• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advice on taking a year off

DH and I went to Las Vegas last summer while the kids were at their grandparent's house for a week (they live 3 hours from us) and while we were in Vegas, we decided to head over to Disneyland for the day. It was awesome, we got up really early and was able to get into the park by 10:30am, we spent some of the morning in California Adventure and then hopped over to Disneyland park for the rest of the day and into the night. We did spend the night and headed back to Las Vegas for the rest of our stay there. On the flip side it was just DH and I so it was very doable, but then again even if the kids were with us, I don't think we would hesitate to do it again.
Great that sounds amazing. It's just me and my DH so we only have ourselves to worry about and jet lag sometimes helps because we'll be up early. I'll have to see if I can squeeze a day into our plans. Thanks

You're just taking a year off -- it's not like you're never going to go again -- so you can still plan for your next Disney trip. Make lists of your must-do attractions, where you want to eat, etc. Create a countdown showing when you can book your hotel or package, when you can make ADRs, when you can make FP+ reservations.

And enjoy yourself on your upcoming trip! It doesn't have to be Disney to be vacation. ;)

Go to the Grand Canyon, go to Yellowstone, go to see Mount Rushmore, visit the Rockies, loads of great stuff to see in the USA. Theme parks are great, but you are really short changing yourself and family if you dont do other stuff.

I spend my "down time" still researching Disney. Once you have your knowledge base you need to keep it up! Imagine all the people that took a year or two off when transition to FP+ was going on. If they didn't keep up with the boards, blogs, etc, they had a more stressful time learning what was new. Regardless if when/if I have a Disney trip planed I'm always doing my Disney "work". It helps pass the time between trips, no matter if it's five months or five years between trips.

I can't really make you feel better right now, but I had to take 1.5 years off last year prior to my Nov. trip and I will say I now enjoy Disney more after the break. I'm in no mood for a break any time soon but once in a while I think it is a good thing and lets you enjoy the park even more when you do get back.

But....we booked a Royal Caribbean cruise for this year and are going to tour the lakes around Michigan next year. Looking forward to those a lot, but there is no real "planning" :p involved like for WDW - and I miss it! (that's why I still read these planning boards)

Who knows though...maybe I'll get hooked on cruising....

Oh boy, if you think there's no planning to cruising, you are missing out! Try the boards at Cruisecritic.com. They are as thorough as the DisBoards and you will have a ton of fun getting ready for your cruise. And yes, cruising can be addictive!! Enjoy.

This has been it for us too. We've recently switched to every other year so I kind of just stay away from the boards until about 9 months from the trip.

We are currently taking a year off, senior year and college search for d made planning a trip difficult. But now that is over, looking forward to a vacation at the poly before school starts and for husband and I, food and wine for our 25th anniversary. I agree, absence does make the heart grow fonder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter