2 thumbs down for new “Turning Red” movie

DD21 liked it, but said she couldn’t relate to it. She’s Encanto obsessed though so maybe that’s influencing her. She did really like the animation style.

I am a mother who also went through puberty. Was I boy crazy? Yes. I was not that boy crazy. Am I an overbearing, overly cautious helicopter mom? Yes. Not as bad as her mom however. My daughter enjoyed it. But Pixar movies typically invoke so much emotion and despite two opportunities for me to relate to characters It didn’t. Definitely a one and done for me.

I liked it better the second time I watched. The main character was less annoying, I guess because I knew what to expect. I would still put it towards the back when it comes to ranking Pixar movies but it was still well done and watchable.

i love all things pixar. looked forward to it but just not a fan. i think because i didn't preview and watched with my tween. i probably would have waited a few years to enjoy with her. not appropriate. not bad. just ok.

i love all things pixar. looked forward to it but just not a fan. i think because i didn't preview and watched with my tween. i probably would have waited a few years to enjoy with her. not appropriate. not bad. just ok.
What was inappropriate about it?

- The references or the entire movie being a metaphor for menstruation?
- Disobeying your parents?
- The devastating effect overbearing parents can have on their children?
- Teenage love for boys and boybands?
- The greed Mei displays when she asks for $200 for a performance instead of the missing $100 they need?
- The concert venue letting in minors without supervision?
-The countless deaths and casualties Ming caused by trashing the venue?
- Ripping off the Care Bears with that final scene with the singing together in a circle to break the evil? (was I the only one who thought that or am I really showing my age now ;) )

I liked it, but don't think it is Pixar's best. Nice middle of the road. Some great moments and unique spins.
Nice to see an Asian overbearing mother not just because Asian stereotypes, but also in this case there is a good reason for keeping a close eye on her daughter.

I haven't seen it yet as I didn't like the trailer. The good reviews have sparked my interest and I will watch it. However I doubt I would have gone to the cinema, because I know it will end up on Disney +.

This fits me too. The previews did not appeal to me, but seeing the reviews I now am curious enough to watch it at some point on D+. But I still would not have been interested enough to have paid to see it at the theater.

I wouldn't say it was bad. It was cute and had it's moments, but I will say the theme was targeted toward an older demographic than I realized before sitting down with my 5 year old to watch it. I loved the whole boy band craze and thought the friendship between the girls was cute, but I didn't love the overbearing/crazy mom trope or the idea that at 13, Mei was "grown."

What was inappropriate about it?

- The references or the entire movie being a metaphor for menstruation?
- Disobeying your parents?
- The devastating effect overbearing parents can have on their children?
- Teenage love for boys and boybands?
- The greed Mei displays when she asks for $200 for a performance instead of the missing $100 they need?
- The concert venue letting in minors without supervision?
-The countless deaths and casualties Ming caused by trashing the venue?
- Ripping off the Care Bears with that final scene with the singing together in a circle to break the evil? (was I the only one who thought that or am I really showing my age now ;) )

I liked it, but don't think it is Pixar's best. Nice middle of the road. Some great moments and unique spins.
Nice to see an Asian overbearing mother not just because Asian stereotypes, but also in this case there is a good reason for keeping a close eye on her daughter.

I watched this with my 5 year old and wouldn't call it inappropriate - rather, maybe content a little older than my 5 year old would understand. I see nothing "inappropriate" about menstruation. It's a natural bodily function for women.

I can agree with you, however, on the lying/disobeying your parents thing and I also felt that 13 was too young to be depicted as being "grown."

I watched this with my 5 year old and wouldn't call it inappropriate - rather, maybe content a little older than my 5 year old would understand. I see nothing "inappropriate" about menstruation. It's a natural bodily function for women.

I can agree with you, however, on the lying/disobeying your parents thing and I also felt that 13 was too young to be depicted as being "grown."
There comes a time when you start agreeing with the parent in a Disney movie. At that time you know: I am now offically a grown up ;-)
dont-know-him.jpg

Or millennials like me who were 13/14 back in 2002. Took me right back to middle school, and all the agony and the ecstasy that came with it. Anyways, I loved it. Loved the anime influences, all the Chinese culture, the pre-teen-ness of it all. One of my Pixar faves now, for sure.

Yup! It was hitting on so much nostalgia for me. I thought it was great.

Yup! It was hitting on so much nostalgia for me. I thought it was great.

After we watched it separately, my mom and I talked about when she shuttled a carload of us over to Giants Stadium for an NSYNC concert, and my friends and I were all screaming for four hours while she sat (pre-smartphone era) trying not to get a headache from it all 😄 Good times!

There comes a time when you start agreeing with the parent in a Disney movie. At that time you know: I am now offically a grown up ;-)
dont-know-him.jpg

Yes, but I do think the point is that Triton is automatically assuming the worst about people while Ariel is choosing to see the best. I think that Ariel has the better attitude - even if it's not necessarily for the right reasons.

dont-know-him.jpg

OMG don't even get me started on Ariel! The Little Mermaid used to be my favorite as a kid, and now i'm like she's SIXTEEN and wanting to leave her entire life and literally give up her ability to SPEAK for some dude she's never met. King Tritan is the only sane one in this movie.

OMG don't even get me started on Ariel! The Little Mermaid used to be my favorite as a kid, and now i'm like she's SIXTEEN and wanting to leave her entire life and literally give up her ability to SPEAK for some dude she's never met. King Tritan is the only sane one in this movie.

One thing you have to take at face value in fairy tales and Disney movies is that the characters are 100% what they are. Yes, in the real world stuff like that doesn't work out, but in those worlds, the "love at first sight" works because the characters are in fact exactly what they are judged to be. They aren't that complex nor do they require logical scrutiny. Eric, and all other princes are 100% good and the perfect match for the princess in question. While Ariel's judgement may seem suspect, she's the one seeing things the most clearly. She does get in over her head, but that's where the drama comes from.

Triton is not really the sane one. He's very closed minded and is actively pushing his daughter away. He'd be better off seeking to understand and maybe even compromising a little bit. He does come around in the end, but he's the one who needed to learn a lesson.

Last edited:
Watched it with my DD26, DD21, and DH. I think my DH fell asleep but that's typical. My DDs and I laughed hysterically at some moments in the beginning but then we started getting a little bored with it. We all agreed that my DGS9 and DGS7 (their nephews) would probably not make it more than a few minutes unless their curiosity to see the red panda kept them watching. The comments about periods didn't really bother me. If my grandsons asked what the mom was talking about I would just say it's something for when girls get older. I was more bothered by the attitude that the friends are more important and know better than the parents. It's certainly no Monsters, Inc. or Toy Story but it was watchable at least once.

am I the only one who has been 13? There were definitely days where my friends were more important and “knew better” than my parents. To me at the time. This is a movie from a 13 yr old’s perspective and everyone seems bothered that she doesn’t behave the way adults think kids should behave. I think that means Pixar got it right?

Funny, I’m both a millennial and a Canadian, but I didn’t care at all for this movie. Truthfully, I found it boring, and found most of the characters annoying to boot. Did anyone notice how Mei pronounced the letter ‘z’? That was a huge miss IM0.

Funny, I’m both a millennial and a Canadian, but I didn’t care at all for this movie. Truthfully, I found it boring, and found most of the characters annoying to boot. Did anyone notice how Mei pronounced the letter ‘z’? That was a huge miss IM0.
How did she say it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter