$2000 more for same cruise next year?

This is all just simple economics. If Disney raises the price of a cruise 30% and then they see a corresponding 30% drop of cruisers, they will make more profit. They are taking in the same amount of money, but since there are fewer cruisers, their operating expenses will be lower. They will spend less money on fuel, food, and staffing. They will likely have higher customer satisfaction as well since the ships would be less crowded.

Exactly, we booked our SWDAS, actually changed a sail date to one of these before they were announced in Jan of last year we paid the base price for April 2 cruise. By March, just 2 months later , I checked prices, if we had waited it would have cost us 3000 more, that's US dollars!! amazing !!!
Many of those cruises ended up having GT rates that brought them back down closer to opening day prices. There were also other discounts offered on some of the sailings. They may raise the prices 3k, but it doesn't mean they can sell them at that price. I think there's a real misconception on these boards about how Disney fills their ships.

This is all just simple economics. If Disney raises the price of a cruise 30% and then they see a corresponding 30% drop of cruisers, they will make more profit. They are taking in the same amount of money, but since there are fewer cruisers, their operating expenses will be lower. They will spend less money on fuel, food, and staffing. They will likely have higher customer satisfaction as well since the ships would be less crowded.

I don't think they want to see any of their ships sailing at 70% capacity, but I agree that crowd control is a big part of their pricing strategy, for both cruises AND parks.

I don't think they want to see any of their ships sailing at 70% capacity, but I agree that crowd control is a big part of their pricing strategy, for both cruises AND parks.
Agreed. No cruise line wants capacity that low. It actually DOESN'T even out at all. That's 30% less being paid out to staff in tips, for one thing. 30% fewer people buying alcohol and soivenirs, booking excursions, and paying for upcharge restaurants. A 70% sailing rate on a regular basis would be a disaster for a cruise line used to 90/95+%

The Magic and Wonder did not have concierge when we cruised 2003-2004.

I'm not sure where you get your information but it's wrong. Did you sail in a suite? I know from experience, our first DCL cruise was in a 1 bedroom suite with concierge services on the Wonder in the summer of 2000. We have also sailed concierge for each cruise after with the exception of the 2007 WBTA which was booked as a last minute mom/daughter cruise.

Could it be because Easter is in mid to late April next year?

I know that for DVC points (at the resorts) the highest season moved from March this year to April next year. I think that a lot of schools have their break around Easter.

Yep. I was just going to say if they are looking at the 15th, that is the day before Easter next year, so many schools that have the week after Easter as Spring Break will be on vacation then.

Agreed. No cruise line wants capacity that low. It actually DOESN'T even out at all. That's 30% less being paid out to staff in tips, for one thing. 30% fewer people buying alcohol and soivenirs, booking excursions, and paying for upcharge restaurants. A 70% sailing rate on a regular basis would be a disaster for a cruise line used to 90/95+%
I agree thats why they offer discounts to fill the last 30% of rooms. Its impressive how many rooms they can fill at full price. I always wonder how many rooms they sell at the highest price such as 6 months out or so. I figure there's a certain percentage of people with deep pockets that really dont bother to price shop.

I agree thats why they offer discounts to fill the last 30% of rooms. Its impressive how many rooms they can fill at full price. I always wonder how many rooms they sell at the highest price such as 6 months out or so. I figure there's a certain percentage of people with deep pockets that really dont bother to price shop.

There are also people who try and price shop but need to book far in advance due to scheduling difficulties or simply can't (or won't) pull their kids out of school. That leaves them to pay full price or don't sail Disney. I've been in that situation and it isn't any fun. I wish I could afford the luxury of a last minute discounted cruise, and by afford, I don't mean in terms of dollars.

Maybe someday.

There are also people who try and price shop but need to book far in advance due to scheduling difficulties or simply can't (or won't) pull their kids out of school. That leaves them to pay full price or don't sail Disney. I've been in that situation and it isn't any fun. I wish I could afford the luxury of a last minute discounted cruise, and by afford, I don't mean in terms of dollars.

Maybe someday.
I would assume school schedules is what locks most people into certain weeks. I cant imagine any job other than being a teacher that would require booking a years in advance. I would think the percentage of people that cant plan that far ahead to outweigh those that can.

Not sure even about the supply and demand argument. The wonder cruise we just got off was empty. EMPTY. No exagguration. Asked some of the crew members about it-- they said yes, very few passengers. We were on the Wonder before christmas as well, so we had a comparison. It was packed at christmas.

I expirienced the same as OP we have taken the same DCL Wonder cruise 2years in a row over spring break. When we priced out 2016, it was more than double the price.

The pp expirience is interesting-the first year we did Spring break wonder there were mostly return cruisers, however last year there were very few.

I, too, am shocked at how substantially the prices have increased. We've been sailing on DCL, almost yearly since 2011 and every year the prices have skyrocketed. We were booked on 2 Magic European B2B's this upcoming summer, but changed our plans. When I went to transfer the one non-refundable concierge deposit, I found the prices so astronomical for 2017 that I just couldn't stomach it. Especially after booking a Celebrity Royal Suite with everything included (premium dining, wi-fi, alcohol, etc.) for about half the price of a 1-bedroom on a similar DCL cruise. It's just not worth the money anymore. I will most likely book a 3 or 4 night Dream cruise in an oceanview or inside just to not lose the deposit. Otherwise, $14K for a 7-night Star Wars cruise in concierge for a family of 3? We can get a 2-bedroom villa at the Four Seasons in Nevis for less than that! No more DCL for us.

We are doing our second DCL cruise in April 2017 and it will be our last one due to the price hike. We are travelling from Australia to do it and it just doesnt make sense to us why the increase is so much. We did western cruise on 2014 and now will be doing the eastern cruise in 2017 but I think after our next one it will be our last with DCL which is a shame. We have been looking at RCCL and it seems so much cheaper to cruise with RCCL as an example. We have done Carnival Spirit around the Pacific Islands and tha was great too so for us it will be time to look for a new cruising company which is a shame as my DDs just luv all thinkgs Disney but with their continued price increases it just makes it hard to continue cruising with DCL.

I booked my spring break 2017 cruise on opening day. It was expensive to me then but more affordable than a summer cruise so I booked. It has gone up 2k and were still a year away. If I had waited, we would definitely be priced out. Now with the Oasis coming to Port Canaveral, I'm considering jumping ship. It's about 2k cheaper than my current rate.

I loved my 3 cruises with DCL but they priced me out. My daughter and I are sailing on the Oasis of the Seas in July and paying $3100 and the Fantasy was going for $5700 the last time I checked for an equivalent room.
I'm thrilled to be doing our first DCL cruise.. But honestly if my son was a little older I would have chosen the Oasis of the Seas. RCL has some amazing ships right now..and in my opinion more family activities/amenities that will appeal to boys and girls over age 7.
I'm waiting on DCL to release summer '17 Mediterranean prices/itineraries..and depending on the cost I may go RCL-who btw have their newest ships sailing in the Med right now.

After 2 consecutive Fantasy cruises in 2/15 and 2/16 we decided to book next years with NCL for the same week. NCL we booked a balcony room for 4 people with free alcohol and 5 restaurant upgrades and $200 OBC for $3400 for a family of 4. We were not willing to pay disney prices again and felt like we needed to explore other options so we would know if sailing with Disney is worth the price. Our first fantasy cruise the service was impeccable however our second cruise did not measure up service wise. Its time for our family to explore something new and see how they compare.

Everyone needs to get on the same page and say;.....enough is enough....... and stop cruisin' with DCL till they start lowering the prices with in reason , are we all fools to give money away to them?
This guy [ the Hoosier Daddy ] is not, that's why after 13 DCL cruises in 11 years , I say NO MORE! We cancelled our 5/16, Magic eastern cruse and our 11/16, Dream cruise......DCL can put " it " where the Horizon does not shine till they do something with their high pricing. Remember people its our money that got them where the are today.

I expirienced the same as OP we have taken the same DCL Wonder cruise 2years in a row over spring break. When we priced out 2016, it was more than double the price.

The pp expirience is interesting-the first year we did Spring break wonder there were mostly return cruisers, however last year there were very few.
I noticed this on our last cruise. Only a handful of repeat cruisers.

Everyone needs to get on the same page and say;.....enough is enough....... and stop cruisin' with DCL till they start lowering the prices with in reason , are we all fools to give money away to them?
This guy [ the Hoosier Daddy ] is not, that's why after 13 DCL cruises in 11 years , I say NO MORE! We cancelled our 5/16, Magic eastern cruse and our 11/16, Dream cruise......DCL can put " it " where the Horizon does not shine till they do something with their high pricing. Remember people its our money that got them where the are today.
I have been around these boards long enough to see that some people are Disney obsessed OCD planners that feel their life is not complete unless they have a DCL or WDW vacation booked. Those people will always book on opening day. They may cancel...because you know a lot can change in a year, but they do contribute to driving up the prices. I agree with you though. I waited almost a year to get the discount I knew was coming on the extremely over priced Iceland cruise. If people don't book they will have to lower their prices.

I'm not sure where you get your information but it's wrong. Did you sail in a suite? I know from experience, our first DCL cruise was in a 1 bedroom suite with concierge services on the Wonder in the summer of 2000. We have also sailed concierge for each cruise after with the exception of the 2007 WBTA which was booked as a last minute mom/daughter cruise.
Pulled out the brochure. It does in fact list Concierge Service for the Walt and Roy Suite, but not for Category 2 (2 bedroom suite) or Category 3 (1 bedroom suite). Guess I shouldn't trust the brochure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter