5day car rental on Priceline or Hotwire, what happens if you drop off a day early?

disneyberry

Dreaming of adventure
DVC Premium
just curious, if you successfully bid for a 5day car rental through either Priceline or Hotwire, and then for some reason you need to return your car a day early (which means you no longer qualify for a weekly rate), do you get charged any sort of penalty fee for returning the car early?

what about if you book a 6day rental through either, and then return it a day early?

and then, does it really complicate things if you need to buy Supplemental Liability Insurance?

has anyone had experience with this?

Both PL and hotwire state (FAQ) that you can return a car early but won't get a refund.

I've read horror stories of the rates you'll be charged if you turn the car in late. Some people have posted that you don't even get the normal 1 hour grace period.

thanks for the info. it doesn't matter about the refund, i figured as much.

as long as we don't get charged a Penalty Fee for turning it in early!!

Print the page from the PL/Hotwire FAQ section. If you trun the car in early you may need to help explain the rules.

If you don't qualify for the weekly rate then you will be charged for the daily rate. I would check with the rental agency. Also not every rental agency wants or needs the car back.

To be on the safe side I would call and ask. Priceline and Hotwire might differ but I wouldn't want any surprises when I returned the car.

I do know people that were charged the daily rate.

Safetymom--PL and Hotwire operate under different rules. If you're trying to squeeze a weekly rate check the fine print. In some cases all you need is 5 days (possibly with a Sat). Frequently if you go more than 2 hours you're charged an exta day. In other words (with some agencies) 4 days plus 2 hours gives you the weekly rate.

Also if you're only renting for 3 days check for a free day coupon.

I am not familiar with Priceline and Hotwire rentals but very familiar with reg. car rentals. I do a lot of business traveling and could tell you stories about what happened when I went to return the car and the charges.

I still think it is good advice to call and ask but also have what the website says about these situations printed out with you.

Be prepared is my motto.

When you bid on Priceline or Hotwire you are bidding per day so why would it matter if you turn it in early? They get the car earlier to rent back out.

Because some lots are not equipped to handle extra cars. They manage the fleet in and out. The size of lots in Orlando probably aren't a problem but it does happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter