2008 DDP discussion, questions, rants and vents

If you would actually read my post, I only said this happened one time......no claims that this was a normal occurrence. We have had wonderful service from almost all WDW restaurants, on occasion we have received less than great service, and once we received bad service. I am glad you have received nothing but good service, but that does not mean someone else's account of not so great service is false. Then again, I could be a pathological liar with an internet connection too. ;)

:thumbsup2

I think what he meant (and posting what you think another poster meant is a dangerous thing to do :goodvibes ) was that why would you want to pay $20 out of your pocket every day of your vacation - just so you can save a few dollars of Disney's money by getting the tip reduced?

I am understanding what you're saying as you'd rather pay an extra $20/day to ensure that you get good service at every meal because you are in control of the tip amount.

I am NOT taking sides - just sharing what I am hearing from both of you and maybe helping you guys understand each other better. :goodvibes

:thumbsup2[/QUOTE]

If you would actually read my post, I only said this happened one time......no claims that this was a normal occurrence. We have had wonderful service from almost all WDW restaurants, on occasion we have received less than great service, and once we received bad service. I am glad you have received nothing but good service, but that does not mean someone else's account of not so great service is false. Then again, I could be a pathological liar with an internet connection too. ;)

I didn't mean it that way really. Just that it was worth 20-40 bucks per meal to that that chance that I'd get bad service at Disney.

william4192, I get it now......thanks to Tricia!!! DUH, I guess getting the point you are driving at across on a discussion board is sometimes hard since inflection and expression does not translate via the keyboard.

I would love to hear more review from people who have used the deluxe. We used the basic dining plan last year and it was not enough for my family.
I am interested in knowing what restaurants you did and how you scheduled them. Did you have to cancel some while on vacation? If you had kids how did they do with the deluxe? Another question that I guess anyone can answer would be when doing an early breakfast were you able to finish in time for opening?

We went in June, and had the Deluxe dining plan. I got it more for the ability to go to all the nice restaurants that we wanted to go to than to sit down at every meal. Basically we would eat breakfast in the room. We brought cereal and milk as we are not big breakfast eaters. We booked TS lunches at the parks, and that left us enough credits for Signature dinners every night. (I have an extreme foodie family- all the way down to the littlest one, so getting to eat at nice places was a must).

I had heard before going that the snack credits were too much, but we managed to use ours up in drinks and frozen treats to cool down.

It was absolutely the BEST experience. We will definately be geting it on our next trip. (which is WAY too far away:sad2:

I am really dissappointed in not having the appetizers anymore. I am not a big dessert eater, wish they would give you the choice between dessert and appetizer. That would be really nice especially for people who are diabetics in the group.
The tip issue doesn't bother me, I like being able to tip based on how well we are served. If someone brings your food and never returns to do refills , I don't feel like they deserve much of a tip. Especially when you have to flag down a different waiter...:mad:

1 MONTH AND 3 DAYS TILL OUR DISNEY TRIP!!:banana:

We are meeting my in-laws at WDW for Thanksgiving. Food is a huge deal for them so they have ADRs for everyday we are there. Some days we have 2! We are using DDP and have 10 days worth of credits well, they have ADRs for 16 credits. They are totally fine with paying for all the extra meals. My question is: Can I attend the reservation and not eat? I don't eat breakfast and I hate to use credits for a meal I won't eat. Many of the ressies are character meals so I obviously want to be there with the kids. So, can I sit in the meal and not eat or do they require everyone in the party to dine?

We were thinking of going next December and I just went on the DisneyWorld website and these are the prices I got.

11/29/08 to 12/06/08 ASMO pref.room w/ PH / dining-$2967 , deluxe dining $3863.:eek: :eek: :eek:

12/06/08 to 12/13/08 POLY/LAG.VIEW/PH/ dining-$5657.96, deluxe dining 6553.96 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow,that's a lot!!! A DisneyCruise may be cheaper or we may be waiting an extra year at these prices and we go twice a year!

Sounds like you need to look into the vacation club if you're not a member already. If you go twice a year I think it would definately be worth your while. It would pay for itself in your first 5 trips!!!:thumbsup2

We are meeting my in-laws at WDW for Thanksgiving. Food is a huge deal for them so they have ADRs for everyday we are there. Some days we have 2! We are using DDP and have 10 days worth of credits well, they have ADRs for 16 credits. They are totally fine with paying for all the extra meals. My question is: Can I attend the reservation and not eat? I don't eat breakfast and I hate to use credits for a meal I won't eat. Many of the ressies are character meals so I obviously want to be there with the kids. So, can I sit in the meal and not eat or do they require everyone in the party to dine?

If it is a character buffet (or other form of all you can eat meal), then, you will have to pay in order to attend the meal.

If you are attending a non-buffet meal, I don't think that there are any specific requirements that everyone order and I think I've heard of people sharing. However, you may wish to remember that it is customary to tip as if everyone were eating.

If i was eating at Flame Tree BBQ at AK and ordered a pork sandwich or ribs.. it comes with baked beans but do you get to choose a side as well? like cole slaw or fries? How does that work, I know when you eat at Pecos you order a "meal" comes with fries. just wondering about a place like flame tree.

thanks

PS- *CORRECTION* I MEANT TO SAY QUICK SERVICE NOT TABLE! SORRY!! =)

did not use the DDP on our first ever trip- but seriously considering it for our next one

I have a couple of questions that I did not see on here (although I did not go through the ENTIRE list of threads) :rolleyes:

In Jan we had ressie's at Hollywood and Vine for dinner so we could see the Fantasmic for my DH b-day. Sadly we had a horrible rain and lightning storm with Tornado warnings so we never made it to the show.

THis time I want to have dinner at the Brown Derby and again try the Fantasmic - can I use the DDP do accomplish this? Or do I have to "pay" out of pocket for Brown Derby in order to have the show included??

Also- once I purchase the DDP can I just call Disney Dine Reservations to book my sit down reservations?

did not use the DDP on our first ever trip- but seriously considering it for our next one

I have a couple of questions that I did not see on here (although I did not go through the ENTIRE list of threads) :rolleyes:

In Jan we had ressie's at Hollywood and Vine for dinner so we could see the Fantasmic for my DH b-day. Sadly we had a horrible rain and lightning storm with Tornado warnings so we never made it to the show.

THis time I want to have dinner at the Brown Derby and again try the Fantasmic - can I use the DDP do accomplish this? Or do I have to "pay" out of pocket for Brown Derby in order to have the show included??

Also- once I purchase the DDP can I just call Disney Dine Reservations to book my sit down reservations?

You can book with Disney Dining whenever your window opens up. DDP and dining reservations are not tied together. Dining reservations are tied with either resorts (in that you can use the +10 if staying onsite) or with the date that you'll dine there.

You can use DDP to book the Fantasmic Dining Package at Brown Derby - it'll be 2 TS credits to do so. However Brown Derby would be 2TS credits regardless of the FDP or not. It's considered a signature location.

That's good to know...I let some friends know about that since this will be their first trip in YEARS and they plan to go on the Dining Plan:goodvibes

We are on the regular meal plan and after looking at the menus, I'm not seeing a whole lot my child would eat for the table service meals. Does anyone know if we can get counter service food for him and just let him eat that while we're eating at the table service restaurant or do they frown on this. Any suggestions?

Generally, the restaurants don't allow food to be carried in. However, it cannot hurt to ask in advance -- I'd recommend a few hours ahead of your reservation time, so you can be sure that the same person who says 'yes' will still be there, and so you have enough time to make alternative arrangements if you prefer.

We are on the regular meal plan and after looking at the menus, I'm not seeing a whole lot my child would eat for the table service meals. Does anyone know if we can get counter service food for him and just let him eat that while we're eating at the table service restaurant or do they frown on this. Any suggestions?

We have done this one time with no problem. Our kids are on the pickier side and we have always found something on the menu they will eat at table service restaurants. I guess it will depend on the restaurant.

We have the DDP for five of us and my two DGDs princess: (12) princess: (10) are not very big eaters and we had to get the adult DDP for them. If there is something on the menu that they agree upon, we will order one dinner and split it between them. I heard that was allowed. :confused3 Another thing we might do, if there is nothing on the adult menu they like, we will order from the kids menu and pay OOP. Hopefully this will save us two TS meals and we can splurge on another dinner that requires 2 credits apiece. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter