• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A whirlwind trip to Sam's.......what to get while I'm there

marshallandcartersmo

DIS Veteran
We have a new Sam's Club in our area and my friend who has a membership has offered to bring me along on her next trip. I'm thrilled, that way I won't have to pay the fee they charge to non-members if I go with the free pass they are offering. (I'll just pay her back for my purchases)

She has said several times we won't have a long time to cruise and browse. She'll have her 4 y/o DS w/her who isn't the best shopper. And since beggers can't be choosers I want to have my list ready.................What should I look for??

I'm thinking I should check out prices on:
Paper Towels
Toliet Paper
Juice Boxes
Cokes
Beer

But honestly, I haven't been to a Sam's in 15 years so I don't know if I can get just as good deals at Walmart w/my coupons.........

find the clearance area - always great deals back there... also "one time buy" or seasonal items - they've had easy mac cups and this great cinnabon struesel glazed muffin mix - yum ... oh and if you like flavored hot chocolate the have a great variety pack - Land O Lakes. Yummy apple blossams (frozen food) and garlic bread pizza. They have a great sharp cheddar soft spread cheese.

Oh, and the Christmas stuff is ALREADY out!

I buy bottled water, milk, paper towels, toilet paper, paper plates, chips, batteries, garbage bags, dish detergent, Cheer detergent, 12 pack of scotch brite sponges, bagel bites, Farm Rich Chicken Quesidillas (yum!), 30 pack of Klondike Bars (for DH).......and the occasional Filet Mignon....those are my Sam's staples. I also check out the book section. Decent prices on ink cartridges too. Have fun!

Soda is NOT a good deal at Sam's! I always see it much cheaper at the grocery stores on a sale.

Also....just a tip, bring cash. Since your friend is the member, unless you pay in cash, she will have to write the check or use her own credit card since it is her membership.

Kimya

ETA: Some of the things I look at in Sam's are DVDs, CDS, products I don't find most anywhere else (specific items), and Clorox wipes! Those are a great deal there. The staples such as toilet paper, paper towels, etc., I can generally get at better prices by watching for sales at the stores and stocking up using coupons, etc.

thanks for the advice so far...........Clorox wipes--I didn't think of those!

And I didn't realize they had a clearance area!! Is it a specific section or just all around the store.

Nope, they don't take manufacturer's coupons.

The clearance area is usually (at least, in the ones near me) in the back of the store, generally in a little corner somewhere.

Kimya

fresh salmon filet, coffee, Frozen fish fillets, garbage bags are a real good deal there, laundry detergent, dish detergent, vitimins, I LOVE their fresh salsa, toilet paper, paper napkins, cheese cubes for kid snacks, fruit.

You're right, Sams prices are sometimes higher than sale prices at grocery stores or Wal-mart. Here's what I've found to be good deals for my family:

5# bag of shredded cheddar or mozz. cheese. Works out to $1 per 8 oz. It's never that cheap at the grocery, and Cheese freezes well.
Peanut butter
dishwasher detergent (store brand)
rawhide dog bones
Gummy vitamins for kids
5# BBq beef brisket--in the freezer section--$2/lb at my Sams
Gallon vinegar--I use it for cleaning
12# bag baking soda--again, cleaning or in the wash
Milk
Hamburger buns--I freeze won't I don't use right away
Ice cream

Be sure to check out the spice isle, sometimes they'll have those huge shakers of stuff for just a smidge more than little shakers at the grocery.

They have great All White Meat Chicken Mini Egg Rolls. They are amazing and come with the sweet and sour sauce! Yummy...now I'm getting hungry.

Oh, I am so excited that the Land 'o Lakes hot chocolates are back!!!!:goodvibes We were just there tonight, but I cannot wait. I give them away with Xmas stuff and get them for me (especially), too.

Have a good time!

Sharon

Be sure to go to the bakery. The fresh baked white chocolate macadamia nut cookies are so good. Birthday cakes are priced very well and they taste good too.

Spices the big bottles little prices. Ziplock gal bags!!!! water bottles, Mr Peanut peanuts, huge tub for $4.99
If you are going to be buying Nintendo DS lites for the holidays they ahve a box set with game included and some extras.

They had great Izod fleese lined jackets , $19.99 this week. Picture developing, enlargements for 1 hour (takes less if not busy) are about .80 for 8X 10 of the Disney pictures, for about $2.60 they will print a CD of your scandisk photo cards.

Gargage bags, Dawn, ERA, the long pork , they will cut into chops and keep a piece for a roast. The fruit is fresh, BUTTER! Unless your local market has specials, Bacon same story, look at the price for 3-4 packs.

Christmas light sets for the outside of the house.

If you use a floor shampooer, they carry a bottle of cleaner for about $5 Great stuff.

Salsa, and chips, They have mini pretzles, 5 bags in the box for $5. All the candy is good price too for halloween,

Mens white calf socks, the toes never wear out! For we gals they have the most comfortable lounging/sleep pants for women, name brand, in cotton and the stretch material. So comfy, I bought the capri style.

Car battery if you are due, I don;t care for the tires, wear too fast and loud on my car. The sales man buys his family from a local tire dealer not there.

Computer is the best buy ever there!

OH!!!!! You have to get a fire roasted chicken for supper! For $5 they are large enough for a small family, If I buy two I have them for three days with tons of sandwiches after, They are HUGE, and out of this world taste. Nothing like local markets prepare on the rotissorie.

Just some of my own thoughts.
dianne

Our Sam's Club in the Albany, NY area doesn't care how our "guest" pays. I never have to pay first and be paid back. My daughter sees no reason to have a membership, since they let her pay with her own credit card when we go shopping. I do have a business membership (lets me in nice and early) with an extra card..but if someone uses that (anyone can), they then do have to use my business checking account, but if I'm there, my "guest" can use my regular Sam's card and their credit card.
Most paper goods I do better with if on sale elsewhere, than at Sam's. I do get my water there as well as some frozen snacky type items and frozen blueberries and strawberries. Vegetables & fruits such as small tomatoes, strawberries are cheaper there, but you have to plan on using large packs. I buy my ink there, but they did just stop carrying my Epson photo printer ink, which was a bummer. Pool chemicals are cheaper at Sam's Club than pool places. Grands love it when we go on a Friday afternoon, for all the free samples they get to try! We do seem to always come home with large packs of "junk" food.

Soda is NOT a good deal at Sam's! I always see it much cheaper at the grocery stores on a sale.

Also....just a tip, bring cash. Since your friend is the member, unless you pay in cash, she will have to write the check or use her own credit card since it is her membership.

Kimya

We go with my MIL all the time that way we don't have to become members ourselves! You can use your own credit card even with her membership card - but you will not be able to write a personal check. So cash or charge is fine!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter