2015 FREE DINING THREAD _ All Questions HERE!!

We have just now decided to go to WDW for Christmas! I just read that Free Dining is offered and I see some availability, but I have a few questions. This thread is 170 pages or I would read through it and figure this out on my own. We want to do a split stay and go to "the other place" this time for a couple of days, so we are thinking only 3 nights staying on property. Can I get Free dining with a 3 night stay? It seems like it is letting me but I read somewhere 5 night minimum? Also, if we stay at POP but want the regular Dining PLan how much is it to upgrade? We want to do some character dining. Lastly, do you have to do the park hopper or Waterpark and more for the whole stay?

Thanks!

We have just now decided to go to WDW for Christmas! I just read that Free Dining is offered and I see some availability, but I have a few questions. This thread is 170 pages or I would read through it and figure this out on my own. We want to do a split stay and go to "the other place" this time for a couple of days, so we are thinking only 3 nights staying on property. Can I get Free dining with a 3 night stay? It seems like it is letting me but I read somewhere 5 night minimum? Also, if we stay at POP but want the regular Dining PLan how much is it to upgrade? We want to do some character dining. Lastly, do you have to do the park hopper or Waterpark and more for the whole stay?

Thanks!
The minimum stay for free dining is 3 nights. You have to choose park hopper or water park and more to get the free dining. Either option is a flat rate of $64 per person no matter how many days you apply it too. The cost to upgrade the dining plan is about $19 per adult per day and about $4 per kid (ages 3-9) per day.

So excited! Just snagged the BOG lunch I've been trying to snag for a while!!! I've been obsessively checking several times a day and just took a moment to check and there one was on that date! :faint: So happy, we've now got everything we wanted! Definitely made my kind of cruddy day much much better!!! :banana:

I'm getting a little nervous. I think we are going to have to drop a day at the beginning of our FD package. So far its not showing any availability for me to do this.
1) After the offer expires in a few days, am I stuck with that extra day?
2) What happens if we just don't show up that first night? I'm ok paying for it if I have to, just don't want to get there and find out they cancelled my entire stay (although we would of course call and say our travel was delayed)

So excited! Just snagged the BOG lunch I've been trying to snag for a while!!! I've been obsessively checking several times a day and just took a moment to check and there one was on that date! :faint: So happy, we've now got everything we wanted! Definitely made my kind of cruddy day much much better!!! :banana:

SO did i!! i was thrilled to finally get the BOG for lunch!!! Super Excited with ya!! :yay:

I'm getting a little nervous. I think we are going to have to drop a day at the beginning of our FD package. So far its not showing any availability for me to do this.
1) After the offer expires in a few days, am I stuck with that extra day?
2) What happens if we just don't show up that first night? I'm ok paying for it if I have to, just don't want to get there and find out they cancelled my entire stay (although we would of course call and say our travel was delayed)
No, you can still switch dates after the offer ends, but you will have to call, no way to check online. I added a day on to our free dining 60 days out last year, months after the offer ended.

okay, I need help. We are booked for free dining and 5 day park hoppers with 4 night stay at Caribbean Beach with me, my 18 yr old son, and 3 year old daughter.

The 18 yr old son does not want to go in the parks. He does want to go to Universal and he does drive. We are taking my SUV down.

Can I:

1. Drop him off reservation entirely - save $?
2. Leave him on and eat the cost of his ticket. Book more meals at DTD or resort.
3. Leave him on and drop all tickets to 2 day park hoppers. Then upgrade me and baby to 5 day hoppers?

What is possible to help me save money and budget him extra for Universal?

okay, I need help. We are booked for free dining and 5 day park hoppers with 4 night stay at Caribbean Beach with me, my 18 yr old son, and 3 year old daughter.

The 18 yr old son does not want to go in the parks. He does want to go to Universal and he does drive. We are taking my SUV down.

Can I:

2. Leave him on and eat the cost of his ticket. Book more meals at DTD or resort.
3. Leave him on and drop all tickets to 2 day park hoppers. Then upgrade me and baby to 5 day hoppers?

If you leave the reservation as is and your son does not go to the disney parks, his ticket is still good for the future. Unused tickets do not expire. You could save a little money by dropping the tickets to the 2 days and then adding on as you need. Again you will still have the unused ticket for a future visit. Then you would still have the dining credits for all 3 of you. Your son may want to use some credits at night for the food court or to grab a to go snack in the morning.

If you leave the reservation as is and your son does not go to the disney parks, his ticket is still good for the future. Unused tickets do not expire. You could save a little money by dropping the tickets to the 2 days and then adding on as you need. Again you will still have the unused ticket for a future visit. Then you would still have the dining credits for all 3 of you. Your son may want to use some credits at night for the food court or to grab a to go snack in the morning.

That is a good option. I am sure we will be back lol. I think I have been to Disney for the last time 5 times or so already lol.

Can I:

1. I think you may be able to drop him off the reservation and then add him back on when you arrive. He would not receive any dining credits this way, but you wouldn't need to purchase a ticket for him either.
2. This you can definitely do and, as G719 pointed out, you wouldn't exactly be eating the ticket cost as you would have an unused 5-day hopper to use in the future even if you are out the money now. My understanding is that unused tickets can be transferred, only used tickets cannot. So you could use it yourself in the future if your son has no interest in a future Disney trip. There are lots of nice resort and DTD meals if you want to do this and eat together.
3. Only do this if you don't care about getting the high-demand fastpasses. If you and your daughter only have 2-day tickets, you'll only be able to make fastpasses for two days until you upgrade the tickets. And by then, your fastpass choices will be much more limited.

Can I:

1. You are allowed to add people to your reservation but, you can not drop them or you need to rebook.
2. I would leave him on and he can use the ticket at a later time. (I honestly am not sure that this ticket can be transferred because in this package it is linked directly to his name. I would ask Disney.). He can eat breakfast in the resort before he leaves in the mornings and eat dinner with you and your daughter in DTD or the resort after he returns.
3. Everyone in the room must be booked on the same package. With that being said, I am not sure about upgrading just 2 of the 3 on the same reservation.

Good luck to you and have a great time!!

make sure he is on your reservation at some point so you can get his magicband and FastPasses.

I would like to add an extra day to the beginning of our FD reservation at POR. The new date is in the qualifying dates for free dining, however, a FD room isn't available. Am I at the mercy of someone cancelling a FD room in order for me to add another FD day?

What happens if one doesn't come available before July 10th? Will I still be able to add a FD day if one is cancelled?

What is the likelihood of one cancelling at this point? I am at day 75.

TIA.

Can you wise people help me out? We've decided to splurge and switch from CBR to BC for our October vacay, checking in 10/25. I was able to book at BC from 10/25-10/30, but we are planning to stay until 11/1. Will it be possible to add on days with FD if those last two nights become available at BC? I am assuming Disney is not discounting BC as much as other deluxes ((boo, Disney!) based on current offers, so we will come out a little ahead if we get FD vs a RO offer.

PS-- I haven't released our CBR package yet if anybody wants to try and coordinate. 10/25-31 standard view.

This is off topic, but are there ever any discounts on rooms that cover 12/25-1/2 period? Or are they always the full rack rate?

This is off topic, but are there ever any discounts on rooms that cover 12/25-1/2 period? Or are they always the full rack rate?

While there HAVE been discounts during that time (I got a great AP discount one year during that week), it's not likely. That is the single busiest week of the year at the Disney parks.

I would like to add an extra day to the beginning of our FD reservation at POR. The new date is in the qualifying dates for free dining, however, a FD room isn't available. Am I at the mercy of someone cancelling a FD room in order for me to add another FD day?

What happens if one doesn't come available before July 10th? Will I still be able to add a FD day if one is cancelled?

What is the likelihood of one cancelling at this point? I am at day 75.

TIA.

Yes you are. The whole stay has to have availability for you to re-book.

I dont believe you will be able to past July 10th, because in order to add one day you need to re-book which would be considered a new package.

With two days left I wouldnt hold my breath. But, crazier things have happened. If one doesn't pop up in the next two days I would just book a room for the night without FD and keep the FD package you currently have.

Yes you are. The whole stay has to have availability for you to re-book.

I dont believe you will be able to past July 10th, because in order to add one day you need to re-book which would be considered a new package.

With two days left I wouldnt hold my breath. But, crazier things have happened. If one doesn't pop up in the next two days I would just book a room for the night without FD and keep the FD package you currently have.

Thanks. That is what I figured. I have decided we will stay at POP and as a silver lining, I probably won't link those reservations which should get us an extra set of magic bands.

@Imtravis FYI....I was able to add on to my free dining package long after the special was over. We stayed in December and I added a day in November. People cancel free dining and if something is opened up and you have a reservation already you can add on to it. You have to call and ask about adding. You can not do that on-line after the date for offering it is up. I was shooting for 2 extra nights and ended up getting 1 of them. You just have to keep trying. Good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter