2016 Deluxe Dining -- No Appetizers?

I know the 2016 brochure can be changed up to the end of this year, but I don't think it's possible this is a true mistake. Disney could be gauging reaction, etc. and add the appetizer back on, but if they didn't intend to put the brochure out like that, they would have changed it already or at the very least pulled it. Why invite all the calls/chats/hassle unless they're at least considering it? They could call it a "mistake" later if they changed it (I wouldn't recommend getting your hopes up), but two days later and it's still there on the website = no mistake.

I don't think it's possible this is a true mistake. Disney could be gauging reaction, etc. and add the appetizer back on, but if they didn't intend to put the brochure out like that, they would have changed it already or at the very least pulled it.

Oh yes, it's possible.

Does anybody remember at all when Disney sent out a flyer to future guests in 2008 (they year they took the appetizer away from the regular plan) with the entitlements spelled out for the regular plan including the appetizer? And the folks who were going to wave that flyer at every restaurant they went to and demand their appetizer? I think it's totally within Disney's character that they would wait to change the brochure. But who knows, they might get tired of angry calls and emails.

The thing is, they would have to physically remove that wording from the brochure. That makes it highly unlikely that it was an error.

The appetizer being included for in room dining is still unexplained, correct? Personally, I think the DxDDP plan brochure is a hot mess of poor editing and that is the reason I thought it could be a mistake initially. It appeared they used a lot of C&P from the standard DDP. I wouldn't be surprised if they tinker with it (but I think it is more likely they will remove the appetizer from that section than add it back anywhere else, unfortunately).

Oh yes, it's possible.

Does anybody remember at all when Disney sent out a flyer to future guests in 2008 (they year they took the appetizer away from the regular plan) with the entitlements spelled out for the regular plan including the appetizer? And the folks who were going to wave that flyer at every restaurant they went to and demand their appetizer? I think it's totally within Disney's character that they would wait to change the brochure. But who knows, they might get tired of angry calls and emails.

I remember it well. That was why we upgraded to DxDDP for the first time that year.

The appetizer being included for in room dining is still unexplained, correct? Personally, I think the DxDDP plan brochure is a hot mess of poor editing and that is the reason I thought it could be a mistake initially. It appeared they used a lot of C&P from the standard DDP. I wouldn't be surprised if they tinker with it (but I think it is more likely they will remove the appetizer from that section than add it back anywhere else, unfortunately).
If (and this is just a guess on my part), the goal for removing the app is faster turnover for tables, I can see them leaving it in the in room option.

I know the 2016 brochure can be changed up to the end of this year, but I don't think it's possible this is a true mistake. Disney could be gauging reaction, etc. and add the appetizer back on, but if they didn't intend to put the brochure out like that, they would have changed it already or at the very least pulled it. Why invite all the calls/chats/hassle unless they're at least considering it? They could call it a "mistake" later if they changed it (I wouldn't recommend getting your hopes up), but two days later and it's still there on the website = no mistake.
There are folks who make the rules, folks who make collateral (the brochure), folks who publish it on the website, and folks who answer the phones. I doubt any of them care if they've made a whole lot of extra work for someone else.

It's possible the folks who made the brochure haven't been notified of any mistake yet. Or they're trying to get ahold of the folks who make to rules to double check. And the folks who put publish to the website may only have a once-a-week or every-other-week schedule for making changes.

All we know right now is that if you ask two different people, you'll get three different answers, all with the same authority and confidence.

If removal of appetizers from the DxDP is true, it absolutely KILLS any interest I'll ever have in purchasing it again.

I was actually considering purchasing it for our next trip, even though I figured we'd probably barely break even on it (under the assumption that appetizers would be included). There's something to be said for the all-inclusive feel the plan provides but I'm not willing to pay a premium to get that feel.

With appetizers removed, the math for the DxDP just doesn't work (especially if you have more Disney adults than Disney children in your party).

For example, our group is three Disney adults and one Disney child. On a typical day, we do a character breakfast and a signature dinner. If the average character breakfast costs $30 per Disney adult and $20 per Disney child, it's about $110 for us (not including tip).

For us, the average signature dinner, with appetizers, entrees, desserts, and soft drinks, typically runs about $70 per Disney adult and $25 per Disney child, so, for us, it's about $235 (not including tip). Eight snacks at $5 a pop is $40 per day. So our OOP costs for a day's worth of current DxDP entitlements run about $385. Our per day cost for the DxDP under the current plan is about $360.

One day cost for the 2016 plan for our party is just over $367. But removing appetizers removes at least $40 per day worth of entitlements. So, for us, it's as if the per day cost of the plan was effectively increased to at least $407 (a 13% increase!). I can do a lot better OOP (especially since we can live without two snacks per person per day).

To me, these changes reflect Disney banking on ignorance. Ignorance about the cost of the plan versus paying OOP. Or ignorance in people assuming they'll have the appetite (and time) for 3 TS meals a day. Or ignorance in not being aware that Disney removed appetizers.

They'll probably extract more profit from the first time visitor with this strategy. But I think they'll lose a lot of DxDP bookings from repeat guests.

I agree, if they drop appetizers from the Deluxe plan, we won't be purchasing it in the future and will cancel the plan we've got booked for next year as well. The annual pass and Tables in Wonderland would be a better option for us in that case.

If I were eligible for TiW, I would take that over any of the dining plans. Our wine and cocktail budget is, well, it's a lot!

In the UK you must purchase your Disney tickets at the same time as booking your package to be eligible for free dining, so the TIW isn't something we can take advantage of (unless we bought a separate AP of course). If we could I would certainly use one.

In the UK you must purchase your Disney tickets at the same time as booking your package to be eligible for free dining, so the TIW isn't something we can take advantage of (unless we bought a separate AP of course). If we could I would certainly use one.

It works that way in the US, too. Lots of people will take this tickets and apply the cost towards the purchase of an AP. It doesn't have to be separate.

There are folks who make the rules, folks who make collateral (the brochure), folks who publish it on the website, and folks who answer the phones. I doubt any of them care if they've made a whole lot of extra work for someone else.

It's possible the folks who made the brochure haven't been notified of any mistake yet. Or they're trying to get ahold of the folks who make to rules to double check. And the folks who put publish to the website may only have a once-a-week or every-other-week schedule for making changes.

All we know right now is that if you ask two different people, you'll get three different answers, all with the same authority and confidence.
I get that the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing, but there really should be a brain somewhere sorting things out. Maybe that's asking too much...:rolleyes:

Well, I stand corrected as there's either a mistake or Disney is flat-out intentionally putting out incorrect information as was pointed out last night on the sticky. The same brochure in French says appetizer still included. So go ahead and hope Disney told us English speakers wrong instead of the French speakers! :rolleyes2

New
The thing is, they would have to physically remove that wording from the brochure. That makes it highly unlikely that it was an error.

If they create the brochures by a copy and paste method, then it's possible they just forgot to change the entitlements from regular to deluxe. But we don't know. None of us know exactly why the deluxe brochure says that, because Disney hasn't bothered to release anything to the Disney Parks blog or any other way they do it that says "the deluxe plan will be changing this year, there won't be an appetizer included." But they haven't so we have to wait and see what happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter