2016 - 2017 School Vacation Weeks - by State

In NE Florida and my daughter (K-12), myself (University), and my husband (state college) have spring break March 20 - 24.
My daughter's Christmas break is December 19th - January 8th. :)

If I can join in :)
England dates (as there are an awful lots of Brits on vacation in Florida :cool1:)
Vacation dates below - although there are some slight regional variations

October 24th - October 28th (1 week autumn break)
December 18th - January 3rd (2 weeks xmas)
February 20th - February 24th (1 week February half term)
April 10th - April 24th (2 weeks Easter)
May 29th - June 2nd (1 week half term break)
July 25th - September 4th (6 weeks summer break)

I love comparing holidays and wish we had the long summer breaks that you get to enjoy. Our summer break (6 weeks) is the only time of year we consider coming to Florida now that my daughter is in school. Because of distance we like to come for at least 3 weeks. Last year we came for five. Trying to convince my husband that 5 weeks would be a good plan for next year - wish me luck in convincing him lol

The only dates that are for sure closed for all districts in Minnesota are October 20-21, 2016. The timing is the same every year for the state teachers' conference - Thursday and Friday of the third week of October.

Otherwise, Minnesota schools vary for every other break (Winter/holiday, spring, etc).

Mobile County in Alabama's Vacation Weeks are as follows:

November 21-25 for Thanksgiving
December 17 - January 4 for Christmas
February 27 - March 3 for Mardi Gras
April 10-14 for Spring Break
June 2 - Last Day of School/Summer Break Begins

I'm in NJ. Southern NJ, about 5 minutes from Philly. Every district is different but for the most part our area is the same, including the Philly area.

Jersey week of course. 11/7-11/11. 11/7 and 11/9 are half days. 11/8 closed for election day and then 11/10 and 11/11 are closed for NJEA convention. LOTS of kids will just be away that week with only two half days of school.

Thanksgiving. 11/23 half day. 11/24 and 11/25 school closed.

Christmas. 12/23 half day. 12/26-1/2 school closed.

Spring break. 4/14-4/21

Our snow days are built in. If we don't use them the kids get a 4-5 day weekend for Memorial Day.

Last day is June 16. We started the day after Labor Day.

Last edited:
Ohio spring breaks vary by district. Ours in NW OH is March 13-17 while my niece in the next district over is March 20-24 My kids then also are off Friday April 14 and Monday April 17 for Easter break.

I'm in Southern MI, and our county started before Labor Day.
Nov: 24-27 Thanksgiving, 22 & 23 are half days
Dec: 23 - Jan 8 Winter Break
Feb: 17-20
Mar: 31 - Apr 9 Spring Break

I get I wont get an exact vacation list, but if 27 states have vacation 03/27 and only 14 have 04/03

But if those 27 "states" are only a few districts and the 14 involve most districts, it's going to be wrong.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Im hoping to get all states! Keep them coming!!

Since so many of us have told you that our state varies by district I'm not totally sure getting each state is going to give you the info you need.

A 20 minute drive from my house gives three entirely different districts. On a good traffic day there could be 4. Add another 5 minutes and it's 5. With different break schedules.

NYC schools days off:
October 3,4,10,12
NOV: 8,11, 24-25
Dec: 26-Jan 2nd winter break
Jan:16
Feb: 20-24 midwinter break
April: 10-18 spring break
June: 8,12,26
Last day of school June 28th. School is probably starting 9/7

Northwest Arkansas here

Thanksgiving: November 23-25
Christmas: December 21-January 3
Spring Break: March 17-24
Easter: April 14 & 17th
Last day of school- May 25th

I live in Rhode Island. Breaks are on a town by town basis, but pretty typically to have the week between x-mas and new years, one week in Feb and one week in April.
Our breaks are as follows:

Dec 23 - Jan 2
Feb 20 - 24
April 14 - 21

Last day of school June 15, which means more likely between the 17 and 23rd based on 2 to 5 snow days being typical.

Just a heads-up, because it is contrary to your information in your first post. In Michigan, there is no standard spring break. You have April 2nd-8th, which may be true of some districts and even counties around Metro Detroit, but our school district and several others have break over Easter, so the dates for 2017 are Fri, April 14- Sun, April 23.

North Carolina is all over the place. The school district my kids go to down east has spring break from April 17-21. However, I did a quick search, and a district in the western part of the state has spring break from April 2-6. Wake County Schools (Raleigh) has April 10-14. And some districts have a year-round school schedule. I think it's safe to say that for each week in April, there are some NC schools on break.

We'll be on break so was thinking of coming down 4/8-4/16 but based on these responses though its looking like its going to be a packed that week. Just wondering how it'll compare to Jersey week (11/4-11/12)???

Nova Scotia, Canada

Primary to Grade 12 (high school):

Dec 22-Jan 3 Christmas, March 13-17 Spring break, April 14 & 17 Easter, June 30 last day of school
Now, there are lots of Fridays, Mondays and Holidays that are one-offs throughout the year.

Universities:

Nov 9-11 Reading week, Dec 17-Jan 4 Christmas, Feb 20-25 spring break, April 14 & 17 Easter), April 19 last day - Not every University is off on Spring Break at the same time, the week fluctuates 1 week prior or after what's noted. I highly doubt Easter break will be busy on our end as students will be writing final exams starting April 3 until the 19th.

We'll be on break so was thinking of coming down 4/8-4/16 but based on these responses though its looking like its going to be a packed that week. Just wondering how it'll compare to Jersey week (11/4-11/12)???

April 16 is Easter, and since it's so late, I expect lots of schools are doing the week BEFORE Easter instead of the week after. It will be a zoo. Jersey week will be busy, but definitely better than Easter.

Here in western Kentucky, Fall Break for our particular school district is always the first full week of October (this year it's the 3rd-7th), though there are rumors of doing away with it next year. Spring Break is always the first full week in April.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter