2012 Free Dining Watch and Wait HERE

Just want to make sure I am doing this right because we are looking to go in the May/June timeframe. When I see people post that they are signed up, booked, joining up and following, etc I'm assuming these mean different things. If I take it correctly:

Signed Up - I signed up on the Disney website for offers, news, etc. with the hopes of getting sent a unique PIN code.

Booked - I went onto the Disney vacation planning site and actually booked/reserved the dates of my vacation. Although there is currently not free dining available for those dates I am hoping for that to change based on historical information.

Joining Up - No idea, if I can join something different than what I have already posted in order to increase my chances of getting a pin, please let me know!

Following - Assume this to mean just following this thread for news?

Also, is the general opinion that it is enough just to sniff around on the Disney site and put in some dates, go through the process and NOT book or do the majority feel that you have to book the vacation and cancel or even book it and keep the dates?

Hope I explained all this correctly, I really appreciate any insight!

Just want to make sure I am doing this right because we are looking to go in the May/June timeframe. When I see people post that they are signed up, booked, joining up and following, etc I'm assuming these mean different things. If I take it correctly:

Signed Up - I signed up on the Disney website for offers, news, etc. with the hopes of getting sent a unique PIN code.

Booked - I went onto the Disney vacation planning site and actually booked/reserved the dates of my vacation. Although there is currently not free dining available for those dates I am hoping for that to change based on historical information.

Joining Up - No idea, if I can join something different than what I have already posted in order to increase my chances of getting a pin, please let me know!

Following - Assume this to mean just following this thread for news?

Also, is the general opinion that it is enough just to sniff around on the Disney site and put in some dates, go through the process and NOT book or do the majority feel that you have to book the vacation and cancel or even book it and keep the dates?

Hope I explained all this correctly, I really appreciate any insight!
You got the gist of the lingo, yes. As far as getting pins, that's about all you can do. U.S. Mal and email pin codes are sent out randomly, they are name specific and non-transferrable. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to getting the pin codes.

Here is a link I bookmarked yesterday that has a lot of Free Dining information and release dates for free dining:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2771101

We are taking our kids for their first trip to disney world June 2-9. I've already booked CBR with a pirate pirate: themed room but FD would make our trip even more exciting!!

The second week of October (Columbus Day/Week) has been blacked out for free dining the last two years, but there's been a free dining discount the first week of October for the last 4 years. Many schools in the South have the second week of October off for fall break and Disney has a lot of conferences during that week also and I think they host a Golf event that week too. If you are wanting the FD discount, I would go with the first week of October.

I was afraid of this. That is when my kids have school break so I was thinking about going then. I would prefer late September for crowds, and lower (Value season) costs (and the possibility of FD!) They used to be in a school system (year-round) that had a fall break in September so it was perfect. Now they are in traditional school calendar. Oh, how I miss year-round school.

I am undecided about how I feel about pulling them out of school for a week (1st and 4th grade). It's not ideal, but I can save probably close to $1000 (if we get FD) by going in September. Plus it will likely be less crowded, making it a nicer week all around. Ugh. Decisions, decisions. :headache:

I was afraid of this. That is when my kids have school break so I was thinking about going then. I would prefer late September for crowds, and lower (Value season) costs (and the possibility of FD!) They used to be in a school system (year-round) that had a fall break in September so it was perfect. Now they are in traditional school calendar. Oh, how I miss year-round school.

I am undecided about how I feel about pulling them out of school for a week (1st and 4th grade). It's not ideal, but I can save probably close to $1000 (if we get FD) by going in September. Plus it will likely be less crowded, making it a nicer week all around. Ugh. Decisions, decisions. :headache:

Yank 'em!

If you are worried about the school and the lessons, go to the teachers before hand, get the lessons and have a tutorial time in the resort room after dinner. You may have to pay an extra $50 in bag fees because you are travelling with text books. But remember, $50 < $1000 (first lesson is free ;) ) Also, a lot of teachers put lessons or assignments online. If you travel with a laptop or tablet, you can do the lessons this way.

I say yank them too! We went on our first trip last fall, and pulled the kids out from Sept. 21-Oct.1. Altogether they missed 7 days of school (Gr.4, Gr.2 & preschool). It was no problem at all! The crowds were awesome, we hardly ever waited in lines, prices were cheaper, all in all the best vacay we've ever had! We gave teachers a heads up on the first day of school, and told them if they had any homework or assignments we would be sure and get it done so they didn't fall behind. All 3 teachers said they wouldn't even bother with homework as Sept is mostly review, and to go ahead and have a great time. They said if you're ever going to pull your kids for a holiday, Sept is the best month to do it in. It went so smoothly that we're doing the same this fall too! Sept 15-25. As our kids get older I know there will be a point where they won't be able to miss that much school, but for now our kids are great students, so as long as the teachers don't think it's a big deal, we'll take advantage of prices/crowds. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the response DisGirl1971! I think I'm going to call today as well and see if there are any codes on either mine or my wifes accounts. I suppose we could have a code and not even realize it.:)

If you are lucky enough to get the free dining, what do you have to do? EX Can you get it with just hotel room? Do you have to have park passes included? :confused3

If you are lucky enough to get the free dining, what do you have to do? EX Can you get it with just hotel room? Do you have to have park passes included? :confused3
To apply a free dining discount to your reservation, you have to have purchased a Magic Your Way Package through Walt Disney World that includes your resort, tickts and dining plan. They usually require a 3 night minimum resort booking and at least 2 day base park tickets. This link has a lot more technical information:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2771101

Yank 'em!

If you are worried about the school and the lessons, go to the teachers before hand, get the lessons and have a tutorial time in the resort room after dinner. You may have to pay an extra $50 in bag fees because you are travelling with text books. But remember, $50 < $1000 (first lesson is free ;) ) Also, a lot of teachers put lessons or assignments online. If you travel with a laptop or tablet, you can do the lessons this way.

I say yank them too! We went on our first trip last fall, and pulled the kids out from Sept. 21-Oct.1. Altogether they missed 7 days of school (Gr.4, Gr.2 & preschool). It was no problem at all! The crowds were awesome, we hardly ever waited in lines, prices were cheaper, all in all the best vacay we've ever had! We gave teachers a heads up on the first day of school, and told them if they had any homework or assignments we would be sure and get it done so they didn't fall behind. All 3 teachers said they wouldn't even bother with homework as Sept is mostly review, and to go ahead and have a great time. They said if you're ever going to pull your kids for a holiday, Sept is the best month to do it in. It went so smoothly that we're doing the same this fall too! Sept 15-25. As our kids get older I know there will be a point where they won't be able to miss that much school, but for now our kids are great students, so as long as the teachers don't think it's a big deal, we'll take advantage of prices/crowds. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the input! I am definitely still considering taking them out for a week...it sort of depends on the discounts that come out, if it is worth it. :)

I would be willing to do the extra work with the kids, either beforehand or during the week, so that may be an option.

Thanks for the input! I am definitely still considering taking them out for a week...it sort of depends on the discounts that come out, if it is worth it. :)

I would be willing to do the extra work with the kids, either beforehand or during the week, so that may be an option.
We have 5 kids and have taken them out of school every year since 2003 for our annual Disney trips. When they were young we took them out for an entire school week, but now that they have gotten older, and our oldest is in high school, we tend to try to take them out when they already have a 2 or 3 days off and only miss 2 or 3 days. The free dining discounts save us a fortune and it's been very worth it to us for not only the savings but also for the lower crowd levels. One of our kids has Asperger's and Dyspraxia and low crowds make our trips much more enjoyable. Of course, I think it has to vary from family to family and what school district you live in. Some districts are very flexible and even encourage family vacations, but some school districts can make it very hard and are not flexible at all.

We have 5 kids and have taken them out of school every year since 2003 for our annual Disney trips. When they were young we took them out for an entire school week, but now that they have gotten older, and our oldest is in high school, we tend to try to take them out when they already have a 2 or 3 days off and only miss 2 or 3 days. The free dining discounts save us a fortune and it's been very worth it to us for not only the savings but also for the lower crowd levels. One of our kids has Asperger's and Dyspraxia and low crowds make our trips much more enjoyable. Of course, I think it has to vary from family to family and what school district you live in. Some districts are very flexible and even encourage family vacations, but some school districts can make it very hard and are not flexible at all.

Thanks! I think our district is not one of the "very flexible and supportive" ones. We are new to this area and I don't truly know how strict they are. Based on the district website, it seems that they are at least somewhat strict. Not sure how they enforce the rules though. Maybe I will try asking around.

Thanks for all the input!

Here is my two cents int his matter.

1. People have learned when "Free Dining" is usually offered, and have started booking those dates before the discounts have been offered. Disney has no need to offer discounts early because the rooms are booked currently without any offers. Once people start canceling due to lack of discount we May see last minute discounts.

2. Some people have bounceback offers and dont need the discounts to be public, when Disney has repeat customers from the bounceback offers they may not need to fill as many rooms as before with public discounts. Sad for new guest good for repeat customers.

3. Disney is having a harder time selling DVC while still offering Free Dining, when doing the math it makes no financial sense to buy DVC when Free dining is offered regularly. Priced on the Disney Site - for 4 people 2A 2K (disney adults) 10 night stay - 10 day Park Hopper tickets, Value resort, "free dining" with the upgrade to Disney dining plan from free quick service -
$3343.98
DVC - Same vacation - at DVC OKW (cheaper resort for points) - 142 points - $3504 for Disney dining plan, and 10 day park hopper tickets

So with DVC you are paying $160.02 more in cash and 142 in points!! If you figure out the cash per point as $10 per point (dvc sells them for $15 a point) Thats $1420 dollars more. So our total for the same time frame in a "nicer hotel" studio where you have to pull out the couch for a second bed each night is $4924

Thats a difference of $1580.02 more per vacation!!! Is a room that is the same size as a value resort where you have to pull out the couch into a bed every night, very little house keeping, and no bed making really worth that difference? I dont think so!!! And anyone doing the math will know why do it when they give everyone else Free dining?? The Value resort saves $2120 on dining for the same trip. That makes a huge difference!!

4. Disney is currently banking on New and Repeat customers paying regular price due to the opening of the new Fantasyland additons. People want to see the new stuff. Sure they may only pay it once but that means no discounts needed this time around. Maybe in a couple years when the hype dies down they will give discounts again?

Im not saying it wont happen I am just letting you know how Im thinking this year.

Here is my two cents int his matter.

1. People have learned when "Free Dining" is usually offered, and have started booking those dates before the discounts have been offered. Disney has no need to offer discounts early because the rooms are booked currently without any offers. Once people start canceling due to lack of discount we May see last minute discounts.

2. Some people have bounceback offers and dont need the discounts to be public, when Disney has repeat customers from the bounceback offers they may not need to fill as many rooms as before with public discounts. Sad for new guest good for repeat customers.

3. Disney is having a harder time selling DVC while still offering Free Dining, when doing the math it makes no financial sense to buy DVC when Free dining is offered regularly. Priced on the Disney Site - for 4 people 2A 2K (disney adults) 10 night stay - 10 day Park Hopper tickets, Value resort, "free dining" with the upgrade to Disney dining plan from free quick service -
$3343.98
DVC - Same vacation - at DVC OKW (cheaper resort for points) - 142 points - $3504 for Disney dining plan, and 10 day park hopper tickets

So with DVC you are paying $160.02 more in cash and 142 in points!! If you figure out the cash per point as $10 per point (dvc sells them for $15 a point) Thats $1420 dollars more. So our total for the same time frame in a "nicer hotel" studio where you have to pull out the couch for a second bed each night is $4924

Thats a difference of $1580.02 more per vacation!!! Is a room that is the same size as a value resort where you have to pull out the couch into a bed every night, very little house keeping, and no bed making really worth that difference? I dont think so!!! And anyone doing the math will know why do it when they give everyone else Free dining?? The Value resort saves $2120 on dining for the same trip. That makes a huge difference!!

4. Disney is currently banking on New and Repeat customers paying regular price due to the opening of the new Fantasyland additons. People want to see the new stuff. Sure they may only pay it once but that means no discounts needed this time around. Maybe in a couple years when the hype dies down they will give discounts again?

Im not saying it wont happen I am just letting you know how Im thinking this year.

Not gonna discredit this for what it is... your opinion.

However, I do want to let others have a ray of hope... I have seen this same argument every year while waiting for free dining to be released, but it has always been released anyway. Not to say that this might not be the year they drop it, just don't want anyone to give up hope!

Yes it is my opinion and I am not an expert. I dont want anyone to give up hope either. I am still hoping something comes out for everyone :) I know it makes or breaks peoples trips. Myself included. We would not have had as many Disney adventures if we did not recieve free dining. I know our family trip last year with 11 people would have been impossible, and the one I am taking this year with my sister and Nephew (11) (this is his first trip) would not be happening. I was just giving people something to think about when booking this early and banking on Free Dining.

I am taking my daughter to WDW in October for the first time....We have booked the Delux dining plan and will be sticking with it regardless. It would be nice though to get it free...lol

FD will happen-just a matter of what,and when.The economy is still slow,a lot of people are just trying to make ends meet,and many are still looking for work.It's all about the numbers-if enough people book to meet Disney's mark,they certainly won't offer FD-Don't see this happening-New Fantasy Land or not,ESPECIALLY during Hurricane Season.Don't sweat it-it'll happen!!;) FD was the tipping point for us for the last 4 trips-We would not have gone without it,with the cost of flights,gasoline etc...It really makes a difference for our family of four.It'll take all We've got to not do Disney again this year,but FD makes it really hard for us to stay away!!!:goodvibes It will be MUCH easier for us to not go if there is no FD!;)Saves us a LOT a bucks!

I am taking my daughter to WDW in October for the first time....We have booked the Delux dining plan and will be sticking with it regardless. It would be nice though to get it free...lol
You can't get the Deluxe Dining Plan for free. If you are staying at a value resort you can will get the Quick Service Dining Plan, if you are are staying at a moderate or deluxe resort you would get the Basic/Plus Dining Plan for free. You can upgrade to the deluxe dining plan and pay the differenct. Click on the link in Post #571 for an overview and the pricing for upgrading during free dining promos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter