(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they provide regular cribs or pack n plays at the GF? My granddaughter is on the long side and I dont think she will be as comfortable in a pack n play…but if they dont have cribs we will manage. Just wondering if they offer a real crib here.

I believe it is just a pack and play but many people have had success renting a crib. Someone can chime in with the company but that may be a better option. I know my ds will not sleep in a pnp. Never would as an infant either so it depends on the baby.

The standard RPC king I believe is a smaller room, I haven't actually been in it, so can't say from experience. The deluxe king turret rooms have a walk in closet that you may be able to put a small crib in but I think a full size would be tight. The turret rooms are by request only so you could end up on the 2ND floor.The rooms in the atrium side facing the poly are a little larger. Some of them have a hallway connecting the bedroom to bathroom that you could put a crib in . You would have to walk through it to get to the bathroom though.

I believe it is just a pack and play but many people have had success renting a crib. Someone can chime in with the company but that may be a better option. I know my ds will not sleep in a pnp. Never would as an infant either so it depends on the baby.

Thanks, we are doing a split stay at CR for 4 nights and then moving to the GF for 4 nights. I was hoping to get a real crib at the GF. May check into renting. Im dreading being in one room with us all. She definitely sleeps better when she is in a room by herself :)

Hi all! We may be staying at GF for the first time and I have a few questions.

1. We'd be Club Level - Outer Building - Standard room. Do you know which outer buildings have Club Level? And what floor is the CL lounge on? If you've stayed CL at Poly or YC, how does CL at a GF outer building compare?
2. Is there an video game arcade at GF?
3. The last time we were at WDW, we stayed at the Polynesian and the GF was under major construction (the DVC building and one of the pools I think?). It seems like Gasparilla Grille was just refurbished. Do you know if there is anything under construction at GF now or throughout the spring 2017?
4. Is there still a walking path between GF and Poly?
5. Are there outdoor movies at GF?
6. Is the gym open for use at GF?
7. How deep are the pools? Is there one with a slide?

Thanks for any help! I'm slowly making my way through the 300+ pages but it's going to take a while. I'm loving all the information on this thread, thank you to all who post!

Could someone please explain the following question for me? I don't understand why someone would want to spend $300-$500 (or more) US dollars per night on a deluxe room "just for the experience", when they could save a ton of money on a value or moderate resort, for the same experience? I've stayed off-property (which I will never do again) and I've also stayed on-property many times, and I find that if I stay in either a value or moderate resort, I think I would get the same immersion as in a deluxe. That is not to say that one day I'd love to stay in the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, or Boardwalk, but that'll have to wait until I win the lottery. What is your reasoning behind spending so much money on a hotel room?

@dan40 - We like staying at the GF for a multitude of reasons. We tend to enjoy TS meals and there are many choices here for that. We have a 45 second monorail ride to the MK, and have the option of taking a launch as well in either direction. The rooms are much larger and give us more space to spread out. We have a balcony to enjoy our morning coffee or evening cocktail on. There is a gym. We have easy access from there to several of the other deluxe resorts for cocktails or meals. Since we don't have young children, the spectacular theming geared towards families with young children at the values, don't appeal to us. We prefer a smaller resort both in size and capacity -- the GF is very quiet. We don't have to ride around for 6 bus stops before we finally leave our resort.

Tom

Hi all! We may be staying at GF for the first time and I have a few questions.

1. We'd be Club Level - Outer Building - Standard room. Do you know which outer buildings have Club Level? And what floor is the CL lounge on? If you've stayed CL at Poly or YC, how does CL at a GF outer building compare?
2. Is there an video game arcade at GF?
3. The last time we were at WDW, we stayed at the Polynesian and the GF was under major construction (the DVC building and one of the pools I think?). It seems like Gasparilla Grille was just refurbished. Do you know if there is anything under construction at GF now or throughout the spring 2017?
4. Is there still a walking path between GF and Poly?
5. Are there outdoor movies at GF?
6. Is the gym open for use at GF?
7. How deep are the pools? Is there one with a slide?

Thanks for any help! I'm slowly making my way through the 300+ pages but it's going to take a while. I'm loving all the information on this thread, thank you to all who post!

The Outer Building CL is Sugarloaf.
I believe there is an arcade next to Gasparillas
No construction currently ongoing -- I will confirm that in 10 days.
Yes, there is a nice walking path, which takes about 10 minutes between the GF and the Poly. Usually on our Epcot days we will walk over the Poly for breakfast at Kona's Café, and then we will walk to the TTC and take the monorail to Epcot.
Yes, weather permitted there is a giant blow up screen for movies.
Yes, there is a gym, you need to use your magic band to get access.
There is a water slide at the main pool, I'm not sure about the beach pool -- I don't think the pool is deeper than 5 feet.

Tom

@dan40 - We like staying at the GF for a multitude of reasons. We tend to enjoy TS meals and there are many choices here for that. We have a 45 second monorail ride to the MK, and have the option of taking a launch as well in either direction. The rooms are much larger and give us more space to spread out. We have a balcony to enjoy our morning coffee or evening cocktail on. There is a gym. We have easy access from there to several of the other deluxe resorts for cocktails or meals. Since we don't have young children, the spectacular theming geared towards families with young children at the values, don't appeal to us. We prefer a smaller resort both in size and capacity -- the GF is very quiet. We don't have to ride around for 6 bus stops before we finally leave our resort.

Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for the explanation. So you and your other half must have fairly good paying jobs where you can spend say, $3500 on a week's vacation without it putting much of a dent in your wallet. In the interest of saving money, can't you find some other on-property Disney resort that isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg, and maybe you could sacrifice having a balcony or a view, or close proximity to the Magic Kingdom and have access to all the perks? Then you could spend a little more on cocktails at the local in-hotel bar and interact with some of the resort guests instead of being holed up in your room. I have a great career in IT Security, but alas, I am a single traveler paying for all of this plus all my other expenses by myself, so that's a big factor, and when it comes to converting all of my Canadian dollars into US Currency, the exchange rate really sucks right now. For you it might be $3500 but for me, converted at today's exchange rate is $4620 and change! There is nothing wrong with staying at the moderates, because I'm spending most of my time at the parks anyway. The hotel room is just a place to stash my stuff until I leave, and come back and go to sleep after a busy day in the parks.

I'd like to hear some other reasons from other readers about why they choose the deluxe resorts over the values or moderates.

Could someone please explain the following question for me? I don't understand why someone would want to spend $300-$500 (or more) US dollars per night on a deluxe room "just for the experience", when they could save a ton of money on a value or moderate resort, for the same experience? I've stayed off-property (which I will never do again) and I've also stayed on-property many times, and I find that if I stay in either a value or moderate resort, I think I would get the same immersion as in a deluxe. That is not to say that one day I'd love to stay in the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, or Boardwalk, but that'll have to wait until I win the lottery. What is your reasoning behind spending so much money on a hotel room?

This was us, as you can see in our previous visits...We did enjoy the values at first because of (What else) a great value. It was nothing more than A place for us to sleep:confused3. When we finally decided to move up to moderates,that opened our eyes to a whole new world...Beside the grounds being so nicely themed, and the rooms being bigger, and the beds being queen instead of full, and the TS onsite, as well as themed pools with slides, and nice lounges..Throw in a nice pool bar & hot tub, and for the price difference between a val. & mod. it was more than justifiable. We'd still be doing mods today if we didn't buy into DVC...That takes it up a few notchs. What we thought what was excellent about the mods , only got waay better at the Deluxes/Villas. Including more elaborate pools, nice theming more TS restaurants, better transportation ( in some resorts that is )Community Hall.
To each his/her own, and know that, it's not in everyone's budget to splurge on a deluxe, or even a mod. And there's nothing wrong with that..The bottom line is, that you're in WDW & no matter what, it's going to be Magical for sure.

Yes, there is a nice walking path, which takes about 10 minutes between the GF and the Poly. Usually on our Epcot days we will walk over the Poly for breakfast at Kona's Café, and then we will walk to the TTC and take the monorail to Epcot.
There is a water slide at the main pool, I'm not sure about the beach pool -- I don't think the pool is deeper than 5 feet.

Tom
^^^This exactly.
I believe the slide is over at the Beach pool, between the villas and the main bldg...I'm not sure if there is one at the main pool:confused3

Last edited:
I believe the slide is over at the Beach pool, between the villas and the main bldg...I'm not sure if there is one at the main pool:confused3[/QUOTE]

There is no slide at the Courtyard (main) Pool.

Good Morning my GF Experts

My DH and I are leaving for a spur of the moment adults only trip (first since my honeymoon) on Monday!! We're checking out the EPCOT side and staying at the BC, but of course having dinner at the Grand the first night. I don't feel guilty because we're returning the end of May with the kids and staying at the Grand then.

If anyone has an experience with packing please HELP!! I am not a sneaker person so shoes are an issue, I have loafer and sandals. Also I have sweaters to layer especially in the morning and evening (especially my Grand sweatshirt) but how heavy of a sweater. Coming from NY I have so many types of cardigans but I can't imagine I need the heavy type.

ANY help will be helpful!!! Thanks in advance...Hello to all!! It was great reading and catching up

BTW - I love Sago Kay Garden view, its great for running to Gaspies and great if its raining to get to the main building if its raining you just run down the stairs closest to Gaspies and then walk around under the awning. We used to love Big Pine Key when the kids were little its closer to the pools. Honestly I can't imagine any building being bad!!!
im not the person to ask about shoes, I only wear runners or sport type sandals that have good arch support and lost of cushion in WDW. You'll be doing miles of walking so wear what's comfy to you.
As for clothing, I would pack some heavy outer clothing. Winter weather in Orlando can be unpredictable. I've been in temps of high 70's to 30's. Keep an eye on weather forecasts.

For us, a big part of the immersion is access. I'll use the buses because sometimes it's necessary, but I prefer to walk/boat/monorail it to my destinations. It's definitely a luxury (one we don't do often), but it's a big part of what we like about the resort experience. It also makes me feel more removed from the real world which is what I like about WDW in general. Another part of it is Disney-brain. Certain illogical things make perfect sense when it comes to WDW :)
ETA: We don't spend most of our time in the parks. Maybe 50-50 split between parks and resort for us. Maybe even more resort-heavy than 50%.

Last edited:

Tom
Thank you so much for the information! I really appreciate it!!

This was us, as you can see in our previous visits...We did enjoy the values at first because of (What else) a great value. It was nothing more than A place for us to sleep:confused3. When we finally decided to move up to moderates,that opened our eyes to a whole new world...Beside the grounds being so nicely themed, and the rooms being bigger, and the beds being queen instead of full, and the TS onsite, as well as themed pools with slides, and nice lounges..Throw in a nice pool bar & hot tub, and for the price difference between a val. & mod. it was more than justifiable. We'd still be doing mods today if we didn't buy into DVC...That takes it up a few notchs. What we thought what was excellent about the mods , only got waay better at the Deluxes/Villas. Including more elaborate pools, nice theming more TS restaurants, better transportation ( in some resorts that is )Community Hall.
To each his/her own, and know that, it's not in everyone's budget to splurge on a deluxe, or even a mod. And there's nothing wrong with that..The bottom line is, that you're in WDW & no matter what, it's going to be Magical for sure.

^^^This exactly.
I believe the slide is over at the Beach pool, between the villas and the main bldg...I'm not sure if there is one at the main pool:confused3
Thanks!

It really is a preference. Some people can afford a deluxe and want to stay there. Others say it's way too much money and they won't. We have stayed at every level. Values, Mods, Deluxe, Villas and off property. We have 4 kids, a son in law and granddaughter bringing out travel group to 8. Not everyone goes on every trip. We always prefer to stay deluxe/villa when possible. There is a huge difference in space, amenities and services between a deluxe and value. We love staying at the hotels on the monorail line because we stay at the MK for most of our days. When you have little ones it is so much easier at these resorts. We have a split stay booked in May. 4 nights at the CR and 4 at the Grand. We will spend a little more on the room and eat more CS than TS this trip. We only have 4 plus an infant going on this trip so we fit deluxe. Our last trip had 7 of us (including an infant) and we stayed at AOA because we needed more space. We did get free dining so we are at lots of great places. We also save long and hard for each trip. Last time we went was 19 mos ago. People can spend their money on why makes them happy. I saw a post where people were saying how much their trip was gonna cost. There was someone who was taking 3 trips and spending 25,000 plus dollars. We can't afford that, but I don't question them. I would love to do what they are doing but can't. We are happy with each trip whether it is an off property trip, value or deluxe. It's just great to spend time at Disney

I have always kind of felt this way too, but we did mods on our last 2 trips and found a huge difference in how we traveled. We spent time at POFQ and weren't always rushing to the parks. This year we were planning on 8 nights at CSR but my wife won a 6 night trip to POLY with Deluxe dining so we decided to spend the money we would have spent and booked a night at GF and 3 nights at CR just to find out what the big deal is. This trip we are planning on less park time to explore these resorts and maybe relax a bit instead of go go go. Looking forward to a quick trip back to resort in the middle of the day when MK is crowded and then being able to head back recharged for a late night in the park.

Hi helpful folks ;) I have a standard garden view reserved for the first week of Dec. When the time comes I would like to make a room request with our main priority being a King rm, doesn't matter which building really just chose Sago Cay for a possible chance of a view of the marina and proximity to main bldg. Are there many king rms in Sago Cay? Does anyone have a recommendation for my requests. TIA for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter