2016 Deluxe Dining -- No Appetizers?

Last edited:
What about the fact that there are less restaurants on both handouts? Many places are not even on the list that are on the list this year. Will they add the others in later?

What about the fact that there are less restaurants on both handouts? Many places are not even on the list that are on the list this year. Will they add the others in later?
Yes, this happens every year. It takes awhile to get all of the contracts negotiated with the non Disney owned restaurants.

Well so much for the DxDDP. We never purchase it because as a family we would not spend that much on dining, even when we consider the additional appetizers we buy, and the OOP meals we have because we are always over on our Dining credits. This year we decided to include it on one room and the regular DDP on other, and then see how it worked for us, but I can say that unless there are changes next year, we will never buy it again.

I keep trying to figure out where Disney is going in terms of packages and their seeming push to an all inclusive resort experience. Today, you can share TS credits, pool children adn adult credits, and get your soup instead f that cupcake! Now will you buy our plan??? Tomorrow, we are snatching the appetizer, giving you soup. Still want to pay more? Whoever is making decisions needs to take a beginners class in consumer behavior, because I think they are over estimating Disney Guests willingness to continue to spend more for less.

Well so much for the DxDDP. We never purchase it because as a family we would not spend that much on dining, even when we consider the additional appetizers we buy, and the OOP meals we have because we are always over on our Dining credits. This year we decided to include it on one room and the regular DDP on other, and then see how it worked for us, but I can say that unless there are changes next year, we will never buy it again.

I keep trying to figure out where Disney is going in terms of packages and their seeming push to an all inclusive resort experience. Today, you can share TS credits, pool children adn adult credits, and get your soup instead f that cupcake! Now will you buy our plan??? Tomorrow, we are snatching the appetizer, giving you soup. Still want to pay more? Whoever is making decisions needs to take a beginners class in consumer behavior, because I think they are over estimating Disney Guests willingness to continue to spend more for less.
I think there will be a significant decrease in the amount of DxDP purchased, but here's where I think Disney is going...

2015 DxDP almost certainly saves you a significant amount of money compared to OOP costs if you use every entitlement and would purchase that amount of food anyway. Many people have reported the DxDP saving them hundreds; whether they would eat the same things at the same places if not on the plan is of course questionable.
2016 DxDP is putting it more on par with regular DDP and QSDP in that you might save money, lose money, or break even depending on how and where you use the credits. Disney has learned that many people want these prepaid dining plans for convenience whether or not it saves them any money.

If people want apps, Disney will let them know that they are more than welcome to pay for them OOP or upgrade to the more truly all-inclusive Premium/Platinum packages.

Lots of people are making the assertion that they will spend less money on Disney dining by not buying the plan with this change, but that doesn't necessarily mean Disney will lose money on them. If people will stay offsite and buy food offsite maybe, if Disney can't fill that room or restaurant. But if they go to the same place and order less food: Disney's food cost decreases and table turnover increases.

The thing that seems like a poor decision to me is the roughly $2 increase for DxDP while taking away the app. They should have left the price alone since they're taking away value. That small of a price increase is likely negligible in terms of Disney's bottom line, but it may cement in people's minds that Disney is charging more for less.

If they see a significant drop in DxDP purchases, they'll reconsider, but I would guess it'll be some time as they have to let the dust settle to see how much damage removing the appetizer does.

If they see a significant drop in DxDP purchases, they'll reconsider, but I would guess it'll be some time as they have to let the dust settle to see how much damage removing the appetizer does.

But the change won't take affect until Jan, and people who have purchased the plan in the past but don't visit these boards or others will likely still purchase the plan for now. I doubt Disney will see any ramifications until Feb/Mar 2016 once they've had a month of complaints from people who didn't read the new fine print before purchasing. By then, I'm sure there will be something else capturing our attention, and this will quietly go the way Disney wants it...more money, less food.

But the change won't take affect until Jan, and people who have purchased the plan in the past but don't visit these boards or others will likely still purchase the plan for now. I doubt Disney will see any ramifications until Feb/Mar 2016 once they've had a month of complaints from people who didn't read the new fine print before purchasing. By then, I'm sure there will be something else capturing our attention, and this will quietly go the way Disney wants it...more money, less food.

Right, absolutely, yes, I totally agree. This will really mess up people for the next nine months or so at least. Very unfortuanate.

If people willingly pay hundreds or thousands of dollars without easily checking what they are paying for, they deserve to get blindsided by the change. I think most people will check the details before buying, and those who don't only have themselves to blame. Just like when the second snack was removed from the QSDP. At least with that, they didn't raise the price at all that year, but it still was less value for the money.

Disappointing. Planned on getting this for next fall (probably still will)... We never ever get dessert when ever we go out but always get an app. At least let the customer choose if they want an app or dessert

you can substitute your dessert for specified side items offered by the restaurant (but not any appetizer from the menu).

My friend who works at Disney says brochure is correct except that it will be updated as restaurants are added. And she claims that one of the reasons is the contract restaurants were balking so this was partially a carrot to get them onboard with the reimbursement.

You will not be able to substitute deserts for appetizers as the cost of appetizers is generally much higher then deserts.

This year is no different from any other year as far as the contractor restaurants - they do this every year. You won't see them added until December. Are they specifically balking this year?

And yes, now apparently you CAN sub your dessert for something like a side salad, cup of soup or a fruit or vegetable side offering - but of course the restaurant gets to pick what it will offer as a substitute, you don't.

That stinks! We did DxDP for our April trip and thoroughly enjoyed it, including sampling the delicious apps at many signature restaurants. I doubt I would pay OOP for my meals, but may be more likely just to do DDP as opposed to DxDP for our next trip.

I am really glad that we are doing DxDP this upcoming September. We love the plan, but without the apps we won't be doing it again.

I am not a big "rally the troops" person about many Disney changes but I do hope those of us who use and enjoy the DxDDP, shoot email to Disney and let them know our disappointment.

I wasn't planning on upgrading to DxDDP this next trip for various reasons, but I am gonna crunch the numbers today and see if one final hurrah makes sense for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter