A Whole New SOLO World: A July 2015 WDW TR - My 1st! (complete)

Between my July trip and my December trip, it will have already saved me money versus purchasing tickets. I have a Feb trip planned too so that will definitely make it even MORE worth it. And I might try to figure out a trip for the 24 hour event next year! That's a LOT, I know....but I want even more. SO GREEDY! Such an expensive thing to be obsessed with! :)

In 2013 I upgraded my May package tickets on my trip with my aunt to an AP & loved it. Then I went back with DH in October & got TIW which saved us tons on TS meals. Then went back in December with my sister & nephew! I called this year my magical year!!! It was an expensive year though....

I'm really enjoying your trip report. I will be going on a solo in January and I can't wait. Looking forward to more.

Thanks so much!! I'm definitely ready for my December one now!!! Hopefully will get the last 3 days posted this week!

I have just found your trip report. It's great. This is a great way to build the excitement for my solo trip in late October. Thanks.

Thank you so much! I so wish I were going this fall. My favorite time there. Have a blast!

Wow! You sure packed a lot into your days. The Orlando Eye sounds like a must-do. I was sorry to hear about the missing wallet experience. My heart dropped; so what might have happened to me too. I was glad you found the little key before doing too much back-tracking. Great report!

I tried to get my money's worth out of the trip for sure! Ha. And yes, I would recommend the Eye for sure. I will definitely be doing it again!

Yes that was not the best moment of the trip! My mind was racing with what I was going to do for the rest of my trip. But luckily it worked out fairly quickly!!

I am LOVING your TR, girl! I always enjoy reading solo TRs the most, probably because I enjoy taking solo trips the most! So much FUN!!!
Thank you SO much! Love all the great feedback people are giving me. And yes I seem to be mostly interested in the solo's as well. I'm about to start posting Day 7!! :)

Day 7: Friday, July 24th

Part 1

Again, I woke up sad. This would be my last day waking up in Orlando. The week had passed by so quickly, as always tends to happen on great vacations. That night I would be going to sleep in Bradenton, FL, just south of Tampa. One of my best friends moved there in June, and I would be spending the weekend with her and her family. So while I was sad that my time in Orlando was almost over, I was very excited to get to spend time with a dear friend.

So luckily I still had plans for a little more Disney Parks fun before I left that afternoon. I again had the pretty decent breakfast at the Fairfield Inn, loaded up the car and got out of there pretty early. Time for the only park I hadn’t visited yet…Animal Kingdom!

IMG_7377.JPG

IMG_7378.JPG

Let me begin with this. Prior to this trip, I had only spent about 4 hours at Animal Kingdom. Ever. My previous travel companion on those 2013 trips, wasn’t a huge fan of AK. And on our one long trip when we visited that park, it had been a long few days and that was the last park we visited. We were very tired. So last time we hit a few highlights and that was it. So because of that, AK has not been at the top of my priority list, mainly because I just don’t know the park that well. If it weren’t for having the AP, I wouldn’t have even gone there. However, I do want this to change. I want to get to know this park better and I plan to make that happen once I am down there for good. And this visit confirmed that…I had a great time!

So I had scheduled my 3 FP’s for that morning, all back to back to back.

First up, Kilimanjaro Safari. So I made my way to Africa.

IMG_7379.JPG

IMG_7380.JPG

IMG_7381.JPG

Who doesn’t love this? I certainly do. This was obviously only my 2nd time doing this, but it’s just so much fun. For that little bit of time, you do feel like you are off roaming around Africa, searching for exotic animals. It’s fun, informative, beautiful and so different from anything else Disney has. I love that they will be adding nighttime safari’s in the near future. How cool with that be??

Here are a some of my favorite pictures I got during this fun adventure.

IMG_7382.JPG

IMG_7383.JPG

It was a perfect day for this!

IMG_7384.JPG IMG_7385.JPG

Babies!!!! These guys were only a few months old.

IMG_7386.JPG

More Safari pics in Part 2....

Last edited:

Part 3

Next up was a big favorite of mine, Expedition Everest! SUCH a FUN and well-themed attraction! And you have some great views of all of WDW while you are on it as well.

IMG_7394.JPG

IMG_7395.JPG

IMG_7396.JPG

IMG_7430.JPG

IMG_7397.JPG

After this I grabbed a Mickey ice cream snack and was excited to see a Cast Member from a college near my hometown in Georgia! :) I grabbed a spot in the shade and people watched for awhile. I had some time to kill until my next fastpass.

There is so much construction going on at Animal Kingdom…to the point that it was always loud everywhere I went. Jackhammers and bulldozers and such. That was kind of annoying. I know they have a LOT going on there and will for awhile longer, so I get it. In the moment, I was just annoyed.

Anyway. So next up, Finding Nemo the Musical. First time doing this one. And while it was well-done and there were certain aspects of it I really enjoyed, overall…meh. Just didn’t leave thinking…”Oh my gosh that was so amazing”. That is how I felt about Festival of the Lion King. I was completely amazed by it the entire time and walked out saying how much I loved it and how awesome it was. So, while Finding Nemo was good, it’s not something I would have to see again. I would if someone I were with wanted to see it, as I did not dislike it, but I’m totally good with skipping it too. I did get a few decent pics during it though.

IMG_7398.JPG

IMG_7399.JPG

IMG_7400.JPG

IMG_7401.JPG

I walked around for awhile after that just exploring. Then I was hungry so I went in search of lunch. I wanted something quick and not too pricy, so I headed to Pizzafari. I had as small caesar salad cup and a small cheese pizza. It was pretty good! I got those 2 things and a soda for about $10. Not bad.

Time to go. I was taking my time leaving, taking some pictures. So of course it started completely pouring rain. I took shelter under the tree for a bit. During this time I witnessed a crazy family moment. I saw a young teenage girl sitting on a bench near me, in the rain, crying hysterically and she kept looking around in an odd way. I was about to go see if she was ok (because really, it was that bad), when a family started walking towards her. When she saw them she went nuts. She started screaming at them. And I really mean screaming. I think it was English but I really couldn’t tell. The Dad looked completely exasperated. He was looking back at the Mom and she just looked like she had no clue what to do. The other 2 kids were standing there staring at their sister like she was an alien from another planet. It was SO BIZARRE! She finally walked away with them, but she was screaming and jumping and pushing her Dad as they walked. Whew.

I swear if my hypothetical future child ever pitches a fit like that, especially in the middle of a Walt Disney World family vacation….oh my. It will not be pretty.

Anyway. A few more AK pics will be in Part 4!!! :)

Part 4

More AK pics...

IMG_7404.JPG

IMG_7405.JPG

IMG_7406.JPG IMG_7407.JPG IMG_7408.JPG IMG_7409.JPG

IMG_7410.JPG

I got on the tram back to the car and was sitting behind a girl wearing an Alabama jacket. Turns out she is a student at UA who is doing the college program! I had a great conversation with her and her friend (who was visiting from AL). She told me all about her experience working there and how Orlando had been and she also told me she is planning to move down there after she graduates from UA next year. So fun to talk to fellow Alabamians!

I got to the car and it hit me that it was time to leave property. WHY IS IT SO HARD TO LEAVE WALT DISNEY WORLD? Even knowing that I would for sure be back in December and that I would likely be MOVING there, it was still so sad to leave!

But I really needed to check out some more apartment complexes and areas. So away I went. See ya real soon Mickey! (91 days from now to be exact!)

IMG_7411.JPG

Love always looking for this...makes me smile.

IMG_7412.JPG

Some non-Disney fun to come in Part 5!

Part 5

One area that has really interested me for a long time now is Celebration. I had been there on a couple of the 2013 trips and fell in love with this cute little area. If you’ve been there, then you know what I mean. They have several apartments around there, so I drove through each of them, took pictures and even stopped at a couple of them for tours and more information. I was really happy with what I saw and the area is beautiful. It’s pretty pricey though. I think I might be able to make it work in that area, but I’m just not sure. I’m going to have to think about it a lot more and check out more places over the next year! It would be amazing to be SO CLOSE to WDW though.

IMG_7413.JPG

IMG_7414.JPG

IMG_7415.JPG

While there I had to stop in the Woof Gang Bakery. I visited this little shop (which carries tons of products for dogs…treats, food, collars, supplies…you name it) once before and got my dog, Izzy, some fun toys and treats that she loved. I had also gotten her a Minnie collar. (She didn’t care one bit about the collar, but I liked it…haha.) So I wanted to go back to this cute store again. This time I loved that they had a little doggie treat bar! Kind of like the yogurt shops that are everywhere now, you could get a bag and get what you wanted and pay by the ounce! Such a cute idea. And luckily for Izzy, they were all allergy friendly. (Poor dog has food allergies…and I just recently found treats that work for her…but I was excited to be able to give her some fun options.) So after I got some treats and a fun new toy for her, I decided it was time for an afternoon treat for myself. Kilwin’s is also in downtown Celebration. So very YUM! Ice cream, chocolates, fudge…you name it, they have it. I got an apple covered in caramel AND dark chocolate AND sea salt. So. Good.

Pretty sure this is what Dog Heaven looks like...

IMG_7416.JPG

IMG_7417.JPG

By now it was past time for me to go! So I said goodbye to Orlando and hit the road towards Tampa. I should have watched my time a little more closely, because unfortunately I was getting on I-4 right when traffic was starting to get bad. I was not surprised by this, but it was still a little annoying. So the trip to Bradenton was very long and slow. But I eventually got there and was SO EXCITED to see my friend! I hadn’t seen her in a few months. She and I are from the same hometown and went to school together from K-12. Her mom even taught me in 2nd grade! We went to different colleges, but we have only gotten closer as we have gotten older, especially in recent years. I even knew her husband before they met (and they started dating in high school.) They have 2 kids, who are completely precious. One was on a trip with grandparents while I was there, but their adorable 1.5 year old little girl was there for me to be entertained by.

For dinner we went to Pinchers Crab Shack in Lakewood Ranch. Very cool place. Great décor, old country music playing. Loved it. And my food was amazing.

IMG_7419.JPG

IMG_7420.JPG

This was SO GOOD! Crab claws in a parmesan garlic butter deal. Crazy good.

IMG_7421.JPG

For dessert we headed to Olaf’s Creamery for an ice cream cone. Yum!

That was it for this fun day! It was time for bed.

Day 8 would bring relaxation, the beach, alligators, weird birds and babysitting!

Last edited:
Love your updates!! I have to say, I'm a little envious of your ability to take selfies… I can get myself ok, but trying to add it something in the background (like the tree of life) is always difficult for me .. lol. But, with a solo trip coming up - I better figure that out and soon! lol.

That crab dish looks yummy!!!

Great updates!! I'd have to agree that AK is my least fav park. I love the Safari & enjoyed Yak & Yeti, but all in all the park is so spread out with little in between (I get that you need these spaces for animals) & it's always so hot with little outdoor sheltered areas. We usually do a half day max.

Are you moving into a new job in Orlando next year?

I finally started reading! I'm somewhere in day 1 in the WS :) You're not kidding about the parking at DTD. I know the DIS crew said it was bad, but you don't realize how bad that is until you try to brave it. Definitely want to try Raglan Road and the Boathouse on our next visit. OK...will read more as soon as I get a chance. Really great TR so far!!!

I finally started reading! I'm somewhere in day 1 in the WS :) You're not kidding about the parking at DTD. I know the DIS crew said it was bad, but you don't realize how bad that is until you try to brave it. Definitely want to try Raglan Road and the Boathouse on our next visit. OK...will read more as soon as I get a chance. Really great TR so far!!!

Yay! Welcome! I can die happy now that THE tigger is reading MY trip report. Hehe. Thanks for reading and THANKS for liking it!!!! :)

Great updates!! I'd have to agree that AK is my least fav park. I love the Safari & enjoyed Yak & Yeti, but all in all the park is so spread out with little in between (I get that you need these spaces for animals) & it's always so hot with little outdoor sheltered areas. We usually do a half day max.

Are you moving into a new job in Orlando next year?

Likely yes! I am going to try to work for WDW! At the end of the TR I will include a bit of a "what's next" for me. :)

Love your updates!! I have to say, I'm a little envious of your ability to take selfies… I can get myself ok, but trying to add it something in the background (like the tree of life) is always difficult for me .. lol. But, with a solo trip coming up - I better figure that out and soon! lol.

That crab dish looks yummy!!!
Hahaha! I have found that the more I take, the more likely I am to get at least once decent one. lol. One must be very patient to take good selfies. :)

It was!!! :)

I am a little late to the party for joining in, but I have been reading your TR. I would love to be able to do a solo trip, but right now it isn't in the cards. HOPEFULLY SOON!!!

I love all your pictures. The Tervis store could be a dangerous stop for me also. I have a Tervis problem...LOL!!!

Day 8: Saturday, July 25th

Part 1

Saturday was a much needed day of relaxing and doing nothing with friends! It rained a good bit of the day, which was fine with me.

IMG_5316.JPG

But I did get VERY excited when I saw a little alligator behind their house! I mean like I was ridiculously excited and thought it was so cool. Might not have thought it was too cool if he had gotten any closer, but from a distance, he was very cool. I see some of the DIS team people post about seeing alligators and even bears sometimes, but it doesn’t seem real. This definitely did!

IMG_7482.JPG

IMG_7481.JPG

I also saw something I had never seen before. A bird swim under water! I later found out it is called the Anhinga (or sometimes the snakebird, darter, American darter or water turkey). This bird was sitting on the edge of the water. He jumped in and went completely under the water and didn’t come back up. I kept looking thinking, did I just really see that? I kept looking for him and never saw him. Several minutes later I saw what I felt certain was a snake moving through the water. After a few minutes watching the “snake”, I realized it might be the bird, which seemed so weird! Sure enough it was…he got over to the edge and hopped out and spent a few minutes drying his wings out. I just never realized such a bird existed. You learn something new every day!

Here is a picture of one of these birds (not my own though). Just in case you are interested!

IMG_7493.JPG

That afternoon, it stopped raining and the sky began to clear up. So I begged for some beach time. :) We headed to Anna Maria Island. It was GORGEOUS! Completely gorgeous.

IMG_7483.JPG

IMG_7484.JPG

IMG_7485.JPG

IMG_7487.JPG

IMG_5429.JPG

IMG_7494.JPG

I have a serious obsession with the way light reflects on water. It completely mesmerizes me. Combine that with the glorious sound of the waves and I could sit there forever.

I know I went a little crazy with the filters on those beach pics, but I just loved what they did with the clouds. Made it look exactly like the moody weather day it had been.

This day only has 2 parts...so continue for some pictures from dinner...

Day 8: Saturday, July 25th

Part 2

We had a fun little bit of time on the beach and then walked up to the Sandbar restaurant to eat outside. This place had an amazing location and really good pina coladas! It was fun to just hang out, enjoy the view, the food and the great company.

IMG_5430.JPG

IMG_7489.JPG

IMG_7491.JPG

Don't think I have ever taken a picture of a salad before, but this one was just pretty. And so good. That's mango on it. Yum.

IMG_7490.JPG

IMG_7492.JPG

IMG_7488.JPG

I then basically forced my friends to go see a movie and have a little mini-date night, while they had access to free, excellent childcare. :D I knew they hadn’t had one since they moved down there, and since I AM Mary Poppins after all, I insisted they go spend some time together. I was just going to shower and pack up and get ready to head home early the next morning anyway, so why not! I had fun getting the little one ready for bed and they put her to bed and left. They had a great time and enjoyed their movie. :-)

I was ready get up early to hit the road so I could get home at a decent hour.

Only one more day to go…but it would include an unexpected twist that even I truly didn’t see coming. Stay tuned to see what happens on the 9th and final day of this epic trip!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter