• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

And Now For Something Completely Different (UPDATED - Fresh)

The Il Mulino food looked terrific!

And my family was on the receiving end of a bad birthday charge, too.
It happened at Kona Cafe a couple of years ago, when we were celebrating my sister's birthday. Apparently my mother went to the podium to mention my sister's birthday, but they apparently thought my mother wanted them to bring a cheap, white frosted/white cake for $12 that didn't live up to Kona's normal desserts.

I was not happy that they brought the cake to us, since we really didn't want that, let alone be charged for it. It was the worst generic birthday cake I've seen.

I'll wrap up tomorrow with my Fresh breakfast review. Fresh seems to be getting more attention here in the past year or two, probably because it is a non character buffet. I'm not convinced that means it is headed into the mainstream, but it seems to be transitioning away from the 'out in left field' group.

I hope it hasn't gone too mainstream. One of the reasons we enjoy going there is that it is not like any other breakfast in a WDW area restaurant.

Thanks for the Il Mulino review. I am looking forward to the rest!

Review: Fresh (breakfast)

I made this reservation also through the Swan & Dolphin (S&D) dining reservation link on their website. This was more of my ADR experiment of going through the S&D dining link instead of through WDW dining. We were given the exact time I requested, 8:30 a.m. We first tried Fresh a few years back, after there was a mix up with our room at the S&D. The manager issued us two free meal vouchers for our inconvenience, though they were not for any of the signature S&D eateries. We chose Fresh. That’s the short version of how we finally decided to give it a try. Fresh is located in the Dolphin resort on ground level, across from BlueZoo, at the bottom of the lobby escalators. Easy to find, if you know where to look.

We arrived at 8:25 for our ADR and were seated immediately. We were luckily seated to the right, in the area in front of the buffet, where we could see the kitchen at work (somewhat). I find it very advantageous to be seated in this area, rather than the area to the left of the entrance, since from there you can see the cooks at work and are closest to the food. But mainly because from there you can see the line waiting at the griddle and egg stations. Fresh is a buffet meal, and they also offer cooked to order eggs, omelets, pancakes, etc. The omelet ingredients this trip that we saw used were tomato, cheese, bacon, ham, mushrooms, peppers, and onions. I may have missed a few. The griddle area adjoining the egg station cooks waffles, pancakes (even Mickey pancakes), and French toast. Though I did see two waffles that were cooked ahead, the French toast and pancakes we ordered were definitely made fresh. When you order an omelet, figure about 3 maybe 4 minutes from order time until it is ready. The problem is that when the egg station gets swamped, it really backs up that whole area, and can get confusing on who ordered what. My tip here is to order your omelet and then go order your pancakes (or French toast) during the same trip, since the stations are side by side. That way, you cover both stations in one visit, and dodge the lines that seem to ebb and flow during the morning. If you are seated where you can see the buffet, you can time usually time your visit to avoid waiting in a line.

In addition to those stations, the buffet has 2 hot cereal choices, one of which I identified as oatmeal. The usual breakfast cronies are here, like bacon, link sausage, and a type of hash brown potato. There is an extensive collection of pastries, like Danish, croissants, muffins, turnovers, etc…. and also in that area a collection of cold cereal, fresh fruit, and what I believe to be plain yogurt. Maybe the most interesting part of the buffet is a diplay case area, where you can get what I would describe as a parfait, along with granola. Also there is a choice of juices/extracts, each labeled for a specific purpose or ingredient, like antioxidant, detox, and wheatgrass. And supposedly there is a rotisserie option, and there was a sign for some type of sliced ham, though I never saw the rotisserie area serve anything during our trip. Back to the review….

Our server arrived at our table a few minutes after we were seated, took our drink orders, and told us to help ourselves. Fresh serves Starbucks coffee and fresh juice as part of the buffet price, though I skipped the coffee this morning due to the long drive ahead with few stops planned. For the food, it would be easier to list them out:

French toast – good, nothing great, but still good. Made fresh to order.
Pancakes – nice, light, and can be shaped like Mickey upon request.
Omelets – incredibly light and fluffy, made with fresh ingredients, the best thing on the menu IMHO. We sampled ham, cheese, tomato, mushroom, and green pepper fillings.
Bacon – surprisingly good for WDW bacon. Not burnt, not wiggly, not too fatty.
Sausage – link style large size breakfast sausage. Good.
Breakfast potato – more like what I call country style hash browns (chunks). Good
Pastries – we tried cinnamon rolls (phyllo dough), danish, apple turnovers, and muffins. All very good, and better than the offerings at the Dolphin Lobby Bar, though slightly smaller in size. The cinnamon roll thing was a clear winner. There were several more we did not try, including what appeared to be a blintz.
Extracts – I had the detox, it was delicious. I also had the wheatgrass, but it’s just not my thing. Maybe if I added vodka????
Juices – the orange juice served here is, IMHO, the best on property. Minimal pulp, but great flavor.
Coffee – Starbucks. Mrs. P had the decaf. Great. I can ‘say no more’.

Our meal, start to finish, was less than an hour. Food was excellent for breakfast fare. Service was good. The restaurant was never more than 50% full. Fresh accepts the DVC discount, so 20% off the meal helps to offset the high price ($17.95 adult, $10.95), and makes this a very attractive breakfast option while staying at the S&D, or nearby in the Boardwalk area.

Thanks for the Fresh review. Now I am excited to go again next month!

Thank you so much for your Il Mulino and Fresh review...plan on doing both next month and they both sound fantastic!

I hope it hasn't gone too mainstream. One of the reasons we enjoy going there is that it is not like any other breakfast in a WDW area restaurant.

I totally agree. While I want to give Fresh the credit it deserves, I kind of hope it doesn't get too crowded. That's one of the nice things about eating there.

loved your review! I don't even love breakfast food and I could go for an omlet and cinnamon roll right now!

Thanks again for taking the time to share with us all ... looks like Jay and I will be keeping our Il Mulino and Fresh ADRs (for now). :thumbsup2

Fresh sounds great. I'll have to find a way to work that into the next trip. I'm intrigued by the eggs made to order station and the extracts. I've really been enjoying your reviews.:goodvibes

We were at Fresh a few years ago. It was Father's Day morning and only half full. We thought everything was delicious.
My favorite thing was the strawberry cream cheese stuffed french toast. I didn't see you mention it and I hope they didn't get rid of it.
Of course, I make it at home regularly now!

We were at Fresh a few years ago. It was Father's Day morning and only half full. We thought everything was delicious.
My favorite thing was the strawberry cream cheese stuffed french toast. I didn't see you mention it and I hope they didn't get rid of it.
Of course, I make it at home regularly now!

That sounds delicious. Regretfully, I did not see anything beyond regular french toast being served this trip. A few years back, Fresh had a brunch (w/e brunch I believe, but definitely on Sundays), that we only got to try once before it was discontinued. For that, they had added another cooking station, nearer the door, and that station made fresh crepes with several different fillings (and wow was it good). I would think that flavored french toast would have been made there as well.
Sadly, no exotic french toast was listed or offered that we saw, on the menu or on the signs near the cooking area. I'm not saying it isn't there, but we sure didn't spot it.

Fresh sounds great. I'll have to find a way to work that into the next trip. I'm intrigued by the eggs made to order station and the extracts. I've really been enjoying your reviews.:goodvibes

Thank you! The eggs/omelets are excellent. As for the extracts, I really should try each of them next trip, and do a write up with more info. Usually, I just get the detox one, based on the copious amounts of alcohol I will be consuming during that trip. I figure the detox part can't hurt, before or after any of my sorted drinking adventures.

That sounds delicious. Regretfully, I did not see anything beyond regular french toast being served this trip. A few years back, Fresh had a brunch (w/e brunch I believe, but definitely on Sundays), that we only got to try once before it was discontinued. For that, they had added another cooking station, nearer the door, and that station made fresh crepes with several different fillings (and wow was it good). I would think that flavored french toast would have been made there as well.
Sadly, no exotic french toast was listed or offered that we saw, on the menu or on the signs near the cooking area. I'm not saying it isn't there, but we sure didn't spot it.

Add that to the list of foods I will miss at Disney, but I will continue to make it at home as a form of silent protest!
They made it at the waffle station right next to the egg station. I don't recall a crepe station. That would have been yummy!

Excellent reviews, Mr. P.! Thanks for taking the time and effort to post them. :) I'm enjoying your drink reviews and must remember to include reviews on my adult beverage experience at Disney when I get around to writing my dining reviews. :)

I see an old friend on this thread. Hi, Eileen! :wave2: Hope all is well with you and yours. :)

It sounds like you have a great trip coming up. Wishing you a wonderful time! :tink:

Love it, love it love it!

"Feche le vache!
"Feche le vache!!"
"Mo-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Mrs. Spratt!

Fresh sounds fantastic. Will have to add that to my to do list (or should I say to eat list)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter