• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2016 - 2017 School Vacation Weeks - by State

This is why I assume Spring Break in general starts in March and is almost certainly done with by Memorial Day. Serves me well! Except that DH's birthday is 3/22 LOL.

PA varies by district. According to one website there are at least 500 districts. This doesn't include private and parochial schools.

Our Georgia county has fall break the last week of September (9-25 to 10-1). We do spring break the first week of April this year and winter break the week of President's Day.

Georgia may affect crowds more than some other states simply because it is so convenient for us to get down to Florida. As soon as we have a school break, it seems that half the state heads south.

Our Georgia county has fall break the last week of September (9-25 to 10-1). We do spring break the first week of April this year and winter break the week of President's Day.

Georgia may affect crowds more than some other states simply because it is so convenient for us to get down to Florida. As soon as we have a school break, it seems that half the state heads south.

Great info! Wondered why last Sept, it felt a little more crowded than what all the "crowd calendars" predicted (though, I read about 4 and they were all very different). Didnt realize GA had a break in September. Thanks!

In South Carolina it can vary by school district. For our district in central South Carolina, spring break for 2017 is from April 10 through April 17.

Southern New Hampshire (Sanborn School District):
October - 10th off, so long weekend
November - 4th off, so long weekend - 11th off, so long weekend - 23-25 off, so really long weekend
December/Jan - 23 Dec-2 Jan
January - 16th off, so long weekend
February/March - 27 Feb-3 March
March - 17th off, so long weekend
April - 24-28
May - 29th off, so long weekend
June - 15th current last day

Shoreline Connecticut has breaks:
Nov. 21-25 (21/22 are half days)
Dec 23-Jan 2
Feb 17-21
April 10-14

Great info! Wondered why last Sept, it felt a little more crowded than what all the "crowd calendars" predicted (though, I read about 4 and they were all very different). Didnt realize GA had a break in September. Thanks!

Fall breaks are fairly new to Georgia and many like ours really doesn't have one. Ours is a four day weekend in October.

Georgia dates vary by district. August start dates are all over about a three week period and some private not til after Labor Day. Our breaks vary as well. Our county even offers 3-4 day weekends to random schools (budget thing). Many slip away and WDW is a close destination.

With 150+ county districts plus city districts you just can't pinpoint the state to specific dates other than Thanksgiving and between Christmas Day and New Years Day with varying dates before/after. Years ago when our kids were in school the spring breaks were not in sync because they never seemed to have the same week as their cousins but these days the major Atlanta districts seem to be April 3-7 week.

We have many private schools and most have spring break in March but they are all over the place different weeks.

Looking at 9 large metro Atlanta school districts:
- Fall break: 4 have no break, 3 are the week of Sept 26, 1 week of Sept 19, 1 a four day weekend Oct 10 & 11.
- Feb break: 4 have week of Feb 20th, 5 have 4-5 day weekends around the 20th. Some of these days are designated "snow" makeup days.
Several have additional 4 day weekends in March or otherwise depending on their start dates etc.

Last edited:
GA varies by County. However, having said that, Christmas Break, Spring Break and Thanksgiving Break are fairly standard across.

Fall Break 2016: Oct 6 - 10 (5-day Columbus Day weekend)
Thanksgiving 2016: Nov 19 - 27 (whole week)
Christmas 2016: Dec 21 - Jan 3 (2 weeks)
Winter Break 2017: Feb 17 - 20 (4-day President's weekend)
Spring Break 2017: April 1 - 9 (whole week)
Last Day of Class: May 26
Summer: May 27 - Aug 6

Fall Break 2017: Oct 5 - 9 (5-day Columbus Day weekend)
Thanksgiving 2017: Nov 18 - 26 (whole week)
Christmas 2017: Dec 21 - Jan 3 (2 weeks)
Winter Break 2018: Feb 16 - 19 (4-day President's weekend)
Spring Break 2018: March 31 - April 8 (whole week)
Last Day of Class 2018: May 25

Great info! Wondered why last Sept, it felt a little more crowded than what all the "crowd calendars" predicted (though, I read about 4 and they were all very different). Didnt realize GA had a break in September. Thanks![/QUOTE
it varies. I am in georgia and our fall break is the week of October 17. it hasn't been in September for about 4 years

It's a great idea but the list is likely to get unmanageable. Unfortunately, with every district setting their own schedules you get too many variables. Heck, in some places you have city and county schools in the same county, with different schedules.
I'll contribute for our area, Hamilton County in East TN
Fall break - 10/7 to 10/14 (Friday to Friday)
Thanksgiving break - 11/23 to 11/25
Winter break - 12/16 to 1/4
Spring break - 3/17 to 3/24 (Friday to Friday)
Last day of school - 5/24

It's a great idea but the list is likely to get unmanageable. Unfortunately, with every district setting their own schedules you get too many variables. Heck, in some places you have city and county schools in the same county, with different schedules.
I'll contribute for our area, Hamilton County in East TN
Fall break - 10/7 to 10/14 (Friday to Friday)
Thanksgiving break - 11/23 to 11/25
Winter break - 12/16 to 1/4
Spring break - 3/17 to 3/24 (Friday to Friday)
Last day of school - 5/24

Hey neighbor! I'm in west TN (Shelby County) and we are almost exactly the same. Our Spring Break is a week earlier (3/11-3/19) and we get out half a day on 5/26.

But totally agree, we are likely to have every week mentioned at some point because of variances in break from district to district.

Florida districts don't all have the exact same dates for breaks so this is for
Miami-Dade County. (Going by Monday-Friday)

Thanksgiving break: Nov 23-25
Christmas break: Dec 26-Jan 6
Spring break: April 10-14
Last day: June 8

We also have off Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Presidents' Day, MLK bday, and Memorial Day.

I'm afraid you can't group all of Canada together. Like the US, difference provinces have different school schedules. In B.C. our winter break is Dec 19-Jan 3 and our Spring Break is March 13-24

Yes, Ive seen the crowd calendars. They all vary ...Prep School, Undercover Tourist, Touring Plans, Easy WDW, Your First Visit etc...etc... They all vary. For the week Im thinking of going, last week of March, some have a green light, others have black or Red.

I get I wont get an exact vacation list, but if 27 states have vacation 03/27 and only 14 have 04/03, then maybe it would be easiest to see that while both are busy weeks, maybe the April dates will be a little less busy...just trying to get a glimpse.

Michigan: Varies by county, some schools have mid-winter break - my kids only have 1 day Feb 20th.
Winter Break 2016 - Dec 24 to Jan 8th
Spring Break 2017 - April 1 to April 9th
Last Day - June 15th

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter