experiencing at least once.

Animal Kingdom is tied for us with Magic Kingdom as far as time spent. It's my personal favorite park overall, as well as my wife's. The kids love it too, but not quite as much. You have to look at the park for what it is. In my opinion, the most magnificently themed theme park in existence. It's a joy to simply walk the paths, view the views, and just breathe. Sure, it has some pretty top notch rides, but for us, while we love them, it's more about just the atmosphere.

While we always do all 4 parks, and the water parks, if we had to skip one, it would for sure NOT be Animal Kingdom.

We've done AK years ago...just don't care for it....layout, not an caged type animal fan....oppressive trapped heat park and attractions of little interest for us.....

We rarely visit there anymore, get more enjoyment out of the MK the most, HS second and little interest in EPCOT....

My only regret during my last trip in June was not having enough time for AK.
We've never seen Lion King or Nemo shows or Flights of Wonder. We love Kali, Dinosaur, Safari. And my son loves EE. Wished we had more time for the trails...
Definitely don't skip it.

While we spend most of our time at MK, AK and World Showcase are close runner's up for our vacation time.

Three great rides (including maybe the best on property), an animal safari, two incredible shows, two awesome animal walking tours, that gorgeous tree, beautiful waterfalls and lush green, unbelievable attention to details... it's fantastic. Yeah, it gets crazy crowded and super hot, but it's a treasure of Walt Disney World. Do not miss.

Animal Kingdom is my 15 year old DD's favorite park. And it's my 2nd favorite right behind MK.

On our last trip when the youngest baby gorilla was out my daughter didn't want to leave. She was having such fun watching the gorilla's, asking questions and laughing at the babies antics. She loves animals and I was so glad she enjoyed the park. And when we went to the area with the meerkats, they were getting fed so she was fascinated by that too.

And both teens loved the Flights of Wonder show and It's tough to be a bug - we had to watch that twice. Part of the fun for them in that show was the audience reactions.

If possible for you - I would squeeze it in.

I'll be the voice of dissent. AK didn't do much for me. Our first trip my whole family bailed on it early, and on my second trip I was determined to try to love it. We spent two half days there, and honestly, other than FOTLK, the safari, and Everest, I still don't think it's that exciting. I have access to two very good zoos within driving distance of my house, so seeing the animals wasn't anything special.

We'll probably do another half day on our next trip to hit up the couple of things we enjoy, but I also wouldn't mind giving it a pass.

I really love AK and definitely think it is worth visiting. More than HS at this point, with all the closures. I would suggest doing it in the middle of your trip. It is a park that is best savored, not gobbled, so it is nice to do in the middle of the week and really slow your pace down and take your time. Explore the trails, take in the details, watch the shows (maybe more than once if one of the kids really love one). Because it doesn't stay open late, it's also nice to do in the middle of your week and just have a relaxing evening at your resort chilling out.

Ok, we plan on going as a famiily of four in April. Our daughters are 10 and 14. We did not go to AK in 2011 when we were there, I'm not sure why. DH and I went in 1998 on our homeymoon, and that was it.

We will not have park hopper passes, so I am wondering if we should bother, or go to another park that we know we love. I thought we could perhaps go there on our arrival day, as we won't feel like doing a long day on the first day. We have 5 days, so plan on doing MK twice, then HS and Epcot just once each.

I would love to see the tree again, I thought it was pretty amazing the last time I saw it, but I'm wondering if the girls will be bored. Our youngest does love animals, especially elephants. I'm not sure if there are any elephants there?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
You got to let them do it once, then make a decision for the next time. When our kids were that age they loved it. There is enough to do to occupy your day and have a good time. Our kids are grown and on there own now. We are coming down in a couple of weeks and plan on a day at AK, just because we love it.

As much as I LOVE LOVE LOVE AK (and I do love it), I would re-think that cutting Epcot short thing in April. Isn't Flower and Garden going on at that time?

You are right, it is. We saw it the last time we were there. I'm actually glad that it will be on again while we are there. Epcot really doesn't do much for us. WS we find kind of boring. Perhaps we just don't appreciate "looking" at things. I find the presentations at each pavilion boring. The flower and garden show however, was so cool! Thanks for reminding me!

AK is simply awesome!!!!! I couldn't imagine skipping it when at WDW. The only caveat I have is that this park tends to feel hotter and more humid than the others during the miserable FL summer season but even then I wouldn't skip. I think those with intellectual curiosity tend to enjoy it more.

AK is fantastic and the details in the park are amazing. Also the food is unique and tasty.

I was surprised by how much I loved AK! In retrospect, I wish we dumped Epcot and spent more time there. One of my friends visited the week after us and he loved it too, saying that the Nemo show almost brought tears to his eyes. There are a lot of activities for children to do at AK, beyond the rides and attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter