• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Abu's AWESOME August 2015 - W.I.S.H. Weight Loss Challenge! Any & All Welcome to Join!

OF COURSE I will do that for you. Just send me a virtual cake pop and we're set! We haven't taken a ride on Pirates in about 2 months so I think we're due. I'll make sure to walk from the Mickey 'N Friends structure to Pirates so I can get a ride as part of my goal :)

Close-Up-of-Disneyland-Mickey-Mouse-Cake-Pop.jpg

One delicious 60th anniversary cake pop coming right up!

Keep-Calm-Its-Already-Wednesday.png

(I have got to figure out an easy way to resize these images! I don't know why they post so HUGE. I'll work on that tonight. Sorry everyone!)

Good morning!!
It's our first WOOOOOHOOOOOO WEDNESDAY of August!
I, for one, am thrilled it's Wednesday, because it means Friday is THAT MUCH CLOSER! and I am a very big fan of Fridays.

QOTD FOR AUGUST 5, 2015:
What's making you WOOHOO today?
Did you get up and get to work on time? Wake up feeling like a superstar? Have something exciting planned for today? I know some people have a preliminary weigh-in today - have your numbers changed any? Or maybe your outfit is SUPER cute or your hair did that flippy thing you love on the first try this morning.
ANYTHING can be a WOOHOO!

So let's hear it!

My woohoo is that the pair of Chacos I ordered for our Disney trip are supposed to be delivered today! I can't wait. 1) I LOVE getting things delivered or in the mail. Love it. I'm a total online shopping junkie just because I love having presents waiting when I get home. LOL. And 2) None of the stores in town carry Chacos in a wide size, and while the regular sizes fit fine, I just had a feeling that the wides would fit better, so I went out on a limb and ordered them. I've never had a pair of Chacos before! Plus, the Chaco website didn't have any 9W in the style I wanted, so I thought I was going to have to custom order them (and pay $130 because they were custom! and if they didn't fit, I was stuck with them - no returns on custom orders...) - but I found this pair on Amazon and they were running a sale at the time, so I got them for $70 instead!! WOOHOOO! So I'll be racing home after work to get them. Fingers crossed that they fit!

Do you have any visual motivators? Do you take before-during-after photos of your weight loss journey?

Yep! I have a picture from my 2012 Disney trip when I was my goal weight, as my desktop background at home. Motivation that I've done it before and definitely want to do it again!

DH has the day off work! So when I get home and 5:30 he'll be there waiting for me instead of me waiting on him for another 2.5 hours. AND I signed up for WW this morning per my doctor's instructions. It feels like a new chapter on my weight loss journey which is always a cause to woohoo!!

I love this topic for today and can't wait to see what everyone else is happy about!

For me... while I'm still on cloud 9 for my milestone weigh-in last night, I'm woohoo'ing because we signed the lease for our new apartment this morning and only have 30 days until we move! The movers are coming the same day we are running the Disneyland 5K so we will be very active and busy Labor Day Weekend. :yay:

I am in for the month of Aug.. I have been following along for a few months but couldn't / didn't want to commit.. well I am committing .. My Goal for Aug is to cut out the Carbs.. My plan is Atkins.. I know this is what works for my body and I just need to do it or I'll find myself having to be on more meds for my type 2 diabetes and that isn't what I want, next Dr appt is 9/2.. I will keep a daily carb points food journal which I have found successful in the past and it's got to be cold turkey no weaning myself down.. No bread, rice, pasta, crackers, chips, rolls, or fruit.. I will add those in later but for Aug they are out! I see lots of Eggs, lettuce roll ups, meat and veggies in my future..
Best of luck to everyone this month!!!
Thanks for hosting JacknSally..
Michelle
I know several people who are on Atkins. My question for you....since you have used this method with success in the past...is this.....How do you know how many carbs to introduce back into the diet? How do you actually calculate and what do you reintroduce? I use the fitness pal myself and it is a calorie based diet with percentages for carbs, fats and protein....so it teaches you the kinds of foods you can eat in a day....so I'm curious how Atkins does this. Thanks.

I'm anticipating a busy weekend (hopefully it's a busy and productive weekend! My to-do list is miles long...) so I'm going to answer the QOTW for myself a day early. :)

My goal that I will track for August:
I am going to do whatever it takes to lose 7lbs by the end of August! This will put me in a place I haven't been in a couple of years at least... BELOW THE 200LB MARK! And then I will cry tears of immense joy, hahaha.

My plan for hitting my goal:
No cheats in August! I'm going to stick to my low-carb-high-protein diet, because it seems to be working for me, at least when I really keep to it. Being 100% honest, I'll be budgeting in one "lenient" meal a week - otherwise I'll go crazy and have a meltdown and just eat everything in sight! But even on my lenient meal, I'll keep things pretty well under control. No smorgasbord, haha! I'm also going to do something I've been saying I would do every single week - I'm going to get back on track with my walking and weights. I know, I know... But I'm going to sit down this weekend (hopefully tonight) and make a firm daily schedule, including scheduling my walking at a time that I reasonably know I will do it, so that I am even more likely to get it done. It's completely unrealistic for me to schedule my walks at 4:30am, because I'm just setting myself up for disaster. I will come up with a BILLION reasons why it's ok to put it off til later, and then I sleep until right before I need to leave for work. But if I schedule my walks for 8pm, I'm WAY more likely to actually do them.

I'm off to do some yardwork as it's relatively cool today (for the first time in 3 weeks, the temperature outside and the heat index are the same number!), but I will definitely be in and out this weekend, checking on everyone's goals and plans! I'm so excited!!! I sure hope you all are, too!
Great plan! Good for you setting realistic times to exercise. You have inspired me to make a schedule too. Thanks.

Mornin' y'all!

Well... I'm gonna have to think of a new goal for this month. As of this morning, I'm wearing a boot on my left foot trying to get the plantar fasciitis to heal so... while "as needed" walking is fine, I won't be doing any "exercise" walking. I'm thinking I'll be getting less than half the daily steps I was last month.

I did a pitiful job of keeping up with my progress on my goals for the last week of July. I was way ahead of my goals at the previous check-in so, I know I achieved them but, I just plain lost interest so, I slacked off both walking and water consumption. I also carbed-out for a few days, totally blowing it on the SB plan.

So, gotta get back up on the horse. Or wagon. Or whatever.

DH and I have a trip to Las Vegas planned at the end of this month. So, I guess my overall goal is to behave as healthfully as possible for the next few weeks so that I'll be able to enjoy myself more while we celebrate my birthday and our anniversary.

Now, I just need to set an individual goal (or a few) for myself that will equate to "behaving as healthfully as possible"...
Sorry about your plantars.....I was down for almost a year with it. I didn't think it would ever heal. But it did. I do have special made inserts for my shoes. A friend of mine had it as well and she buys new shoes every three mos. to make sure she is getting ample support....she said she never wants to go through it again! So stay strong....it's hard to get the exercise you need when you have an injury. I have knee issues now....getting somewhat better....I had a series of three shots and it helps a bit but walking long distances is out. Get on that wagon....it goes to Disney!

I know several people who are on Atkins. My question for you....since you have used this method with success in the past...is this.....How do you know how many carbs to introduce back into the diet? How do you actually calculate and what do you reintroduce? I use the fitness pal myself and it is a calorie based diet with percentages for carbs, fats and protein....so it teaches you the kinds of foods you can eat in a day....so I'm curious how Atkins does this. Thanks.

well they have a phases to follow on adding stuff back in and you experiment with trial and error on if it makes you gain weight or stay the same .. so you start with phase 1 which is 20 or less net carbs mostly from veggies then after you 2 weeks you can start to add back in for phase 2.

During Phase 2, you add higher carb foods back into your diet – 5 daily Net Carbs per week. You can move beyond vegetables to other foods, such as nuts, seeds and berries. Although you will be eating primarily natural, unprocessed foods, you will find an increasing number of convenience foods – choices that help even busy people stay on track during weight loss.. Like nuts, seeds, some dairy, some fruits - berries mostly..

Phase 3 is fine tuning You're probably now just 10 pounds from your goal weight, which you'll achieve in Phase 3. This phase is designed for fine-tuning your diet so you can eventually focus on maintaining your weight loss . In Phase 3, you will gradually see how much you can raise your daily Net Carb intake and maintain weight loss while exploring the final three rungs of the Carb Ladder.

Phase 4 is lifetime goal weight.

I recommend going to the free Atkins website it will list the phase and all acceptable foods..

well they have a phases to follow on adding stuff back in and you experiment with trial and error on if it makes you gain weight or stay the same .. so you start with phase 1 which is 20 or less net carbs mostly from veggies then after you 2 weeks you can start to add back in for phase 2.

During Phase 2, you add higher carb foods back into your diet – 5 daily Net Carbs per week. You can move beyond vegetables to other foods, such as nuts, seeds and berries. Although you will be eating primarily natural, unprocessed foods, you will find an increasing number of convenience foods – choices that help even busy people stay on track during weight loss.. Like nuts, seeds, some dairy, some fruits - berries mostly..

Phase 3 is fine tuning You're probably now just 10 pounds from your goal weight, which you'll achieve in Phase 3. This phase is designed for fine-tuning your diet so you can eventually focus on maintaining your weight loss . In Phase 3, you will gradually see how much you can raise your daily Net Carb intake and maintain weight loss while exploring the final three rungs of the Carb Ladder.

Phase 4 is lifetime goal weight.

I recommend going to the free Atkins website it will list the phase and all acceptable foods..
Thanks for all the details. What did you find you could eat....daily....to maintain? For instance. I can eat one serving of whole grain a day, either in a bowl of oatmeal or a slice of bread, or a potato...but that's it for whole grain. I can eat all the veges I want. I can eat one to two servings of dairy. I'm just curious. Thanks.

Hi everyone. Happy Wednesday! I just got back from vacation. I only lost 3.2 pounds for the month of July.....it seems I'm at a plateau right now, which happens....but if I look at what I've done differently it's this....I stopped tracking my food! It is such a slippery slope! Your portion sizes get a little bit bigger when you stop measuring....because you are convinced you know how much is in a tblsp or a cup. You add a few extra snack items during the day, because you know they are healthy....but you don't track the points or calories....you just think you are in the zone. So, for August my goal is to loose five pounds. I am going to track every day. I did join the gym this week and did my first workout. I'm pretty achy already but will persevere. I'm starting slow, low weights, I have lots of pain issues so don't want to overdo. I want to build up my muscles to support my neck, back and knees so I can actually walk for my Disney trip at Thanksgiving. So to sum it up....loose five pounds, track my food, stick with my gym program.
For my whoohoo Wednesday....My old clothes, which were my skinny clothes....are all too big! I need a belt with every pair of pants and they are all loose! I'm very proud of my achievements so far, so just because I only lost 3 pounds in July....I want to make sure I realize just how much progress I really have made since last November! Sometimes you get sucked into that place where you think....no matter how much weight I've lost, I never think I look good. I do not want to go there! So for everyone who has lost....be proud of your progress. A healthy you....is the best you...you can be!

Thanks for all the details. What did you find you could eat....daily....to maintain? For instance. I can eat one serving of whole grain a day, either in a bowl of oatmeal or a slice of bread, or a potato...but that's it for whole grain. I can eat all the veges I want. I can eat one to two servings of dairy. I'm just curious. Thanks.

Grains don't come back until you get to phase 3

for me I have type 2 diabetes so when I am on Atkins I do not eat any grain - it makes me gain, it makes me crave sugar and it makes my blood sugars crazy - same with most fruit .. I am lactose intolerant so I only eat limited cheese and a little yogurt.. for me I mostly eat veggies - hot and cold, meats, eggs, atkins products - like meals and shakes, treats when I am past phase 1, and nuts along with a very few berries each week! and when I am on it, I miss bread, pasta, rice, and fruit like watermelon and grapfruit which makes it hard for me to stick with..

a day looks like this
Breakfast - 1 or 2 liquid eggs scrambled with onions a sprinkle of cheddar and some type of breakfast meat (sausage, bacon, or ham)
snack - atkins shake
Lunch - 4 slice of ham, 2 slices of American cheese 4 gerkin sugar free pickles and mayo rolled up, a baggie of cut of veggies (cukes, celery 2 cherry toms and 4 baby carrots) or a tossed salad with Italian dressing (only 2 carbs or less) 1 piece of SF chocolate
snack - 1/4 cup of nuts if needed
Dinner - 6 oz of cooked meat (beef, pork, chicken, shrimp or fish - NO breading) 1/2 c mashed cauliflower mixed with parm cheese and garlic salt to taste, and 1c green beans - fresh or canned.

I will sometime splurge on 1/2 c of Ice Cream - Carb Smart made by Bryers 4 carb in the summer or sometimes I just freeze an Atkins shake for a few hours then when I take it out and shake it up it's like a slushie / milkshake

Grains don't come back until you get to phase 3

for me I have type 2 diabetes so when I am on Atkins I do not eat any grain - it makes me gain, it makes me crave sugar and it makes my blood sugars crazy - same with most fruit .. I am lactose intolerant so I only eat limited cheese and a little yogurt.. for me I mostly eat veggies - hot and cold, meats, eggs, atkins products - like meals and shakes, treats when I am past phase 1, and nuts along with a very few berries each week! and when I am on it, I miss bread, pasta, rice, and fruit like watermelon and grapfruit which makes it hard for me to stick with..

a day looks like this
Breakfast - 1 or 2 liquid eggs scrambled with onions a sprinkle of cheddar and some type of breakfast meat (sausage, bacon, or ham)
snack - atkins shake
Lunch - 4 slice of ham, 2 slices of American cheese 4 gerkin sugar free pickles and mayo rolled up, a baggie of cut of veggies (cukes, celery 2 cherry toms and 4 baby carrots) or a tossed salad with Italian dressing (only 2 carbs or less) 1 piece of SF chocolate
snack - 1/4 cup of nuts if needed
Dinner - 6 oz of cooked meat (beef, pork, chicken, shrimp or fish - NO breading) 1/2 c mashed cauliflower mixed with parm cheese and garlic salt to taste, and 1c green beans - fresh or canned.

I will sometime splurge on 1/2 c of Ice Cream - Carb Smart made by Bryers 4 carb in the summer or sometimes I just freeze an Atkins shake for a few hours then when I take it out and shake it up it's like a slushie / milkshake
Wow! Sounds good. Stick with it! I like the ice cream treats too!

Here is my fridge for the week. I like organizing and making as many things ahead as I can. I just did up a bunch of celery with almond butter and raisins....all measured for exact calories! I've also tried switching most things to glass containers. It looks prettier....and makes eating more of a delight!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 8

I finished pretty much my entire to-do list by 4:30 PM! (the only thing left to do is catch up on my DIS time ... which I'm currently in the middle of doing). Considering the fact that at 12:45 it looked like there was no end in sight ... this is definitely a woohoo!

DH has the day off work! So when I get home and 5:30 he'll be there waiting for me instead of me waiting on him for another 2.5 hours. AND I signed up for WW this morning per my doctor's instructions. It feels like a new chapter on my weight loss journey which is always a cause to woohoo!!

Double woohoos are about 4 times better than one woohoo! Yay!

For me... while I'm still on cloud 9 for my milestone weigh-in last night, I'm woohoo'ing because we signed the lease for our new apartment this morning and only have 30 days until we move! The movers are coming the same day we are running the Disneyland 5K so we will be very active and busy Labor Day Weekend. :yay:

That's a great woohoo!
I heard the 5K medals for this year are pretty terrible, so if you don't want it, I'd be glad to take it off your hands :rotfl:
(In all seriousness ... I love that medallion, it's so cute!!)

Hi everyone. Happy Wednesday! I just got back from vacation. I only lost 3.2 pounds for the month of July.....it seems I'm at a plateau right now, which happens....but if I look at what I've done differently it's this....I stopped tracking my food! It is such a slippery slope! Your portion sizes get a little bit bigger when you stop measuring....because you are convinced you know how much is in a tblsp or a cup. You add a few extra snack items during the day, because you know they are healthy....but you don't track the points or calories....you just think you are in the zone. So, for August my goal is to loose five pounds. I am going to track every day. I did join the gym this week and did my first workout. I'm pretty achy already but will persevere. I'm starting slow, low weights, I have lots of pain issues so don't want to overdo. I want to build up my muscles to support my neck, back and knees so I can actually walk for my Disney trip at Thanksgiving. So to sum it up....loose five pounds, track my food, stick with my gym program.

Yeah, stopping tracking can be a pretty slippery slope. But it sounds like you're determined to get back on track, and I know that if you work hard you can do it!

For my whoohoo Wednesday....My old clothes, which were my skinny clothes....are all too big!

That's a pretty awesome woohoo! Plus, shopping for new clothes is fun! You are going to look awesome in all of your new skinny clothes!

I'm kind of having the opposite of a woohoo day today. But very unexpectedly a good friend I haven't seen for ages called and asked to go to lunch today. That was pretty woohoo!

That is definitely a woohoo ... and I hope the rest of your day got more woohoo too!

Here is my fridge for the week. I like organizing and making as many things ahead as I can. I just did up a bunch of celery with almond butter and raisins....all measured for exact calories! I've also tried switching most things to glass containers. It looks prettier....and makes eating more of a delight!

I love your fridge...

That's a great woohoo!
I heard the 5K medals for this year are pretty terrible, so if you don't want it, I'd be glad to take it off your hands :rotfl:
(In all seriousness ... I love that medallion, it's so cute!!)

I saw the pic and they're super cute - the Fab 5 with the "10th Anniversary" banner at the top. I know it's plastic and not a "real" medal, but we're going to run this as a baseline and use the Avengers 5K to track our progress so we can run the Tink 10K in May. I'm not a runner but I figure why not challenge myself to do something out of my comfort zone? I have the one from 2009 somewhere - it's somewhere in a box and I hope to find it when I move :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter