• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A warning for those doing the Chase Meet and Greet

Disneefun

DIS Veteran
We just got back from our trip yesterday and I want to pass on something disturbing that I saw. We were waiting in line for the Chase Meet and Greet at Innoventions in Epcot. If you've done it before, you know that the CM goes down the line, takes your card, verifies you and gives you the claim certificate before you go in.

While the CM was going down the line, I noticed a guy a slight distance behind her with his camera phone out. He kept up with her as she moved down the line. He was also working the keypad on the phone. At first I thought he was texting or taking a picture, but then I got it. I think he was taking (or trying to take) pics of the credit cards as she handled them. I said something to the CM and she turned around and he mumbled something to her, like asking for directions or something and said something about getting a message from his wife. But he left immediately after she noticed him.

I can't swear that he was up to no good, but it looked awfully suspicious. I guess if you're looking for a place to get a good look at a lot of credit cards while disguised as a clueless tourist just taking pictures, that's the place to do it. When she took mine, even though the guy had gone, I made sure that she kept her fingers over most of the numbers the whole time she had it.

I did mention it to a security guard that we found outside of Innoventions after we'd finished our meet and greet and she said that she had heard of it happening before and that they try to police the area and get the CM's to handle the cards carefully, but they aren't always around when it happens and some CM's are better than others at protecting your card.

So the moral of this longish story is this: If you do the meet and greet, keep an eye on your surroundings, don't hesitate to point out someone looking suspicious, and ask the CM to cover your card's numbers while she/he has it, and don't wave it around or leave it out while waiting in line. Keep in in your wallet or in your tightly closed hand.

We've done this three times in the past and the CM never took the card. They just looked at it before we went inside for the Meet and Greet. What do they have to do to verify it? Must be something new.

wow! :sad2:

It's a good reminder to always be aware of who's around you when handeling your CC in public. It can happen at all sorts of places.

So the moral of this longish story is this: If you do the meet and greet, keep an eye on your surroundings, don't hesitate to point out someone looking suspicious, and ask the CM to cover your card's numbers while she/he has it, and don't wave it around or leave it out while waiting in line. Keep in in your wallet or in your tightly closed hand.

OP, thanks for bringing this up. I worked at the mall 3 or so yrs ago, and we got warnings from security there about the same thing happening. We were told to, if we saw a customer in line get their card out & ready to pay, ask them to keep the numbers covered while waiting. There were LOTS of people standing in line, with their card out, getting camera-phone pix taken of their cc. The crooks take pix of lots of different cards, because they never know which people will hold the card differently after a moment or 2, also allowing a pic of the security code on the back.

While the CM was going down the line, I noticed a guy a slight distance behind her with his camera phone out. He kept up with her as she moved down the line. He was also working the keypad on the phone. At first I thought he was texting or taking a picture, but then I got it. I think he was taking (or trying to take) pics of the credit cards as she handled them. I said something to the CM and she turned around and he mumbled something to her, like asking for directions or something and said something about getting a message from his wife. But he left immediately after she noticed him. .
What if you snapped a number of pictures of him? Some including a generous amount of background. Not that you might have problems with your credit card and have the urge (not a need or requirement or obligation) to send some along with your credit card dispute letter but might come in handy.

We've done this three times in the past and the CM never took the card. They just looked at it before we went inside for the Meet and Greet. What do they have to do to verify it? Must be something new.

Every time we've done it, the CM has taken the card, written the last 4 digits on the claim certificate and handed it back. I think the first time, she also wrote the last 4 digits on a list they were keeping at the entrance. She doesn't have it for long, just long enough to jot down those numbers.

Same here. Barely looked at it.
Although this is a good reminder for anywhere we use our card.

Thanks OP for the warning. I wish I would have been reminded of this before. We were there last week, too, and I probably would have never noticed any of this being so preoccupied with keeping my children entertained in line.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be honest, I tend to let my guard down a little while at Disney, but next time I'm going to the meet and greet I will definitely keep an eye out.

Does just the number from the front still work? Wouldn't someone need the 3-digit security code off the back?

You know, now that I think about it. What would be wrong in just taking a small address label or maybe some post it paper and put it over all the numbers but the last 4? I mean, when you swipe it....you don't have to have the numbers and if they want to verify it against your license they just need the name. Sometimes they need the last 4 to type in when you place an order and they swipe it, but never would they need the whole card number. If you ever wanted to order something online where you needed to type in the whole number you could remove the sticker if you used something like a post it sticky, that removes easily. Or save that sticky thing that comes on your card that tells you to call in and activate your card, and put it over the numbers, only leaving those last 4 exposed.

Just a thought.

That's scary OP! Thanks for the info!! I hope they have talked with the CM, what if they were working together? DBF cc number was stolen somehow, we never figured out how, I wonder if it was someone taking pictures of it? Scary!!!!!

What's the Chase meet and greet? We have a Chase card....

Has to be a disney chase visa card. You go to innoventions at epcot between 1:30 and 4:30 and you get to go into a room by yourself with some characters to get your picture taken and then you go and redeem the voucher that they give you for one free picture.

I've done this maybe 5 times since 2006 and they've always needed the last 4 digits of my card.

I have Chase ATM card sleeves that I keep our card in and just hand them the whole thing when we get there. The little sleeves seem to help with my room key not getting de-magnetized, too.

Thanks for the heads up!

Has to be a disney chase visa card. You go to innoventions at epcot between 1:30 and 4:30 and you get to go into a room by yourself with some characters to get your picture taken and then you go and redeem the voucher that they give you for one free picture.

Thanks for this, I have been missing out on this! Is it every day? And which Innovations, the one nearest or furthest from TT? (Can't remember East or West!:laughing:) Are there a lot of people lined up? Thanks for the info!!

My wife and I have separate Chase acconts so we gave them both cards and received two certificates. And yes you can do this each day you are at EPCOT.

Also if you get your photo taken and then go to the photo center right away and your photos aren't ready and you tell them you are leaving the park for the day they will let you get your free print using any of the other photos on your photopass account. Otherwise they are pretty strict about you only getting a free print of the Chase meet and greet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter