And Now For Something Completely Different (UPDATED - Fresh)

I would have been just as ticked off at the bartender, too. And I would have walked away, because bartenders like that clearly don't want our money. :laughing:

SEE! You are an angry drunk!:laughing:

You certainly took one for the team on this trip ... I've already crossed both pool bars at the Swolphin off my potential list of October drinking holes.

I do hope the rest of your trip yielded better experiences and am very interested in your Il Mulino review. :thumbsup2

Just for for the record, I went back and counted.

In 11 years, Robert P has now walked out of 3 WDW establishments:

1 - Dolphin Cabana Bar - as chronicled earlier in this post. I may still go back in the future.

2 - Mama Melrose - Arrived for first possible lunch ADR, were 4th group in the foyer. Wait staff seated everyone in front of us, 5 groups from behind us, and were seating walk-ins of our party size without ever calling us. Seems like they flipped over the ticket stack, which would explain the later groups seating, but not the ones there before us. Weird. Have no been back.

3 - Wolfgang Puck Express (West Side) - Stood in line, ordered. I ordered a pepperoni pizza. Mrs. P got her food rather quickly. Another guest also orders a pepperoni pizza, 5 people behind me. Pizza comes up 5 minutes later, cook starts to give it to that guy. Guest is confused. I speak up and politely say that's my pizza. Cook proceeds to argue with me that it is not mine, this guest was here first. I reply 'then why is half our order already served, and I'm clearly further down the line still waiting for a pepperoni pizza'. Embarassed cook turns and ignores me. Other guest takes pizza and heads to check out. Mrs. P and I leave trays at end of counter, drinks and all, and have not been back to that location since. Will not go back.

So while I have walked out or left places before, that has been few and far between.

Thanks for the great reviews Robert P. My wife is the bloody mary queen, I love blue points and fish tacos and we are DVC members so Fulton's is definitely looking like a lunch match for us!

Thank you. This was the second best WDW bloody mary ever. The best was one at House of Blues 2 years ago, and while HOB is usually pretty solid, the quality seems to depend on the bartender that night. I'll have to try Fultons again myself next trip, to see if the bar is consistent. :lmao:

Ah, the things I do for reviews........... :thumbsup2

I am dismayed over your experience at the Cabana! I would have walked away too. I have never had that problem there. Service has always been very good when I've been there. I've never been when it's overly busy tho.

We'll see if my luck continues in Oct. since I plan to spend several afternoons by the pool there. I'm looking forward to some Tuna Tostadas & a refreshing drink.

I just found your review and am loving it.

At Fulton's, I can vouch for the Mai Tai - although we still order it in it's earlier incarnation, sans Pop Rocks, but of course with the 151 floater. Give DH and me a few of them, an order of blue points (love that jalapeno granita), an order of fried calamari (with both marinara and extremely good tartar sauce), and we are verrrrrry happy campers! :) That is our 1st night tradition.

Can't wait to see your Il Mulino and Fresh reviews. We have been on the fence about the expense of Il Mulino, esp since I can a) cook v. good Italian food or b) we can throw a rock and hit 5 good Italian restaurants in our town. And I am debating switching from Kouzzina for breakfast to Fresh so that will be good to see too! :)

I'll add this here, as it may be of interest:

P1140413.jpg

Next up: Commentary on Splash Bar & Cabana at the Swan, and dinner at Garden Grove (also at the Swan).

well I know where to go now if I have a deep pop rocks craving.:rolleyes1

Review: Il Mulino

I made this reservation through the Swan & Dolphin dining reservation link on their website. Many guests don’t know about this feature. I did this as an experiment, since it was a new thing for myself as well, and we were staying at the Dolphin this trip. I requested, and was given, the earliest possible dinner seating at 5:00 p.m. Crazy early indeed, but we were trying to get back to MK for EMH that evening, so we wanted to have an early dinner so we could get moving.
We arrived at the Swan at 4:55, to find the restaurant open, but a few parties sitting near the check in stand. Not wanting to queu up yet just to stand around and wait, I went and snapped my pix of the Garden Grove menu (posted previously), and also found where Kimono’s was (I never paid much attention, and thought this was some sort of lounge, not the sushi restaurant). I was going to take a picture of the Il Mulino menu, but could not get the camera to focus through the frosted glass display case. After further review, it had not changed, so I skipped a menu picture altogether. I may have snapped a photo of the drink menu, and if so, will add that later today.
Upon returning to Il Mulino, we saw that they were seating parties, so we checked in. Oddly, we were told it would be a few minutes. I still don’t get this. There were no more than 12 patrons in there, because they had just opened for dinner, yet we had to sit and wait 3-4 minutes to be seated. Weird. If anyone has the magic answer to this riddle, please let me in on it. I mean we smile, dress appropriately, use deodorant, the whole magilla. Are they waiting those few minutes to see if we have any psychotic outbursts, transform in to a breakdancing robot, spontaneously combust, etc…..????
After 3-4 minutes of unspecified limbo, we were seated at a window table in the corner, in the section on the right, which was completely empty. Our server was Jem, who was very pleasant. He quickly brought over the complimentary chef’s appetizer, which has changed some since our previous visits. It now consists of roasted eggplant, tomato, garlic, oregano and basil, topped with parm, alongside a few small slices of cured meat. Not sure when the tomato got added, that's new for us, but it is still a very nice appetizer, especially if you like eggplant.

P1140692.jpg

The bread basket was simple, yet perfect for the meal. A light Italian bread, and a thinly sliced toasted olive oil coated bread with red pepper flakes. Warning: if hot sauce is too much heat for you, you may not like the toasted bread. The red pepper flakes throw in a bit of sudden heat when you catch one. We found the toasted bread worked best with the eggplant appetizer.

P1140694.jpg

From there, we ordered drinks. Another new feature we found is listed on the menu as a “Five Dollar Glass of Wine”. Sheer intrigue lured us into trying this, and we each got one of the choices, which are defined as Red or White. Mrs. P got the white, I got the red. The white tasted like a chardonnay blend of some sort, while the red could best be described by my limited wine knowledge as tasting like a chianti with some merlot added. Nothing to blow us away, but a very fair value for $5 a glass, and a generous serving size as well (no jokes about the glass being half empty or half full).

P1140693.jpg

P1140696.jpg

About this same time, I ordered an Italian Margarita. Listed on the drink menu, it features Don Julio Anejo, which I confirmed again before I ordered it. Don Julio is an under publicized top shelf tequila, and has been one of my favorites for at least 2 years now. I happen to keep a bottle at home as part of my tequila arsenal.

P1140703.jpg

Not wanting to be trekking around MK fully loaded and feeling logy from too much food, we skipped any other appetizers. The girls decided to split a pepperoni pizza, though half pepperoni half cheese. We ordered them an adult entree size pizza. It was delicious, though not a great value at $16. The second picture here includes the knife from the silverware, for size reference. The knife is 8.5 inches, maybe 9. The $16 pizza was less than 12 inches in diameter, though totally delicious. After looking at the second picture, it looks like a pizza angel.

P1140697.jpg

P1140704.jpg

Mrs. P ordered a Caesar Salad, which did not warrant a picture. It was fine, she said it was very good, but hey, it was a plain Caesar salad. No picture of that. She also ordered a pizza margherita, which was similar in size to the pepperoni pizza.

P1140699.jpg

I fell back on my favorite, the pollo fra diavolo. Lightly breaded chicken breast, with Italian sausage, some veggies, all served in a spicy red sauce. How spicy you ask?? Think Texas Pete, plus two notches. It isn’t jalapeno or Serrano hot, but somewhere between that and hot sauce hot.

P1140700.jpg

While everyone else had gone to visit the restroom, one of the secondary servers came over and asked if we were celebrating a birthday. (I had noted this on the online reservation system, so he must have seen it there). I said yes, and he asked if chocolate cake would be acceptable. I said sure. At the same time, I order one tiramisu for Mrs. P and I to split.

P1140708.jpg

P1140713.jpg

I thought the cake was nicely presented, though as I found out later on the bill, it was not complimentary. (Disclaimer: It was a fair value for $8, but I believe that the charge should have been mentioned in advance. But, no biggie). The tiramisu rocked, as always, though the shape seems different than on previous visits. This is one of my two favorite desserts currently available at WDW, the other being Ger’s Bread & Butter pudding at Raglan Road.

At the end of the meal Jem came over and served us our complimentary chilled limoncello shots. I did not take a photo of this, as the description says it all, and a picture would not add much to that. (I note this mainly because on a previous visit, we were not offered this at the end of the meal, so we did not know if the practice was still continued).

All in all, this was another great meal. Service was well above average. Food delicious throughout. Il Mulino offers no discounts that we have discovered yet, so this meal did not benefit from the DVC discount. pre tip total with tax was just under $120, making it our most expensive meal of this short trip, but well worth it. We will definitely be back there again later this Fall.

That's pretty lame that they didn't tell you about the charge on the birthday dessert.:sad2: Especially since with the whole Celebration theme people are used to getting a free little cupcake here and there. Your pollo fra diavolo looks wonderful, I love food with a kick to it. I'm really enjoying getting reviews of places that hardly get lip service on the boards.:thumbsup2

I agree, it is pretty lame they didn't tell you they were charging you for the Birthday dessert - odd....

Il Mulino looks great. I've only been in the Lounge there before for drinks & antipasti. Do they still have the Testarossa on the drink menu? That was delicious. I'm vacilating between adding Il Mulino to our upcoming trip or just sticking with eating around the F&W Fest that night. Your post is pushing me to the Il Mulino side..

Edited to add - Kimonos has Excellent sushi.

That's pretty lame that they didn't tell you about the charge on the birthday dessert.:sad2: Especially since with the whole Celebration theme people are used to getting a free little cupcake here and there. Your pollo fra diavolo looks wonderful, I love food with a kick to it. I'm really enjoying getting reviews of places that hardly get lip service on the boards.:thumbsup2

Thank you. It's not the charge that was the issue, I would have gladly paid that, and it was even less than a regular dessert. It's that I had no idea it wasn't free, until I saw the bill. And since it was just the waiter and I at the table when he brought it up, I felt it should have been mentioned. Not a big deal, just didn't sit well, so I thought I should note it in case anyone else encounters that situation. By no means was it a deal breaker for us revisiting.

The pollo fra diavolo is excellent. I have tried it 3 times now, on 4 visits, I believe. It also had some zucchini and broccoli (or broccolini) to help keep it light. Great flavor, which is sometimes tough to balance with decent heat.

And you hit the nail on the head about the reviews. I decided to try places that don't get alot of coverage here. I enjoy reading other people's reviews, I read most of those that are posted here in fact, but I quickly tire of seeing the same places again and again.

I'll wrap up tomorrow with my Fresh breakfast review. Fresh seems to be getting more attention here in the past year or two, probably because it is a non character buffet. I'm not convinced that means it is headed into the mainstream, but it seems to be transitioning away from the 'out in left field' group.

Il Mulino looks really good, but I agree it was pretty shady of them not to tell you about the charge for the cake. If the server had asked me like that, I would have assumed it was complimentary also.

Enjoying your reviews. Il Mulino looks delicious and I must say, your photos are fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Il Mulino looks great. I've only been in the Lounge there before for drinks & antipasti. Do they still have the Testarossa on the drink menu? That was delicious. I'm vacilating between adding Il Mulino to our upcoming trip or just sticking with eating around the F&W Fest that night. Your post is pushing me to the Il Mulino side..

I did not notice that drink on the menu, but I may have a picture of the drink menu elsewhere. I'll see if I snapped that picture. I did not see it in my review pix folder, which is odd.

If F&W Fest can only be done that one night, then I would say stick with F&W Fest. If, like me, you have several opportunities scheduled for F&W Fest 'grazing', then I would say have dinner at Il Mulino that night, and sample F&W Fest during the other times available. That's my $.02

We'll be there for lunch almost every day of our trip, but that was our one evening there. I do really like World Showcase & the Festival at night. It would also be our only night for Illuminations.

Hmmm, what to do when faced with so much deliciousness....

thanks for the Il Mulino review, I'm currently lobbying to have that one added to our line-up, and your review should do wonders for that effort :thumbsup2

thank you for the Il Mulino review ... the food looks pretty darn tasty and right now that margarita looks fine! I have to jump on the birthday-boo bandwagon here - shame on them for not telling you there was a charge. Wouldn't we all assume that it was a complimentary dessert, especially for a child?

I do belive we will be keeping our ADR ... yum! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter