• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"All Alone in the World...Whatever did I do?" - A Solo Trip Report

I've read several reports about not being able to take bags on some of the rides at Universal Studios. I know they say the lockers are free for 30 minutes but, like you said, what ride in WWOHP has just a 30 minute wait?

Loving your trip report so far!

I want to head over and check out the Harry Potter stuff at Universal so badly on our next trip... it looks like so much fun!!

Good luck on the house search! I know how stressful that can be. We just closed on our new home/moved in last month and that whole process can be a big 'ol pain!

I'm loving your pictures. :lovestruc

Thanks!! Most of these are with my Sony Cybershot, and others are with my Canon Rebel T1i, which I'm still learning about. I've had a few people recommend this photography club in the area, so I think I'm going to look into joining so that I can learn more about it. I know that I could be doind so much more with it!

I've read several reports about not being able to take bags on some of the rides at Universal Studios. I know they say the lockers are free for 30 minutes but, like you said, what ride in WWOHP has just a 30 minute wait?

Exactly. I was able to do it in other parts of the parks, but I was using my Express Pass. If I didn't have that, I'd be paying for sure!

Loving your trip report so far!

I want to head over and check out the Harry Potter stuff at Universal so badly on our next trip... it looks like so much fun!!

Good luck on the house search! I know how stressful that can be. We just closed on our new home/moved in last month and that whole process can be a big 'ol pain!

I actually have news on that front too - I'm a (soon-to-be) homeowner now! :woohoo: I made an offer on a place on Friday, negotiated some details Saturday and we came to an agreement on Sunday! I take possession November 17th - so less than a month away! I'm very excited, but there's so much to do between now and then :scared1: Not to mention that I'll be travelling for work November 11th to 18th. :rolleyes1

I actually have news on that front too - I'm a (soon-to-be) homeowner now! :woohoo: I made an offer on a place on Friday, negotiated some details Saturday and we came to an agreement on Sunday! I take possession November 17th - so less than a month away! I'm very excited, but there's so much to do between now and then :scared1: Not to mention that I'll be travelling for work November 11th to 18th. :rolleyes1

Congratulations! That's awesome news!! :woohoo::woohoo:

Hi all! Here's a quick real-life update before getting back to our regularly scheduled programming....

As I mentioned earlier - I bought my first house! It's been quite an experience - with everything from being crazy excited :banana::banana::banana: that my offer had been accepted, to freaking out thinking "what have I just done?!?!?!? :scared1: "

I've spent this week on the phone with my mortgage broker, emailing lawyers, looking into moving companies, and on and on and on....

To throw another kink into things, I'm out of town for business the week leading up to me taking possession. I leave for Nova Scotia on November 11th, coming back on November 17th - the day I close! :headache:

So - some fun organizing and scheduling to take care of, but at the end of the day, I'm going to be moving into a cute two-bedroom townhome, with gorgeous dark hardwood floors. The neighbourhood is pretty much all new builds within the last ten years, with great schools, community centres, parks, etc. so I know I'm gong to be happy with this place!! :cloud9:

Oh - and there's a pretty good chance that another trip to all of our favourite place is in the cards - likely for late Feb/early March with my mom and brother!! Fingers crossed :goodvibes

Up next - more of my day at IOA!!

Hi all! Here's a quick real-life update before getting back to our regularly scheduled programming....

As I mentioned earlier - I bought my first house! It's been quite an experience - with everything from being crazy excited :banana::banana::banana: that my offer had been accepted, to freaking out thinking "what have I just done?!?!?!? :scared1: "

I've spent this week on the phone with my mortgage broker, emailing lawyers, looking into moving companies, and on and on and on....

To throw another kink into things, I'm out of town for business the week leading up to me taking possession. I leave for Nova Scotia on November 11th, coming back on November 17th - the day I close! :headache:

So - some fun organizing and scheduling to take care of, but at the end of the day, I'm going to be moving into a cute two-bedroom townhome, with gorgeous dark hardwood floors. The neighbourhood is pretty much all new builds within the last ten years, with great schools, community centres, parks, etc. so I know I'm gong to be happy with this place!! :cloud9:

Oh - and there's a pretty good chance that another trip to all of our favourite place is in the cards - likely for late Feb/early March with my mom and brother!! Fingers crossed :goodvibes

Up next - more of my day at IOA!!

Ahh the stress of buying a new home.....NOT! Seriously, I am so excited for you and can hardly wait to see pictures of your townhome.

Yay for another trip!

Congrats on the new home... It's so exciting and stressful at the same time.

So after having gotten my fill of rides in WWoHP (well, almost), I decided it was time to start checking out the stores.

I took a look at the line to get into Ollivanders, which was pretty much rivalling that of Forbidden Journey. Since I didn't have any children with me who were insisting that they get a wand (yay for being solo!!) I decided to skip it. I had already passed some carts where I could buy a wand if I so desired, without having to wait in a ridiculous (or should I say "Riddikulus") line to do so. I was pondering getting one for my little brother....

As I walked away from Ollivanders, I came across a CM holding the Book of Monsters (remember, the one that Hagrid assigned them when he was Care of Magical Creatures professor?) and I just had to take a pic:

DSC01215.jpg

I then walked over to Honeydukes and Zonkos to peruse what they had. There are separate outside entrances for each of these, but they are connected inside. Honeydukes had a lot of the candies and sweets described in the books, including Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans, Chocolate Frogs, etc. They were also selling pumpkin juice!

IMG_0823.jpg

This pic is from an outside stand, but they were selling the same stuff inside.

DSC01204.jpg

Zonkos had some cool things too - obviously not as described in the books, but they did take some typical joke/gag shop things and rename then with Rowlingesque names.

IMG_0819.jpg

I then decided it was time to try some Butterbeer. I headed over to this cart and started waiting in line.

DSC01205.jpg

I also noted that it was most definitely getting to be lunch time. I figured I'd grab some Butterbeer, then head in to Three Broomsticks to have lunch. I mean, doesn't this sound like a perfect plan??

Ahh - not so much. A perfecter plan was soon proposed to me by a CM, who said that I could order my much anticipated Butterbeer in Three Broomsticks! Done and done :thumbsup2 Before heading in, I saw this notice:

IMG_0826.jpg

(Okay, fine. Not the best picture, and you can probably see more of me than Sirius Black - but it's the notice that he's on the loose, moving picture and everything!)

So...any guesses as to what I had for lunch? There were a few options on the menu, including the Great Feast:

DSC01220.jpg

Since I was alone, I decided to opt for something a little smaller. Instead, I had the Fish and Chips:

DSC01219.jpg

And, most importantly, I had my Butterbeer:

DSC01222.jpg

I had read on here before leaving that you could get either plain Butterbeer or frozen Butterbeer. Based on those descriptions, I went with the frozen one. It was okay - tasted kind of like how I imagine a frozen butterscotch pudding would taste like. I didn't finish it; the meal was very filling. I also probably wouldn't order another one just for me, but would most definitely share one with someone.

Since I wasn't at Disney, I wasn't on the meal plan. Here's my OOP costs for lunch:

DSC01223.jpg

After lunch, I decided to head back to the Castle, to see if I could see more of the much lauded queue before sneaking through to the single-rider line. I asked a CM, who told me to follow the signs for the "Castle Tour" which would bring me straight to where the single-rider line starts! Score - I would get to skip the crazy line, see most of the Castle (you don't get to see the Greenhouses), and get on the ride for a second time that day! :cool1:

Here are some pics I took inside the castle...

DSC01226.jpg

Godric Gryffindor

DSC01227.jpg

Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin

DSC01229.jpg

Helga Hufflepuff

These were the only pictures on this whole wall that would move and talk. Slytherin was complaining about muggles being in the castle, and the others were essentially telling him to suck it up, buttercup!!

DSC01224.jpg

DSC01232.jpg

Dumbledore's Office - I loved this area. I also tried to snap a few pics of the pensieve, but they turned out awful. The lighting was really low, and my p&s didn't like it :sad2:

DSC01236.jpg

The Fat Lady - just before heading into the Gryffindor Common Room, where single-rider line starts.

After another awesome ride, I decided to leave Hogwarts and Hogsmeade, and head for other parts of US/IOA. I had about half a day left to explore the rest of what they had to offer.

Everything at WWoHP just looks like so much fun!!

I really want to try a Butterbeer, too!

Congrats again on the new house! That's great news!!

great trip report I always considered doing a solo trip and probably will eventually. The company I work for is connected to universal so I get room and ticket discounts. I like US/IOA but find I can see everything with an overnight stay because of the guest fast pass thing. Last trip I got to Portofino about 1pm and went on just about every ride out side of WWoHP by 9pm. Next morning I took advantage of the early rope drop for guests and was done with WWoHP by 1 pm and just headed over to the Boardwalk to check in for the Disney part of our vacation.
BTW you are killing me on the acronyms on the other trip report I am reading.

Everything at WWoHP just looks like so much fun!!

I really want to try a Butterbeer, too!

Congrats again on the new house! That's great news!!

It definitely was a lot of fun - I'm really glad I decided to take a day and head over there. I've loved the books ever since my grandmother bought the first one for my younger brother when he was a baby and I "borrowed" it. I wound up buying "him" the rest of them each in hard back, justifying it by saying that at least he'd have a full set of them when he gets older. Of course, he hasn't cracked a spine on a single one of them yet! :rotfl:

great trip report I always considered doing a solo trip and probably will eventually. The company I work for is connected to universal so I get room and ticket discounts. I like US/IOA but find I can see everything with an overnight stay because of the guest fast pass thing. Last trip I got to Portofino about 1pm and went on just about every ride out side of WWoHP by 9pm. Next morning I took advantage of the early rope drop for guests and was done with WWoHP by 1 pm and just headed over to the Boardwalk to check in for the Disney part of our vacation.
BTW you are killing me on the acronyms on the other trip report I am reading.

Yay for US/IOA discounts!! :thumbsup2 I would love to stay in one of their resorts some time, but they seem kinda on the expensive side....but I'm only checking through the US website, so I'm sure there's better discounts that I'm just not finding.

I'm really glad I went over to check it out, even if I did wind up skipping over a lot of things. It turned out to be a really expensive day (likely the most expensive day of the trip), but I enjoyed myself.

Hello! I followed you from Ben's TR (nice job on the acronyms, BTW!)

Really enjoying your TR! Hogsmeade is pretty amazing, isn't it? We stayed at a Universal hotel, and got to go in early. The difference in crowd level from one hour to the next was amazing! But gotta love single rider. Especially on Forbidden Journey, since you're sectioned off from the other people in your bench!

Hello! I followed you from Ben's TR (nice job on the acronyms, BTW!)

Really enjoying your TR! Hogsmeade is pretty amazing, isn't it? We stayed at a Universal hotel, and got to go in early. The difference in crowd level from one hour to the next was amazing! But gotta love single rider. Especially on Forbidden Journey, since you're sectioned off from the other people in your bench!

Hi!! and :welcome:

You know, a couple times on Ben's report I've thought "I'm pretty sure I read one of Joyce's reports before..." Now I remember, I read the "This Trip Broke the Bank" one! I'm pretty sure I just lurked, but I remember I liked it! :thumbsup2 I'm going to head over to your May report as well - even though I'm probably eons behind! :rolleyes1

I finally left Hogsmeade/Hogswart after one last Forbidden Journey. I hoped I'd be back someday, because I knew there was more to explore.

I'd had a friend at work suggest what else I should do at Universal, knowing that I only had one day to do both parks. With her suggestions and my Express Pass in hand, I headed over to the Jurassic Park ride.

DSC01240.jpg

I liked it - kind of like Splash Mountain only with scary dinosaurs instead of friendly Briar Patch creatures. I did slide forward in my seat at the bottom of the drop, causing a nice bruise on my left knee :headache:. Oh - and like Splash, I got soaked!

Next on my list was Spiderman. I really had no idea what to expect on this one, but thought it was really cool. Universal seems to have the "visual interaction with ride vehicle motion thingy" down pat!

For my last ride at IOA, I went over to The Hulk. This is another one of those rides where you have to use the lockers for your stuff. Since I had an Express Pass, I took a chance and decided use the free 30 minutes. After a wait of just a few minutes, I was on. This is quite an intense coaster - lots of speed, twists, loops, etc. I liked it, but once was enough.

I left IOA, and made the long journey over to the Universal side. I took a couple of pics along the way:

DSC01241.jpg

DSC01242.jpg

DSC01243.jpg

DSC01244.jpg

First on my list at US was Shrek 4d. I don't believe this had an Express Pass option, so there was a bit of a wait. I did notice some Disney jealousy during the wait:

DSC01245.jpg

DSC01246.jpg

I was also asked to complete a survey during the wait before we were brought into the pre-screening room. I liked the theming of the pre-screening room, particularly the Three Little Pigs.

DSC01247.jpg

Notice their cages are made of straw, wood and brick?

The show - not bad, but Disney does it better in my opinion. I love Mickey's Philharmagic and Muppets 3D. Heck, I'd even take It's Tough to be a Bug over Shrek, and I'm totally the one that sits waaaay forward in the seat, with my feet lifted, my nose plugged, and I refuse to look up (why...why did it have to be spiders???).

I made my way over to Twister. I loved that movie when it came out. You know the scene where they're driving down a road, and a tractor falls on it and she screams "Left!", then a combine falls and she screams "Right!", then a house flips into the road and he goes "I think we're going in!!!.....Now what way?" and she goes "I have no idea." (Sorry...that scene makes me giggle.). Well - that tractor and that combine are actually model toys. My dad has a whole collection, and as soon as he saw the combine fall he went "I have that one!!!" Whoo - that was a bit of a tangent. Anyhow, I was hoping there'd be some fun facts like that shared...

Yeah...this "attraction" sucked. You wait in line, then you enter a room where Bill Paxton does a little spiel. Then you go into another room and Helen Hunt does a little spiel. Then, you enter a "hot set" where they "recreate" the effects of a tornado. My hair, which was loose, didn't move. :sad2:

Up next was The Mummy. I've never seen this movie, but thought these guys were kinda cool:

DSC01248.jpg

Again, I stored my bag, and went in the single rider lane. The single rider loading happens on the opposite side of regular loading. I walked up, and the CM in charge of loading asked me to stand to the side. Since I'm a helpful tourist, I did so. He loaded up one ride vehicle, then another, then another. I was about to step and say "umm...I'm still here..." when he turned around and went "Oh my goodness, I forgot about you!! Come on up, we'll get you on the next one!" So, sometimes being a single rider can come back to bite ya! Even though I was forgotten, I still really liked this ride. Pretty comparable to Dinosaur, but not nearly as loud!!

I then went over to Disaster! to be an extra in movie about a natural disaster in New York (?). I thought briefly of throwing my hat in the ring to have a more starring role, but decided that nothing would beat me getting to ride on the big bumblebee from "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" during my very first visit to Disney. So instead I was a member of the studio audience while the selected few did their thing, then did my part as an extra on the subway. Universal, learn from yourself. This is how you do an audience interaction recreation (I'm looking at you, Twister).

DSC01249.jpg

After looking at the time (I think it was getting to be about 3:45 or so), I decided to call Mears to schedule my pick-up shuttle. I asked for the 5:30 return bus, and got my way!

I was in Amity, so headed over to the somewhat "headline" attraction - Jaws. Again, I flashed my Express Pass, and pretty much walked on the ride. I was seated with a family who'd obviously ridden it before, because the mom went "Oh, great. I'm on the shark side." I was on the opposite side, and I took that to mean that the Great White would attack her side first. Even with that knowledge, I still managed to practically jump into her husband's lap when we were in the garage part. They were nice about it, and only laughed at me a little bit :blush:

DSC01250.jpg

DSC01251.jpg

I had passed a soft-serve ice cream stand, so I bought myself a mixed (half chocolate, half vanilla) cup, found myself a bench in the shade and people watched while enjoying my ice cream. It was during this interlude that I decided to skip MIB, and just do The Simpsons ride.

DSC01252.jpg

So, for the last time that day, I flashed my Express Pass, and made my way over to Springfield. This is a visual simulator ride if I ever saw one. Anyone who has issues with Mission Space or Star Tours should definitely avoid this ride! I, however, enjoyed it. Go Mutant Maggie, Go!!

I stopped into the Kwik-E-Mart, and bought a souvenir pin for my brother. Apu was there to thank me and asked me to "Come again!"

DSC01253.jpg

DSC01425.jpg

DSC01254.jpg

I started making my way back out of the park, snapping a few pictures along the way.

DSC01255.jpg

Hey - that's my brother's name!

DSC01256.jpg

The wonderful actress who portrayed my namesake!

DSC01257.jpg

On my pitstop I saw these hand dryers for the first time. They are the best!!! :cool1:

DSC01258.jpg

I knew I had taken this picture - I couldn't find it when I was writing the WWoHP part of this TR! Anyhow - bye Harry!!

While I slowly made my way back to the busses, I spotted a store selling Vera Bradley bags. This is a big deal, since there are no VB outlets near where I live, and I can't figure out how to get the VB site to deliver to Canada (it probably doesn't due to customs restraints). If anyone has tips - let me know! After perusing for a bit, I found the bag I wanted:

IMG_1213.jpg

After a bit of a wait, the bus finally came to take me back to Pop. I had decisions to make. Did I have enough energy to head over to Epcot for EMH, or would I just wind up crashing after such a long day?

Hello, I decided to drop by your report today (and I enjoyed it!).
I have been to Universal before, but not since they added the Wizarding World. I really considered going on my upcoming trip but decided I would relax more if I just stay at Disney. But, I am a little sad that I am not going to eat at the Three Broomsticks and see the paintings in the castle.

I am enjoying your report! I did a solo trip Jan '11, and going again Jan '12. I'm eager to read how you spent your time in WDW, but I was really curious to read about US/IOA. I keep toying with the idea of heading over there to check out WWOHP, but leaving WDW and touring a new place alone keep holding me back. Can't wait to read more!

Loved your day at Universal! You had a lot of the same experiences I did at the attractions.

We did not care for Shrek. In the pre show, Farquaad kept saying we were going to be tortured, and instead we watch a movie (which wasn't great, but it wasn't torture).

And Twister was sooooper lame. But we REALLY liked Disaster! and thought Christopher Walkin was hilarious in it! Overall, I really enjoyed Universal.

WWoHP looks really cool! What a great way to spend the day.

I'm hoping you did make it to EMH at Epcot...it seems like a solo trip is just right for staying out extra late at night.

I am having so much fun living your TR through each day! Love the bag - I'm so jealous!

Hello, I decided to drop by your report today (and I enjoyed it!).
I have been to Universal before, but not since they added the Wizarding World. I really considered going on my upcoming trip but decided I would relax more if I just stay at Disney. But, I am a little sad that I am not going to eat at the Three Broomsticks and see the paintings in the castle.

I debated for a while about whether to go to Universal or not. My main reason for wanting to go was to see WWoHP, but I didn't feel that it was enough of a reason to spend all that money to go. I spoke with some friends at work, and when they convinced me to check out both parks, and when I found the transportation/ticket deal from Dreams Unlimited, that's when I decided I should give it a go.

I am enjoying your report! I did a solo trip Jan '11, and going again Jan '12. I'm eager to read how you spent your time in WDW, but I was really curious to read about US/IOA. I keep toying with the idea of heading over there to check out WWOHP, but leaving WDW and touring a new place alone keep holding me back. Can't wait to read more!

:wave:

The rest of the trip is all Disney - I promise!!

Loved your day at Universal! You had a lot of the same experiences I did at the attractions.

We did not care for Shrek. In the pre show, Farquaad kept saying we were going to be tortured, and instead we watch a movie (which wasn't great, but it wasn't torture).

And Twister was sooooper lame. But we REALLY liked Disaster! and thought Christopher Walkin was hilarious in it! Overall, I really enjoyed Universal.

I had a great time at Universal too! I'm pretty certain (though nothing is booked and I haven't been given any dates) that I'm going to Disney in Feb/Mar with my little brother and mother, and am debating whether to work in another Universal day or not. I think it'd be cool for them to check out a new park, but my brother is not super into "thrill" coasters, and he's also not all that into HP (much to my chagrin), so I'm not sure it'd be the best use of our time and money.

WWoHP looks really cool! What a great way to spend the day.

I'm hoping you did make it to EMH at Epcot...it seems like a solo trip is just right for staying out extra late at night.

I'll try to get another installment up today to ease the suspense over Epcot EMH. I will tease that this was not the latest I stayed out. MK had EMH until 3:00 a.m. one day....:rolleyes1

I am having so much fun living your TR through each day! Love the bag - I'm so jealous!

I now have two great park bags depending on what I feel like carrying on a particular day. The VB one is great when I'm just bringing basics and my point and shoot camera. I also have a MEC bag that I can also fit my DSLR camera into if I want that one with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter