• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aldi worth a 31 mile drive?

global_mom

DIS Veteran
I keep reading good things about Aldi but the store closest to us is 31 miles
(62 miles roundtrip) away. Are the savings worth the drive as the drive will cost some $$$ b/c of gas prices? It will take me approximately 5.25 gallons of gas to drive there and back so that is about $20.

Can I save enough on pantry staples to make this worth it?
Are the prices about the same as buying local store brands?

Thanks for the help!

No, No and No... wouldn't drive that far for Aldi. Especially if you don't like off brands, it's mostly off brands and the meat is weird looking. I usually got produce, but the last time I was there is didn't look very fresh.

Depending on what you buy - and how much - you could easily save much more than $20.. However, I would make one very, very long list so you can pick up as many items as possible during that one trip..:goodvibes

I also wouldn't drive that far for Aldi's. You would need to buy quite a bit to make up for your cost in gas.

It's not worth a 30 mile one-way trip. We have two in the area and I don't go out of my way to shop there. If I have the opportunity to take the back way home I will shop at the one closest to where I work. It's about two miles away from there, but about 10 from home. The other is closer to DH's workplace, but not on the route home, nor is there any other reason we'd go over that way.

I decided to give them a try just the other day. I bought 31 items, including 4 paper bags @ 5¢each, for about $50 (I left my fabric bag in the car and forgot to look for boxes while I was shopping).

We haven't gotten around to trying many of the groceries, but I warmed the package roast beef slices (8 slices in each pack for $2.49) and melted sliced cheddar cheese ($1.99) on hamburger buns ($0.69) - all bought on that trip. It wasn't Arby's but the sandwiches were good.

I'll probably go again, given I don't have to go out of my way to get there. Super Walmart is 1/2 mile away from home and there are other supermarkets that I am closer to on a daily basis that have a wider selection and favorite brands that we like and trust, so I am more likely to shop elsewhere.

When gas is $4 a gallon (as it is here), there aren't many stores worth a 62 mile round trip!

I disagree, IF you use it as a huge stock up trip. When there wasn't an Aldi's nearby, I would drive 35 miles to the one nearest me 3-4 times a year (usually tax refund and bonus check time) I'd do a huge stock up on canned goods, boxed items like cereals and pastas, paper products and baking supplies. Those things are way cheaper at Aldi's than at the grocery store, even with sales and coupons.

I wouldn't go there as a weekly or even a monthly shop, especially with gas prices so out of control, but if you plan well, it can be very beneficial.

I would go, and do a major stock up.

I drive 20 miles one way to get to our Aldi.. but, that's how far I drive for all grocery stores. I do all of my "town" errands at the same time.

If you are familiar with Aldi's and know which of their products your family likes than it might be worth the trip. Otherwise, no. I found Aldi's worked for me when I got one or two new items each week. We could find what we liked without spending alot on things we ended up not liking. For example, we love their canned corn, frozen breaded chicken breast, yogurt and canned fruit. We find their chips ok. We're not big fans of their canned tomato products or pepperoni. It is really a personal taste issue. Now that I know things we like I would make a trip like maybe every other month or a couple of times a year to stock up. Even with sale prices and coupons I can seldom beat their canned good prices.

On the other hand, if you haven't tried them and don't know which products your family would eat than I don't think I'd make the drive hoping to save money.

I keep reading good things about Aldi but the store closest to us is 31 miles
(62 miles roundtrip) away. Are the savings worth the drive as the drive will cost some $$$ b/c of gas prices? It will take me approximately 5.25 gallons of gas to drive there and back so that is about $20.

Can I save enough on pantry staples to make this worth it?
Are the prices about the same as buying local store brands?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, I would definitely combine trips.

Maybe visit other grocery or thrift stores nearby to make it worth the expense.

Nope not worth it at all.
As much as I love Aldi if I had to drive that far with gas prices as high as they are, I wouldn't do it.

I shop at Aldi's regularly, but it's only about a mile out of my way. BIG difference! For my own shopping habits, what you're proposing would not make sense financially. However, since you've never been, you don't know whether it'll be worthwhile for you.

They have good prices on chips and cookies, canned goods, dairy products, and bread. I don't care for their produce. They have some good frozen things too.

The biggest question is, WHAT ELSE do you need to do that's in that same direction? If there's a museum to which you'd like to take your kids, if there's other shopping you'd like to do in that area, or if you have some other reason to go that way, then plan to "make it a day" and get it all done at once.

Also, as others have suggested, be prepared to make the shopping trip worth your while. Plain to stock up since you can't go back reguarly.

A couple Aldi notes:
They take only cash or debit cards.
THey don't give you shopping bags, so take your own or use their cardboard boxes.
Be sure you have a quarter in your pocket (not two dimes and a nickle, but a quarter) 'cause you'll need it for the cart.

I shop at Aldi's regularly, but it's only about a mile out of my way. BIG difference! For my own shopping habits, what you're proposing would not make sense financially. However, since you've never been, you don't know whether it'll be worthwhile for you.

They have good prices on chips and cookies, canned goods, dairy products, and bread. I don't care for their produce. They have some good frozen things too.

The biggest question is, WHAT ELSE do you need to do that's in that same direction? If there's a museum to which you'd like to take your kids, if there's other shopping you'd like to do in that area, or if you have some other reason to go that way, then plan to "make it a day" and get it all done at once.

Also, as others have suggested, be prepared to make the shopping trip worth your while. Plain to stock up since you can't go back reguarly.

A couple Aldi notes:
They take only cash or debit cards.
THey don't give you shopping bags, so take your own or use their cardboard boxes.
Be sure you have a quarter in your pocket (not two dimes and a nickle, but a quarter) 'cause you'll need it for the cart.

Good idea about combining the trip with another activity. We are planning to go into Atlanta to a Braves game and then we could stop at Aldi on the way back home. That way, Aldi just becomes an "on the way home" trip and I can check it out w/o making a special trip. Thanks!

PS - just noticed your "name". My DH is also named Pete and lots of his client's kids call me "MrsPete" when they can not remember our last name. Cool!

No not for me it's not, The Aldi here has almost done away with there groceries and is now selling a bunch of junk

It's worth it to me to drive 21 miles one way to our Aldi's. Our little town has a grocery but the prices are expensive! They have 10 for $10 sales....of items that would cost me .89 at any other store. :confused3 So I do drive to a larger city to do my banking and groceries every week. We don't do Aldi's every week but do a stock up every so often that really saves us $$$. Loooonnng ago when the boys were in diapers the diapers at Aldi's save me tons of money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter