• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Good morning all!! We are seriously thinking of staying at the GF for this August (great rate too) and I am really not that familiar with the layout. Our go to resort has always been the Poly. We have eaten many times in the main bldg. but are completely unfamiliar with the rest of the resort. The rate is for a standard room. I see the layout of the outer bldgs. on the map but is there a post that explains which standard locations are better? Is there a link that has all pics of the different bldgs.? Sorry for so many beginner questions but this is the one resort I'm so unsure about. I read the beginning of the thread but looking for more of the pros and cons of each bldg. that has standard rooms. Thank you so so much for any info you can share!
It's not so much which is best location. It's a small resort, and more about what you prefer. Our pref is to be by the Courtyard pool. Either in Boca Chica or Big Pine Key. I ask for an unobstructed view. Some rooms have a view of the pool house :crazy2:. Some prefer a marina view. Both of which are considered standard views at GF and Poly.

I see that not only is Gaspy's reopen - but they have gone more upscale too.....

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/new-artisanal-items-on-the-menu-at-gasparilla-island-grill/

Tom
Thanks for the link Tom. I noticed on our last stay in August they discontinued the flatbreads (although not on menu, you could still order) and pizza replaced it, they've had the make your own salad bar for awhile. Wish they'd bring back to lobster mac & cheese!! I've always enjoyed my meals at Gaspys! And the Beach Bar!! Crab cakes, mmmm!

Oh goodness I do not want to look at the back of the pool house :sad2::sad2:! Maybe I should change my request... I honestly would rather have a nicer view than a king bed! What do you think?
Not all the Big Pine rooms look at the pool house. Our last stay in Big Pine we looked out over the pool, it was a great view. Have your request with unobstructed view. As an added bonus, we could also see the higher fireworks from the balcony!! Best view ever!

Not all the Big Pine rooms look at the pool house. Our last stay in Big Pine we looked out over the pool, it was a great view. Have your request with unobstructed view. As an added bonus, we could also see the higher fireworks from the balcony!! Best view ever!

That is correct -- one of the stays there we had a great view of the Poly Bungalows and the wedding chapel!

Tom

That is correct -- one of the stays there we had a great view of the Poly Bungalows and the wedding chapel!

Tom
Our first stay in Big Pine we had a lagoon view too! Looking out at Poly. But our last room was my fav, a standard garden/pool view and could watch Wishes too!! Although the lagoon view we could see the Electric Water Parade. Hmmm, hard to make up my mind which my fav is, now that I think about it, lol!
Are you packed yet? :upsidedow

Our first stay in Big Pine we had a lagoon view too! Looking out at Poly. But our last room was my fav, a standard garden/pool view and could watch Wishes too!! Although the lagoon view we could see the Electric Water Parade. Hmmm, hard to make up my mind which my fav is, now that I think about it, lol!
Are you packed yet? :upsidedow

Packed????? I don't even have a suitcase yet!

Plus, I'm in 18 degree weather, which means I need to dig out the 70 degree weather clothes too!

Tom

We just decided to book GF for only one night on 5/17. We had never stayed at a Deluxe or Done a split stay before, but now we are doing the 1 night at GF, 6 nights at Poly, and 2 nights at CR. Looking forward to hitting each pool and spending some time at these great resorts!

From GF to AK, I would suggest Uber over regular taxi/mears. We made that mistake and paid about $21 for that one way. Uber would have been cheaper.

I just realized that I made a mistake on my ticker -- I don't arrive at the Grand in 20 days, oh no....I arrive in 13 days. Let the hating begin!!!!!
Thank God all my ADRs are on the correct days -- otherwise I'd be very sad.....I'm so looking forward to dinner at Narcoossees on February 1!

Tom

We just decided to book GF for only one night on 5/17. We had never stayed at a Deluxe or Done a split stay before, but now we are doing the 1 night at GF, 6 nights at Poly, and 2 nights at CR. Looking forward to hitting each pool and spending some time at these great resorts!
Talk about the true Monorail tour...
Have fun.

Are the cheapest garden view rooms in bad locations? Looking at booking a room for 3 nights. Wondering where those rooms would be.

Are the cheapest garden view rooms in bad locations? Looking at booking a room for 3 nights. Wondering where those rooms would be.
There are very few "bad locations" at the Grand Floridian. The resort is so small, that the buildings are all easily accessed. Typically, I've gotten garden view in Sago or Big Pine Key - in Sago, my garden view was a view of the marina - and that isn't considered an upgrade, and in BPK, I've had a view of the pool, the back of the poolhouse building and of the Poly.

Tom

I'm trying to get a feel for how crowded the bus to AK might be. We're most likely just going for one evening to eat at Tiffins, check out Pandora, and hopefully (fingers crossed) take in Rivers of Light. My dad has never been to AK, and I know he'd enjoy it, but he had a bad experience with buses on our Easter trip (73 years old with rheumatoid arthritis and had to stand often on packed buses). I want to reassure him that the bus trip from GF to AK won't be such a harrowing experience, LOL, because I really want him to experience that park.
We stayed at the GF the first week in December and took the AK bus around 4pm in the afternoon for our dinner reservation at Yak & Yeti. There were only a few pople on the bus at that time of day. You would only have standing room only first thing in the morning. If you plan to go for the evening entertainment than you we have a mostly empty bus. I was surprised at how short of a trip it was to AK from the GF. The bus goes directly to AK from the Grand and I think it was about ten minutes from the resort. We might have had a speedy driver, too. :)

The return trip had a few more people on it. I would guess that it was full but it wasn't bad at all. The bus stopped at the Poly first and then the Grand.

As others have said, most of the garden view rooms are very nice. You can request a marina view and it is still considered a garden view room. We had a booked a garden view room and were delighted to get this lovely view, looking at the Poly, in Big Pine Key. Even though is faced the lagoon it was considered a garden view because it had a big pine tree in front of the balcony. Here is a picture of the view we had.

IMG_2958_zpsmlwtjrhy.jpg

We stayed at the GF the first week in December and took the AK bus around 4pm in the afternoon for our dinner reservation at Yak & Yeti. There were only a few pople on the bus at that time of day. You would only have standing room only first thing in the morning. If you plan to go for the evening entertainment than you we have a mostly empty bus. I was surprised at how short of a trip it was to AK from the GF. The bus goes directly to AK from the Grand and I think it was about ten minutes from the resort. We might have had a speedy driver, too. :)

The return trip had a few more people on it. I would guess that it was full but it wasn't bad at all. The bus stopped at the Poly first and then the Grand.

Oh, excellent! This is very good to hear. I'm guessing with the addition of Pandora and Rivers of Light, there stands to be more people that might be heading to AK later in the day, but this is encouraging. I think we'll be fine.
Thanks for the info!

Good Morning my GF Experts

My DH and I are leaving for a spur of the moment adults only trip (first since my honeymoon) on Monday!! We're checking out the EPCOT side and staying at the BC, but of course having dinner at the Grand the first night. I don't feel guilty because we're returning the end of May with the kids and staying at the Grand then.

If anyone has an experience with packing please HELP!! I am not a sneaker person so shoes are an issue, I have loafer and sandals. Also I have sweaters to layer especially in the morning and evening (especially my Grand sweatshirt) but how heavy of a sweater. Coming from NY I have so many types of cardigans but I can't imagine I need the heavy type.

ANY help will be helpful!!! Thanks in advance...Hello to all!! It was great reading and catching up

BTW - I love Sago Kay Garden view, its great for running to Gaspies and great if its raining to get to the main building if its raining you just run down the stairs closest to Gaspies and then walk around under the awning. We used to love Big Pine Key when the kids were little its closer to the pools. Honestly I can't imagine any building being bad!!!

Hi everyone. We are booking Sugar Loaf for our 10th anniversary trip this June. I will be traveling with a toddler so for that reason we need a bath. Most likely he will just sleep with us because he won't sleep in a travel crib and I won't put him in a bed that tall by himself (he is a crazy sleeper).

Are there any King rooms in Sugar Loaf that have tubs or are they all HA with roll in showers? I was happy last year at Beach Stone Harbor because they had a King that was HA but it still had the tub so that was fine. Thanks for any insight or knowledge!

As a reply to my own post I found out there is only one king bed room at SL aside from a suite. I have read many people complaing of noise and lack of seating in the lounge. So that is another factor pushing us to Maybe just book a deluxe non CL even if there is
No king we will have seating area my husband and I can sit while da sleeps.

RPC is a small possibility but I couldn't find a room that was great there with a King (honeymoon suites are a pain to get to and super noisy some people said) and The turret room seating area surrounds the bed as well. I am also not sure RPC justifies over or close to 1k a night for us. Hard choices. I am just happy to be spending my 10th anniversary where we got married.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter