All about the Autotrain

We had a roomette whenever we took the AutoTrain, but I saw signs last trip that they were going to be selling "comfort kits" on the train for coach passengers, consisting of a bag containing a neck pillow, blanket, and earphones, and one or two other items I cannot recall. I think the cost was under $10 each. The free pillow and blankets were gong away in favor of this.

http://www.amtrak.com/auto-train-your-car-your-stuff-and-you

This page refers to the cafe car where snacks can be purchased between meals. I've never been to it.

The "comfort kit" was reported on here a couple of months ago at least. Most of us bring our own. You'll see experienced train riders with their own pillows. I never used their blankets.

Last time we took the train in Aug 2012 the prices were similar to what I am seeing now for the return portion of the trip for the same time period in 2014. About 2 weeks after the return booking date became available the price dropped significantly. Hoping for the same this time. Right not returning is almost 500 more than going down.

If the price does not come down we will either drive home or look in to flying. We would probably be able to fly and rent a car for cheaper than the price is now. Previously it had been about break even.

In July 2012 we drove both ways (it was a last minute trip & the prices were so expensive). For our July '13 trip, we booked the train about 6 months out & it was the same price both ways. Now we are planning for July '14, already booked the southbound trip at 11 months out (almost the same price as this year). The northbound is $500 more. I have been checking everyday and no price difference.

We are in the same boat, if the price does not drop, we will be driving home. It is such a long drive home.

Northbound train still high. It will drop. It has to. I check each day. Even coach is double the normal price.

Northbound train still high. It will drop. It has to. I check each day. Even coach is double the normal price.

If they've sold enough in the lower cost buckets, which is why prices go up, then, no, they don't "have" to drop. Will they, maybe, but don't count on that.

When are you heading north? I see you're heading south mid-Aug. If you're heading back north around Labor Day or the start of school, then I can see why the trains are already selling in the higher price buckets. Keep watching though, as prices will drop if people cancel.

bdcp said:
If they've sold enough in the lower cost buckets, which is why prices go up, then, no, they don't "have" to drop. Will they, maybe, but don't count on that.

When are you heading north? I see you're heading south mid-Aug. If you're heading back north around Labor Day or the start of school, then I can see why the trains are already selling in the higher price buckets. Keep watching though, as prices will drop if people cancel.

I've always gotten the best prices for August, early September in December or January. But that may just be in the past.

what I found in my travels on the auto train is that prices are hardly ever lower than those quoted when booked at 11 months out. changing dates may make a difference. last November (2012), we were 5 adults in two cars wanting to leave the day after thanksgiving. we (3) had already booked months prior and got a rate of $868. the other party didn't book until late and got a rate of, 2 people and an SUV was $1100 leaving the day after thanksgiving but $700 leaving on thanksgiving.. we left on thanksgiving!!!

Hey everyone...
I'm headed to Florida on the Auto Train on Sat Oct 12. My husband and I are traveling coach with our 3 and 1 year old sons for a week long vaca in WDW. Has anyone ever dared to take very young kids on this journey? My husband is an Amtrak employee and there's a slim chance we'll be upgraded to a sleeper but I'm just assuming we'll be staying in coach. If anyone feels like giving me a bit of a rundown of the evening I'd really appreciate it! We're bringing sleep stuff for the kiddos (pjs, nap mats, bears etc) but are pillows available on the train for my husband and myself? How about blankets...do I need to bring my own? I know sleeping in coach may be a bit difficult and we already know we'll be quite tired the next day but I do want to be as comfortable as possible without carrying a ton of stuff onboard! Also, is the café car open the entire trip or only after dinner hours are over? We're very excited for this adventure but any tips are welcome! Thanks.
Lauren

My DH is also an Amtrak employee. We have been traveling the AT for the last 9 years as employees. We always go with the thought that we are traveling in coach and if we are upgraded it is a nice surprise. We have traveled with our children as young as 13 months to 19 yrs old.

When you check in and show you pass rider card/Amtrak ID ask if there is an available sleeper. They usually have a list and work off that list. Some trips they know right away there is no sleepers and other trips we are still in the station while they are doing last call for boarding. We have gotten anywheres from 4 roomettes to 2 deluxe sleepers as upgrades. With your children being younger you can do two roomettes -or one deluxe. When they were little in a roomette. I would sleep them on the bottom bunk with our heads at opposite ends. My feet would keep them from falling off. Plus I would have the top bunk left in the up position. For a deluxe you can sleep for kids on the bottom bunk and an adult. One adult would take the top bunk. We did this in July. DS14 on top bunk with DS6, dd10 and myself on the bottom bunk. I didn't think it would work but it did.

As employees you usually get the latest sleeper dining time. Which so does not work w young kids. We have gotten sleepers but dined in coach diner. Which just means walking the length of the train to eat. We have also gotten out meal in our rooms if the seating is 9pm. If you get a late seating talk to your room attendant and he/she will work with you. Last time they told us to just go to the 5pm seating. They were able to fix it once the train started moving. Our first trip we just showed up at 9pm for dinner with all kids on tow and the staff said to speak up ESP w the kids. We do pack extra snacks and drinks too.

With the ages if your kids I would pack a few toys to play with. IE trains, dolls etc. DVD player with headphones. Pack double the amount of diapers and formula. We always planned for delays. We also pack OTC meds too. We bring blankets and pillows. We have gotten on a NB AT just arrived after being 17 hrs delayed SB on the tracks. Always pack extra especially diapers and wipes. Don't forget an extra set of clothes incase the kids get yours dirty.

If you travel in coach for the youngest. Put him in the window seat to sleep. Lay the pillow down on seat and them lay child on pillow. Take the foot rest and pull it all the way up to create a wall. It will keep them from rolling out. For the 3 yr old just make the footrest level with the seat and lay the child on the seat bottom and foot rest in the window seat. That usually works for us. I find the rocking of the train keeps them out for the night. I do pack pjs so they know its time to sleep.

You may want to bring a carrier if you baby wear your 1yr old. You will need both hands to negotiate the walking on the train. It does sway at times. I used mine often.

As for the cafe car. I don't think it's open overnight. We usually hang on put room or on coach after dinner and don't walk around alot. We have usually been up since the day bf - there is cookies and apples/bananas around to grab and go.

Train usually leaves by 4pm or sooner. Dinner at 5,7 or 9. Lights out in coach at 9pm. Breakfast starts at 6am. Usually we get up at 630 and see where we are in relations to arriving.

If you search the thread by my username you'll find lots of information on traveling with kids on the AT. If you like to PM me please do. I can give you more info about things to do in the area while waiting to board. I'd be happy to answer and ?'s

So our party has opted to do the AutoTrain instead of the drive for our Nov 2014 trip.

My mom and I live in CT we're going to drive down to Jessup, MD on Oct 30 and spend the night at the aunties who are coming to WDW with us. Then the next day we head for Lorton which is only an hour or so away from Jessup.

This is really going to take a lot of the driving burden off of me and we're all very excited. Apparently one of my aunts has always wanted to travel by train and never had the opportunity.

I've traveled in Amtrak sleeper cars before, but never with someone needing a wheelchair (my mom can't walk great distances - she can go from room to room at home but needs the chair whenever we go out). We are getting regular roomettes because she doesn't really need the h/c accessible room- is there a place where the attendant can stow her folding w/c onboard? Or would they have one she can use to get onboard (ie through the station and any long walks) and we can leave hers in the car?

:goodvibes

You will want to get roomettes on the lower level and there is a storage area that is large enough for a folded wheel chair. I don't remember seeing wheelchairs at either station in September, but I wasn't looking and may have missed them.

Does anyone gave a packing list for the train? We leave next Friday with our 4 yr old and 7 yr old. I'm trying to put together our train bag. Thank you!!

This is a list for 2 adults...so it may not be very useful to you.. We take a small amount of everything, but water (we take 3 liters each of water)

Snacks
Water bottles
Pillow /w cover and case
Dvc swim bag /w dvd player
Headphones 2
Splitter
Dvds
Mp3
Mp3 charger
Cellphone
Cellphone charger
Book
Puzzle book
Games
Journal and pen
Eyeglass case
Eye mask
Cough drops
Earplugs
Advil
Advil pm
Tums
Pepto
Bandaids
Neosporin
Aquafor
Face wipes
Hand wipes
Glasses wipe
Face moisturizer
Hand lotion
Eye drops
Tooth brush
Tooth paste
Make-up bag for toilet
Nail file
blanket

Thank you:). Another question, is anyone worried about lack of security on the auto train? :(. I'm starting to get really worried about it.

Thank you:). Another question, is anyone worried about lack of security on the auto train? :(. I'm starting to get really worried about it.

What do you mean? Your car? Your family while asleep? I'm not following you.

I've ridden Amtrak a lot and have never had an issue (and I often traveled as a woman riding solo). I've never hesitated to sleep or felt unsafe in any way.

What do you mean? Your car? Your family while asleep? I'm not following you. I've ridden Amtrak a lot and have never had an issue (and I often traveled as a woman riding solo). I've never hesitated to sleep or felt unsafe in any way.

I mean terrorist wise.

I mean terrorist wise.

No. It never even enters my mind to be honest (and I'm in New England which has had more than it's fair share of incidents).

And don't think that just because you don't think there is or see security means that there isn't security.

both autotrain stations are exclusively for autotrain customers--no other trains. There are not random people milling around like in a regular train station. They check your car in at a gate. You can't drive past the gate without a reservation. I guess someone could walk up--but that would look a bit weird and both are down a fairly long road/driveway. I take the train to Union Station in DC to work and I am more worried about something there (2 blocks from the Capitol). I have never been concerned about the autotrain in 10+ times riding.

I mean terrorist wise.

Amtrak takes security seriously and not everything is visible to the public. Amtrak has their own security force with bomb sniffing dogs. Amtrak uses them at all of their stations, including the AT stations.

Anyone been lately? Anything to report?

We were on the AutoTrain on 9/27 Lorton to Sanford, and 10/4 Sanford to Lorton. The train was VERY crowded on 9/27, we unfortunately were in coach. There was what appeared to be a "newer" lounge car on that train. It had larger windows that went from about a foot above the floor to the upper curve of the car. Bar, etc was on the lower level. There was more seating and it was more comfortable. On 10/4 we had a roomette, and train was not crowded. The lounge car on that train was the old type with the bar in the middle of the upper level of the lounge car. Both ways, we got in about 30 to 45 minutes late due to freight train delays during the night.
Food was good as usual.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter