Advice needed - Scooter and a double stroller

Autumnfire

First Timer
About a week after I booked out trip for November I started getting back pain. Now I'm in terrible pain after 15 minutes of walking (confirmed herniated L4 disk, my ligament in my back is off the bone and I'll be seeing a Neuro Surgeon on wed). I think it's very likely that I'll require something to help me get around and I'm at a bit of a loss as far as where to look.

I'm also wondering if anyone else needed to use a scooter or a wheelchair at Disney. How did you find it overall? I can walk mind you just not long distances, sitting immediately relieves the pain.

I'm also worried about the logistics of it given we planned to bring a double stroller for our kids (A will be 3 and D will be 8 months at the time of the trip). I was so excited to go, now I'm worried that I'll be a huge limiter to my entire family and it has me just feeling down
yiOX44LhXBIG7PiwP3xg.gif

If walking long distances causes you pain, definitely rent a scooter. They are not difficult to drive and you can practice ahead of time before you take it to a busy area. Lots and lots of people use scooters at Disney, so don't worry about standing out.

You'll hear this from pretty much everyone -- if you're in pain, that will limit your trip infinitely more than using a scooter will! There's really nothing at all about having one that's inconvenient. It will speed You up, not slow you down. You don't need to take it into the ride queues unless you want to, you can just park it outside the ride and walk in normally, and only use it to get around the park. All I can think of is that it might be difficult to load it into the car if you already have a stroller, or if you're staying on property sometimes you have to wait an extra 10 minutes for a bus when it's crowded because only 2 scooters will fit on each bus.

I've been using my scooter at Disney for a decade, as have many people here. I wouldn't be able to go without it! We're happy to answer any questions or concerns you have about using one, and there are no stupid questions.

do you have another adult that is going with you so someone can push the stroller

Well, November is a slower season, unless it is Thanksgiving week. That should help a bit with the crowds. Be mindful of the waits in the queues. A 10-20 minutes might be fine, but I can tell you from experience that the wait between 30 and 40 minutes will just about do you in. I have a cyst on my L4, arthritis in my back and a herniated disc (repaired) C6. Sometimes, when a line surprises me with a longer than expected wait, you will find me squatting, or bending over, hanging me arms down, just to stop the compression on my spine. I have used the scooters in the past on a couple of occasions and they were a godsend. I could enjoy the world showcase, instead of trudging around the lake, looking desperately for an unoccupied bench (now fewer and farther in between).

I broke my leg 2 weeks before a vacation with DH and 3 kids ages 8, 6 and 10 months. We managed quite well with a stroller and me in a rented scooter from Apple. It was very easy in the parks, the only difficulty was getting on and off buses. The good news is that Disney transportation is excellent with helping you on and off. The only bad news is that some other guests seem bitter and annoyed that you and your family get to board first. But honestly, I thought, it's my husband and 3 little kids they needed space with me too. In terms of ride line ups, I sometimes had to transfer to a wheelchair and my husband pushed me while I held the baby or if it was a ride the baby couldn't go on then my husband stayed off and a cast member would push me in line since my 6 and 8 year olds were too small. It is very easy to get around, don't be afraid at all. Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter