Aldi products - who makes them??

Thanks for that information!

Muellers, that's a brand we buy in the regular grocery store. For something like spaghetti, just the pasta, not mixed with anything but just the dry pasta, is the Aldi's version exactly the same as Muellers, just labeled differently? I tried to tell my dad that Aldi's has brand name manufacturers foods just under their private label and he told me that may be the case, but it's stuff the brand names rejected, didn't meet their quality standards. I didn't think this was true, even if it is, the quality is fine for me, I've liked everything except that noodles and sauce pack. I'm just curious. My dad is just a bit of a snob when it comes to this kind of thing and apparently thinks shopping at Aldi is beneath him :confused3 . To me that's just dumb, but whatever, he's shopping for one person, I'm shopping for five, I need to make my dollars stretch all the further!

Yes....we manufacture JUST the pasta for them (Elbow Mac, Speghetti, ect.). We do not supply them with the noodles & sauce at this time....probaly Lipton or someone like that. We do however (as of recently) manufacture SOME noodles & sauce items....currently sold under the Golden Grain label. We are North America's largest producer of dry pasta.

Anyhow, to answer your question about the quality. NO, Aldi's product is not the 'rejected' product. We produce their pasta for them. We have many different levels of quality based on what's set up between the sales team and the customer. I'm in Customer Service, so I don't know the specs/label....but, I can tell you I feed my family any of the labels we produce (including the Great Valu at Wal*Mart, Reggiano at Aldi, Meijer label, ect.). I honestly can't tell TOO much of a difference between 1 label and another....I can tell you my favorite is Pasta LaBella (which I THINK may be one of the top labels), but it was my favorite even before I worked here.

Hope this helps.

We have recently started shopping at Aldi's, and I thought I would see if any Aldi Gurus:thumbsup2 know who makes some of the products like the peanut butter, milk, yogurts, etc ...really any product. (I am trying to convince my husband the peanut butter is secretly Jiff :rotfl2: ) Also, because of the Peter Pan recall, I am wondering if they would notify you if it was the same manufacturer.
Thanks!

Most "store brands" tend to be made by the same manufacturer, regardless of the store's name on the label (in other words, it all comes from the same factory).

As for daily perishables like store-branded milk/bread, they all come from your nearest dairy/bakery.

Anyhow, to answer your question about the quality. NO, Aldi's product is not the 'rejected' product.

In Germany ALDI has always had an excellent reputation for quality. We have very strict laws about food additives etc which is why food is less processed and has fewer chemicals, colouring, etc. Mahy of your products such as Nutella, Toblerone, etc are not the 'real' product because they have additives not permitted in their original country of origin.

ALDI in America tends to be seen as 'low end' by some people (there is one poster who posts on ALDI threads but I think that her impression is tempered by the customers she saw more than the store)

While the American stores are nothing near the German stores in terms of product I would think that the general business model of providing quality at a good price would be the same.

I wish we had one of these places around here so I could go check it out for myself, it sounds like an interesting place?

Does anyone know if it is similar to a Food Basics? We have one of them in the next town over and I've never gone there either but I've heard they are good for some things.

I have been told that:
Canned veggies are Del Monte
Frozen Lasagna is Stouffers (sp?)

I was also told to consider the "Special Purchase" items they get and that's who is most likely the one who makes the Aldi brand too, which makes sense to me. Why would you contract with one company for your store brand and use their competitor for your "Special Purchase" stuff? With that in mind, some of the "Special Purchase" brand name items I've seen from time to time are:
Red Baron (a Schwann's company) Pizza
Campbell's soups
Prego Spaghetti sauce (part of Campbell's)
Kraft Mac & Cheese powdered and with the creamy cheese packet (My sister is a devoted Kraft Mac & Cheese snob, but she commented on how good mine was when she ate mine from Aldi.)
Velveeta Shells & Cheese
Stouffers Lasagna
Nabisco Cheese Nips
Lots of brand name cereals including Kellogg's
Malt o Meal is the only company that makes a "Blueberry Muffin Tops" cereal, but Aldi gets a "Blueberry Streussel" cereal once in a while that is exactly the same.
Tide
Angel Soft, Charmin, Brawny and Bounty (though I don't feel the Aldi paper products I've tried are of the same quality)
Juicy Juice

I Googled this subject & this Dis thread came up. I love ALDIS & I am saving a fortune.

I think the salad dressing is Kraft.

If you look at the Aldi's supplier website you'll find that Tyson(chicken) and Sara Lee are both suppliers of theirs. Their stuff is not rejects.

If you look at the Aldi's supplier website you'll find that Tyson(chicken) and Sara Lee are both suppliers of theirs. Their stuff is not rejects.

How do you find the Aldi supplier website? I love Aldi, and I'm curious as to who makes some of the products.

Trader Joe's is owned by the 'other' Albrecht brother (the one who does not own the American ALDI stores but owns the north ALDI stores). Tonight I ate a box of Trader Joe's chocolate brandy beans made in Germany; it is not as good as Asbach Uralt but I think that it is a fairly common one sold under a brand name in Germany. Trader Joe's sells Bonne Maman tartlets under their name... They sell Jules Destrooper belgian cookies under their name.

I have been pestering TJ's to check out my city for a future expansion. Do Aldi and Trader Joe's ever set up shop in the same areas, or does this mean that if my town has an Aldi, we probably have little chance of getting Trader Joe's??

I have been pestering TJ's to check out my city for a future expansion. Do Aldi and Trader Joe's ever set up shop in the same areas, or does this mean that if my town has an Aldi, we probably have little chance of getting Trader Joe's??

One is not related to the other however demographically speaking they go for 2 very different clientels so you would most likely not find them in the same town unless it was a large city or metro area.

I can tell you that the mac & cheese, cheese product or dressing product IS NOT Kraft product.

Kraft produces and sells only under the kraft name. My DH works at one of the largest kraft plants and they produce only the kraft brand. He says that is one of their "things" - that they don't produce for other companies, ie store brand - Aldi's, Walmart etc. They do produce other sub-brands ie kool-aid, nabisco, planters, oscar mayer, etc, but if you look on the back it is always clearly marked "a Kraft Co."

just an fyi!

Malt-o-meal makes Aldi's oatmeal. They had a recall on their oatmeal and it was included in that and as of a month ago, Aldi's did not have any oatmeal. Also, on Aldi's website, they have a recall page so they do notify the public in that way. I think they also have them posted in the store too.

To the person who works at Aldi's, who makes the ketchup? Let's put this debate to rest.

I live in Pittsburgh. We have SEVERAL Aldi's and a Trader Joe's.

I believe what aldi does is makes deal with the number one product in each category and thats what they sell, under the aldi name.

So if the number one ketchup is heinz ketchup, thats what is in the aldi brand. Same with other products. So id you don't like the number one product, you won't like the aldi brand.

i'm not sure where you figure out what is what?

THERE IS NO WAY THAT HEINZ makes the aldi ketchup!!!!

Aldi-branded products may or may not be manufactured by your favorite brand name -- that's the "mystery" behind store branding, and retailers go to great lengths to ensure those "secret identities" aren't publicly-known.

Same goes for other well-known store brands of processed staple foods like Great Value (Walmart) and Market Pantry (Target).

And manufacturers/suppliers of store brands change from time to time, so in some cases, it may not be the exact same product your taste buds are accustomed to...

I stopped buying the processed foods and started going back to the grocery store for a few things, but I still get my canned and frozen veggies, fresh veggies, fresh meats if they have what I am looking for (I really dislike the frozen cheicken breasts that are injected with saline and then flash frozen), whole grain bread, chocolate syrup, salad dressings, pasta sauce, and tomato paste/puree. I found when I went to strictly Aldi shopping I gained weight--I am already heavy and the extra was not good. I don't like to pay more than I have to, but some things are not just the same. Now I am more careful and when I go back to work in September I will most likely be shopping at Wegmans with a run to Aldi just to fill the pantry. I won't have the time to do both stores weekly once school starts.

Aldi is great if that is how you eat--lots of frozen pre prep stuff, but if you cook a lot from scratch you can get your staples from Aldi and fill in the rest of the fresh stuff from another market. I shop only the perimeter of Wegman's now and just go to Aldi to fill in the pantry stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter