• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

And Now For Something Completely Different (UPDATED - Fresh)

Comments on Splash Bar & Cabana - not the grill area - (Swan):

After the Fulton’s Crab House lunch, we headed back to the resort for some pool time. Upon finding the Dolphin Grotto pool absolutely jam packed, and filled with several groups who were almost certainly not guests of the hotel, we headed over to the lap pool at the Swan. For some reason, the usual single swimming lane was not hooked up, so nobody was swimming laps. There were probably 15-20 people in the pool, which isn’t bad for a pool that size. We grabbed a chair, and after 30 minutes of pool time and sun baking, I decided to grab a drink at the bar.
I’m not sure what I was thinking here, but let me say for certain that if you are looking for a full bar selection, you have to go over to the Cabana Bar at the Dolphin. I became suspicious when I saw no bottles on display anywhere in the bar area when I walked up. That feeling was re-enforced once I saw the menu. The Splash Bar drink menu consisted of three, yes three, specialty drinks, at $13 each. The previous menu with the Reposado and Cucumber was gone, and this menu was limited, at best. There were maybe 6 frozen selections for $10.50 each. And you could also get non-alcoholic versions of the frozen selections for $4.50. So, not seeing anything worth $13 (or $10.50 for that matter, but I didn’t want to come back empty handed), I ordered a frozen margarita for myself, and a virgin pina colada for the girls.
I knew I was in trouble when the drink involves mixers from a giant juice box looking container full of pre-made syrup. The process for the margarita was:
Step 1 - Carefully measured 1.5 ounces of tequila
Step 2 - Several glug glugs of pre-made mixer gruel
Step 3 - Tons-o-ice

Similar method for the virgin pina colada, except skip Step 1.

Readers, I am in no way slamming the bartender on this. As a former bartender myself, I know that you make do with what you have available. But still, they have the Cabana Bar at the Dolphin rocking with a great liquor selection, fresh fruit, all the bells and whistles...... and there you are at the Swan bar rubbing two sticks together to make fire. Big discrepancy between these ‘sister’ resorts.

The drinks were adequate, but not worth the menu prices. Had I ordered one of the $13 specialty drinks, and it was made with mixers from a giant juice box, I would have been visibly upset (picture John Belushi in Animal House when the mover drops that case of Jack Daniels on the sidewalk and it all breaks).

On to dinner at Garden Grove:

Q - Hey Robert P, where are the food pix?
A - I do not incude food pix of buffets, because after the food has been sloshed around and picked through by 16 other diners, the picture would not be pretty. So, to date, I have yet to include a buffet food picture, though I may change that in the future if the right opportunity presents itself.

We arrived at 6:25 for our 6:30 ADR. We were immediately seated. Our server Natalia came around, we ordered sodas, and she told us to help ourselves to the buffet. It is here that I should point out something. Every menu I have seen for Garden Grove lists Saturday night as Southern Barbecue night. We were looking forward to Prime Rib, Buttermilk Fried Chicken, Barbecued Beef Brisket, and Shrimp Etouffee, just to name a few. When we sat down, I looked around and did not see anyone carving prime rib. Hmmmmm. Well maybe the place is just so big that they set it up in another area. But what’s that guy doing with all that pasta?? Upon closer inspection I discovered that this was Mediterranean Night, which explained why the buffet consisted of baked ziti, lamb tagine, antipasto, spinach gnocchi, ratatouille, daily catch in romesco sauce, couscous, and a brocollini and Italian sausage dish. Terribly confused, I walk back out to the lobby to check the menu, and lo and behold:

P1140672.jpg

P1140673.jpg

P1140674.jpg

Now for something completely different.....

They had flipped the Saturday and Sunday schedule!! :eek: I walked back inside, explained to my very confused family what had happened, we had a quick family discussion, and decided to just stay and eat. And we were so glad that we did. The food was all around very good, some hits and some misses, but some excellent items as well. There was an excellent herb baked chicken, a very good baked ziti, and the daily catch turned out to be a delicious salmon baked with a mildly spicy tomato based romesco sauce. One of the best dishes was a truffle mashed potatoes, made with real potato. They even had someone cooking at the ‘pasta your way’ station, where you could get spaghetti, ravioli, and one other pasta, with various items (chicken, shrimp, etc…), served in your choice of either tomato or alfredo sauce. The dessert bar was rather extensive, and it had small individual servings (Note: no chow line large containers of desserts, accessible by use of a giant spoon) of: tiramisu, apricot flan, shot glass panna cota dessert, lemon cheesecake, several chocolate cake and ganache looking things, and at least 4 or 5 more. My only complaint, if it is one, is that most of the desserts seem to be sitting on a shortbread cookie type base. It wasn’t very tasty, but if that’s the trade off for getting individual desserts, then so be it. The dedicated childrens choices consisted of chicken nuggets, mini corn dogs, mac and cheese, garden peas, cookies, cupcakes, and fudge iced brownies.
Characters for our dinner buffet were Goofy and Pluto. Considering the restaurant never got more than 25% full, we had decent character interaction, though this meal differed from our breakfast last fall, in that we never saw both characters at the same time. It was always one or the other, but never both. Possibly it’s a Clark Kent and Superman thing, but I won’t try to figure out which character is the secret identity.

SUMMARY:
Overall, this was a surprisingly good meal. I would say the food was better than Crystal Palace dinner, though less of a selection. The character interaction and crowd level were superb, giving us lots of photo ops with the characters. They do offer a 20% DVC discount at dinner. Value wise, this was a good value with the DVC discount, though not as good of value as the w/e character breakfast.

Below, is a picture of the advertisement about Garden Grove from the Swan & Dolphin in house television channel. I apologize for the picture quality, but this is the best I could get with my camera.

P1140438.jpg

Garden Grove sundry info:

-reservations not accepted for w/e character breakfast, either through WDW dining or hotel directly

-w/e character breakfast has Pluto & Goofy on Saturdays, and Pluto, Goofy, Chip & Dale on Sundays.

-reservations are accepted for dinner, even through WDW dining

-dinner characters are Rafiki & Timon on Monday and Friday, then Pluto and Goofy all other nights

-20% DVC discount was still honored as recently as Sept 2009

Next up:
Comments on Dolphin Lobby Bar (breakfast) and the Cabana Bar (pool area)

So Garden Grove was going to the dogs, eh?

:duck: :duck: :duck:

Actually, those themed nights sound great, and hey! More DVC discounts are
always a good thing! :banana:

So Garden Grove was going to the dogs, eh?

:duck: :duck: :duck:

Actually, those themed nights sound great, and hey! More DVC discounts are
always a good thing! :banana:

Touche.

Since we stayed at the Dolphin, we tried to maximize the benefits of the DVC discount. It worked out well, considering that free dining was going on, and the Swan and Dolphin restaurants do not get nearly as much traffic.
The waiter at one of our meals pointed out how slow it is during September. He said typically, the whole month is very slow. So, my planning seemed to be correct.

Dining Reviews from a short trip Labor Day Weekend 2009.

About the title:
Yes, I got this line from Monty Python. If you didn't immediately know that when first reading the title, you may be:
a) too young for this review
b) living in a cave, on Mars, with your fingers in your ears
c) really confused right now, and probably won't enjoy this at all

Seriously, if the title was not a giveaway, then I can 'Say no more'.

Disclaimer: All are welcome.

So, what makes this report Something Completely Different?? Well, it is completely different for us in that we are:
1 - going on a Holiday weekend, while it is still hot and humid at WDW
2 - staying far away from DDP restaurants to avoid the free dining crush
3 - without our trusty TIW card (though its still DDE to me)
4 - changing our usual dining stops

Forthcoming are the following reviews, few they may be:

Fulton's Crab House (lunch) - with pix
Garden Grove (dinner) - no pix
Il Mulino (dinner) - with pix
Fresh (breakfast) - no pix

and some general comment posts in these areas:
Lobby Bar (Dolphin - breakfast)
Splash Bar & Cabana (Swan poolside - drinks)
Yak & Yeti CS (AK - lunch)
Swan & Dolphin restaurants, current specials

First up later today - Fulton's Crab House at DTD (lunch):

I'm going to choose "A" ;) I don't really believe it, but that's ok. Looking forward to your reviews :goodvibes

I'll add this here, as it may be of interest:

P1140413.jpg

Next up: Commentary on Splash Bar & Cabana at the Swan, and dinner at Garden Grove (also at the Swan).
mmmmmm, which one to get 1st? Mai Tai w/ pop rocks (and 151 floater) is calling my name but the spiked lemonade sounds awfully good too :confused3

Love hearing about the DVC discounts :thumbsup2

Your reviews are always nothing short of delightful... :goodvibes

Thank goodness that you steered clear of the salmon mousse.
...That would have cast rather a gloom over the evening.

Nobody's going to explode all over the restaurant at the end of this review are they?

No reason to avoid the usual places last weekend - there was no free dining crush that we saw (and we ate at many TS places last week). A little busy on Sunday, but other than that very light crowds overall, including in the restaurants. :)

I'm glad dinner turned out well, even though it wasn't what you were expecting.

I'm glad dinner turned out well, even though it wasn't what you were expecting.

Oddly enough, if we had checked on what the menu was actually going to be that night, we probably would have dined elsewhere. And we would have missed out on a very good buffet. Strange how these things play out at times.

Glad to hear your review of Fultons. Those Fish Tacos look great. I loves me some fish tacos. :thumbsup2

Yikes on the Splash Bar! The Cabana is my favorite afternoon hangout when in WDW. Nothing like grabbing a Cabana & a Cocktail to while awhile a sunny afternoon. The food there is pretty scrumdiddleyiscious too.

We have never done Garden Grove for dinner, only breakfast.... we'll have to give it a try sometime. We love the Swolphin for staying & dining.

Oh yum! I'm reading this review and getting hungry...and my mouth is simply watering over that bloody mary pic! :goodvibes

I need a virgin version of that drink stat!

Great review! I have to say that I like the drinks at Fulton's!! There so much of vodka I didnt know existed!! :rotfl2:

Comments on Lobby Bar (Dolphin):

For those of you who have not seen it, the Lobby Bar is a full service bar 'area' located at the top of the escalators in the Dolphin lobby. They have about 10 tables set up just across the way, so whatever you do get there, you can sit down with it. In the evening, there is a full liquor setup, bar stools are added (I believe), and guests can enjoy cocktails. But in the a.m., they stash the booze, remove the bar stools, and it serves as a counter for a quick breakfast. A lot of standard breakfast items that don’t have to be cooked (muffins, bagels, croissants, pastries, cinnamon rolls, etc….). In fact, they do not have a toaster available for the bagels, even a self serve one. The breakfast option is designed for the guests who don’t have time for a full sitdown breakfast, or don’t want food that is cooked to order. We’ve done it before on past visits so we are familiar with this location.

We got to the Lobby Bar around 9:30 a.m., with a small line in front of us. We quickly moved down the counter, and ordered the items we wanted from the large containers. I took the girls with me to get napkins and find a table, while Mrs. P stayed to pay for the order when it was done. I handed her a $20 out of my wallet, figuring it was plenty for what we ordered, which was 2 muffins, 1 bagel, 1 apple turnover looking thing, 1 apple juice, and 1 coffee. The girls and I found a table. Mrs. P came over, we started doling out the food, and I asked for the change to put it back in my wallet, before we started eating.

Can anyone see what’s coming next??

Oh, there was change. All $0.56 of it. :confused3 I must have looked confused. I found the receipt. I looked at the receipt. I looked back at the food. I looked at the receipt. I looked back at the food. :confused3 I looked at the receipt one last time. Here is what it said:

2 muffins 6.50
1 bagel 3.25
1 apple bundt 3.25
1 apple juice 2.75
1 coffee 2.50
Subtotal 18.25
Sales Tax 1.19
Total 19.44

The 2 muffins were large, like at Panera. The bagel was partially sliced through, just slightly larger than a frozen bagel at the supermarket (think Lenders), and we could not order it toasted. Apple bundt was a small turnover looking thing, not very large, and was definitely uncluttered with apples. Apple juice and coffee, standard sizes. While the prices didn’t shock me too badly, the lack of food quantity did. The girls split the apple juice, wife had the coffee (damned decaf), and I finished off a diet soda I had from earlier in the morning. If she had some Tic-Tacs in her purse I probably would have eaten those as well. 4 pastries, 2 drinks, twenty bucks. And, we were still hungry afterward. Lesson learned.

Dolphin Cabana Bar (pool area) comments:

I had eaten at this location back in 2007, before the renovations. The burger I had was excellent, but the place was always under construction when I tried to visit again. After the renovation was done, this place has a nicer appearance, and the Dolphin seems to be trying to make it into an almost club-like atmosphere.

P1140432.jpg

And in case you need another view for the right side of the screen.....

P1140443.jpg

My attempt to try it out this trip was thwarted by horrible crowds at the pool, which swamped the bar area as well. Late one afternoon, after some pool time, I stopped by and got the last free seat at the bar. A bartender handed me the drink menu, and said he’d be right with me. I was looking to try the Reposado & Cucumber drink, even at the ridiculous price of $13, because it sounded very interesting (mainly because I have a lot of really qood tequila at home, and I grow cucumbers). The drink menu here changes constantly, and this drink was no longer on the newest menu, so I’ll have to pull a Dr. Frankenstein and break down the engineering process in the lab (kitchen) next weekend.
I know this item was gone because I had plenty of time to peruse the entire menu, while the bartender never came back. Instead, he went to the other side of the bar, and fielded new drink orders from people walking up 6-8 minutes after I sat down. NOTE: We all have our pet peeves. I have 2 very big ones:

1 – Discourteous people who drive slowly in the left lane and block the flow of traffic, despite highway signs, traffic laws, and common sense to the contrary. :headache:
2 – When servers or attendants queu you up, then don’t follow the order of arrival. :mad:

Yes, I may be a petty man, but hey, we all have our hot buttons, and this is one of mine. Ten minutes later, with no target drink in sight on the menu, and being slighted by the server, I just called it a day and headed back to the room. I left thinking "$13 plus tip saved, now I can almost cover my parking and resort fee today"......

What did I learn here?? Well, there are now drink specials at the Cabana Bar in the evenings. (See the grainy pictures above for more details). Also, there is a full rack of liquor on display here, unlike the hidden few bottles of well stock out of sight at the Swan Cabana. Nice seating, and I love the renovated look. Hopefully, I can visit there again when it is less crowded in October.

P.S. Also, on Labor Day Weekend, they had a separate food area serving BBQ, over by the bridge at the grotto pool. It was ribs, Memphis style BBQ, and something else. It also had a small bar area there. This was all new to me, but I didn’t have the camera on me to take any pix (mea culpa). Don’t know if this is a permanent change or not.

Next Up: Il Mulino Dinner (with pix)

Those little sliders looked great. And that Blue Moon is defidently something completely different.:rotfl: I look forward to reading reviews of the off the beaten path restaurants.

The beer guy just had to point out the Blue Moon is a Coors product but they try to disguise the fact to give it a more "upscale" image.

Thanks for the great reviews Robert P. My wife is the bloody mary queen, I love blue points and fish tacos and we are DVC members so Fulton's is definitely looking like a lunch match for us!

The beer guy just had to point out the Blue Moon is a Coors product but they try to disguise the fact to give it a more "upscale" image.

Thanks for the great reviews Robert P. My wife is the bloody mary queen, I love blue points and fish tacos and we are DVC members so Fulton's is definitely looking like a lunch match for us!

I must have misread, I thought the Blue moon was the drink with the shrimp. My bad.:blush: Don't drink and Dis children.

I would have been just as ticked off at the bartender, too. And I would have walked away, because bartenders like that clearly don't want our money. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter