• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adult Disney Haters

I occasionally hear it from friends - not in a truly mean or insulting way, but just more of a 'why do you go to Disney as a single adult? What's the draw?'. So I've actually taken the opportunity to educate quite a few friends by inviting them along. Over the years, I've converted a co-worker, and three friends who hadn't been to Disney since they were kids and thought it was all about rides and kiddies. We stayed at nice resorts, we slept in, took boat transportation, hit the good restaurants, I gave them some Disney inside information on theming and design in the parks and how things were researched and built, various Easter eggs found throughout, etc, we visited the bars and various resorts, and stayed to park close most nights. After that trip, they understood that Disney can be a draw for adults too - and ALL of them have returned multiple times since, both with and without me.
The best thing about it is that the few friends who haven't taken me up on the offer are quiet about it now - because they're no longer just asking me why I would want to go to Disney as an adult, but 4-5 other friends who are now 'on my side'. :)
So many people's experiences with Disney are going as a kid or with kids, and they don't realize the parks are totally different going as an adult. My mom recently went on her first trip without kids and wants to go back. We might even convert my dad soon.

Probably why I don't belong to any of those 'social media' sites. Who cares what someone else thinks about where you like to go on vacation? You don't need anyone else's permission/approval for such things. Social media tends to be a place for rude/insensitive people to talk down to others. Probably many of them are timid people in real life and being anonymous on the internet encourages their obnoxious behavior. Ignore them and do whatever it is you enjoying doing for a vacation.

My co-workers, neighbors, family and friends have long questioned why we return to WDW. I finally had my sisters go on a girls trip to WDW and they had so much fun they finally got it but they felt it was too expensive to repeat. LOL When I worked I would just say I was going to Florida. It seems to us that most the naysayers are concerned about the expense and it irritates them that we're willing to spend the $$ to visit. Yes, it is expensive but as long as we can afford it we will continue to do so.

The people who think WDW is for kids only don't experience WDW as we do. We certainly do not spend major time in the parks but when we say that people get even more irritated because we're wasting our ticket $. LMAO

We HAVE kids and friends and family still refer to us as "The Disney Fans", it's not meant as a compliment. It's like "ew you play video games, etc.". They are all polite about it, but the undertone is there.

One comment I remember from an evening get together...everyone was joking what their husbands would be like without their wives and I would be, "One of those weird Disney people.". This is what mainstream society thinks about anyone who doesn't go to Disney just once or twice in a lifetime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter