[ADVISORY] WDW - Touch to Pay Process Changes During System Challenges

While this adds nothing of any value to the discussion, I just have to say how unbelievably happy I am to be staying off site for our next trip (3 days!!). Just a regular ticket to get in and then I can enjoy my vacation just like I always have in the past!! Pulling regular FP was never a big deal and still won't be (we're not big ride people anyway, and we don't do DHS, so who cares that the headliner FP are out early). No worries about not being able to charge (using my trusty old Amex and some gift cards) and no real worries about being locked out of my room. Even though one could go to Disney now, utilize all the new technology and have no problems, the odds are pretty good that some kind of glitch is likely to occur, particularly because they keep changing things. What an awful time to be doing an on-site trip to WDW, IMO. All that to say, I feel geniunely sorry for those of you who are guinea pigs for this system. I imagine it will all be good in the end, but who knows how long it will take to get there. In the meantime hundreds of thousands of you are being subjected to all kinds of aggravations while spending thousands and thousands of dollars for the "privelege". SMH.

It will be interesting to see if the legacy FP are available longer once the resort guests stop getting the KTTW cards and can double and triple dip. As it is right now there's no way the two systems could co-exist, but if resort guests are prevented from getting FP with their KTTW card and off-site guests and AP holders can get them then maybe they won't get rid of the old system completely. That may result in some of the die hards leaving Disney property and going off-site though.

Resort guests don't have to move off property. They can choose to buy and use Undercover Tourist tickets and book a room-only reservation. These work in the legacy FP machines just like they do for off-site guests. And currently, at least, can be linked to MB so as to allow for FP+ as well. That's my plan. At least until new changes are announced! I am sure if enough people stop buying tickets along with their room then Disney will notice. Whether they implement any changes in response...who knows?

Also, allowing off-site guests access to more than 3 FP's while limiting resort guests to 3? No way that will stay. Not in Disney's best interest monetarily.

I've always thought thought magic bands were voluntary. I think a kitten is always an option.

I don't comment much - but I lurk all the time.

And I have to say - I laughed so hard at this, I had tears running down my face. Thanks a lot - as I'm getting ready to head out to a concert, had just applied my make-up, and now have to go reapply it...thanks to the "kitten."

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I always carry 2 credit cards with me in addition to my KTTW card after I had it demagnitize.

As long as you have some other form of payment on you, it won't be a problem. Although I'm sure Disney will come up with a way to get their money somehow.

I plan on asking for a KTTW card as long as I can instead of dealing with magic bands. I carry many things on me so having to add a KTTW card won't matter.
Whereas having to deal with a band in my bag will be annoying - I'm not going to be wearing it.

You know this for sure?

Everything we touched-to-pay went to our room charge. It did not go directly to a CC, nor did I assume it would. Just like touching the RFID cards in February and just like using the KTTW to "pay" before, it charges to the room which charges to the CC.

Everything we touched-to-pay went to our room charge. It did not go directly to a CC, nor did I assume it would. Just like touching the RFID cards in February and just like using the KTTW to "pay" before, it charges to the room which charges to the CC.

Disney wants you to charge to your room as it saves them money in the form of transaction fees charged by the credit card processors. In most merchant agreements, there is a flat transaction fee, as well as a percentage of the sale, to process the transaction. Disney only pays the transaction fee once doing it this way, versus paying it every time you charge a Mickey ice cream bar if it went direct to your credit card. Of course, they will take your credit card for payment if that's what you present - it is Disney after all, and they do want your money.

Disney wants you to charge to your room as it saves them money in the form of transaction fees charged by the credit card processors. In most merchant agreements, there is a flat transaction fee, as well as a percentage of the sale, to process the transaction. Disney only pays the transaction fee once doing it this way, versus paying it every time you charge a Mickey ice cream bar if it went direct to your credit card. Of course, they will take your credit card for payment if that's what you present - it is Disney after all, and they do want your money.

I expect they might do something similar with "direct" credit card payments via MagicBand. The folio gets linked to your MDX account instead of the room, and they would do a daily charge or something like that. As long as they can provide the itemized list.

That way they still save on the transaction charges, and it's part of the "profit" of nextgen...

I expect they might do something similar with "direct" credit card payments via MagicBand. The folio gets linked to your MDX account instead of the room, and they would do a daily charge or something like that. As long as they can provide the itemized list.

That way they still save on the transaction charges, and it's part of the "profit" of nextgen...

That makes a lot of sense. They can email you the itemized transaction detail at the end of the day.

I would agree that my biggest concern is room access. I stayed four nights at BWV last week and got my first MB. Coming back from the park late, two nights the MB worked on the door, and two nights it didn't. Fortunately I had a KTTW as a backup, and was able to access my room without having to take a hike to the front desk. I also had issues because they put my AP on the band without my knowledge (I did not get the band in advance because I only made the reservation two days out) and then they invalidated my AP card - and it wasn't until the third day that someone figured out that mess. The only thing the MB worked correctly for was my FP+ for Soarin - but the system insisted on making FP+ for TT and M:S as well, and as hard as I tried, I couldn't cancel them. So there were two FP+ someone else could have used that I couldn't get rid of.

I really think they have a lot more testing to do before they start eliminating their backup plan. If they want to restrict the use of the KTTW for legacy FP, I can understand that. But I can't understand why any hotel would want to risk their guests being locked out of their rooms 50% of the time. That is totally unacceptable (and I told them so in the surveys when I got home).

I would agree that my biggest concern is room access. I stayed four nights at BWV last week and got my first MB. Coming back from the park late, two nights the MB worked on the door, and two nights it didn't. Fortunately I had a KTTW as a backup, and was able to access my room without having to take a hike to the front desk. I also had issues because they put my AP on the band without my knowledge (I did not get the band in advance because I only made the reservation two days out) and then they invalidated my AP card - and it wasn't until the third day that someone figured out that mess. The only thing the MB worked correctly for was my FP+ for Soarin - but the system insisted on making FP+ for TT and M:S as well, and as hard as I tried, I couldn't cancel them. So there were two FP+ someone else could have used that I couldn't get rid of.

I really think they have a lot more testing to do before they start eliminating their backup plan. If they want to restrict the use of the KTTW for legacy FP, I can understand that. But I can't understand why any hotel would want to risk their guests being locked out of their rooms 50% of the time. That is totally unacceptable (and I told them so in the surveys when I got home).

Having the KTTW cards wouldn't help in this case. The system controlling access would have been at fault. It wouldn't matter if it was MagicBands or KTTW cards - they are both RFID devices and work the exact same way in this case.

And the same thing could happen with the old system. However, because of the changes they are likely making to solve various issues, they could have screwed up the access system (supposition - no idea what the cause was)

Having the KTTW cards wouldn't help in this case. The system controlling access would have been at fault. It wouldn't matter if it was MagicBands or KTTW cards - they are both RFID devices and work the exact same way in this case.

And the same thing could happen with the old system. However, because of the changes they are likely making to solve various issues, they could have screwed up the access system (supposition - no idea what the cause was)

Are you referring to the room access or the other issues? Having a KTTW definitely helped with the room, because the card worked flawlessly and the MB didn't (even after a trip back to the front desk the first day to have it checked out). I don't know if I got a lemon of a MB or what - they did have to spend a lot of time (and three CM's) programming it when I checked in, and then two more re-programming it later that first day. In all the years of magnetic KTTW, and even with the new RFID KTTW, I have never been locked out of my room because the card didn't work. I'm not so sure about the MB reliability when it comes to room access.

As far as the AP issue and the FP+ issue, I agree that as they tweak things, there can be problems. I had my ID with me, so I wasn't turned away from the park, and the FP+ issue wasn't a problem for me so much as not allowing those to be released for someone else to use. But when the survey asked how much "easier" my vacation was due to the MBs . . . let's just say my answer was very much in the negative. I think with time, it will improve, but I don't think that time is here yet.

Are you referring to the room access or the other issues? Having a KTTW definitely helped with the room, because the card worked flawlessly and the MB didn't (even after a trip back to the front desk the first day to have it checked out). I don't know if I got a lemon of a MB or what - they did have to spend a lot of time (and three CM's) programming it when I checked in, and then two more re-programming it later that first day. In all the years of magnetic KTTW, and even with the new RFID KTTW, I have never been locked out of my room because the card didn't work. I'm not so sure about the MB reliability when it comes to room access.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the POP issue where everyone had problems at the same time.

Agreed. I was under the impression (apparently falsely) that both would be an option since the cards also have the RFID chip. I do NOT want to have to force my 3 yr old to wear it, which I guess means I'll be carrying a bracelet around.

I can guarantee that 2/3 of mine will lose their bands. I'm planning on bringing a carabiner clip to hold them all in my purse. It'll just be a lot bulkier than the little envelope of cards. ;)

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the POP issue where everyone had problems at the same time.

Got it!:thumbsup2

I can see where that could happen regardless of the type of key you are using. But mine was not like that. I'm really hoping when I order my customised MB for my December trip, I can retire the "lemon" and maybe I won't have so many problems. I don't know why they didn't just trade it out in the first place when they couldn't get it programmed at check in.:confused3

So what happens if you don't have cash?? Or another form of payment and you go to buy dinner. Are you just SOL if it doesn't work?

I would imagine that Disney would chain you up by your ankles in a dungeon below WDW and make you perform manual labor at minimum wage until your bill is paid off...:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter