3D Movies and Monocular Vision

POB14

Colleen and Mary's BaBa<br><font color=00cc00>Feet
Hi all.

We're planning our first trip to WDW in early November. My younger daughter is 4 and has no vision in one eye. Would this make her experience at 3d movies such at PhilharMagic
a) annoying, :faint:
b) boring, :confused3
c) still OK, :cool1:
d) some combination thereof?

Any other tips for touring the parks with her? She sees fine with the good eye.

She's all about Minnie Mouse, by the way. ::MinnieMo In fact, she claims her middle name is "Minniemousemickeymouse" these days. (It isn't!)

Thanks in advance,
Patrick

Well, I'm not sure what she will see, but I know you can't get the 3D effect with only one eye. I know that without the glasses on, it will be blurry; what I'm not sure is whether it is clear, but not 3D with the glasses. (I always mean to watch with one eye shut for a while to see if it is clear at all, but I usually forget). A lot of the preschool kids don't wear the glasses anyway and seem to be watching.
The music in Philharmagic is great even if she doesn't get the full effect.
Muppets 3D is funny. Honey I Shrunk The Audience and Bug's Life can be scary.

I have numerous visions issues ,one being that my eyes work totally independent of each other. Also, I have very little to no depth perception, astigmitism, scarring in one eye from having shingles as kid in one eye, extreme light sensitivity, poor eyesight, lazy eyes. Watching 3D movies is difficult for me since the 3-D part is all fuzzy and I can't get any of the 3D effect whatsoever. But I still really enjoy the WDW 3D movies since there is a lot of other things going on other then 3D. As an adult, it is still kind of annoying but I think for a 4 year old little girl it would still be a lot of fun and definately worth watching.
DD8 also has depth perception issues (to what extent we don't know yet) and she said the 3D effects didn't work for her either. But she loved the 3D movies at WDW and would not hesitate to watch them again.

Maybe you could take your daughter to one and see what she thinkgs. But as I mentioned the rest of the movie and the music etc are great.
Hopefully someone else will be able to give you more info.

Suzy V.

We found that my DD (who is blind in her right eye) enjoyed the 3-D movies at DL. They use a different technology than the one blue/one red glasses and as far as she told us- she did see in 3D. It's very sad when those 3-D movies come out (like Spy Kids 3D) in the theaters. It's the only time she gets upset about losing that sight.

POB14 said:
My younger daughter is 4 and has no vision in one eye.

the whole show is not always all 3D. the muppets has some "live action" stuff. there are also some other "effects" besides the 3D (smells, feelings) at some of the movies which she might enjoy. (although, i think some kids are too short for some of the other effects.)

C. Still OK.

If you have sight in only one eye you will not see 3D. You may still have depth perception that your mind developed to compensate for the loss of one eye's sight, the same depth perception you have in everyday life. You must wear the 3D glasses in the 3D movies anyway.

For "lazy eye" or for both eyes with sight but working independently of each other, viewing Disney's 3D movies will be difficult but may be "gotten used to" possibly after going back in and seeing the show again several times in quick succession, provided you don't get dizzy and nauseous.

The movie system projects two pictures on the screen at the same time. The 3D glasses "filter" out one of the pictures for each eye using polarization methods. Your eyes still have to line up to make the pictures not look like a double exposure.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Thanks to all - I think we'll give the show(s) a try and let everyone know how it goes.

TiggerCate said:
We found that my DD (who is blind in her right eye) enjoyed the 3-D movies at DL. They use a different technology than the one blue/one red glasses and as far as she told us- she did see in 3D. It's very sad when those 3-D movies come out (like Spy Kids 3D) in the theaters. It's the only time she gets upset about losing that sight.

ITA! I do not have vision in my right eye. Went to a 3-D in a big amusement park last year with the kids. I didn't bother wearing the glasses because I assumed they wouldn't work as they never have in the past. It is very blurry without the glasses. In fact, with the seats moving, it made me kind of sick. This year I tried the glass (same as above, not one red eye and the other blue. But whatever new way they do them.) The film was as plain as I can see normally and it absolutely had the 3-D effect. It was so much fun as I have never seen something like this before :) . It is a great experience especially if you have been left out on seeing those 3-D movies in the past.

I don't know about the depth perception issue. I do have some perception of depth (I can drive, but when I took my eye exam and they clicked my left piece off to read with my right, I could see nothing, not even the light. They did let me use left eye for entire test). BUT I don't have the same depth perception as most people. I am one of those overly cautious drivers. (BTW, just for information of anyone with this same problem..I bought a new Honda Odyssey. It has sensors that tell you when you are too close to something. And it has a camera in the back so you can see what is behind you. I usually have to really crane my neck to get vision from my left eye when backing up. I still do a neck crane check before I start and once and again. This vehicle has made driving (esp. parking) so much easier for me. I think it is the great thing--sorry to go OT). I also break my toes alot. if I am barefoot in the house my foot hits first. I also ran smack into the bed post last night. Hit my face. Point to all this is that I really do have a depth perception problem.
But, with whatever depth perception I have, it definitely looked like things were jumping out of the screen.
Defintely give it a try if they have the new glasses. I think for me just getting to do something like that was more joyous than the ride.

mlwear said:
Defintely give it a try if they have the new glasses. I think for me just getting to do something like that was more joyous than the ride.
I just wanted to mention that all the WDW 3D movies use the polarizing glasses (not the ones with one red lens and one green one). They have always had that kind - even back the first time we went to WDW in 1986.

I think other places/movies might choose the green/red lens because they are less expensive and easier to make (all you need is cardboard glasses with a piece of red film in one side and a piece of green in the other - very inexpensive to make).

mlwear said:
ITA! I do not have vision in my right eye. Went to a 3-D in a big amusement park last year with the kids. I didn't bother wearing the glasses because I assumed they wouldn't work as they never have in the past. It is very blurry without the glasses. In fact, with the seats moving, it made me kind of sick. This year I tried the glass (same as above, not one red eye and the other blue. But whatever new way they do them.) The film was as plain as I can see normally and it absolutely had the 3-D effect. It was so much fun as I have never seen something like this before :) . It is a great experience especially if you have been left out on seeing those 3-D movies in the past.

I am so glad you wrote this. I double checked with my DD last night to make sure she really saw in 3D when we saw the Muppets 3-D. She wanted me to repost to say that she did see in 3D. She said "Mom, you have to tell them!!" I am glad to hear someone else was able to see it, too- and am so glad that Disney uses the better technology.

I really wish they would do the silly kids movies that come to the theater in the new glasses. I know it's more expensive, but if they had to hear how upset my DD was, :sad2: maybe they'd consider the price!

Again, thanks to all. Mlwear, I wonder if what the glasses do is clear up the blurriness for you (because they are filtering out what your other eye should see) and the movie then looks 3D to you. I expect it WOULDN'T look 3D to me, if I closed one eye, because my brain is used to using binocular cues to show depth, whereas your brain (and TiggerCate's daughter's, and my daughter's) is used to using monocular cues.

End of irrelevant and possibly stupid speculation.

Anyway, we'll have her put the glasses on. She wears glasses anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard. (The 3D glasses will fit over regular glasses, won't they? I assume so, or there'd be a lot of angry kids!)

POB14 said:
Anyway, we'll have her put the glasses on. She wears glasses anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard. (The 3D glasses will fit over regular glasses, won't they? I assume so, or there'd be a lot of angry kids!)
::yes::
yes, the 3D glasses do fit over regular glasses of pretty much any size.

POB14 said:
Again, thanks to all. Mlwear, I wonder if what the glasses do is clear up the blurriness for you (because they are filtering out what your other eye should see) and the movie then looks 3D to you. I expect it WOULDN'T look 3D to me, if I closed one eye, because my brain is used to using binocular cues to show depth, whereas your brain (and TiggerCate's daughter's, and my daughter's) is used to using monocular cues.

End of irrelevant and possibly stupid speculation.

I have no idea. Maybe when you are there you can shut one eye for a bit and see what happens. I'd like to know, too.
It certainly looks like things are popping out of the screen, but who knows if what I see is what you do. It's still very cool. I remember being very disappointed as a child when there was a 3-D movie with the different colored lenses and it did nothing. I guess my parents didn't think about it or understand to warn me ahead. It is wonderful that the technique has changed. :goodvibes

What SeashoreCM said was correct ::yes:: I worked on Honey and EO and if you cover one eye up while wearing glasses it will make it so you only see one of the images so it won't be so blurry if you only have vision in one eye. It is not possible to see 3D with vision in only one eye but you will get depth perception. If your child is young it may be a benifit for them not to be able to see the 3D because it scares a lot of kids.
SO have them wear the glasses so the image is not blurry :earseek:
JenJen

I have monocular vision and have had several experiences with 3-D & 4-D attractions. At first, I was always trying to get the 3-D glasses to work (there is absolutely no way of doing this). Then, at EPCOT back in 2002, I finally gave up on this "quest" and started to enjoy the 3-D films for their value. I found that I could enjoy them at a different level than diocular vision people. I think your daughter may be a little startled if she happens to see both of the images in her field of vision. That's what happened to me back in 2002. It was weird but fascinating. I think your daughter may still enjoy PhilharMagic, even if she is experiencing monocular vision.

Nellas Elensar

Here to report my experience at Disney last year with the 3-D movies, since the thread came back up.
After reading some of the posts, all I can tell you is being without vision in one eye I did perceive/see the shows in a different way than I normally see. Now, as I read these posts, I wonder, is it like others do when they see the show? I don't know. :confused3 I can't just open my right eye and get sight for a comparison.
Anyway, I enjoyed the presentation of the 3-D shows whether I saw them as intended to be seen by persons with vision in both eyes or not. It seemed
3-D to me, but maybe I don't know because I haven't ever truly experienced it. Does that make sense. It looked different. It was cool. I loved it. EXCEPT the Muppet Show. I guess it must be older :confused3 and technology not as good? The Muppet Show was like past experiences of wearing 3-D glasses. TiggerCate wrote that it was a good experience for her daughter. I am so glad. :banana: Maybe my eyes were tired.

BTW, it is beyond my capability to imagine what a 4-D movie would be like. I wonder if I watched any and didn't know it. Now, that sounds stupid. But, I am curious to know.

mlwear said:
BTW, it is beyond my capability to imagine what a 4-D movie would be like. I wonder if I watched any and didn't know it. Now, that sounds stupid. But, I am curious to know.
4-D generally means that you're watching a 3-D movie, plus actual physical things are happening (for example, in Muppets 3D when Fozzie squirts water from a flower on his lapel, and the chair in front of you actually squirts water on you).

And a general comment . . . I do not have stereo vision in real life; I have vision in both eyes but my brain lacks the capacity to create stereo images under normal circumstances. I think I see in 3-D under artificial circumstances, which is very interesting to me (ie, Virtual Reality, 3-D movies). I've met a couple other people with the same experience. But of course, as somebody noted earlier, it's impossible for us to know whether we're really seeing the same thing as the rest of you -- vision is in many ways a subjective experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter