• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adult Disney Haters

WGCFV

Mouseketeer
I have been going to Disney world since 1974, when I was as a young kid. We have had many wonderful trips over the past 25 years with our children. Now with the children basically grown, my wife and I still enjoy going to WDW. However, as of late I have been attacked by family members and social media for being a Disney fan, starting to really upset me. Been called a pedo on Twitter and scorned by family members. I know I am not alone, but why do people have to question what brings others joy. apologies I got some nasty Twitter messages today, and just put me in a mood so wanted to vent 😟

Twitter is not a good space, so that's not surprising. But what is surprising is your family members not supporting you. It doesn't matter if it's Disney or something else, if they like it or not, family should support you for doing something that makes you happy so long as you're not hurting anyone.

Besides, I think they're the strange ones. There are lots of people who love Disney/theme parks/animation, it's not made simply for kids. It's all made for everyone to enjoy. Walt himself would get angry when someone would call his films "children's movies," he clearly did not see it that way.

Reminds me of this thread on Reddit recently. A woman in her 50s has one sister who loves Disney and travel to Disney. She thinks her sister should stop/reduce her trips, because it's not normal, according to her and her other family members.

She was branded the a**hole. by the community.

With people who do not understand it, it's best to ignore them.

I wish everybody would spend their time worrying about themselves and not judging what other people choose to enjoy!

OP, I am sorry you are being chastised for something that brings you joy. Don't lose that because of opinionated, ignorant people.

I don’t know why anyone thinks it’s their business. But gosh people are rude and opinionated. This is why I don’t post my business on social media. I don’t need others opinions. That’s my recommendation- don’t post about it and enjoy life.

It is amazing just how insensitive and controlling some people can be. 50? Really? I will be 74 in less than a month and if it weren't for the newly adopted Disney policy of sucking every nickel out of ones pocket, I'd still be going.

Except for one of the last 20 trips I have taken there they have all been solo. My wife is gone, my children have grown and are married but I still love the feeling of youth that it has given me ever since my first family visit in 1983. Those that call people pedophiles are the ones with those thoughts, not the rest of us.

I'm saddened now because financially I am unable to go to the place that made me feel so good for so many years. Believe me when I tell you, as you get older, you really need to revisit your youth now and then by letting your inner child out to play.

Last edited:

It's simply a cultural bias we have in the United States. We are taught growing up to basically take life too seriously and never have any fun. We aren't the only country with theme parks or even Disney parks(or the only country with Universal parks either). However, we do seem to be the only country that I know of where we take adulting so seriously that nobody is allowed to have fun. I, for one, enjoy my park time and enjoy my life. I also am someone who has an artistic career but a also a terrifyingly serious survival career I am training for. You are not a pedo for enjoying Disney. If that were the case, every off duty L.A. and Anaheim cop that visits Disneyland in their down time would be a criminal and be unable to work. That implication is completely ridiculous, and I am sorry some ignorant troll cannot tell that.

People are unfortunately always going to be miserable, especially on the internet. I had more fun last week at Disneyland than they probably have in their entire lives.

As for the pedo comment specifically, Disney has said they are against some recent legislation in Florida, leading a loud group of people to call the company "groomers" and "pedos". I don't want to bring it here, but you can read the news about it.

What I tell people is:
Whoever pays the piper calls the music.
:rockband:
:charac2:
:mic:
:music:
If your family wants you to go on a vacation and they are willing to pay for it, go and have a great time on them. If you are paying for the trip you go where and when you choose to go.

Big raspberry to all the haters. I am 62, single, no kids and still go twice a year. Disney is not just a happy place for me, but a safe place. Going solo I am concerned about travelling to some places, but not WDW.

Now I might think less of individuals that waste their life’s online (who me) but I dont visit anything that is not Disney or Universal theme park related Plus airlines &hotels to book my theme park trips!
If that makes us bad I don’t want to be good !

You're welcome to use one of my favorite lines on anyone who criticizes your enjoyment of Disney, "If you can't say something nice, say nothing." Short version: "Nice or nothing."

Or for repeat offenders, "When I want your opinion, I'll squeeze your head."

I’m a 48 year old guy who loves Disney and if other people don’t like it, they can (censored).

You do you.

I can't be a pedo, I loathe kids. And teens. Especially teens. :rotfl:
Seriously though, the groomer argument is so old and tired that when someone says it, they get a yawn from me. Just block and move on.

I have been going to Disney world since 1974, when I was as a young kid. We have had many wonderful trips over the past 25 years with our children. Now with the children basically grown, my wife and I still enjoy going to WDW. However, as of late I have been attacked by family members and social media for being a Disney fan, starting to really upset me. Been called a pedo on Twitter and scorned by family members. I know I am not alone, but why do people have to question what brings others joy. apologies I got some nasty Twitter messages today, and just put me in a mood so wanted to vent 😟
You are entitled to call them reptiloids :)

That would not be an insult to them, it would be a statement of fact. They just have a more developed ancient reptilian brain that knows nothing about love. If you have heard, reptiles eat their own eggs.

And their cerebral cortex is not developed, so they cannot rejoice in your happiness.

Spit on them and go be happy - you are entitled to it :)

I occasionally hear it from friends - not in a truly mean or insulting way, but just more of a 'why do you go to Disney as a single adult? What's the draw?'. So I've actually taken the opportunity to educate quite a few friends by inviting them along. Over the years, I've converted a co-worker, and three friends who hadn't been to Disney since they were kids and thought it was all about rides and kiddies. We stayed at nice resorts, we slept in, took boat transportation, hit the good restaurants, I gave them some Disney inside information on theming and design in the parks and how things were researched and built, various Easter eggs found throughout, etc, we visited the bars and various resorts, and stayed to park close most nights. After that trip, they understood that Disney can be a draw for adults too - and ALL of them have returned multiple times since, both with and without me.
The best thing about it is that the few friends who haven't taken me up on the offer are quiet about it now - because they're no longer just asking me why I would want to go to Disney as an adult, but 4-5 other friends who are now 'on my side'. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter