$10 No Show Reservation Fee

I would say over the course of 20yrs of vacationing at WDW annually, on average, we made about 3/4 of our PS reservations per trip. I never doubled-up on ressies in the same day to cheat the system, and if I knew we weren't going either the night before or earlier on the day-of, I did call Disney Dining if time permitted (sometimes there was a long hold time).

I do like a planned vacation. But every vacation needs a little room for flexibility, whether that flexibility be a change of mind, or an illness, or something else that changes your plans. And those changes don't always happen 24hrs in advance.

Ever feel like staying at the MK instead of leaving to go make a dinner ressie at Epcot? Ever have a member of your party not feel well? Ever treat the family to a Mickey bar maybe a little too late in the afternoon and realize dropping $200 on a sit-down dinner at 6p is probably going to be a waste of money? Ever see the kids enjoying the afternoon poolside games and not want to spoil their fun by pulling them out? Ever want to have a little spontaneity in your vacation?

Perhaps you travel at less busy times of the year, or are dining at less competitive restaurants, but I have not found that the ADRs are easier to get now that a cancellation fee has been implemented. I have school-aged children, so we have to visit when the crowd levels are high. I have to book ADRs, and usually well in advance. The past 2 trips, with the new system in place, I can honestly say has reduced our flexibility, added stress, and in some ways detracted from the overall relaxation and enjoyment of the vacation.
Then don't make reservations. Wing it. Seriously. Guests who want the flexibility of dining somewhere on the spur of the moment can do that. They just need to be flexible. Or understand that the credit card they provided to hold the ADR will be charged the no-show fee. Or not have thar round of Mickey Bars so close to dinner.

DVCinderella said:
That is absolutely not true. They used to call it "Priority Seating", which it is and always has been despite the addition of the penalty fee. Disney is not leaving empty tables with a "Reserved" table card on it for you. As people with Priority Seating ressies would check in at the podium, they took priority over walk-ups. But often even with a Priority Seating ressie you had a wait because you had to wait for the next available table to open up. Again, Disney was not holding a table waiting for you to show up.

The process has not changed at all. There are still no "Reserved" table cards. Disney is not losing any money if you don't show. They are still filling the tables as people show up (both those with ressies and walk-ups). Disney has only found a way to make more money by charging no show fees. It is truly a rip off, and quite frankly adds unnecessary stress during a time when you are supposed to be enjoying your vacation.

Priority Seating = Advance Dining Reservation = Call Ahead Seating at your local chain restaurant.
True, Walt Disney World isn't holding a table with a reserved sign. What they are holding, though, is the reservation. For you. You cancelling your reservation on short notice prevents others who wanted to eat there from beingcable to make ADRs. Not every restaurant takes walkups.

WDW restaurants operated for over forty years without penalizing no-shows. The income is secondary. Computerized or verbal alerts warning of duplicate ADR timing didn't work, so Disney finally instituted a financial penalty designed to get guests to be more proactive about cancelling reservations - or to show up for them.

Perhaps you travel at less busy times of the year, or are dining at less competitive restaurants, but I have not found that the ADRs are easier to get now that a cancellation fee has been implemented. I have school-aged children, so we have to visit when the crowd levels are high. I have to book ADRs, and usually well in advance. The past 2 trips, with the new system in place, I can honestly say has reduced our flexibility, added stress, and in some ways detracted from the overall relaxation and enjoyment of the vacation.

The very first trip to WDW after the no show fee was started was during Spring Break. It still wasn't a problem.

And before this is brought up, yes, I have been to the parks with children. One as young as 3 months. And over 20 years I can still count on one hand the number of ADRs we have missed. I think it all depends on how you view them. As a convenience that a guest should be able to toss? Or as an appointment you should keep if you can.

Once I was charged when I didn't show by accident - I forgot I had an ADR scheduled and by the time I realized it, it was way to late to try to get there.

Another time I wasn't charged when I expected to be - my DD15 got sick and I went back to the resort with her to make sure she got back ok and then decided I didn't feel like going back to the park since my DS18 didn't want to go back either. I expected to see that 30.00 charge and never was charged for it. I did call the dining line and explained I had a sick kid so that might be why.

Once. I was making ADRs for a trip 180 out and didn't notice the date reset to "today" when I was checking back and forth. I called right away freaking out because the res was for 8. Thank goodness they understood!

When did this start? I only remember it being for restaurants that you had to pay a reservation "hold" fee....

Thank you for this information! I have a few related questions about this "partial no-show" situation.

1) If on the dining plan, will meals be deducted for the "no-shows?"

2) Do any of you know any TS restaurants that allow guests to take-out food for the few who couldn't make it to the dinner?

1. Your meal credits will not be deducted.

2. In general, the restaurants at Disney are not set up to do "to-go" orders.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter