ALOHA! The Poly FAQ: Fall 2010 Edition

I get up early in the morning at the poly so that I can have the resort to myself.. Sometimes I find that I am sharing it with alli the alligator.. The sand is fine and alligators won't seek out humans. The other thing is there is bacteria in the lake.. Sometimes. Why would you risk the health of your little ones so that they can play in the water of the beach when there is a pool less than 100 yards away. I hope I am not offending anyone.. But there is a sign that says "no swimming".. Lots of rules are broken at Disney.. Why break that one.

Yikes about the alligator!

I wouldn't let the kids swim in the lake, but I was wondering how risky it is just to touch the water, to fill up buckets for playing in the sand, for example.

Thanks!

Information I copied from an Orlando Sentinel article from 2007 on the amoeba that can live in southern lakes. It is not just Florida and infections are extremely rare. Common sense is the key.

---------
The Naegleria fowleria amoeba is a parasite that lives in bodies of fresh water when temperatures rise above 82 degrees.

Sentinel Staff Writer Robyn Shelton September 5, 2007 Health officials are warning residents to be extremely cautious in freshwater lakes and other bodies of water, following the second death of a child this summer from a rare amoebic illness.

Richard "Chino" Almeida, 10, of Kissimmee died from amoebic encephalitis, his family said today.

The disease is a rare brain infection caused by an amoeba that can be found in freshwater sources in Central Florida.
The organisms flourish when water temperatures reach 80 degrees Fahrenheit and above.

People can be exposed to the amoebas if they get water forced into the nose, and the tiny creatures make their way into the brain.

[SIZE=+1]AVOIDING CONTACT [/SIZE]

- Don't swim to the bottom, where the amoebas are more prevalent.
- Don't get water up your nose, which is how the amoebas enter the brain.
- Avoid diving, rough-housing and any activities that are likely to force water up the nose.
- Wear nose clips.
- Stay close to the surface of the water, and swim in the deep part of a lake. Amoebas are typically found in shallow water.
- Stay out of water declared unsafe by the Health Department.
- Avoid stagnant, polluted water.

Using nose clips and avoiding certain activities can reduce the danger. But the unusual spate of cases in Orange County this summer is alarming to health officials and families.

------
Sherin said people need to regard all freshwater sources with the same degree of caution. Parents need to ensure that their children are not engaging in risky activities, such as diving, swimming to the bottom, water skiing or other recreational sports that tend to force water up the nose.

"This is a rare infection but everyone in Central Florida [who swims] in lakes needs to be aware of the danger and take the proper precautions," Sherin said.

Great explanation, thanks for posting this!

Hello everyone! I subbed to this FAQ because I will be staying at the Poly for the very first time in July and wanted to learn everything I could about it. :) I have eaten breakfast at Ohana and dinner at Kona, but that is as far as my Poly experience has gone so far! We were originally going to stay Club Level, but when everything was figured out, it was a little too out of our budget for this trip, because we are already splurging by just staying here! :lovestruc So, now that that isn't happening, I was wondering if anyone knew what buildings/floors that I should request when booking my reservation. TIA :goodvibes

I get up early in the morning at the poly so that I can have the resort to myself.. Sometimes I find that I am sharing it with alli the alligator.. The sand is fine and alligators won't seek out humans. .

OK Carl...I wake up early and stroll the grounds of the Poly all by myself too! I have been careful to look out for snakes...but now you throw an alligator into my possible walking mates??? :scared1::scared1:

Are you pulling my leg? :eek:

Where in Ma are you? We are right outside the city, my house is on the water.... we got mostly rain today which is nice because it is clearing out a lot of the snow. I will have to post a pic of the backyard, uuuugh. Last week when it was -24, the ocean was actually frozen.
We're smack in between Worcester and Boston North of the Pike. How I would love to be on the water... we're walking distance to the beach but man, to be on the ocean would be fab!!:lovestruc

Thanks. I've never seen the water up close, it might not even be tempting if it looks nasty.

Here are several pictures of the waters edge and where my kids played. It's typical lake water which I am not a fan of... we're kinda the swim in pools, play in sand kinda folk, but to to sit in one of the swings staring out at the castle while the kids thoroughly enjoyed themselves building... It was wonderful!
Some typical lake foliage washed up where kids didn't play much:
water_edge_1.jpg

water_edge_2.jpg

The edge and closer pic of the water where the kids would play:
water_edge_3.jpg

water_edge_4.jpg

And just a few feet away at the Volcano Pool to the side were some nifty showers to stop at as soon as you left. A good rinsing to clean up and then head back to your room to shower.
water_edge_5.jpg

Why would you risk the health of your little ones so that they can play in the water of the beach when there is a pool less than 100 yards away. I hope I am not offending anyone.. But there is a sign that says "no swimming".. Lots of rules are broken at Disney.. Why break that one.

I don't think the OP was considering swimming in the lake. It was more of do you need to banish kids from going anywhere close to the waters edge for fear that it is highly toxic or if they happen to get a little on them will they be OK so the OP can let the kids enjoy the beach and sand for a few.

Yikes about the alligator!

I wouldn't let the kids swim in the lake, but I was wondering how risky it is just to touch the water, to fill up buckets for playing in the sand, for example.

Thanks!

No alligator sightings on our trips (thank goodness!!). As I mentioned I think your fine at the waters edge, obviously not swimming, but a little water to play in the sand with should be fine. I agree with another PP that if it was that dangerous they would plant something or put in a barrier to prevent people from accessing it.

Here is our backyard.... yes, Im ready for some warm weather!!! Notice the frozen ice chunks in the 2nd pic? Ugh. These were taken before this last storm. So add about 6 more inches of snow.

5411410801_2b4350debd.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5411411151_7b40b528aa.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Here is our backyard.... yes, Im ready for some warm weather!!! Notice the frozen ice chunks in the 2nd pic? Ugh. These were taken before this last storm. So add about 6 more inches of snow.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

That view is gorgeous! Who needs a view on vacation when you have that kinda view everyday? I am SO jealous:cutie: My backyard has about 2 feet of snow but no water view. TG for snowblowers cuz hubby had to blast thru drifts past his waist today. DD9 cried buckets cuz she got "stuck" in the snow and couldn't sled. Poor thing isn't tall enough and the snow was too high for her to handle.

That view is gorgeous! Who needs a view on vacation when you have that kinda view everyday? I am SO jealous:cutie: My backyard has about 2 feet of snow but no water view. TG for snowblowers cuz hubby had to blast thru drifts past his waist today. DD9 cried buckets cuz she got "stuck" in the snow and couldn't sled. Poor thing isn't tall enough and the snow was too high for her to handle.

OMG, your poor dd. :love: We shovel our deck for the kids to have a safe spot to play and they venture a few feet off, but with the snow pack as deep as it is it swallows them so they don't go very far before retreating. :lmao: The snowbanks from the plows are a different story though, you can't get them off of the tops of those!

[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

OK to DIE for view!!!! How do you guys fair when we're getting the storms and have high tides? I see all the stories about the homes on the shore being flooded or destroyed or those few that have been taken by the waters and my heart breaks for them. Gosh I hope your home has a big all weather porch back there so you can enjoy that view year round!! :lovestruc

In the summer, it feels like we're on vacation. In the winter...not so much. lol.

OK to DIE for view!!!! How do you guys fair when we're getting the storms and have high tides? I see all the stories about the homes on the shore being flooded or destroyed or those few that have been taken by the waters and my heart breaks for them. Gosh I hope your home has a big all weather porch back there so you can enjoy that view year round!!

Well, the blizzard that hit Xmas weekend was really bad. High tide came up as far as I have ever seen. Actually went right under our deck, and halfway into our side yard. Washed away all our trash barrels and we almost lost our kayak! Under the snow, we have about 6 inches of rock and shells from that storm!!! It was insane. In the spring we will probably have to hire someone to get a bobcat in here and remove everything.

Just got back in from the Wishes Dessert Party and watching the Electric Water pageant. Here are some pix taken today:

f6484cea.jpg

7ddd7f22.jpg

2a2c2491.jpg

960443bf.jpg

Crowds have been very low... Walled on to TSM Yesterday 2x w/ a 5-min wait ea.

Brazilian tour groups are out in force. Only had a problem once last night when two competing groups were on the bridge to Mexico and chanting to each other. They were extremely loud and left a hole big enough for one person to squeeze through. My DD was all "what the heck."

Lastly, we've never really had any pixie dust that we didn't make happen for ourselves, but tonight DD left one of her Vinylmations on Space Ranger spin. We asked at guest relations if they'd found one (knowing they hadn't? But it didn't hurt to ask). The cast member wrote her a voucher to go next door and buy a new one. Nicest pixie dust ever. DD then traded THAT one for one in the clear case and got the Yeti, so she is on cloud 9.

be650e20.jpg

OK Carl...I wake up early and stroll the grounds of the Poly all by myself too! I have been careful to look out for snakes...but now you throw an alligator into my possible walking mates??? :scared1::scared1:

Are you pulling my leg? :eek:

I am really not.. I have actually seen him/ her swimming along the dock area looked like it was stalking ducks. Last time we were there a boat was scaring and chasing it up the lake.. When we stayed at WL alli was up on the bank.. Just sitting there. They really don't like humans.. They won't eat you.. Unless you poke em with a stick or you go quack..:thumbsup2

Hi,
I am not an expert as we also have our first trip upcoming. We have a Aspi kid on the spectrum as well, so I asked around this on other forums as well. An I was assured that grad night happened inside MK, and very very few would stay at The Poly, so was told not to worry at all.
But I am sure someone with more knowledge will come along and reassure you.

Most of the grad night kids go to HS and MK. They can be a nightmare mostly it is in MK. They stay more at the value resorts. The Poly is always an oasis of relaxing solitude..:thumbsup2 enjoy a day lazing around the pool when the crazy teens are running around MK:lmao:

Thanks a lot for the answers. :goodvibes

I really would like to go to the parks on those days. Would morning be O.K., since they are teens and most probably will be sleeping in? I see WDW closes MK at 7 pm on both week-ends on Fridays and Saturdays. So I guess I have to plan on something else or another park.

But, you're saying that they also gather at HS? I was planning on HS in order to not, be in MK. I guess Epcot would be a better bet, but would everybody else be at Epcot, then? We already have ADRs for those nights, so I guess we'll at least be safe with diner. After diner is another story.

I changed the reservations to not be at the Poly for (very late this year) Easter, but I never saw Grad nights coming... :scared1:

Thanks again,

:tinker:Poussière de fée!

We have a DD in the spectrum and have never had an issue. We have been at both CR and Poly during grad nites and it is no biggie. There is some late fireworks but if you are in your room with the doors closed, you will most likely sleep right thru. Grad nites are closed to all except grads during the event so you will only have grads running around the parks during the day in smaller groups. They are annoying--standing in line texting each other instead of talking--but otherwise harmless;)

Thanks!!

Thanks a lot for the answers. :goodvibes

I really would like to go to the parks on those days. Would morning be O.K., since they are teens and most probably will be sleeping in? I see WDW closes MK at 7 pm on both week-ends on Fridays and Saturdays. So I guess I have to plan on something else or another park.

I changed the reservations to not be at the Poly for (very late this year) Easter, but I never saw Grad nights coming... :scared1:

Thanks again,

:tinker:Poussière de fée!

HS just gets some of the overflow because it is a teen friendly park.. MK closes at 7 because they empty it out and then bring in the grads. From 10p to 4a crazy!! They only let grads in and they literally own MK for the night. You are absolutely right. Morning is going to be much better for uhmm.. Non maniacal fun.

Hi, everyone! We've never stayed at the Poly before, but it's been a dream of ours for a looong time. So, now we're looking at going in August with the room discount and I am curious whether we could do CL without the dining plan with plans to have a CS or TS lunch each day and maybe some snacks in the parks in the evening to "fill in", or will we need to do the dining plan to have enough food to eat? I'm thinking since we're looking at August, we'll be back at the Poly for a break each afternoon and return to the parks in the evening after snacks in the lounge at night?

Edited to add:

We are looking at roughly the same price for Poly GV + tickets + DDP or Poly CL + tickets.

This plan has worked very well for our family on our last two trips! :thumbsup2 Just be familiar with the times for the lounge food so you can plan accordingly, i.e., if you run late and do not get to the lounge until 7:30, you will have missed appetizers. We definitely plan to do this again. For us, we felt the money was better sent on CL than on the DDP.

Crowds have been very low... Walled on to TSM Yesterday 2x w/ a 5-min wait ea.

Brazilian tour groups are out in force. Only had a problem once last night when two competing groups were on the bridge to Mexico and chanting to each other. They were extremely loud and left a hole big enough for one person to squeeze through. My DD was all "what the heck."

Lastly, we've never really had any pixie dust that we didn't make happen for ourselves, but tonight DD left one of her Vinylmations on Space Ranger spin. We asked at guest relations if they'd found one (knowing they hadn't? But it didn't hurt to ask). The cast member wrote her a voucher to go next door
and buy a new one. Nicest pixie dust ever. DD then traded THAT one for one in the clear case and got the Yeti, so she is on cloud 9.

be650e20.jpg

My ds9 wanted the yeti sooooooooo badly! Unfortunately, the yeti eluded him the entire trip, but I'm happy that someone else who equally appreciates him got one! :laughing:

I just have to thank you guys and tell you how much this thread has brightened my rotten night. I have been :sick::sick::sick: in bed all week, and am feeling so sorry for myself. Tonight I woke up around 4 am and I will spare you the details but let's just say that on top of how sick I already was to begin with, this thing apparently went to my stomach. :scared1: since I certainly could not just drift right off to sleep after that, I decided to hop on my iPad for a bit. Sincerely, I have to say, as rock-bottom miserable as I was an hour ago after cleaning up the horror scene in my bathroom, after catching up on the last ten or so pages on this thread, I have had a smile on my face multiple times and am distinctly cheered up. Just reading everyone else's thoughts and experiences on a place I love so much seriously warms my heart, and it has been a lovely escape from reality. You guys rock. :hippie:

And for some reason the pic of that golden retriever on the snow bank cracked me up so much I looked at it like 4 times. He looks like he's just lounging around up there, like he might on a grassy hill in springtime, lol!

I am really not.. I have actually seen him/ her swimming along the dock area looked like it was stalking ducks. Last time we were there a boat was scaring and chasing it up the lake.. When we stayed at WL alli was up on the bank.. Just sitting there. They really don't like humans.. They won't eat you.. Unless you poke em with a stick or you go quack..:thumbsup2

I will make sure I resist poking Alli with a stick :eek: In all honesty, If I see her, she will see my tail end hauling a** in the other direction :scared1::lmao:

But nonetheless, good to know :thumbsup2 Take a pic of her if you see her in June popcorn::

I just have to thank you guys and tell you how much this thread has brightened my rotten night. I have been :sick::sick::sick: in bed all week, and am feeling so sorry for myself. Tonight I woke up around 4 am and I will spare you the details but let's just say that on top of how sick I already was to begin with, this thing apparently went to my stomach. :scared1: since I certainly could not just drift right off to sleep after that, I decided to hop on my iPad for a bit. Sincerely, I have to say, as rock-bottom miserable as I was an hour ago after cleaning up the horror scene in my bathroom, after catching up on the last ten or so pages on this thread, I have had a smile on my face multiple times and am distinctly cheered up. Just reading everyone else's thoughts and experiences on a place I love so much seriously warms my heart, and it has been a lovely escape from reality. You guys rock. :hippie:

And for some reason the pic of that golden retriever on the snow bank cracked me up so much I looked at it like 4 times. He looks like he's just lounging around up there, like he might on a grassy hill in springtime, lol!

That is Maiapapya's Dog Finn. Isn't he adorable? I love that pic too!

Sorry you are so sick :sick: There is nothing like hanging out in bed drowsing the DIS and the POLY FAQ! Can't wait until our new edition is up :thumbsup2

Get better soon :goodvibes

No more snow days for me....back to work I go! :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter