• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2013 Hilton Head lovers thread

Trying to plan when we will arrive for our trip this summer - sooooo excited!!! Would 1/2 day, from 1p-6p, be enough for us to see the main attractions in Savannah, or should we allow a full day?

TIA!

txsoccermom said:
Trying to plan when we will arrive for our trip this summer - sooooo excited!!! Would 1/2 day, from 1p-6p, be enough for us to see the main attractions in Savannah, or should we allow a full day?

TIA!

Allow a full day for sure. In half a day you can do a bus tour, perhaps visit a few squares and one museum/house. And most museums close early!

Does HHI sell food staples like the WDW DVCs? We plan on bringing most food, but curious if we could just pick up some milk on the day we arrive and then go food shopping the next day.

How do you request a building location? I can't find where on DVC member to do it... Do you call?

Does HHI sell food staples like the WDW DVCs? We plan on bringing most food, but curious if we could just pick up some milk on the day we arrive and then go food shopping the next day.

Yes, the Mercantile carries the same type of items as other DVC resorts. They will have milk. There is also a Piggly Wiggly grocery located about 1/2 mile from the resort.

We'll arrive at HHI tomorrow afternoon for 6 nights, and we can't wait. We're bringing friends who never have been at HHI or stayed at a DVC anywhere. We hope they will love it as much as we do.

Hilton Head Outfitters. 20$ seemed to be some kind of winter special.

The food was great! We paid 25$ each for lunch (appetizer+entree+iced tea including tax and tip). Not so bad. But again have a look at the buffet before ordering that. It did not look good but was the cheapest option. We instead ordered from the menu based on what people were having at the next table :) Ask to be seated on 3rd floor. Much nicer and quieter than 1st floor. Also the staff is really friendly and helpful. We'd go back for sure! My wife knew Paula, I did not have a clue who she was before visiting Savannah. She's everywhere! She has her own store but you'll find her stuff all over town.

We did not get to go as they want 3 people min and we were only two wanting to go. But we saw plenty of dolphins from the beach!

Hilton Head Outfitters also rents kayaks. The resort does not, they only offer kayak tours, so most of the times the kayaks are just sitting there. Too bad.

Thank you for this valuable information!!

Saw a photo of the mug station and it appeared to have "just" soft drinks. Is there coffee available for the refillable mugs like at the world?

jmpellet said:
Saw a photo of the mug station and it appeared to have "just" soft drinks. Is there coffee available for the refillable mugs like at the world?

You can get free coffee and hot chocolate at Tide Me Over with the resort mug. Otherwise if you don't have your mug they charge 1.50$ for a coffee. Also you can get free hot cider (lemonade in summer) in the lobby.

OOOHHH...how did I miss this one.

We will be there June 23-28 (decided to spend first two days of vac in Savannah). We have 2 bedroom, friends in studio :) I Love HHI!!

Just read the 2012 thread and its well worth the effort! Found there's a SAMs club on the island so I'm happy about that. Also mention of several worthwhile restaurants.

Just home today after a GREAT trip to HHI! We spent 4 nights in a 2BR (1923 - great location). Prior to HHI we spent a night in Charleston (loved it) and then while at HHI drove to Savannah for the better part of one day.
Enjoyed eating pizza from Guiseppe's, swimming (the pool is 85 degrees!), playing the games and activities with the CM's - we found one (Gaby) who group up in our town! Generally loved how relaxed everything was. Can't wait to go back! DH and I plan to retire to SC or at least spend part of winter there! We met a lot of people on spring break from Toronto too.

Just to note for whomever asked about pins - the selection in the store was small, and at that time, they did not have any for HHI or with Shadow on them. We ended up with a magnet, a mug and a Tervis tumbler, DH also got a t-shirt and ball cap.

Just home today after a GREAT trip to HHI! We spent 4 nights in a 2BR (1923 - great location). Prior to HHI we spent a night in Charleston (loved it) and then while at HHI drove to Savannah for the better part of one day.
Enjoyed eating pizza from Guiseppe's, swimming (the pool is 85 degrees!), playing the games and activities with the CM's - we found one (Gaby) who group up in our town! Generally loved how relaxed everything was. Can't wait to go back! DH and I plan to retire to SC or at least spend part of winter there! We met a lot of people on spring break from Toronto too.

:cheer2: So glad you had a great time! I just knew you would!!!!!!

We are staying at HHI August 17-23. This will be our first trip to HH. We have gone to the outer banks of NC from Baltimore the past 3 years. I know that once you get to these islands, traffic can be horrendous. We were thinking of trying to drive to somewhere close on Friday and then just making a quick trip to HH early Saturday morning. Anyone have any suggestions of where to stop for the night on Friday? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

macemc12 said:
We are staying at HHI August 17-23. This will be our first trip to HH. We have gone to the outer banks of NC from Baltimore the past 3 years. I know that once you get to these islands, traffic can be horrendous. We were thinking of trying to drive to somewhere close on Friday and then just making a quick trip to HH early Saturday morning. Anyone have any suggestions of where to stop for the night on Friday? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

There's a Holiday Inn Express in Hardeeville, just as you get off the 95. Then you can drive early the next morning and avoid the traffic. Never stayed there but it gets decent reviews on tripadvisor. You could also try getting to Bluffton, but then you'd be almost there!

I have never found the traffic going on the island to be that bad on Friday (we occasionally drive over for visits on Fridays).

I have been told to avoid 278 on Saturday Morning. That's check out day for most of the resorts. And the main problem there is the toll road.

If you are coming from I-95, just get on 278 and go. From Savannah, there are some back roads you can take that will get you almost all the way to the island without much traffic.

We are going in a couple of weeks and I am bummed about the weather. It looks particularly cold on HHI right now :(. Wonder if its just a cold snap??

We are going in a couple of weeks and I am bummed about the weather. It looks particularly cold on HHI right now :(. Wonder if its just a cold snap??

We were there last week, and it was cold, very windy, with several rain storms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter