A DREAM is a WISH your HEART makes ..... 18 days of Free Disney Dining! (with pix)

August 15 continued .......... dinner at Kona Cafe!

After enjoying some time at the resort it was time for dinner at the Kona Cafe! We both love it there!
We drove over to the Polynesian and signed in right at 5pm. We were handed a beeper, which went off while we were leaving the podium - speak about fast service.
We had a very nice female server who explained that our DDP included any main course, dessert and soft drink. We asked her if we could use our DDE card on any extras and we were. So we started out by ordering some drinks.
Tom chose the Classic Mai Tai - Dark rum, pineapple juice and citrus juices - yum!

IMG_7200.jpg

I had the Malibu Macaw - a combo of Malibu coconut rum, Midori melon liqueur, and pineapple and cranberry juices. Both were recommended by the server and mine was not just yum - it was YUM YUM!!!

IMG_7198.jpg

Right after we had ordered the drinks the server returned with their soft, slightly sweet bread and Macademia nut butter! What a treat!

IMG_7197.jpg

We then ordered our main courses. Tom decided to try the Pomegranate Barbecued Pork Chop served on pan-roasted fingerling potatoes and applewood smoked bacon braised Swiss chard, which I had had in December during our last trip! It did not disappoint. The meat was juicy and tender and it is a VERY large pork chop!

IMG_7204.jpg

IMG_7205.jpg

I wanted to try something "new" (for us) and had the Shrimp and Scallops - panko breaded shrimp and pan-seared scallops with sticky rice and ponzu, spicy guava-passion fruit and wasabi cream sauces. Again a large serving and the only "negative" point was that ONE of the scallops was slightly oversalted. Happens easily! Otherwise the scallops and shrimp were very tender and cooked to perfection.

IMG_7202.jpg

We never thought about skipping dessert though, we just love the sweet stuff too much :worship:!

So these were the desserts we chose - Tom chose the new one on the menu (couldn't remember it from our December trip), the Coconut Cream Kiki Tart with whipped cream and a rolled up praline cookie! He nearly finished the whole thing!

IMG_7208.jpg

I decided to be brave and tackle the Chocolate Fondue! I loved the dark chocolate taste on the fresh fruit and the macaroons and praline cookies were just melt in your mouth good!

IMG_7209.jpg

After dinner we took the Monorail to the TTC and went to Epcot for a while before we returned to the MK which had EEMH, but it was so packed we actually left early (it was open until 2am!)

Coming up next ......... Earl of Sandwich, Riverside Mill and Le Cellier! :goodvibes

Wow! I hate to sound snobby, but after so many bad reviews on the DIS, I am so shocked to see your food from Mama Melrose!

It looks delicious! Too bad I already have my dining planned for this year...or I may just have to figure out how to squeeze it in.

I was thinking the exact same thing!! It looks fabulous!!!

Thanks for writing your review - I'm drooling over the pictures!!! Keep 'em comin! popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn::

Wow :) 18 days....if we could all be so lucky....

Can't wait to see all of your reviews, and thank you for taking such perfect pictures!:woohoo:

Kona looks fantasic! We are going there next month and I really want to sink my teeth into that pork chop, sipping that yummy Macaw drink and finish the the coconut tart...wow great pics! :thumbsup2

terrific reviews and pictures - thanks so much for taking the time and making the effort to share your dining experiences! walt would be proud of you :)

looking forward to the rest - 18 days, my oh my! do you go to the parks every day?!

by the way - what is your native language? your english is great!

August 16 - Earl of Sandwich, lunch in our room from Riverside Mill and dinner at Le Cellier

We started day 3 at DTD again. We had slept in a little and then decided to go and have a sandwich at the Earl of Sandwich. We had been there for the first time during our December trip and were eager to go back.
We decided to share two sandwiches, the The Earl's Club - roast turkey, smoked bacon, Swiss cheese, lettuce and tomato

IMG_7267.jpg

and the All American - roast turkey, buttermilk ranch, cranberries, cheddar cheese, lettuce and tomato, buttermilk Ranch

IMG_7269.jpg

which both were very good. For our dessert we picked up a 3 berry muffin crown

IMG_7274.jpg

and a brownie which we both saved for "later", meaning breakfast one of the next days. I have to admit that even we did not have them on the day we "purchased" them, they were still very nice.

IMG_7275.jpg

Since Fay was lurking in the Atlantic we wanted to enjoy our convertable Ford Mustang rental while we still could and went to the Disney outlet malls to check out any good deals.
We arrived back at the resort about 4 hours later and since we had a rather late 7.30 Le Cellier reservation we thought about trying the resort's food court, the Riverside Mill. We decided on sharing a "create your own" salad. You get to choose between field greens and romaine leaves, chicken or beef and can then add any of the following toppings: bacon, blue cheese, broccoli, carrots, corn, chow mein noodles, cucumbers, dried cranberries, feta cheese, garbanzo beans, grape tomatoes, Kalamata olives, parmesan cheese, peas, and roasted red peppers. They even have a selection of dressings which are Caesar, Lite Italian, Mandarin Orange Sesame, Ranch, and Raspberry vinaigrette.
We chose the mixed field greens, some grilled chicken, bacon, corn, tomatoes and roasted red peppers, dressed with Lite Italian. The portion was more than generous for the two of us!

IMG_7291.jpg

Since we got dessert with our CS meal we picked up a carrot cake which was yummy, but VERY rich so we only had half of it and saved the rest for breakfast since we did not want to stuff ourselves too much before dinner. Le Cellier - yeah!!!!

IMG_7286.jpg

IMG_7287.jpg

To be continued ...........
next up Le Cellier!!

Wow :) 18 days....if we could all be so lucky....

Can't wait to see all of your reviews, and thank you for taking such perfect pictures!:woohoo:

18 days of WDW = :cloud9: :thumbsup2
......... and it seems I have finally managed to take some decent food pix - took a lot of trying, LOL!

Kona looks fantasic! We are going there next month and I really want to sink my teeth into that pork chop, sipping that yummy Macaw drink and finish the the coconut tart...wow great pics! :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 on ALL of your choices!

terrific reviews and pictures - thanks so much for taking the time and making the effort to share your dining experiences! walt would be proud of you :)

looking forward to the rest - 18 days, my oh my! do you go to the parks every day?!

by the way - what is your native language? your english is great!

Thank you so much for your comment!!
I just loved this year's vacation - we were vacationing for 28 days :woohoo: and even though we ran into Fay it was such a fun time, especially at Disney! And yes, we do go to the parks every day, but staying for that length of time we can take it easy and enjoy the resorts and DTD as well.

Oh, and my native language is German.

I drooled over the Kona pics. Wow! That food looked amazing!

Your reviews are wonderful, getting me very excited for my trip! :goodvibes

Hurray! Someone else who used their left over desserts for breakfast!

Loving your review - fantastic pictures! I agree on Wolfgang Puck express - we only found it near the end of our holiday. We couldn't believe we could get such a good CS meal with service on the DDP! We'd defintely go back.

One thing - did you leave a tip for your server? We weren't sure of the protocol of tipping for a 'CS' meal, but our server had been so attentive that we left her some dollars.

Keep up the good work!

Shari xxx

Wonderful reviews so far! Thank you for sharing!

You are welcome!

I drooled over the Kona pics. Wow! That food looked amazing!

Your reviews are wonderful, getting me very excited for my trip! :goodvibes

Wow! You have less than a week until you go to MY favourite place!! Where are you staying? Don't forget to book that free dining bounceback if the dates are right for you!

Hurray! Someone else who used their left over desserts for breakfast!

Loving your review - fantastic pictures! I agree on Wolfgang Puck express - we only found it near the end of our holiday. We couldn't believe we could get such a good CS meal with service on the DDP! We'd defintely go back.

One thing - did you leave a tip for your server? We weren't sure of the protocol of tipping for a 'CS' meal, but our server had been so attentive that we left her some dollars.

Keep up the good work!

Shari xxx

:thumbsup2 for using left over dessert for breakfast!

And yes, we did tip the servers. Notice the plural? We went their SEVERAL times LOL! We were not sure about how that was handled, but since they were so attentive and had to practically do the same as serves at TS restaurants, so we tipped them. Glad we were not the only ones! :goodvibes

I noticed you are from the UK, do you travel to DLRP too?

Wow! You have less than a week until you go to MY favourite place!! Where are you staying? Don't forget to book that free dining bounceback if the dates are right for you!

Actually, we splurged this trip and we're staying at the Wilderness Lodge. I am SO excited, because I have a three year old, and that boat to the MK is going to be invaluable what with all the gear and stroller and whatnot. Plus, it's so relaxing there, I'm really looking forward to deluxe amenities. For the past two years we've gone value, so this is a real treat.

And I am SO all over bounceback. Know what dates I want, plan on booking. :thumbsup2

I love this food-filled trip report! You've made me terribly jealous. My next trip isn't until late 2009 and I'm suffering from Disney withdrawal!

I'm also pleased to see the high praise of the food coming from an Austrian. Austria had some of the most amazing food I've ever had.

Your photos are making me regret skipping dinner tonight.
I enjoyed the Kona pictures, we are trying it for our first time this year. Looking forwar to LeCellier as we will be trying it for the first time this year as well. I think my DD is going to enjoy that pork chop.
Looking forward to more...popcorn::

Wow, Kona looks outstanding. I could get into some trouble with those drinks. And, oh my, those scallops look tasty.

To answer your question about visiting Austria ~ unfortunately, I have never been. I have always wanted to though. My heritage is in Germany and have always been intrigued by the area. I took even took several years of German classes in my pre-teen and teen years ~ had a pen pal too for many years.

Great reviews and fantastic pictures. Looking forward to the rest.

I am jealous - 18 days- wow. We can only stay for 4 or 5 days. Of course, we don't live in Europe so we can take shorter trips.

I want to go to Goofy's right now!!!

Thanks for the reviews. You're doing a great job so far, I can't wait for the rest!

August 15 continued .......... dinner at Kona Cafe!

I wanted to try something "new" (for us) and had the Shrimp and Scallops - panko breaded shrimp and pan-seared scallops with sticky rice and ponzu, spicy guava-passion fruit and wasabi cream sauces. Again a large serving and the only "negative" point was that ONE of the scallops was slightly oversalted. Happens easily! Otherwise the scallops and shrimp were very tender and cooked to perfection.

I've read quite a few posts where people thought the Shrimp and Scallops at Kona was too small a portion, which made me sad because that's the one menu item that caught my eye as I was making my ADRs. So I'm VERY glad to hear that you say it seemed like a large serving. Funny enough, the other entree that I'm considering is the pork chop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter