Air conditioned spots in US and Islands of Adventure

Sarahbelle341

Mouseketeer
We are getting ready for our first summer visit to Universal. We have 4 days tickets so I'm pretty sure we will have plenty of time for everything. Feeling a bit nervous about the heat. What are some air conditioned attractions and lines we can cool off in? Anything like the Dumbo play area at Disney or Country Bears? Which air conditioned quick service spots have coke freestyle mugs and plenty of seating? Is it frowned upon for a non-rider to sit in the air conditioned quick service spot with a drink from their freestyle mug while teh rest of the fmaily rides a nearby ride? Is Camp Jurassic all air conditioned?

Last edited:
I know most restaurants (sit down) have air conditioning and many of the ride queues do (Spiderman, Cat in the Hat, Transformers, MIB, etc.). Although we love love love Express Pass, sometimes we wander an additional five minutes or so in the EP line to get the AC.

Similar to Disney - we feel Universal does a very good job providing cool areas to relax/stand/sit throughout the day - plus drink plenty of fluids!

Having your home base at a roller coaster park where you stand in no theme turnstiles all day with a few industrial fans blowing hot air on you - Orlando theme parks are wonderful!

And people frown an just about everything these days - pay them no attention...

There's very little that isn't air conditioned.

Queues are the same.......things like the outdoor areas of queues have big mister fans blowing down on you......and they are scattered around the park in certain areas too.

No one will mind you sitting in a quick service place and having a drink to wait on family.

Diagon Alley always seems to feel quite cool. We tended to head there when it was really hot.

I have a harder time finding place without AC (not my thing :) ) To stay hydrated, there are Coke Freestyle machines around the parks where you can get free ice water.

What Damo and the rest above said. Diagon alley is indeed cooler and most all areas are AC. You sound like you're familiar with Disney so it's not like the heat stroke 5k around Epcot. It's so hot there.. Why is it so hot there?!

It was high 90s for my trip in September and I found I was fine in shorts in a tank and even got cold inside often... Compared to Epcot in May last year where my sister and I sat outside the American adventure for 30 minutes because we were overheated.

I like to hang out in the back corner of mels as its usually very cool back there. In MIB if you go in the exit (or ask to go to the kid swap area) there's some nice cool benches to wait for your group. It's always freezing in there! And you get to overlook the loading area so you know exactly when your group is getting on. Hung out there for about 20 minutes waiting on a tour one day.

the shows are usually pretty cool too and terminator and horror make up are ac'd. JP discovery center is ACd and a fun place to hang out if you're not a water ride person and your family is. Also most all the areas there are shady as they have tropical style plants. I personally love to hangout near the lake as its not a very traveled path there.

I have found that knockturn alley in Diagon Alley stays pretty cool. It is really nice back there that I wish there was a bench.

Unlike Disney, Universal for the most part has almost all areas air conditioned. However, I'll try to think if there's some that might not be...

For Universal
- At least in the beginning, is Men in Black, but it's shaded and once you get inside it's fully air conditioned (which is almost all of the queue).
- ET is not air conditioned in the beginning as well, but once again shaded and should be able to quickly gain access inside and is fully air conditioned inside (like MIB).
- Shrek is outside period, some of it shaded, some not, however it's a show, so when they let people inside, it's a lot of guests at a time.
- The Simpsons is outside period and some parts are shaded and some are not.
For Islands of Adventure
- The Dragon Challenge is partially outside, but basically the part that's outside is you walking to the attraction, the time you're waiting you'll be in an air conditioned environment.
- Flight of the Hippogriff is outside and shaded (however I haven't been there for long waits so I do not know who it is once the wait is really long).
- Hogwarts Express is partially outside and inside.
- Jurassic Park is outside period and is not air conditioned, but shaded and a water ride.
- Popeye is outside, but once again shaded and also a water ride.
- Dudley Doo Right is partially an outside queue and inside queue and once again a water ride.

At the top of my head those are the attractions I can think of in which you might for a partial time, or full time be waiting outside in an un-air conditioned environment, everything else I'm pretty sure is a fully air conditioned environment.

If you want a place to chill that's air conditioned and that is not too crowded, as I suggested in another post, you can always go to Discovery Center in the Jurassic area. We like to chill near the dinosaurs in the corner and sit while leaning against the rocks. Or another place I recently discovered, but not really tried out, is a place that's at the exit of Horror Make Up Show. You exit the show and there is a hallway which people enter into, before going into a gift shop. Except for the flood of people who would come out of the show every half hour, or so, I would imagine the hallway to be empty and it is definitely cool in there.

Like everyone said, it's kind of hard to not find a place that's air conditioned, but typically places are flooded with people, or it might be hard to find a place to sit, however, with these places you'll be sitting on the ground, but at least you'll be able to relax in the comfort of air conditioning and not too many people hovering over you.

@Disxuni dr doom is in and out... Express is all out right?
And FJ has outside and inside portion depending on length of line.
High in the sky is all out
... But again I do stress I never feel as overheated as I do at the other side of Orlando.

Fun fact... Might have been mentioned already? Free style machines offer free ice and water to anyone with something to hold it. Any food stand with cups will gladly give you a free cup of water- just ask specifically for a cup of water. Staying hydrated is a vital part of staying cool. You're allowed to bring a sealed water bottle or an empty water bottle in. Once the seal is broken you must empty it to be allowed in

@Disxuni dr doom is in and out... Express is all out right?
And FJ has outside and inside portion depending on length of line.
High in the sky is all out
... But again I do stress I never feel as overheated as I do at the other side of Orlando.

Fun fact... Might have been mentioned already? Free style machines offer free ice and water to anyone with something to hold it. Any food stand with cups will gladly give you a free cup of water- just ask specifically for a cup of water. Staying hydrated is a vital part of staying cool. You're allowed to bring a sealed water bottle or an empty water bottle in. Once the seal is broken you must empty it to be allowed in

Totally forgot the Seuss ride as I rarely ride it, FJ as I always do single rider, and forgot Doom since I never ride it. I knew I was forgetting a few, thank you!

No, it was not mentioned, but it is a good tip! Also, I want to say make sure it's a wide opened water bottle. As I heard that due to sanitary reasons, it needs to be wide in order to fit and be able to get the cold water in there. They do not want it to touch the tops, as obviously people put their mouths on it. However, as long as it is wide, they'll give you all the cool water you need!

The line for flight of the hippogriff is hot! Thankful for express! People are baking in the standby line. Tinyd you are right! The parks to the south are hot! Especially MGM with all the blacktop streets!

The line for flight of the hippogriff is hot! Thankful for express! People are baking in the standby line. Tinyd you are right! The parks to the south are hot! Especially MGM with all the blacktop streets!
May she RIP (streets of America) and MGM... Showing your age buddy

Lol easy there! That's what it is to me. Also not happy they took the sorcerers hat out. No problem though, we are done with those parks for a while now.
I hear you. I'm not happy about the hat either and I JUST started using HS name and now they're going to change it again! Plus I had to take a punch since you left it open.

In other news another cool areas... haha my bad

I'm pretty sure it's since the security crack down. However, when I was there it was during Mardi Gras..... I heard MANY security guards "fighting" with people who were very annoyed by this. At one point someone said it was only at night. However, I was behind a lady in line the day after Mardi Gras who was not happy and... Well it took us a second to get through security. That was getting on the boat from PBH. Let me see if I can find a picture of the new security signs....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter