2008 DDP discussion, questions, rants and vents

That's why I think if they control it by not offering ALL appetizers after the meal, but adding a pre-selected salad or fruit to the dessert menu, they would save on cost.

I believe that Disney feel that if a salad was offered the opportunity to sell one of the restaurant's signature appetizers is gone. In limiting the package they have offered one course that folks may or may not take advantage of. In my experience the appetizer course is one that people may purchase even if it is not included on a package, and if the table is ordering cocktails they also may order the appetizers to go with. Nothing else needed after dinner to go with coffee or an after dinner cocktail.

I believe that Disney feel that if a salad was offered the opportunity to sell one of the restaurant's signature appetizers is gone. In limiting the package they have offered one course that folks may or may not take advantage of. In my experience the appetizer course is one that people may purchase even if it is not included on a package, and if the table is ordering cocktails they also may order the appetizers to go with. Nothing else needed after dinner to go with coffee or an after dinner cocktail.

That's an excellent point as well.

What excited me about the first post regarding offering a salad at the end of a meal was that it's the first example/idea I've seen that took care of what we here on the Dis see as the major reasons why Disney doesn't offer a choice.

However you're right, if you know you're getting a salad at the end - you probably aren't going to order (and pay OOP) for the more expensive appetizer before the meal.

I think compared to a gallon of milk, a head of lettace is a steal :scared1:.....lol. I hate going to the grocery store now. It takes me as long to eat dessert as it does an appetizer so the time thing has never really made sense to me anyway. I can eat a salad while I am waiting for them to bring me my entree, then the time issue becomes a mute point.

Yes, a head of lettuce is cheaper than a gallon of milk, but a gallon of milk will make many cakes which feeds many people........a head of lettuce will feed maybe four people at best.......price per portion for the dairy is minimal when thinking of desserts vs. price per portion on produce.

As far as time, Tricia said it well when she stated the time at a table would be increased because most would tend to split appetizers and desserts to get the best of both worlds.

racefanof88, the reason that table turnover has been cited so much is because if they were to offer a choice of appetizer or dessert, most tables would choose to split an appetizer and then split a dessert. In that instance it would take longer for the table to turn over.

Also, because there is a tendency to skip dessert entirely if you're full, then the tables turn over even faster - now Disney has removed two courses instead of one.

Exactly! Very well said!

That's why I think if they control it by not offering ALL appetizers after the meal, but adding a pre-selected salad or fruit to the dessert menu, they would save on cost.

Just to be clear, in case you were thinking of me when you posted, I did mention limiting cost in my reply that I thought this was a fantastic idea. I agree completely, turning tables over is only part of it.

Yes, it sounds like a good idea, but I wonder if any of the folks wanting an appetizer would be appeased with an offering of a simple salad or fruit option?? Most of the people are upset by the lack of appetizer because they want the crab cakes, cheese plate, duck, etc. not the salad or fruit. Offering a salad will not make these people happy!

:thumbsup2

Tricia1972, I guess I am just looking at my picky bunch :rolleyes1 . Myself and my oldest son would be the only ones eating a salad and that would be eaten while waiting for my entree. My husband, my daughter and youngest son are the pickiest eaters---hamburgers, french fries, pizza or grilled cheese, that is the list I had to make sure all the places offered, on the ddp, in May :rotfl2:

apostolic4life, I tried to use the quote but, it wasn't working.......:rolleyes1
Anyway what you said about portions with milk and lettace was true. Assuming milk and lettace are the same price in Orlando as here(I know Disney buys in bulk with discounts)you could get 3 heads of lettace for the price of one gallon of milk but, much more that 12 slices of cake with that gallon of milk.

In response to the time and sharing, the appitizer list, for the ddp, could be limited to say soup or salad. That can be made in large amounts and waiting to be served at a moments notice. The time element goes away there because I have to wait for them to cook my food so I eat my soup or salad while waiting........no extra time. And splitting a dessert would, in my opinion, cut time too because two people eating a piece of cake will get rid of that cake faster than one person. And the debate about wanting to turn tables also becomes a mute point when the DxDP is used because an appy is included.

I know Disney has accountants :teacher: looking at the books to see what is the best option for Disney. And that is ok I know they are in the business of making money. As long as my family can afford to go to Disney we will :cheer2: , when it gets to the point we are priced out then we won't :sad2: . I hope this doesn't happen but, there is always that chance.

Your qoute "Yes, it sounds like a good idea, but I wonder if any of the folks wanting an appetizer would be appeased with an offering of a simple salad or fruit option?? Most of the people are upset by the lack of appetizer because they want the crab cakes, cheese plate, duck, etc. not the salad or fruit. Offering a salad will not make these people happy!"

You are totally right. There is no way to make all the people happy all the time. The best way to get what you really want..............don't get the ddp, pay oop. Just my .02. My story, we were limited to what desserts we could order at Planet Hollywood in May, and of course my dh wanted something not on the list........ :rotfl2:

We just have a couple more weeks to wait and see what the Mouse has decided :surfweb: :scared: .

I think the idea of adding the appy back in but limiting it to soup or salad is a good one! Shouldn't add much to the time factor, it appeases many who want something added back in (but not all, I know) and it limits the cost to Disney too.

I think the idea of adding the appy back in but limiting it to soup or salad is a good one! Shouldn't add much to the time factor, it appeases many who want something added back in (but not all, I know) and it limits the cost to Disney too.

We were there at the same time this year. We stayed one night off property too...........lol We were there May 2nd-8th.

Soup and salad can be made in large quantities and very cheap really. I have been to some high quality restaurants that offer lettace wedges as an appy, with average cost of about .50 a serving including dressing. Can't get much cheaper than that.............lol.

If anyone wants more than soup or salad they can always pay oop, just like now.

The biggest problem with the "soup or salad" idea is that it belies the "choose anything" motif of the Dining Plan. Might as well set up a special buffet table for folks on the Dining Plan to eat off of, or at least have a special Dining Plan menu ("selection from our main menu, for our Dining Plan guests")....

The biggest problem with the "soup or salad" idea is that it belies the "choose anything" motif of the Dining Plan. Might as well set up a special buffet table for folks on the Dining Plan to eat off of, or at least have a special Dining Plan menu ("selection from our main menu, for our Dining Plan guests")....

This is true. However, maybe instead of calling it an appetizer on what the Dining Plan includes, they could say 1TS credit per night with "entree, choice of cup of soup or house salad, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage". That way it's not really limiting appies from the menu, it's just soup or salad included with the entree in a way. On many non-Disney menus, soups and salads are presented separately from appetizers.

i don't think Disney is really going to do this, just pondering the hypothetical another poster presented... just to be clear on that!

If you go to PH they limit the desserts. You have a certain list you can pick from so there goes the "choose anything" motif anyway. Our waitress made a big deal out of it too. We asked if we could pay oop for another choice and she said she would have to ask the manager. We just said forget it.

In response to the time and sharing, the appitizer list, for the ddp, could be limited to say soup or salad. That can be made in large amounts and waiting to be served at a moments notice. The time element goes away there because I have to wait for them to cook my food so I eat my soup or salad while waiting........no extra time.

Actually, it does create extra time.......the way a kitchen works is all based on timing so all of the entrees for a given table are ready at one time. When you send out soup or salad (which are always made or prepped well in advance) the kitchen will allow time for the table to consume that course so the entrees will not come to the table while they are eating the soup or salad. Most people hate having the entree come out before their first course is finished.........even if the soup or salad is quick and easy to get out, the kitchen will still give about 15 minutes (or more) for the customer to eat that food before they worry about getting the entrees out.

And splitting a dessert would, in my opinion, cut time too because two people eating a piece of cake will get rid of that cake faster than one person.

Even while splitting dessert, this course will still take a while since people tend to talk, drink coffee, and let the meal settle before consuming the dessert. Dessert is the most leisurely and conversational aspects of a meal.

And the debate about wanting to turn tables also becomes a mute point when the DxDP is used because an appy is included.

Actually it is not a mute point. Since people are paying a good deal more for the DDDP, the extra time at the table is basically paid for. The DDDP would be just like someone buying an appetizer OOP.......they are getting more money from you so they are not as anxious to get you away from the table.

i just have to say that the dining plan is soooo worth it for me and my familyy.
being a teen it's not the easiest thing ripping out my own to pay for a bottle of water when i could be using that to buy something else.
it is sooo much easier to take out the dining plan card to pay for. in the end yuu get everythingg yuu paidd for so it all works out.

the only thing that I'm gonna miss this year is not having appetizers on the dining plan. i would rather get an appetizer instead of a dessert, or at least have the option.:sad2:
but other than that, i would tell anybody it is deffinetly worth getting the dining plan!:thumbsup2

racefanof88 said:
In response to the time and sharing, the appitizer list, for the ddp, could be limited to say soup or salad. That can be made in large amounts and waiting to be served at a moments notice.
But I {wahhhh} don't want my salad after my meal. I {boo-hoo} want it before my meal. That's what an appetizer IS - something to whet your palate for the main course. And I should {sob, sob, whine} be able to get ANY item I want as my appetizer - who do these people think they are, limiting my choices??? For that matter, they're treating DDP Guests like second-class citizens. I should be able to order exactly the same food as that guy with his wallet out. Who do they think they are, offering only a restricted menu to DDP users? I mean, they've had my money for MONTHS - let them take their profit from the interest my/all DDP money earned???

sandym718 said:
This is true. However, maybe instead of calling it an appetizer on what the Dining Plan includes, they could say 1TS credit per night with "entree, choice of cup of soup or house salad, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage".
Then you're right back up to three courses, with the first, granted, being limited-choice - and so, slower table turn.

But I {wahhhh} don't want my salad after my meal. I {boo-hoo} want it before my meal. That's what an appetizer IS - something to whet your palate for the main course. And I should {sob, sob, whine} be able to get ANY item I want as my appetizer - who do these people think they are, limiting my choices??? For that matter, they're treating DDP Guests like second-class citizens. I should be able to order exactly the same food as that guy with his wallet out. Who do they think they are, offering only a restricted menu to DDP users? I mean, they've had my money for MONTHS - let them take their profit from the interest my/all DDP money earned???
:rotfl:

You forgot the smiley, Kaytie.

:lmao::lmao:

That is exactly the scenario I saw! :rotfl2:

Actually, it does create extra time.......the way a kitchen works is all based on timing so all of the entrees for a given table are ready at one time. When you send out soup or salad (which are always made or prepped well in advance) the kitchen will allow time for the table to consume that course so the entrees will not come to the table while they are eating the soup or salad. Most people hate having the entree come out before their first course is finished.........even if the soup or salad is quick and easy to get out, the kitchen will still give about 15 minutes (or more) for the customer to eat that food before they worry about getting the entrees out.

Even while splitting dessert, this course will still take a while since people tend to talk, drink coffee, and let the meal settle before consuming the dessert. Dessert is the most leisurely and conversational aspects of a meal.

Actually it is not a mute point. Since people are paying a good deal more for the DDDP, the extra time at the table is basically paid for. The DDDP would be just like someone buying an appetizer OOP.......they are getting more money from you so they are not as anxious to get you away from the table.

Well then the time factor comes in with dessert, not the appy so take the dessert away.........:confused3. Honeslty, in May there were empty tables all around us except at one meal(The Plaza) and the only wait we had was at Kona Cafe because we arrived before they started seating for lunch and then the lady at the podium forgot to call us :sad2:.

So if I don't buy the DDDP I should be rushed from my table? I am being treated less important then:sad1: Another reason not to go on the DDP. If I am Joe Noplan then the wait staff has no idea what I will buy, thus eleminating the "get the basic DDP folks out of here".........;)

Then you're right back up to three courses, with the first, granted, being limited-choice - and so, slower table turn.

I wouldn't want my salad after my meal either ;) . But, they do treat DDP guests differently :eek:. You can't get the same thing the guy pulling his wallet out gets unless you pull your wallet out too. You don't get ANY appy at all the way the plan is now unless you pay oop. So the menu is limited :sad1:. The dessert menu is VERY limited at Planet Hollywood if you are on the DDP. At my bank $38 dollars doesn't earn much interest :teacher:. And that too depends on how soon you buy and pay for your plan as to the amount of interest any DDP money would earn.

The three couses are still offered on some kids meals. They offer soup or salad, entree, drink and dessert. I know for a fact I eat faster than most kids :laughing:.

yes, but IF Disney did this (and I don't think they will, again, just hypothetical) - this somewhat slower table turn (slower than NO appy, but probably faster than if an entire appy menu was available) would be accompanied by price increase in the DDP, I'm sure. Disney's soup/salad cost per guest would be quite low I would think, so a plan increase would offset the slower table turn. Bring table turn back somewhere near where it was prior to the 2008 plan without costing Disney that much in terms of food, yet letting them raise the plan price and give "more" to the customer.

yes, but IF Disney did this (and I don't think they will, again, just hypothetical) - this somewhat slower table turn (slower than NO appy, but probably faster than if an entire appy menu was available) would be accompanied by price increase in the DDP, I'm sure. Disney's soup/salad cost per guest would be quite low I would think, so a plan increase would offset the slower table turn. Bring table turn back somewhere near where it was prior to the 2008 plan without costing Disney that much in terms of food, yet letting them raise the plan price and give "more" to the customer.

I have to agree with you. How long does it really take to eat a salad or soup? My group eats at differents speeds anyway no matter what we order.....lol.

Well then the time factor comes in with dessert, not the appy so take the dessert away.........:confused3.

I see what you are doing.........just trying to get a heated debate going aren't you?? If the only reason for eliminating the appetizer was table turnover, your solution would work, but now you are forgetting the main concern for WDW is the cost of making the appetizer vs. the dessert. Nice try, but your attempt to twist my words has failed........remember, the cost to produce the food is their first concern; the table turnover is an additional benefit of eliminating the appetizer course. This has all be discussed over and over, and over, and over............your thoughts are not new to the discussion.

Honeslty, in May there were empty tables all around us except at one meal(The Plaza) and the only wait we had was at Kona Cafe because we arrived before they started seating for lunch and then the lady at the podium forgot to call us :sad2:.

The time of year you went is probably the biggest factor in empty tables being available. If you go during a peak period the elusive empty table will not be found.........their policies are created not for the slow times, but rather to give order to the hurried busy times.

So if I don't buy the DDDP I should be rushed from my table?I am being treated less important then:sad1: Another reason not to go on the DDP. If I am Joe Noplan then the wait staff has no idea what I will buy, thus eleminating the "get the basic DDP folks out of here".........;)

No, but they will get you out as quickly as possible......they have thousands of other people waiting to get a seat as soon as you leave.......sorry if the facts don't give you that Disney magic.....they are running a bussiness and they are gonna turn the table as fast they can. If you spend more money they are willing to let you linger longer without trying to get you out sooner.......every restaurant in the world operates that way, but the secret is not letting you know we are trying to get you out the door ASAP. That is what we call great customer service.......we accomplish our goal of getting you out without making you feel rushed!

I wouldn't want my salad after my meal either ;) . But, they do treat DDP guests differently :eek:. You can't get the same thing the guy pulling his wallet out gets unless you pull your wallet out too. You don't get ANY appy at all the way the plan is now unless you pay oop. So the menu is limited :sad1:. The dessert menu is VERY limited at Planet Hollywood if you are on the DDP.

Spend more get more.........it is the American way (for products and service).

At my bank $38 dollars doesn't earn much interest :teacher:. And that too depends on how soon you buy and pay for your plan as to the amount of interest any DDP money would earn.

Your argument only works if one person is buying the DDP for one night, but the fact that thousands (maybe millions) of people prebuy the DDP for multiple nights, which adds up to millions of dollars which would earn them a hefty bit of interest every year......it would amount to more than you and I make in a year combined.

The three couses are still offered on some kids meals. They offer soup or salad, entree, drink and dessert. I know for a fact I eat faster than most kids :laughing:.

WOW, now you want to go after the kids........lets just keep this between us adults. ;)

I agree get rid of dessert. With that said I heard from a friend that went in Apr that they add the tip to the bill and it is something like 8%. She said she only paid what she felt was needed. I don't like being told how much to tip a person.

In Canada we usually go by what our tax percentage is and here it is 13%. I don't always give that be servers here are paid more than what they are in the US and honestly everytime I go shopping in the US I get better service at the places I eat at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter