A DREAM is a WISH your HEART makes ..... 18 days of Free Disney Dining! (with pix)

dizneeat

DIS Veteran
Well, here is my (our) review of 18 days of free disney dining from Aug 14 to 26 and Aug 30 to Sept 5.

Before I start let me introduce myself. My brother and travelling buddy Tom and I live in Austria and we travel to WDW once a year to induldge on Disney food and enjoy the parks.
This summer we were lucky enough to score 18 days of Free Disney Dining which we enjoyed to the fullest.
Please keep in mind that English is NOT my mother tongue and excuse any mistakes made while trying to review our dining experience.

Tom and I departed from Austria on Aug 9 and flew to Miami, our starting point to this year's vacation. After visits to Key West and Fort Lauderdale we arrived at WDW on Aug 14 with reservations for Mama Melrose.

We had picked the Fantasmic Package, since it offered an additional appetizer even on the DDP. We arrived about 20 minutes early and while waiting to be seated saw a lot of people being turned away. We were seated about 15 minutes after we had checked in at a nice small table right opposite the kitchen. It was a lot of fun watching the chefs!

For his starter Tom chose the Crispy Calamari with peppers and onions and a side of spicy marinara sauce (all descriptions come from allearsnet) and loved every bite of it.

IMG_7151.jpg

I had the Mozzarella and Tomatoes - with marinated sweet onions, balsamic drizzle, extra virgin olive oil and fresh basil and it was as tasty as it looked. What a start to our dining extravaganza!

IMG_7148.jpg

Our main courses were the Charred Butcher Tender Steak cooked medium with gorgonzola butter on roasted red pepper polenta, grilled asparagus and red wine reduction and the Wood-grilled Chicken tossed with Pipette pasta with artichokes, peas, roasted red peppers in a basil and four cheese cream sauce. We cleaned BOTH plates - both were really great!

IMG_7155.jpg

IMG_7153.jpg

We were both quite full by that time, but could not "refuse" dessert. So we "had to" order some.
I had the Honey Hazelnut and Ricotta Cheesecake and Tom had another favourite of ours, the Warm Chocolate Truffle Cake. It took us a while but we finished these "yummy" treats as well.

IMG_7158.jpg

IMG_7160.jpg

We were then handed our Fantasmic ticket, which we later gave to another couple since we did not intend to see it.

Well, this concludes our first day. But this is to be continued ........ next up Wolfgang Puck's Express!

August 15 - Wolfgang Puck's Express, snack's from Goofy's Candy Co and dinner at the Kona Cafe!

Day 2 of our food feast started out with coffee, tea and a few oreo cookies in our POR room before we made our way over to check out WPE (Wolfgang Puck's Express). We were very eager to see his eatery since he is a fellow Austrian, even though he has been living in the US for a long time now.

The pizzas sounded yummy on the menu so I went for the Spicy Chicken and Sweet Peppers - all natural chicken, roasted red and yellow peppers, mozzarella, tomoatoes, leeks, crushed red chilis and fresh cilantro which was actually to die for! I could not believe I finished the whole thing! :rotfl2:

IMG_7167.jpg

Tom went for the pasta dish that morning and had the Rigatoni with Chicken Alfredo which came with a caesar salad. The pasta was cooked just right, the chicken moist and the sauce so tasty. And the salad was a delight as well.

IMG_7169.jpg

IMG_7170.jpg

As we got a dessert with this counter service Tom tried the chocolate cookie and I tried the Creme Bruleé, which was one of the best I ever had. It was hard to believe that such a creamy delight was served at a CS place.

IMG_7172.jpg

IMG_7173.jpg

IMG_7171.jpg

What we really loved about WPE was, that even though this is a CS place, you just place your order and the food is brought to your table on a real plate with metal cutlery and the waiters even get you refills on your drinks. We loved it VERY much there, you'll find out that this was not our only visit.

Since we were at DTD anyway we decided to stop over at Goofy's Candy Co and look at the treats you can make yourself. We only wanted to look but were so tempted that we actually had two treats made!

One of them was the Marshmellow dipped into dark chocolate and then dipped into chopped pecans and oreo crumbs, drizzled with white chocolate

IMG_7191.jpg

and the second one was a giant fudge cookie dipped into dark chocolate, then dipped into crushed M&Ms and peanuts, drizzled with caramel. Unfortunately some of the caramel got stuck on the box. We did not taste them until later in the day and it took us a few days to finish the cookie! It was HUGE!

IMG_7193.jpg

IMG_7196.jpg

We could not resist taking a few pix of the CM making those treats.

IMG_7183.jpg

To be continued ..........
Next up .......... dinner at Kona Cafe!

This is going to be great!! I can just tell!!! sign me up!!!

Can't wait for more!!!:thumbsup2

This is going to be great!! I can just tell!!! sign me up!!!

Can't wait for more!!!:thumbsup2

Thanks! Unfortunately you'll have to wait until tomorrow - being six hours ahead of EST means it is going towards midnight here and tomorrow is another day at work :teacher: , :) !

Wow! I hate to sound snobby, but after so many bad reviews on the DIS, I am so shocked to see your food from Mama Melrose!

It looks delicious! Too bad I already have my dining planned for this year...or I may just have to figure out how to squeeze it in.

And, I had no idea that you could get a little creme brulee at WPE. That's nice to know. :thumbsup2

Please keep the reviews coming, they're wonderful. :goodvibes

Wow, that is a long trip and I am super jealous! Cannot wait to hear all about it!

Wow! What a great start! I would say that you have absolutely no apologies to make for your English, I never would have guessed that it was not your native tongue from your writing.

Mama Melrose looks great, I still haven't tried it and now I want to even more! Can't wait for the rest!

After seeing your pics of Mama Melrose's dishes I'm a bit sad that I canceled this ADR! Everything looks so good!

Thank you for taking the time to do these reviews. I'll be checking back for more!

loved what I see so far. I will definitely be ordering the calamari at Mama Melrose even if it is not part of the DDP. I love it.

enjoying your reviews and photos - especially that dessert at mama melrose, the honey hazelnut ricotta cheesecake - it looks a lot like my favorite dessert, almond crusted cheesecake (at narcoosees!) - wonder if i could get it "to go" at mama's??!!

More More give me more. Terrific pics and reviews, we are doing MM for lunch this year (as of right now may change to dinner)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter