160 AKV contracts

TinkB278

DIS Veteran
Just curious and wondering if anyone knows why there are so many 160 point AKV contracts out there? It seems like this is such a common contract size and I don’t really ever seen any 130, 140, or 150 point contracts. Is there some reason 160 is so common? It seems like such an odd number.

LOL thanks for asking. i was curious myself. i do have a 160 point contract waiting for ROFR.

160 points may have been the minimum buy in at the time when AKV opened. It was 230 points when OKW first opened.

I purchased a 160 point resale AKV contract about 2 years ago. At the time there were tons of 160 point ones via resale based on it being the minimum for sometime in the past.

160 was the standard back in 2009-2011 period. It is IMO the perfect size for the resorts at that time, and we have been very happy with our 160 BLT. 160 contracts sell very well as resale also. Above 200 and it seems to be harder to sell.

160 was the standard back in 2009-2011 period. It is IMO the perfect size for the resorts at that time, and we have been very happy with our 160 BLT. 160 contracts sell very well as resale also. Above 200 and it seems to be harder to sell.
This is great to hear! I’ve been pondering how many points I need.

When DVC began sales in 1991, the minimum point purchase for a new member buying from DVD was 230 points. That changed after a couple years to 190 points and then a couple years later to 150 and then to 160 in the latter part of the 1990s. That 160 minimum existed until the Great Recession. AKV went on sale in 2007, with that 160 point minimum, and much of it was sold before the changes that were made during the Great Recession. It was during the Great Recession that DVD lowered the required purchase to 100 points and often to as low as 50 points (including at AKV), That 100 point, and at times lower, minimum continues to exist today. The existence of a lot of 160-point AKV resale contracts reflects that a lot of its sales from DVD to new purchasers took place when the 160-point minimum was in place.

When DVC began sales in 1991, the minimum point purchase for a new member buying from DVD was 230 points. That changed after a couple years to 190 points and then a couple years later to 150 and then to 160 in the latter part of the 1990s. That 160 minimum existed until the Great Recession. AKV went on sale in 2007, with that 160 point minimum, and much of it was sold before the changes that were made during the Great Recession. It was during the Great Recession that DVD lowered the required purchase to 100 points and often to as low as 50 points (including at AKV), That 100 point, and at times lower, minimum continues to exist today. The existence of a lot of 160-point AKV resale contracts reflects that a lot of its sales from DVD to new purchasers took place when the 160-point minimum was in place.
Yup, 160 was the minimum at AKV when we bought (thus why my first contract is 160 AKV that we bough direct in 2008).

160 was definitely the minimum buy in for a few years. We bought SSR direct in 2007 (we were choosing between AKV & SSR). They would not allow the initial 160 to be broken into smaller Contracts. I know this because we tried. Our initial purchase was 225 points. We broke it into 2 Contracts, 160 and 65. We broke all direct add-on Contracts after that into small Contracts, but the initial 160 could not be broken up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter