Zika virus Bahamas

M_killer

Earning My Ears
Hi, I am going on 3 day disney cruise to bahamas this May longweekend. We stop at Nassau and castaway cay for like 8 hours each. I am afraid about recent zika virus cases in Nassau. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it okay to visit as we're staying for only 8 hours in the day time.

Well, are you pregnant? Planning to become pregnant soon? That is the main risk factor with Zika.

No. Am not, but am on H1 visa. Am even worried if there will be any extra blood tests while coming back to US and cause any issues for entering US

Do you have any solid reason for that concern? Because I haven't seen Zika linked to visa issues anywhere. It's not considered a danger on the same level of Ebola or similar.

Ohh cause I remember seeing some signs in airports during immigration people coming from zika infected countries follow some other queue.

Which airport? You could call the specific airport you fly into and check to see if they have special screening for that and what it entails?

From what I can tell, the ones that consider themselves Zika gateways are doing their best to educate people. No active screening except they're on the lookout for symptoms. If they see symptoms in legal travelers, they refer those people to secondary screening and the CDC. I found one article that said that if they see illegal immigrants with symptoms they will quarantine those from the healthy illegal immigrants. Who knows why.

But the gist I found was that CDC doesn't recommend special screening because it doesn't do much good. Most people who contract the virus don't show any symptoms at all. Additionally all of the travel warnings focus on pregnancy and sexual transmission. Basically, wear mosquito repellent and make your partner wear a condom during sex.

There have been visa issues due to the recent politics and that's shown up in the news a lot. But it's not linked to disease that I can tell. And honestly, anything that could affect re-entry could also affect your status if you did not travel. The political scrutiny is supposedly aimed at preventing fraud but who knows.

Which airport? You could call the specific airport you fly into and check to see if they have special screening for that and what it entails?

From what I can tell, the ones that consider themselves Zika gateways are doing their best to educate people. No active screening except they're on the lookout for symptoms. If they see symptoms in legal travelers, they refer those people to secondary screening and the CDC. I found one article that said that if they see illegal immigrants with symptoms they will quarantine those from the healthy illegal immigrants. Who knows why.

But the gist I found was that CDC doesn't recommend special screening because it doesn't do much good. Most people who contract the virus don't show any symptoms at all. Additionally all of the travel warnings focus on pregnancy and sexual transmission. Basically, wear mosquito repellent and make your partner wear a condom during sex.

There have been visa issues due to the recent politics and that's shown up in the news a lot. But it's not linked to disease that I can tell. And honestly, anything that could affect re-entry could also affect your status if you did not travel. The political scrutiny is supposedly aimed at preventing fraud but who knows.

Hmm thank you so much for your reply. Am a bit relaxed now! This is our first time on a cruise and we are not sure what all preventive measures does the cruise take. And I was all excited about beaches and sun again CDC asks to wear long sleeves and full pants This virus is disappointing

Hmm thank you so much for your reply. Am a bit relaxed now! This is our first time on a cruise and we are not sure what all preventive measures does the cruise take. And I was all excited about beaches and sun again CDC asks to wear long sleeves and full pants This virus is disappointing

I'm glad that I made you feel better.

Also consider (and research) where mosquitos are likely to be in your port stops. They like still fresh water and thick vegetation. I've been bit in the woods and at the lake but never on a beach. So I wouldn't think you need to wear long pants or long sleeves on the beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter