• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"All Alone in the World...Whatever did I do?" - A Solo Trip Report

Hey! I'm totally in! I cannot wait to do my solo trip! I'm writing a solo ptr, you should check it out! I'm thinking I will do a solo dis meet the next time i'm there! Love the pics!

I'll definitely check out your PTR. I meant to do one for this trip, and time slipped away from me!

I just found your trip report. I would so like to do a solo trip, so I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences doing on.:)

I definitely liked it. Of course, I was tucking away thoughts of what I'd do when I came back with this person or that, but also taking notes on what I'd do on my next solo trip!

I fly out of Milwaukee and they like to fly us to Detroit or Minneapolis, and I hate those little puddle jumpers they put you in. About 3 airlines in Milwaukee have flights to Orlando and many are cutting flights and making us take these connecting flights. I try to avoid them at all costs.

B side for Bus. What a good tip.:cool1:

Yep - after two separate trips of going down to the A side first, I came up with that memory trick :thumbsup2

I LOVE that T-shirt. I'll have to look for it next time. I really think it's funny and something I would actually buy!

I thought it was really clever too, and thought about buying it. In the end, I found a different one for my brother.

Yay, can't wait to read more! We're the same age, and lately I've been obsessed with the idea of a solo trip.

I enjoyed it and highly recommend it ;)

I did my first solo trip last year, second trip later this year - it's such a fantastic feeling isn't it to do your own thing and not have to worry about other family members/friends :goodvibes

Fanastic start and what luck getting the perfect room :thumbsup2

I was definitely happy with my room :cutie:

I love that goofy shirt.:thumbsup2

I used to work at Six Flags Great America and had heard lots of stories of people asking about show times, but always thought they were made up stories. Then low and behold one day I was working at the Pictorium ( a movie theatre with a huge screen) and some one asked me what time the 4 oclock show started. I looked at them blankly thinking that they were joking but after a couple of seconds I relized they were not and told them it started at 4 oclock. :confused3

See, I can understand asking "When does the Electrical Parade start?" or "When does Wishes start?". But "what time does the 3:00 parade start?"....it confuzzles me. :confused3

I was going to do solo trip this year but everyone told me "It's not safe to go that far alone" someone is coming with me this year now but in 2013 when new fantasyland opens if I don't find someone to go I'll go solo then :)

That's funny, because that is the place I felt the safest to go to. My flight credit was for anywhere in the continental US, so I considered trips to either New York, Boston or Washington, all of which are high on my "must visit" list. But since I would be travelling alone...I wanted the sense of safety WDW provides. I know bad people can be anywhere, even WDW, but just knowing how much security there is there made me feel very comfortable.

I LOVE that Goofy shirt! :rotfl:

Glad you made it and got "the picture". I always have to get that picture when I come in too!

I don't think I've ever ridden ToT at night, I will have to next time I am there. Can't wait to read the rest of your TR!

Definitely try it - I actually prefer it at night. It fits better with the theming ;)

And a big :welcome: to all the others who've decided to join in on my solo adventures!!

I love your trip report and can't wait to read more:)
My DD (13) is all about anything Canadian because of Justin Bieber. If there is a Tim Horton's around, we have to stop there for hot chocolate. I'll let her know that in the future she should refer to it as Tim's instead of Tim Horton's:thumbsup2
I did get up early to watch the wedding, the timing was really bad for me. The actual ceremony was between the time I am putting my DS (10) and a neighbor's DD on the bus and driving to work. But I for sure was watching all the coverage of the wedding on my computer as soon as I got to work.
(I remember watching Charles & Diana's wedding way back when.)

Hi all,

Another "real life" update for you.

Sorry it's been a while since I posted, but I had a bit on my mind...

A couple of years ago, in July 2008 I witnessed a fatal hit and run. It's taken a long time, but the case is finally at trial, and I had to go to court yesterday to testify. I won't post too many details, but here's a link to a newspaper article on my testimony:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/05/11/hit-run-accused-swerved-at-victim-witness

Anyhow, that's now finally behind me, and I shouldn't have to testify again, barring a mistrial. I'm anxious to see what the verdict is going to be, but I might not know that for a few weeks still.

On to happier things! So long as work is not too busy today, I'll post another update, so stay tuned!

Hi all,

Another "real life" update for you.

Sorry it's been a while since I posted, but I had a bit on my mind...

A couple of years ago, in July 2008 I witnessed a fatal hit and run. It's taken a long time, but the case is finally at trial, and I had to go to court yesterday to testify. I won't post too many details, but here's a link to a newspaper article on my testimony:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/05/11/hit-run-accused-swerved-at-victim-witness

Anyhow, that's now finally behind me, and I shouldn't have to testify again, barring a mistrial. I'm anxious to see what the verdict is going to be, but I might not know that for a few weeks still.

On to happier things! So long as work is not too busy today, I'll post another update, so stay tuned!

I'm so sorry that you had to witness the horrible accident. But, hopefully, your testimony will help in making this man pay for what he did.

That's funny, because that is the place I felt the safest to go to. My flight credit was for anywhere in the continental US, so I considered trips to either New York, Boston or Washington, all of which are high on my "must visit" list. But since I would be travelling alone...I wanted the sense of safety WDW provides. I know bad people can be anywhere, even WDW, but just knowing how much security there is there made me feel very comfortable.

I would be inclined to agree. I plan someday to go solo and stay on International drive for maybe four or five days to do shopping and parks there then move to a disney hotel for the rest of the time as I would feel more secure on disney property!

Another quick real life update - my family's farm was featured on Breakfast Television this morning, which is a morning show out of Toronto. My dad and sister (in the hat with the long dark hair) are featured along with the host, who tries her hand at a couple of different things around the farm. Here are some links:

http://video.citytv.com/video/detail/942100622001.000000/mountjoy-farms-pt1of2/

http://video.citytv.com/video/detail/942610502001.000000/mountjoy-farms-pt2of2/

So much fun for me!! Remember - Farmers Feed Cities!!!

Awesome. I'll have to watch em tomorrow.
i wish i could do a solo trip. But i don't think i can financly and emotionally.
Financely because i can't afford it right now and emotionally because i have been going every year with my mom since 2005 and i would miss her dearly.

I've been a bad trip reporter - getting you all excited and then walking away :guilty:. Real life kinda got in the way...real life's still around, but I swore when I started this that I would finish it, so finish it I will. :cool1:

Unfortunately, I don't have time today to do a full installment, so I'll just tease a few things...some about the trip and some about my summer! I'll leave you to guess which is which!

DSC01197.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

DSC01273.jpg

USCapitol.jpg

DSC01370.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

I most absolutely will be back tomorrow with both a Disney update and a life update!!

Happy Monday all :thumbsup2

I woke up bright and early on my first full day in Orlando. I had plans to see a World...but not the one I was staying at. I was headed to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter!! It would be my first time heading to Universal Studios too, so I was excited about that too! :banana:

IMG_0817.jpg

I had booked a deal through Dreams Unlimited travel - you got a 1-day, 2-park ticket with round-trip transportation from your Disney Resort! Easy peasy breezy! :dance3:

My bus to Universal was leaving at 8:25 a.m. They had told me it would take about 30 minutes to get to US/IOA, so I figured I'd be getting there close to regular opening, which suited me just fine. What they didn't mention was that in addition to picking up a bunch of guests at other Disney resorts (which I expected), they were also dropping off at both SeaWorld and Aquatica BEFORE going to US/IOA (which I didn't expect). This, of course, greatly added to the 30 minutes travel time. I think we pulled in to the bus drop-off at around 9:15 or so.

Still, not so bad. And I had learned from some other trip reports to expect a fairly loooong walk from the parking garage (bus dropped us right next to it) to the entrance for Islands of Adventure. Thank goodness I had read about that, because it's a decent enough trek. Seriously, some people complain about the distance from some rooms at Pop to Classic Hall but are just hunky dory with the size of Citywalk?!? :confused3

DSC01186.jpg

DSC01187.jpg

DSC01188.jpg

When I finally made it to the front gates of Islands of Adventure, I stopped at a cart that was selling Express Passes (sort of like FastPasses, but just not as cool). A "2-park, 1-use-per-ride" Express Pass was $57.98 - since I was planning on doing both parks and had only one day to do it in, I bought one. The lady selling them was very nice, and even went into the system to print my actual park ticket so that I wouldn't have to go to another window, something I greatly appreciated.

What I didn't appreciate was when she held up two lanyards and said "Which would you like? This one is $8.99 and this one is $11.99". Umm...I don't particularly care for lanyards and didn't want one - not one bit. And I definitely didn't want to spend more money on one. So I asked if I absolutely needed to get one. She said ( :snooty: snottily...I guess she figured out I wouldn't be helping her upselling figures) "No, but it's better if you get one. If you lose your Express Pass we can't give you another one, and it's scanned at the entrance to each ride you want to use it for." So I kindly but firmly said "Thanks, but no thanks" thinking to myself "Lady, you're talking to an experienced Disney goer. I knows how to keep track of my KTTW card, multiple fastpasses AND a photopass, lanyard or no lanyard, thank you very much!" ;)

DSC01189.jpg

My park tickets and Express Pass safely secured, I entered IOA. Being a bit of a Disney snob, I must say I was impressed with what I saw. I quickly peeked in a few shops, asked a staff member about their "meal plan" (very confusing...didn't get it), then quickly started to make my way to WWoHP. This, of course, is all the way at the back end of the park. Again, glad I knew this going in! I snapped a few pictures along the way, but I was on a mission.

DSC01190.jpg

DSC01191.jpg

DSC01192.jpg

Soon, I was walking into Hogsmeade. Wow. Just wow. It was GORGEOUS. I honestly felt like I was there, in the books. Props to Universal - they did this right. I think I'll let my pictures tell the rest of the story...

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

DSC01205.jpg

DSC01202.jpg

DSC01200.jpg

DSC01207.jpg

Up next: what to do now that I've made it? Take a Forbidden Journey? Challenge a Dragon? Fly with a Hippogriff? Eat at Three Broomsticks? Maybe....all of it??

I don't think I would have cared for the semi-pushy attitude of the castmember (or whatever they are called at Universal) trying to sell you the lanyard. I never ever wear a lanyard and haven't lost a park ticket or fastpass...thank you very much.

I have never read or seen any of the Harry Potter books/movies but find myself impressed when I see pictures of WWOHP.

I don't think I would have cared for the semi-pushy attitude of the castmember (or whatever they are called at Universal) trying to sell you the lanyard. I never ever wear a lanyard and haven't lost a park ticket or fastpass...thank you very much.

I have never read or seen any of the Harry Potter books/movies but find myself impressed when I see pictures of WWOHP.

Yeah, I was definitely not impressed. :sad2: And I had watched her do this to a bunch of other people in line too - some of whom were already wearing lanyards! I've worked retail, I know how important it is to upsell, but come on!! :rolleyes:

BTW - didn't lose my Express Pass the whole day! :cheer2:

I want to go back to Disney so much, but no one to go with. I just don't think I would enjoy a solo trip BUT i am really looking forward to your trip report, might change my mind!

I want to go back to Disney so much, but no one to go with. I just don't think I would enjoy a solo trip BUT i am really looking forward to your trip report, might change my mind!

To be honest, I had similar worries. Disney is tons of fun, but a part of that fun is being able to turn to the person next to you and say "Wasn't that awesome?!?!"

Surprisingly, I never really noticed that I was "alone". First off, it's so easy to strike up conversations with people on the bus, in line, etc. Second off, you're in Disney, so everybody (well, most everybody) is having a good time. Thirdly, and maybe a bit selfishly, you get to do what you want, when you want. You can eat where you want. You can stand in the 90 minute line for your favourite ride and not have to worry about keeping someone else entertained. Or, you can skip that attraction because no way in heck are you gonna wait that long. Plus - single rider lines!!!

I did take some steps to ward off the times when loneliness could creep in. I was most worried about meal times, so the only table-service I booked was Sci-Fi Diner, where people watch the big screen anyway. Pop actually turned out to be great for that, since they always had Disney shows playing on their TV in the dining area. I texted and called home a couple of times, but not that often.

Glad you're back-looking forward to reading more! I am going to WWoHP for the first time this Dec.-your pictures made me SO excited.

Again - I submit my apologies. I'm still not doing good with the updates :sad2:. But I promise - you'll get two updates today (one Disney, one "real" life).

My quick explanation (not excuse) is that I'm in the process of searching for/buying my first home! It's ummm...quite a process :worried:. I'm submitting an offer today, so fingers crossed! But, I'm going to try not to be disappointed if it doesn't work out. After all, I'll be in no worse shape than I was when I woke up this morning.

Be back soon with an update!!

I really want to see the Wizardling world of Harry Potter. I am hoping in the next few years we can make it there

So...I hope I didn't keep you all in too much suspense. Of couse, the very first thing I did after taking a few pictures, was head right up to Hogwarts. I was going to take a Forbidden Journey with Harry, Ron and Hermione.

Check out the wait time...at about 9:30 in the morning!!

IMG_0828.jpg

Also, my Express Pass (that wasn't in the US/IOA approved lanyard) was not eligible for Forbidden Journey (or for Rip Roaring Rocket (?) on the Universal side), something I knew before purchasing. I found a "Hogwarts student" (aka castmember) and asked if there was a single-rider line. She said there was, but that I'd have to put my bag in a locker.

Ummm...say what?? It was at this point that I realised that Universal has a slightly different bag policy than Disney does. And by "slightly" I mean "very". Bags are not allowed on certain rides, including Forbidden Journey and Dragon Challenge. So I asked where the nearest set of lockers were, and she said "In the castle, but you'll have to wait in that line." :scared1:

Yeah, that wasn't happening.

Then I remembered seeing lockers down in Hogsmeade, near the Hogwarts Express. So back down there I went to put my bag in a locker. Apparently, you could store your bags for 30 minutes for free. That's great, but I refer you all to the picture above. I decided to save myself some stress, and just paid for a couple of hours worth of time. That way, I could stroll around WWoHP without worrying about getting back to my locker in time.

Back up to Hogwarts I went, then followed the instructions to the single rider line. It was practically a walk-on for a single rider - I think I waited all of 5 minutes! :cool1: And that's why I love being "single". :lovestruc

I did snap a few pictures on the way in.

DSC01194.jpg

DSC01195.jpg

Gryffindor Common Room

DSC01197.jpg

Sorting Hat - it actually talked! I can't remember what it said now, but I was impressed!

DSC01198.jpg

As you're boarding the ride...all very cool.

It. Was. Awesome!!! You get into a four person side-by-side car, and you're whisked sideways and upwards to start the ride. You follow Harry, Ron and Hermione on an adventure to save the castle. They've integrated both a thrill-type ride with sensory interaction (similar to Soarin'). I was impressed, and knew that I'd need another ride to really take it all in.

I perused the gift shop for a bit, and admired the Marauder's Map they had on display.

DSC01199.jpg

Before taking my second Journey, I decided to try out the other rides first. I went on Flight of the Hippogriff, which is a tamer ride, slightly less "thrilly" than BTMRR. They had this cool thing for wheelchairs where you could wheel the chair right up to your seat, transfer directly, and a castmember would wheel the empty chair over a passthrough at the back of the train to the "exit" side. That way, the rider is going from chair to ride to chair, without having any really standing/walking to do. ;)

DSC01200.jpg

DSC01201.jpg

DSC01202.jpg

Dragon Challenge was next. There are two to choose from (I think it was either the Chinese Crested or the Hungarian Horntail...). For those that are wondering - this is the "THRILL" ride of WWoHP. Your feet are dangling, you go crazy fast, and you go upside down numerous times. And, oh yeah. If you're too tall you can't ride because your feet will kick the feet of the riders on the other dragon.

DSC01206.jpg

DSC01207.jpg

DSC01208.jpg

Hagrid's Cottage

DSC01211.jpg

Up next - some shopping, Butterbeer and Three Broomsticks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter