• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A very uneventful black friday. Did anyone else not find any good deals this year??

Well I had a good day :)

I went to Wal-Mart and got the Garmin GPS system then headed to Target and got the Power Wheels Quad rider for my nephew along with Electronic Monopoly. As I was heading to the check-out I happened upon 3 wii's just waiting to be bought, so I got one of those too!

Next it was off the Kohls for the hooded towels and then done for the day. Total time in the stores was about an hour but I got everything I wanted.

Yeah, I didn't really any new deals this year or anything worth standing in the cold for. I told DH that I must be really lame because the best deals this BF were at Walgreens. :confused3
Ditto. Picked up our photo holiday cards at Walgreens (ordered on-line the same day) then bought a few things at CVS. Hitting two drugstores is a pretty tame Black Friday, but the sales the week before were better for the items we were looking for so didn't need much. And this is the earliest I've had holiday cards done, so that's a good thing!:banana: :wizard:

I actually did get up early. Don't usually do that. DH and I hit TRU and got there right at opening. People were already leaving but don't know why. Maybe some big deal items were already sold out. We did not get the MP3 player we hoped for but did get the other items I had planned for at 50% off or more. Particularly glad about the $14.99 Dream Life for DD. But the line was INSANE. It started out in the seasonal area and wrapped all the way around the store making a couple of turns through clothes and hte baby department. Took us 45 min to check out and I kept wondering if it was really worth the money we saved. Then we went to Kohl's. Still nuts there. I did score the two pack of crank flashlights that I tried to get three times last year so that was a good thing. Also got the mini R/C helicopter that DH wanted. He is pretending he doesn't know we have it because DS is really excited about giving it to him. It was the last one there and we just happened upon it by cutting through one dept to get to another. In line there at least half an hour. Then we went to Target. Very calm there. Got the Operation Rescue Game for $18 (good price but not shocking) and two of the $13.50 games so saved about $6 on each of those. Then DH and I went out to breakfast. Then hit BB and got the last Cooking Mama they had for $9.99. Going to be holding on to that til our trip to CA in the spring. Oh yeah, got a two pack of Gameboy Advance games for the boys for $14 at Kohl's too so everyone will have a new game for the very long drive.

I agree that there were no killer deals that were good enough to force me out of bed earlier than I had to be in order to get the goodies and still be able to get to work. Between last night and today, we have picked up a couple of external hard drives that we wanted/needed. Both were good deals, not the best ever, but good deals.

I snagged the Target Guitar Hero III game bundle that comes with 2 wired guitars for PS2 today. It was $85 instead of the usual $109. I got the Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II dual disc at Walmart for $39.94, so that was cool being that Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II both sell for $34.99 each at Walmart. I also grabbed a wireless guitar for the game at Toys R Us for half price, $19.99. I know, 3 guitars in a home with only one devoted player. :rolleyes:

Otherwise, no major deals. I am hoping for something to come up soon that wows me, but I would rather not "blow" my money right now on a bunch of semi-useful/useless crap. Maggie

Not even remotely impressed with this year's ads. We hit up Longs for soda and a cheapo mp3 player for DH to bike ride with. And I took advantage of Claire's being 20% off entire store for a few stocking stuffers. The only other thing I saw was wii remote jackets at CC, ordered those online. I had much better luck over the last 3 weeks. I am all but done. A few elephant gifts for xmas parties and my brother (he wants $$ for clothes).

Not even remotely impressed with this year's ads. We hit up Longs for soda and a cheapo mp3 player for DH to bike ride with. And I took advantage of Claire's being 20% off entire store for a few stocking stuffers. The only other thing I saw was wii remote jackets at CC, ordered those online. I had much better luck over the last 3 weeks. I am all but done. A few elephant gifts for Xmas parties and my brother (he wants $$ for clothes).

Darn I never thought to look for those Wii remote covers on line; that was the only thing I wanted so I stayed home! I have done most of mine online this year and gotten good deals without all the chaos! :santa:

My big disappointment was Macy's. I bought 3 papers on Thurs. to get 3 of their $10 off $25 coupons. Last year I found tons of stuff and regretted not having more coupons. This year the pickings were slim and I only used one on a coffee grinder for myself that I'm not so sure was even that good of a deal. So I'm with you OP.

Well somebody thought the sales were good because some reports show an 8.3% increase in dollar sales over last year's bf. Even though I didn't think the sales were that special, I admit, I spent a lot of money on Friday.

I agree that this years sales were less than great. I didn't get out until noon so I figured the few things I did want would be gone. I did manage to get the one thing I was looking for-a Christmas tree- and I got a fabulous deal on it. It was originally $400 on sale for $319 but because they didn't have another tree that was on sale in stock, they took an additional 50% off so I got it for $165. Finally shopping at Sears pays off! It is on sale in todays flyer for $300. Then yesterday, while at BJ's, I found a 42" HD 1080i LCD for $899 which I thought was a pretty good deal-that is until I found a coupon book on the bottom of my carriage with a coupon for an additional $200 off. I was ecstatic to say the least!

Well somebody thought the sales were good because some reports show an 8.3% increase in dollar sales over last year's bf. Even though I didn't think the sales were that special, I admit, I spent a lot of money on Friday.

Yeah, I don't get that either. The stores were just as crowded as last year, but it seemed like people weren't buying as much. I got out later than usual and was shocked to see people standing in lines wrapped through the aisles of Kohl's and they only had like 2 or 3 items! I would never stand in line for 1 1/2 hours to save only a few bucks. If you shop at Kohl's a lot you get to know their prices and find out that their "60% off" is only a dollar less than the normal 50% off.

One lady was in line with only 5 holiday jarred candles and a shirt. Well, the candles are usually 50% off so they are $4.99. On BF they were $3.99, so she stood in line for well over an hour to save $5.00 and maybe a couple of bucks on the shirt. :confused:

One lady was in line with only 5 holiday jarred candles and a shirt. Well, the candles are usually 50% off so they are $4.99. On BF they were $3.99, so she stood in line for well over an hour to save $5.00 and maybe a couple of bucks on the shirt. :confused:

You know that is sooo what I found myself wondering about myself! I did get the Dream Life thing for DD at $14.99 and no way would have spent the usual $30 on it but still. We were in line at TRU for 45 min. That is pretty silly!

I got an ipod clock radio for $29, regular price $79!

Where? If it was at Kohl's, I can guarantee that that clock is never going to be listed at $79.00. That's what I mean about the "sale" price there. Yes, it will be cheaper on Black Friday, but not by much. There are a few items with really great deals at Kohl's but for the most part, the savings was not that much than a typical day.

I was so disappionted with the sales. The only thing I would have bought is a new laptop, but even those sales weren't that great. I saw deals as good during the year. And since I don't "need" one, I actually turned my car around so I didn't spend the money.

I heard lines were still crazy around here. And if the sales were up, it's probably because things cost more than before and people thought they were getting a good deal.

Black Friday has always been my favorite shopping day and I was bummed. Although I did pester dh enough to let us get a guinea pig for our dd. I've spent about $130 bucks in the last two days buying more stuff for her. But she's so cute and we love her! And my 5 yo dd is finally able to hold her without her squirming away!

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

Rachel

I wasn't going to go out, but then I saw diapers on sale at Babies R Us. $10/box for their own brand diapers. Expecting twins in the spring, so I had to stock up! The infant ones were only $5.99!

Of course, come Friday morning, I didn't want to go out in the cold so I sent my husband. He spent more than I would have, since he stopped at Home Depot and Sears! :rotfl2:

Nothing else seemed to be a really great deal...

I shopped online and got better prices from my living room than I would have going out with all those crazy people.

The only thing I would have bought is a new laptop, but even those sales weren't that great. I saw deals as good during the year.
I agree- I don't get why people were so jacked up to wait all night for a $299 laptop, I bought my laptop off the shelf (Office Depot) in Sept. for $349 (less 10% or a free memory upgrade- I took the memory but if I didn't it would have been $315)

Probably my best deals I got were online--both free shipping-
the TOMTOM le for $119 shipped at BB
2gb sandisk sd cards: $6.99 each after rebate (I got 6 of them)

Yeah, I don't get that either. The stores were just as crowded as last year, but it seemed like people weren't buying as much. I got out later than usual and was shocked to see people standing in lines wrapped through the aisles of Kohl's and they only had like 2 or 3 items! I would never stand in line for 1 1/2 hours to save only a few bucks. If you shop at Kohl's a lot you get to know their prices and find out that their "60% off" is only a dollar less than the normal 50% off.

I agree, this is just crazy. I was wondering the same thing when I saw people in those lines with hardly anything. Kohls was a waste of my time. I would have left if I was not with two other people. They found some things they thought were great deals so I waited it out with them.

I agree that this year's deals weren't that wonderful. However, there were 2 things I really wanted so I talked my DH into going with me. We got the $199 Sony surround sound system from Best Buy and I got the Cuisinart Grind and Brew coffeemaker for $39.99 (been wanting that for a long time). We got a couple of the $14.99 TV series DVDs and called it a day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter