8th grade graduation gift?

minnie1012

DIS Veteran
My daughter is graduating 8th grade next month. The school does an actual graduation ceremony with cap and gown etc. Did you get your child a gift for 8th graduation? If so what did you get?

I didn't get my child a gift. This year, I'm not even going to DD14's 8th grade graduation--and to be fair, I didn't go to my older kids', either. Here, and where we used to live, they hold them during the day, not really expecting parents to go. Added bonus this year, DS11 is "graduating" elementary school at the exact same time. I'm going to his ceremony--not to play favorites, but because I tutored math in his classroom for the entire year. So, I'm really going, more to support my math kids. I had to make a choice, and that's what broke the tie.

DD14 was hoping to have a pool party after school on the last day, but I don't think she can. She's in a performance that weekend (last day is Thursday). She'll likely have rehearsal that afternoon/evening.

Years ago my parents bought me a nice camera for 8th grade graduation.

We bought our girls heart necklaces with little diamonds in them. They still wear them three years later.

Our middle school does a moving up ceremony. I let dd pick out a necklace and earrings as a gift.

She's graduating from high school in a few weeks. It goes by fast.

I don't think so. They do a whole cap and gown thing the same place they hold the HS graduation in town, it's in the morning (elementary schools are that afternoon). It's two years!

I got cash for my 8th grade graduation from grandparents and aunts/uncles. My mother bought me a new outfit for that day (we also had caps and gowns) so that was my gift from her. I don't remember if my father got me something.

DD will have a moving up ceremony for 6th grade next year. No cap or gowns. It's mostly an awards ceremony. We also only get 3 tickets per kid so it's not a huge deal within the family. We didn't give DS a gift for his so I doubt we do that for DD. I believe we took DS out for ice cream after. We will probably do the same or dinner for DD.

Her moving up ceremony is the day before DS's high school graduation so we aren't going to go crazy.

My girls went from a small Catholic school to a giant county public high school so I wanted to make it some what memorable for them. I got charms for my to oldest and a small dainty onyx ring for my youngest.

I bought DD a really nice diamond necklace and gave her some cash to spend on vacation.

When my younger son was that age, my mom and I went in together and bought him a guitar.

Older son got a stereo system the same way.

For 8th grade?

My kids get a pat on the back, a variation of the comment "I can't believe I have a kid old enough to go to high school" from me, and a talk about how a good GPA starts in 9th grade.

Their school does a graduation with the caps, gowns, etc. I always thought it was a little over the top since the entire class moves on to high school together in our small school district.

DS is leaving 5th grade this year via a school-wide clap out. That seems a little more appropriate to me. I wish that was what the 8th graders did instead of the whole graduation dinner/dance/walk etc.

I'm in the camp of leaving graduations to high school and college.

We did a small ceremony (no caps/gowns) and dinner when I was in 8th grade, but I went to a k-8th Catholic school that didn't have a high school attached. After 8th grade, everyone scattered to different high schools. I can see doing something special for that since we had been together since kindergarten. But seriously....my kids are going to sit in class with the exact same kids in 9th grade as they did in 8th.

we didnt do a graudation in cap and gown, but we did an 8th grade promotion

my parents gave me $100 in spending money for our vacation to Branson, and I got ot have a sleepover with all my friends and they bought all the snacks, pizza, movies, etc..

Seriously, you've never heard of 8th grade graduation or as our school calls it.......a celebration. :)

At my school we had a half day party in our school's gym. I was on the organizing committee although I don't recall a single thing I recommended was done. There was a DJ, and everyone was allowed to have two sodas and cake. Nothing resembling a commencement ceremony and definitely no families were there for it. Definitely nothing resembling a diploma or certificate. I guess we could have proved that we passed the 8th grade with a transcript.

8th grade graduation. What's the world coming to now?

I had an 8th grade graduation ceremony 30 years ago.

My ds is graduating 8th grade this year too OP. I am upgrading his iphone as his gift. I can't remember what I did for my other 2 when they graduated but it was probably the same thing, or just gave them some cash.

I had the full on cap & gown graduation from 8th grade. My parents bought me a pager. :rotfl:

I graduated 8th grade in 1986 and got a color TV with remote LOL
When my kids graduated, I know I bought them something, can't remember what though....New xbox or something maybe? It was only a few years ago, too....

8th grade graduation. What's the world coming to now?

Oh good lord,

'Hey, way to go (insert child's name).

Celebrations are so out of control these days.

*not directed at you OP..this is in general.
Oh come on now, they've been around forever. I remember going to my sister's and younger brothers. Those were 30 and 20 years ago. I had a 6th grade graduation. I went to a sixth grade center and then my middle school went 7th through 9th grade so no 8th grade graduation for me.

Older DD did not have one but there were lots of awards ceremonies. Traditionally we go out to a nice dinner the last day of school so I imagine we let her pick the place. No gift but lots of pats on the back.

At my sons' k-8 school they have 8th grade graduation. The boys wear suits and the girls wear white dresses. It's a big deal but as far as I can tell big gifts aren't given. The school gives out certificates and the next morning at moving up day the 8th graders have the blanket ceremony where the parents drape their 8th graders with a special blanket that has the school logo on it. Many of the kids eventually take their blankets to college.

The students also do special 8th grade portraits with a special one taken of the members of the 9 year club (students who were there all nine years). The school gives the nine year club members a framed copy of the photo as a graduation gift.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter