10 Days Solo - Once in a Lifetime to Satisfy the Nostalgic Urge *Updated May 8th*

KristieK13

Earning My Ears
Hi!

I'm Kristie and I'm from somewhere in Ontario Canada.

I went to Disney World a lot as a kid- my parents would drive us down to Florida over 2 days in their van, pulling a tent trailer behind us and parking it at Fort Wilderness Campground. When my sister and I started dancing competitively and travelling across the country and the US, we had to give up our Disney trips.

Those memories lived on in the form of tiny cassette tapes from my dad's giant video recorder and I obsessively watched them as I grew older and more aware of the realities of life that don't exactly paint things in such a rosy picture. Those videos represented the happiest times in my life, when everything was simple and exciting and full of Disney! Now as an adult filled with the same anxieties and issues as most people over the age of 30, I am really drawn to Disney and reliving the picture perfect vacations that I remember so fondly.

I got a small taste of Disney in February of 2020, when I was able to visit the World for just over 30 hours. This was before the pandemic that shall not be named hit hard, as I'm sure you'll remember. I had taken a solo trip on a cruise to the Bahamas (out of Port Canaveral) for a friend's wedding, and while I couldn't afford a full on trip and had a 4 month old puppy at home to take care of, I tacked on 1 extra night before my flight home to visit my "home away from home" for the first time in about 20 years.

I did 8 hours in Magic Kingdom and a wander through Disney Springs before crashing at my hotel (Wyndham Garden) for a 1 night stay. The next morning, I managed to squeeze in Hollywood Studios for 5 hours before returning to Disney Springs to finish up some shopping and catching an Uber to the airport.

It was 30 hours of bliss and after that small appetizer of Disney, I wanted the full meal. I started planning my next trip as soon as I got home. I regretted not going to EPCOT during what I believe was the Festival of the Arts as that was my original plan before deviating to Hollywood Studios after getting food poisoning on the cruise the night before disembarkation and being encouraged to visit Galaxy's Edge by an enthusiastic Cast Member in Magic Kingdom while I was charging my phone at their DVC booth.

During the pandemic, my sister and brother in law gave me a nephew (we'll call him J) and I have never been so obsessed with anything in my entire life. I cannot wait to bring him to Disney when he's old enough (literally counting down the days... I'm thinking age 3 will be perfect).

However, knowing that eventually all my Disney trips would revolve around my nephew, I decided now was the time for me to take the ULTIMATE trip to do everything MY way. This is the trip for ME and no one else.

And so, I've booked my flights for September 12-22, 2022. I'm going to spend 10 days in the happiest place on earth all by myself to relive the past, enjoy the present, and prepare for my future of seeing the parks through J's eyes.

I have some plans already made and I will post them soon.

Last edited:
Hello fellow Ontarian!! :wave:

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned. I will be sure to check back to see what your plans are.

Solo trips are the best!
I did my first back in September of 2017 and have my next one coming up at the end of April. :cool1:

Hello fellow Ontarian!! :wave:

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned. I will be sure to check back to see what your plans are.

Solo trips are the best!
I did my first back in September of 2017 and have my next one coming up at the end of April. :cool1:

:wave: Hi!!

I have travelled solo a lot over the years- single girl life! I did my first solo trip to France when I was 23. I agree- its a good time, especially when you are obsessed with planning like I am :) I can do whatever I please!!

Can't wait to share more! Thanks for following!

I am excited to read about your solo adventure! I so want to do one, but I am still nervous.

I'll be in The World for just about the same dates; Sept 10 to 20.

I'm looking forward to reading abut your plans and trip!

So I have taken quite a while to get around to posting again- I spilled a coke into my keyboard a while ago and the keys are super sticky despite my best attempts at cleaning so it is very difficult to type long posts!

I recently found out that my inbound flight has been changed to 3 hours later than planned which really screws up my plans for my arrival day that I had planned meticulously! Oh well- might have to cut out my planned visit to Disney Springs in the evening depending on how I feel, but I will make up for it later in the trip!

Speaking of arrival day, here are my altered plans:

September 12th, 2022

My flight arrives at approximately 1pm. I have booked a Mears bus to transport me to my hotel (Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista). I've budgeted a 2 hour timeframe to allow for flight delays and/or traffic etc to arrive at the hotel. From there, I'll give myself an hour to get settled into my room. I am definitely someone who likes to unpack and get organized as soon as possible!

No rest from the travelling- we're in DISNEY (but also I planned this to be an early evening to make sure I can get up in time for early theme park entry the next day).

From here, I'll catch an Uber to the Target area near the Vineland outlets. I plan to visit the Ross and Marshalls- some of my fav places to shop while visiting the US. In Canada we have many of the same stores that the US has so I like to go places that have different brands I wouldn't see at home.

I also want to check out the Aldi- there are so many videos on YouTube about Aldi and my curiosity is peaked!! Next, I'll head to Target (the mothership) to browse the clothing and shoes, but also to pick up some snacks, bevies, etc for the hotel room.

I have just discovered that there is a Shake Shack and Chick Fil-A right next to the Target so... depending on my mood, I'll go for one of those. Probably Shake Shack because thats where I started my last trip to Orlando. But maybe I'll still grab some chicken nuggets on top of that because I haven't had Chick Fil-A in about 5 years and I need to know if their nuggets are still not as good as the ones I make... you know. For science.

Catching an Uber back to the hotel and calling it an early night as I'm sure I will be tired from the day of travel and shopping. Plus, its going to be an early morning to make sure I'm one of the first in the parks for my grand return!

Well thats the plans for my first day. Just a day to get settled and pick up the essentials to prepare for a BUSY 10 days at Disney!

Last edited:

The first half of my trip will have 4 mornings of early magic hours. The second half will be more.... forgiving.

Officially Day 1 in the World!!

If you didn't start your Disney vacation in Magic Kingdom, did you really do it right?

Whatever early park hours are for Disney hotel guests (or in my case, Disney Springs area hotel guests), I'll be there with bells on! I plan to hit up some Fantasy land rides to avoid long lines (I'm looking at you, Peter Pan, Small World, and Haunted Mansion) before making my way to Sleepy Hollow for that incredible looking fresh fruit waffle sandwich! The breakfast of champions!

Next, I'll make my way through Adventureland (Pirates and Jungle Cruise) before hitting up the Spring Roll cart to indulge in some cheeseburger spring rolls... HEAVEN.

I'm thinking that I'll head back into Fantasyland again to visit some of the less busy rides (Philharmagic, Carrousel, Winnie the Pooh, and the Teacups) to conclude my afternoon.

In the early evening, I plan to board the Monorail for a scenic journey around Disney until I reach the Poly for some dinner (Tambu Lounge for the secret Ohana menu) and a few cocktails if I can manage to squeeze into Trader Sams. I've also heard good things about the cocktails at the Barefoot Pool bar- which is where I plan to end my bar hopping. Finishing the night off with views of Enchanted from the Poly beach.

Finally, I'll hop on a bus back to Disney Springs and walk across the street to my hotel to probably pass out in bed from the day I've been dreaming about for years... Wonder what I'll dream about after this one comes true?

Sounds wonderful!

I, too, always start my WDW trip in the Magic Kingdom. Only way to do it!

I have been hesitant to start writing about Day 2 because as recently as last night at 2am, the plans have changed!

What hasn't changed is the fact that this will be my early park entry day for Hollywood Studios! I plan to be there 30 mins ahead of park opening to maximize my chances of doing Runaway Railway and Smuggler's Run before official park opening... at which point I'll head to Ronto Roasters for a breakfast wrap!

Next up: the first daily showing of Indiana Stunt show! I am exceptionally excited for this as I haven't seen it in about 24 years and I have such fond memories of it. If they are doing audience participation by then, I am going to flail my arms in such an obnoxious way they won't be able to pass over me. The absolute DREAM.

I've left some time for wandering/shopping before lunchtime, which will be Baseline Taphouse! As a soft pretzel connoisseur, I need to try theirs out after hearing such great reviews paired with a cider on tap.

From there, I'll head down the street to the greatest attraction in all of Hollywood...Muppet Vision 3D. Do not come for me. It is an international TREASURE.

That wraps up my time in Hollywood studios for the day- I'll be back later in the week and I don't want to overdo it on my first few days. I'll take the bus to Disney Springs for some leisurely shopping, dinner at Polite Pig, and if I time it right, I'll be able to enjoy a Dole Whip at Swirls while admiring the sunset from the edge of the water. Heading back to the hotel for an early bedtime so I can make my 3rd consecutive early morning park hour on Day 3!

Coming up next: My first ever EPCOT festival experience!

Last edited:
Full steam ahead with Day 3!

This day will also start with extra early morning hours, but this time for EPCOT! I haven't been to EPCOT since 1993. The only core memory I have of EPCOT is of "chasing" the jumping fountains with my cousins. This was also the trip when we were there at the same time they were filming the Full House episode, and managed to catch some behind the scenes action, a few autographs, and my dad even got in trouble from a body guard for filming one of the twins having a tantrum because she couldn't go on one of the rides lol (it was Tomorrowland speedway... girl, you're not missing out on much). This is not the only celebrity sighting we've had at Disney- we also have home videos from March 1990 of my sister and I trying on sombreros in Mexico while my dad tries to inconspicuously film Howie Mandel in the background. After a google search, it seems he may have been there to film the Easter parade special.

Anyways, tangent over!

I plan to spend the morning in World Nature/Celebration. Nemo, Soarin, The Land, and Figment followed by a stroll around Canada, the UK, and France. Hopefully I'll be able to nab a ride on Remy before I board a friendship boat, head back to World Celebration, and ride Spaceship Earth on my way out of the park.

I have not added any plans for food in EPCOT. I'm going to go with the flow, and by flow I mean whatever my catches my eye between the festival booths and/or quick service/snack stands. I very much plan to graze rather than have sit down meals. I want to maximize my stomach's capacity to try different things.

Around mid-afternoon, I'll be catching an Uber straight to the Vineland outlets for my 3rd (and final) 'shopping block' in 4 days. The reason I have most of my shopping in the first half of my trip is that I'm looking for things to wear during the trip! I'll be packing light to leave room in my suitcases for new clothes and souvenirs.

After the outlets, I'll Uber back to Disney Springs for dinner at Homecomin! Okra fries, Fried Chicken, and finishing off with one of the cakes... shine cake or hummingbird cake, that is the question!!

Then back to the hotel to pass out as early as possible for my 4th and final early park morning of the trip... (don't worry- I will be going back to the parks. Just no more early morning hours!)

Coming up next...my FIRST EVER time in Animal Kingdom!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter